Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • water bottle with built in tool storgae?
  • escrs
    Free Member

Does it exist?

Need to carry fluid and tools (tube,tyre lever, co2 canister) on the bike and only have one bottle cage and don’t like to strap things to my bike or carry anything in my pockets and i don’t like Hydration packs

I was wondering if anyone makes say a 500ml water bottle that has a 400ml tool storage cap that screws on to the bottom?

Would mean you could carry your drink and tools all in one bottle

nickfrog
    Free Member

Sounds like an idea à though perhaps a bit of a nich product as they’re would only be a small fluid capacity and/or a small tool capacity.

akira

Topeak do their ninja range which might help you a bit.

damascus
    Free Member

How many cages do you have?

I carry water in one cage and tools and spares in the other.

Can you attach anything to the underneath of the bottle cage rather than limit the water in a bottle?

BearBack
    Free Member

Syncros have gone even deeper with there cage/tool/pump line this year.

kiwijohn

Syncros also make a bottle cage with toolkit underneath. Looks very tidy and you can still use a full size bottle.

BearBack
    Free Member

null
    orand

BearBack
    Free Member

to completely overwhelm you with posts:

review

Poopscoop
    Pridds
    Poopscoop

That Syncros is quite nice. Shame there is no 6mm Allen key though. You’d be buggered trying to get your stealth maxle or whatever out.

BearBack
    Free Member

the new tailor IS cage does. The others not.
    I carry an older matchbox 16 without a 6mm but the T30 serves as a 6mm for Oneup axles and other straight thru 6mms.. but not for 6mm pedals or other closed end 6mm bolts though which once a year is really annoying!.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you have less bottle cage mounts than you want, grab something like this Topeak adjustable mount https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=312047&productId=1371241&storeId=10001

Can be fitted on seat post or bars, currently £7, but they were ~£4 during the summer.

mattbee

I have a Specialized Zee cage with their Swat multitool on the bottom. Topeak pump next to it, one with a co2 inflated valve thing built into the handle end. Have a Co2 cartridge in the steerer tube (in a sleeve made from a bit of an old ESI grip) & the pump bracket will take 2 more cartridges. Samauri tubeless repair kit in bar ends.
    Along with a Maxxis lightweight tube in a tube tarp in the seat/down tube junction most eventualities are covered.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys

Bike can only take one bottle cage with no room underneath the cage, Ive seen the double cages you can buy but don’t want that on the bike

I’m not going to strap anything to the bike, it’s carbon and cost me over 6k so there’s no way in hell im strapping stuff to it plus im want to keep its clean looking lines, so im looking for a neat solution to carrying a tube, co2 canister and tyre lever whilst still carrying a water bottle with around 500ml of fluid, that’s all i need to carry

Already have the Specialized swat tool in the steerer tube so that’s a multi tool and chain link tool sorted

What i really want is a 900ml water bottle which is has 500ml for fluids with a 400ml screw off tool storage cap on the bottom

The Ortre one looks like it would work but it’s £70 plus shipping plus import duty!
    Also dosent come in black (I’m a fussy bastard!)

whitestone
    Free Member

Just get a small saddle tool bag, job sorted.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I use the one of the Syncros cages, it’s really good actually. Lack of 6mm allen key is mildly annoying but then the only place I have a 6mm is on a pivot.

I’m fortunate as my ass suits Specialized saddles, so I use the mountain bandit thing that bolts into the saddle shell. That takes a tube, lever, gas can & head. Its rock solid, been on the bike for months and nothing comes loose 🙂

Basically, that gives me everything I need for most riding.

chiefgrooveguru

“Just get a small saddle tool bag, job sorted.”

I have one of these, I think it’s from Topeak. Tiny but enough for a few tools. It’s been on two different bikes with 185mm dropper posts, no problems!

I also have a small-ish front triangle frame bag from Cotic for carrying bigger things.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers guys

Not interested in saddle bags as they will foul the rear wheel on drops/jumps, also will rub on the dropper post over time unless its one that clips onto the saddle only

Have ordered a Specialized Bandit (I have a Specialized Henge saddle so will bolt straight on)
    Not the solution i was looking for but will try it and see if it will clear the rear wheel when the rear shock is fully compressed and the most important test, if i like the look of it once its on the bike, from what Ive seen online they are very low stack and kinda blend into the saddle so it may be the solution for me

whitestone
    Free Member

What gap do you have between tyre and saddle rail when you’ve deflated the shock and the dropper is in its lowest position? My saddle bag is 60mm deep. All depends on the size of your bike, length of dropper, etc.

The Bandit looks an interesting solution.

crazy-legs

Many, many years ago, I bought exactly the thing you describe thinking that it looked amazing.

It was awful, the tools were of very poor quality, it made the water bottle heavy and unbalanced when trying to drink from it and then the threads holding the lower tool part to the upper bottle part stripped in no time.

Got a refund on it.

