Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Watching planes landing at Heathrow
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Fancy landing a Dreamliner at Heathrow in this wind? See how the professionals attempt it. Riveting viewing.

lowey

Done to death on the Eunice thread.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Ah sorry. I shall birch myself.

dannybgoode

Meh. Now, Kaitek in a crosswind when you had to put the wheels on the ground with the plane pointing 45 degrees to the runway having completed a sharp turn a couple of hundred feet up so you can’t actually see the runway until the last minute…

swavis
    Houns

*bites nails*

swavis

I’d be gripping the seatback for sure 😂

tonyg2003

My friend just landed on BA288 @LHR and said it wasn’t too bad. Must have got lucky

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You need a B52 when it’s breezy.

boblo
    Free Member

Kaitek

Or Kai Tak even… 🙂

matt_outandabout

I’d be gripping sh*tt*ng the seatback for sure

FTFY

dyna-ti

I’d be gripping the seatback for sure

Clenched would be a more appropriate term. Hands and buttocks 😆

That was a pretty spectacular piece of footage. the aircraft literally hanging in the air, the engines going up to full power as it struggled against the wind. Thats the pilot you want flying your holiday to Majorca thats for sure.

swavis

We actually flew out of Majorca in Oct ’19 into a thunderstorm after sitting for 3 hours on the tarmac, there was plenty of screams and yes, I was fully clenched 😬

intheborders
    Free Member

I do remember once looking out of the window, straight down the runway we were landing on.

I did tighten my seatbelt.

timbog160

Quick question – I had always assumed that modern airliners combined with ILS etc pretty much land themselves. I assume in these sorts of conditions it’s a much more ‘hands on’ approach from the pilots?

crazy-legs

I assume in these sorts of conditions it’s a much more ‘hands on’ approach from the pilots?

There’s a few commercial pilots on the forum, hopefully some of them will be along shortly.

Find some of the in-cockpit footage of rough landings and watch the auto-throttles plus the work that the pilots are doing telling the system all the info it needs and monitoring it. It’s genuinely fascinating stuff.

It comes up sometimes on programmes like Air Crash Investigations, especially if they’re looking at historic crashes from the 70s/80s when aircraft didn’t have all this, they’ll describe comparisons between older and modern aircraft and how a modern system would have avoided the crash.

matt_outandabout

We had a double go-around coming into Edinburgh as Storm Andrea built up.

The pilot placed the plane down ‘keenly’, I am sure we left a dent from the wheels on touchdown….

thols2

simon_g

For a MTB link: hadn’t realised it’s the same Jerry Dyer that used to run Dirt magazine.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jerry-dyer-915238145

alpin
    Free Member

Big Jet TV….

Smirks. 😁

Kryton57

Re that 45 degree landing – I was in a small twin prop to Shetland that landed like that. The acute angle of the entry into Lerwick in the buffeting wind meant all I could see from the R/H side was Sea whilst wondering how the aero of a plane at that angle works in gale. All the while, the pilot was calmly explaining the manoeuvre about to happen.

I went straight to the bar once I got to the Hotel.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It was up to just under 200k people watching earlier today.

scotroutes

I saw 208k at one point

scuttler

Re DIRT magazine, coupled with accent, possibly why I think I’m listening to Rob Warner commentating on planes.

scuttler

In support of OP this deserves its own thread given today’s coverage specifically of Big Jet TV in the mainstream and social media.

crazy-legs

The wind has obviously died down a bit or gone to a full headwind because the landings now are much more mundane.

Also, this is worth a read:

Why we all fell in love with Big Jet TV

scuttler

Gonna wind up with a very rare 747. Beautiful

Mister-P
    Free Member

I saw 208k at one point

All hoping for it to go horrifically wrong.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Now I’m one of 108k people watching a man getting interviewed on ITV in the distance 😂

alpin
    Free Member

208k at one point

The power of STW.

Poopscoop

You really need to have the right stuff to be a pilot don’t you?

The pressure must make a neurosurgeons life seem like easy street in comparison.

bentandbroken

All hoping for it to go horrifically wrong.

I think that says something about you. I watched a few times today and I never wanted that.

It is the same with Rally videos, I love Rallying, but hate watching ‘crashes’ and will often turn off/over if I see the start of a bad one.

Since my MTB ‘off’, I am almost physically sick when I see the start of a MTB crash and censor myself by trying not to click on links that suggest they involve a crash and close my eyes and stab for the pause button when I get it wrong.

TiRed

You really need to have the right stuff to be a pilot don’t you?

Perhaps. Son2 is training in Spain at Jerez at the moment. It’s not been a great week, although reasons for this incident are as yet unclear

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/brit-student-26-dies-after-26255055

I’ve parked in the Hatton Cross car park to watch the landings. The Big Jets post is on a patch of grass just outside the airport perimeter road on the A30. Been past many times cycling to work.

aP
    Free Member

I landed as a passenger (OBVs cos I’m not peak stw) in a 777 coming in from Changi today, it was wobbly but fine. Touchdown was good, solid but not disturbing.
    Sitting on the apron waiting for Gate was more interesting.
    LHR couldn’t get people out to offload luggage which meant a 2 hour wait for that.

boardmanfs18

TiRed, that’s not good news from Jerez.

On a day like today, there will always be an airport with less windy conditions, so you carry enough fuel to enable you to make two attempts at your original destination and then bugger off to your calmer diversion airport.

As for the right stuff…I can’t manual yet.

scuttler

There was a flight from Larnaca that after two fails went all the way to Newcastle.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Quick question – I had always assumed that modern airliners combined with ILS etc pretty much land themselves.

Autoland has its limitations and it’s not particularly that often you use them.
    It’s used in poor visibility and low cloudbase, not on days like today. On my aircraft (A330), the wind limitations for an autoland would have been exceeded today, and the airport has to put certain measures in place to avoid interference of the ILS; an aircraft taxying in the wrong spot could see you depart the runway pretty quickly, if those measures aren’t in place.

There was a flight from Larnaca that after two fails went all the way to Newcastle.

The only failure would be to press on with an unstable or unsafe approach. Throwing a bad approach away is a good thing. So that flight had more success than any failure.

Houns
    scratch
    Free Member

I did wonder if it was the same Jerry Dyer, fair play to the guy for continuing to find jobs that are obviously a passion and a lot of fun!

Worst I had was coming into Cardiff one time where you could see sky-land-sky-land-sky at quite severe angles outside the window as the aircraft came in to land – that was enough!

Is it just Cardiff where people clap the pilot when landing? Had that more than once

The other random one was flying back from Shanghai were the headwind was so strong we had to fly into Finland to refuel, a bunch of passengers were dieing to open the doors for a ciggie! 🙂

TiRed

If you missed it, Jerry was interviewed on Today on R4 this morning. Was very insightful. Think it was about 8:45AM

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Watching planes landing at Heathrow’ is closed to new replies.