Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Water bottle that doesn't leak… recommendations?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Can’t be bothered filling a camelback for shorter rides so just chuck a water bottle in the pack. However the ones I’ve got all tend to leak and soak whatever else is in the pack. Any good ones out there that don’t leak? Also needs to have a wide opening to get a scoop of powder in and be easy to clean.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Look no further than the Camelbak podium range – you wouldn’t think there was much you could do to a water bottle to improve it, but they have!

As for your specific criteria – yes they have a good wide neck to get a scoop of powder in, and the valve can be closed off to prevent leaks under transit, and dismantled to clean.

br
    Free Member

put the bottle in a cage?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. I actually have one of these in the bottom of my kit box, I got the chill one but never used it! Shall give it a go.

Frame doesn’t have any cage bosses.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A quick not very scientific test of a full podium chill bottle resting on its side for 15 mins and being occasionally squeezed has resulted in zero drippage. Thanks good enough of me. Thanks perthmtb for ridding my pack of a soggy bottom!

perthmtb
    Free Member

No probs, haven’t used the chill version meself, only the standard ones. Be interested to hear back sometime later if the insulation properties really do work – I often ride in 30 deg. + temperatures, and a nice cold drink halfway thru a ride would be most welcome…

mrblobby
    Free Member

That was my thinking when I got it, but I can’t remember the last time I rode in temperatures anywhere near warm enough to need it!

zilog6128

Camelbak Podium +1

STATO
    Free Member

I have podium and podium chill, neither hold water at cool temps on hot days. What i found did keep water cool was a 1.5L plastic pop bottle (touring in summer, all 3 bottles on the bike, Podiums were much hotter, i think the plastic is thicker so absorbs the heat?). But i do reccomend the Podium as its much easier to drink from when riding than a screw-lid bottle, and as you say, no leaks.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I have used Elite Jossanova bottles for a few years, no problems with leaking either in the cage or in a pack
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-jossanova-membrane-550ml-water-bottle/

aracer
    Free Member

Either PSP or High-5 ones work fine for me. The High-5 ones have a slightly wider neck, but no problem putting scoops in the PSP ones. I’d imagine either are significantly cheaper than anything branded Camelbak.

Though to the OP: if you’re going for a short enough ride that you can’t be bothered with a bladder, just leave the drink at home. Despite marketing hype, you won’t die if you ride for an hour without a drink.

willyboy
    Free Member

another vote for Hi5 bottles. Cheap, work well and last a long time.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have the PSP ones (do you mean the SiS one?) but they tend to leak badly, especially the ones with the wide openings. Not a problem in a bottle cage, but a soggy mess in the pack.

It’s a little can’t be bothered, but I also prefer drinking out of bottles than a bladder. If I was just out for an hour I really wouldn’t bother.

br
    Free Member

Frame doesn’t have any cage bosses.

Tie wrap one to the frame – had to do it for my son’s bike many moons ago, still on there now.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Camelbak podiums again. Got some a few years old and no leaks

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tie wrap one to the frame – had to do it for my son’s bike many moons ago, still on there now.

That would spoil the aesthetics of my bike 8)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Water bottle that doesn't leak… recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.