Whether things have improved now I don’t know but the fact I’ve not seen them around at all in the years since then suggests the idea never really took off.

martinhutch

I have a small Topeak top tube bag which can be mounted facing the seatpost. Holds tools/phone etc. Normally I would just strap the tube inside the top-tube/down-tube join.

nealeb4zod
    Free Member

Wolftooth do their B-RAD stuff, so you strap it to that and it shifts your bottle up a bit.

mattvanders
    Free Member

Have a look at at weecog custom frame bags, I have got one and a great way of carrying everything you would want if you can design it large enough. Cost is around £50

slowoldman

Sounds like your describing Ortre

How much????

ajantom

Sounds like you need a bum bag (or Enduro Pack if you want to sound on trend!)
    Something like the Evoc Hip Pack Race would be ideal, but plenty of others are available.
    Honestly they’re so light and unobtrusive you barely know they’re there.
    I’ve ridden with first an Osprey and now an Evoc for 5 years….XC rides, trail, BPW/uplift days, etc. no problems, and you don’t get the sweaty back.

lunge

Saddle bag or perhaps one of those attachments that triathlon riders use to attach a cage behind their saddle.

chiefgrooveguru

“Not interested in saddle bags as they will foul the rear wheel on drops/jumps, also will rub on the dropper post over time unless its one that clips onto the saddle only”

My saddle bag only attaches to the saddle and doesn’t foul the rear wheel on drops or jumps, despite the enormously long dropper post. It’s on my hardtail now but I’ve had it on a full-sus with a 170mm dropper too.

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys

As already said i don’t want to strap anything to the frame or carry anything on my person so frame bags and hip packs/bum bags/fanny packs (if your American) are out of the question

The Specialized swat bandit has been ordered so will see how that works with the shock fully compressed and go from there

Cheers

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Normal large water bottle, put tools in a ziploc and immerse.

malv173
    Free Member

Weecog slider saddle bag for dropper posts. Or the Weecog frame bag that @mattvanders mentioned above.

escrs
    Free Member

So the Specialized Mtn Bandit tool holder arrived today

Straight away i noticed a few issues to over come

1. the supplied 1 Specialized tyre lever will never get my tyre off or back on by the side of the trail

2. It must of been designed and tested in California as the C02 cartridge is left open to the elements so it will rust pretty quickly in the UK

So fitting was straight forward, i decided to wrap the C02 cartridge in some black cling film stolen from work to keep any water out

I managed to fit all the kit that its designed for i.e one tube (27.5 for me) one C02 cartridge, C02 cartridge head and tyre lever (more on that to come)

I also managed to fit the following, 1 chain quick link and some inner tube patches

Once fitted i then emptied the rear shock of air to make sure it wouldn’t foul the tyre on full compression with the dropper post fully down, it is close but it dosent hit, if i pushed the post another inch into the frame it would catch

Now for the tyre levers, i use Pedro’s as i find they are the best for removing my tyres, one Pedro wouldn’t fit in the Mtn Bandit so i strapped up the Mtn Bandit with everything attached then added another velcro strap to hold the Pedro levers, they are nice and secure, everything still clears the rear tyre on full compression with the dropper fully down

Pics

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2htLPLG]72139180_2214029905368309_8703236108441354240_n[/url] by escrs1, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2htHbs5]72243083_900977933621992_7633228221634314240_n[/url] by escrs1, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2htLPFB]72196406_394128844590828_5290045131821416448_n[/url] by escrs1, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2htHbt7]73085285_1099344380260594_7253651798131474432_n[/url] by escrs1, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2htLPMo]72181134_2358846201095660_9255607278239744_n[/url] by escrs1, on Flickr

moshimonster
    Free Member

and the most important test, if i like the look of it once its on the bike

It wouldn’t pass this test for me. Also looks like it’s going to get completely shitted up on a winter ride. I don’t actually bother to carry a tube or tyre levers. I just rely on my Dynaplug kit, which goes easily in a pocket.

ajantom

Yeah for winter you really need an enclosed bag or it’s gonna get really manky.

cheers_drive
    escrs
    Free Member

The tyre levers, CO2 canister etc.. are now fully waterproofed in black cling film so more stealth looking, its only the tube which will take the brunt of the mud which is fine, bike gets washed after every ride

Looked into the dynaplug kit but unfortunately it wont help with sidewall slashes (where i ride there is lots of flints etc..) i carry a piece of thin bendable plastic in my wallet with gorilla tape wrapped around it, in the event of a sidewall slash i can tape the plastic to the inside of the tyre, pop a tube in and that will get me back to the car (done that 3 times before!)

Would love to run the tools below the bottle cage like above but there is no room on my frame below the bottle cage and the cage cant be moved up with an adapter plate as it will foul the shock

This is the best solution for my frame and me

pembo6
    Free Member

Try using a 26” tube (they will easily fit in both 27.5” and even 29” tyres). This might give you enough room to for your tyre levers inside the pouch??? I always buy 26” tubes for this exact reason.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘water bottle with built in tool storgae?’ is closed to new replies.