Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Watching Blade Runner 2049 tonight and if it betrays the original I’m going to..
  • BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I tried watching it a while ago when it came out on DVD; watched about half of it, did something else and I’ve never bothered going back to it. But I might soon.
    I love the original(s), which I think is beautiful, like a series of paintings. The music, the set design, Syd Mead, Sean Young etc. just make a perfect mood piece. I put it up there with 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    I’m really excited to see how Villeneuve’s Dune pans out, as that’s been begging to be made properly.

RustySpanner

Great film.

Loved the original and the final cut, was pleasantly happy with this.
    I can’t really see how it could have been much better.

Surprisingly worthy sequel imo.

Yak

I loved it. Definitely worth seeing in a cinema though. I would put it up there with the original. No let down at all for me. I suspect it will get better with age and multiple viewings too, like the original.

zinaru
    Free Member

impossibly fussy original bladerunner nerd here and i expected to hate it. however, i was pretty moved by the sequel. fleshed out the original world, had that same blend of odd and familiar future. the sound in the cinema was absolutely incredible though, less of a soundtrack, more of an amplified smbience.

goslings awkwardness was prefect.

my only disappointment was not seeing off world but i guess that’s maybe one for another time. considering various revisits and reboots are little more than nonsense, this is a great film and for me, a very solid sequel.

Drac

less of a soundtrack, more of an amplified smbience.

It blends so well it does literally become ambience.

I’ve put it on again this am and loud as it really needs to be.

edhornby

Is the original on Netflix or amazon ?

Drac

Amazon for rental car.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I loved it, and still do. Sitting 2 feet from me right now on my office wall is a “2049 poster. Peerless in every way.

And I suppose you all know that it wasn’t a horse?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Peerless in every way.

That’s quite a statement….

ready

What zinaru said above pretty much sums it up for me too. Saw it on Imax and was blown away by the audio visual treat.

Think the original is on Sky at the moment

edhornby

cheers drac

grantyboy
    Free Member

also streaming on Netfilx at the moment

Drac

Not the original.

grantyboy
    Free Member

no sorry i thought we meant 2049

CountZero

I’ve never seen Blade Runner or the new one but I doubt either are as good as Back to the Future , so why bother.

Where to start with this statement? BttF is an amusing bit of SF fluff, fun if you like that sort of thing. Bladerunner is a masterpiece of cinematography with a storyline that keeps you guessing way past the actual end.
    Why bother? Because you can’t form an opinion unless you’ve actually seen both films and have a basis on which to form that opinion.

athgray
    Free Member

I enjoyed it on the whole. Would have liked more of Jared Letto and Robin Wright, as well as less Harrison Ford.

rone

Plus I think Villeneuve stinks as a director

Ouch.

He’s an amazing Director.

Good Christ – have you seen Incendies? And Sicario?

Spin
    Free Member

The sequel is a decent film. They got most of the stuff right that they needed to get right and I saw no obvious howlers*. What’s missing is that thing which every director would like to be able to bottle but can’t, that thing which lifts a film from the good to the great: a little bit of magic.

I expect that following a film which had that made hitting it a second time less likely.

* Edit, well maybe Gosling…

muddy@rseguy

Really thought it was a terrible idea to do a sequel to Blade Runner and didn’t know much about Dennis Villeneuve but saw Sicario and Arrival (which is awesome btw) and started to change my mind.

BR 2049 is really good, pays homage to the original (Director’s Cut) but also is its own film (without adding spoilers, Villeneuve and Ridley Scott have differing ideas about Deckard) and asks more questions about replicants and their place in the society (principally about the idea of slavery) and takes the technology ideas off in some clever directions while still being true to the original film’s vision of the future.

Also if you like Syd Mead designs then Las Vegas will have you cheering…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Hadn’t twigged this was the same director as Sicario and Arrival. Thought both were very good.

DezB
    Free Member

Where to start with this statement?

Smile? Chuckle? Laugh? ROFL?

woody2000

On the back of this thread I put BR 2049 on my Netflix watchlist.  Last night I managed to watch it and thought it was outstanding.  Obviously a big TV can’t match a cinema screen, but I was still blown away by just how amazing it is as a visual piece, absolutely stunning.  Used headphones which gave a great audio experience too (and meant I could hear the dialogue, being a bit deaf sucks!).  I reckon it stands alone as a great film, not just a great sequel – not normallly a fan of Ryan Gosling (it’s his sad face) but I thought he was really good.  It has made me realise that I watch only superficially as I clearly missed a lot from the original, I’m going to have to watch that again and follow it with a repeat of 2049 🙂

richmtb

not normallly a fan of Ryan Gosling (it’s his sad face) but I thought he was really good.

He’s got the perfect emotional range to play an android!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Obviously a big TV can’t match a cinema screen

depends how big your TV is 🙂

With 4k, and parrticularly 4k bluray, it is feasible to have a TV that fills as much of your field of vision as a cinema screen.

Next problem is having a sound system as good/powerful…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’m going to have to watch that again and follow it with a repeat of 2049

Yep watched the original last week, will finish the book this week and then watch 2049 again.

Brilliant brilliant film … think it might be better than the original !! But waiting to watch it again to confirm that.

(Like you I wished I’d seen it in the cinema … for some reason it just didn’t register with me when it came out … odd.)

hols2
    Free Member

He’s got the perfect emotional range to play an android!

Yes, it’s kinda like Arnie playing a remorseless killer robot or Keanu playing a confused stoner dude, they were just born for that role.

argee

Loved it, was full on in the cinema with the sound of the movie, bit easier on the ears in the house!

Overall it keeps to the original, adds an actual half decent story and manages to give a nice conclusion, even room for a further sequel if they wanted.

CountZero

Smile? Chuckle? Laugh? ROFL?

Well, yeah, that too! 😁

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Watching Blade Runner 2049 tonight and if it betrays the original I’m going to..’ is closed to new replies.