Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Water bears on the moon
  • slowoldman

Tardigrades: ‘Water bears’ stuck on the moon after crash

Now I’m dubious about this two counts.
    1. I’m not sure it’s a good thing to be sticking biological material from Earth onto the moon or other planets (yes I know there is Astronaut shit up there).
    2. The company that sent them “keeps a “backup” of planet Earth – with human knowledge and the planet’s biology stored and sent out to various solar locations in case of a life-ending event”. What good is that knowledge and biology after a life-ending event on Earth? Who’s going to pop out and retrieve it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sound the Octo Alert!

Mat

CFH, I really wish I could get my Alexa to respond with the appropriate octonaut alarm when I say that…

akira

WTF are vegemals supposed to be?

bsims
    Free Member

Have they stored the recipe for Pom Bears?

somafunk

So that’s where the Tardigrade as seen in Star Trek Discovery came from?, quick….fire up the mycelium spore drive and lets get out of here (with reference to Paul Stamets uber mycologist genius)

Paul Stamets Mycologist wiki page

nealeb4zod
    Free Member

At least they’ll be easier to bunny hop.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Black Alert!

You do realise there is the last bastion of the Third Reich on the Dark Side of the Moom?

Joseph Cavor got there first!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

They bbc really needs to include a scale bar with their report of this story, when I saw the headline I was imagining some sort of pygmy polar bear.

dissonance

Just wait till they mutate and come back!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I can’t take seriously any story in which the writer clearly takes more pleasure in “water bears” and “moss piglets” (often called by whom? Primary school teachers trying to engender interest from a reception class?) than the actual story at hand.

Jazz hand journalism.

medlow
    Free Member

Dunno.
    The way I see it is Vegemals are born into slavery in the octopod to cook the Octonauts an endless supply of fish biscuits, to feed their habit.

CountZero

1. I’m not sure it’s a good thing to be sticking biological material from Earth onto the moon or other planets (yes I know there is Astronaut shit up there).

Why should there be an issue with the tardigrades presence on the moon? As you point out, there’s a 100 kg or so of astronaut shit already there, albeit in plastic bags, a bunch of microscopic bugs are hardly going to contaminate a sterile environment that’s permanently exposed to unlimited solar radiation, vacuum and huge extremes of temperature.
    As regards other solar bodies, any exploration carried out is done with vehicles that are as close to sterile as possible, as on Mars, or are allowed to end their exploratory lifespan by crashing into an environment that most certainly will never suffer any harm, in the case of Jupiter and Saturn, to avoid any possibility of any satellites that have conditions that may allow life to evolve become contaminated.
    Also, there are scientists who consider the possibility of life on Earth having been started by bacteria brought from outside Earth’s atmosphere…

bluebird
    Free Member

bunch of microscopic bugs are hardly going to contaminate a sterile environment that’s permanently exposed to unlimited solar radiation, vacuum and huge extremes of temperature.

Yeah but Tardigardes are harder than Chuck Norris, we need to be afraid

slowoldman

Eggzackly.

alishand

CFH, I really wish I could get my Alexa to respond with the appropriate octonaut alarm when I say that…

Oh but you can!….well…for google home anyway

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Jazz hand journalism.

Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned, but I understood that was a different sort of publication.

brakes
    Free Member

I’m not sure it’s a good thing to be sticking biological material from Earth onto the moon or other planets

It’s just the first step to inhabiting the moon. Hopefully they will evolve into Doozers (like in Fraggle Rock) and begin to construct cities and infrastructure for us.

mariner
    Free Member

So the chances that anything could go wrong are about ‘a million to one’ they said.

wwaswas

Their strategy of waiting out evolution and hitching a ride with the first sentient species to invent space travel pays off.

Again.

scuttler

Their strategy of waiting out evolution and hitching a ride with the first sentient species to invent space travel pays off.

Like.

Again.

Like²

funkmasterp

Have they stored the recipe for Pom Bears?

I too need to know the answer to this question.

Professor Inkling is basically the oceanic Dr Moreau only with a vegetable fetish.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Water bears on the moon’ is closed to new replies.