Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Water Leak – Insurance Question
  • Coyote
    Free Member

So, we have had a leak in the shower caused by the sealant failing. This has resulted in some damage to the timbers and the downstairs ceiling. Rang the insurance to claim ad was very politely informed that leakage caused by failed sealant or grout etc. isn’t covered on the policy. Not sure when this became a ‘thing’ as I know quite a few people who have claimed for the same. Anyone else had this? Post Office Insurance BTW so not some little fly-by-night.

spooky_b329

Think it’s quite normal for damage occuring over time to not be covered, that’s more maintenance I would have thought? Pipe burst causing a flood… Covered.

dknwhy

Read your policy for the specific clause.

I had a shower leak once (not sealant). They covered the damage caused but not the issue itself.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I think exclusion of damage due to ‘escape of water’ has become more common recently. From memory, it was added to our policy about 2 years ago, or it might just have been made more prominent. My guess is that it may because of fraudulent claims, eg, slacken a pipe joint and get new furnishings.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

If it was deemed to be a gradually operating cause. Ie it’s been leaking long enough for the timbers to decay it’s unlikely to be covered. Was there no evidence of staining on the ceiling ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Water Leak – Insurance Question’ is closed to new replies.