Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Watching Blade Runner 2049 tonight and if it betrays the original I’m going to..
  • Poopscoop

completely lose my s***!

Put off watching it as I have a real thing for the original.

It kind of for me through tough times over the years. Daft I know but it did.

The reviews are good but I’m still worried.

I’ll be back later.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was underwhelmed by it.

I don’t think it,in any way, betrays the original or anything, it was just a bit bland for me.

I don’t like Ryan Gosling though. He lacks the emotional depth to portray a soulless robot.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I don’t like Ryan Gosling though. He lacks the emotional depth to portray a soulless robot.

hah

arogers
    Free Member

I thought it was exceptional. One of very few films I immediately wanted to watch again. Also a huge fan of the original.

hols2
    Free Member

I thought it was decent. It was never going to be better than the original, so it was about as good as you could hope for.

rone

Not a fan. But a fan of Denis Villeneuve.

You missed a trick by at least not seeing at the cinema though.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

My missus loved it.

I thought it was dull.

But I didn’t remember the detail of the original, even though I loved it at the time.

My missus has a stellar memory.

I get in trouble a lot!

Poopscoop

Ok.

It could never be what I wanted perhaps as that film has already been made.

The part that hit me, the only part perhaps, was near the end. He’s lying in the snow and some of the original music played. That brought a tear the the eye.

As a stand alone movie, it was good.

It wasn’t Blade Runner though. The whole feel of the film, it tried too hard but never captured it’s soul. A true replicant perhaps.

That said, I’m as much reviewing myself and my connection to Blade Runner as much as this sequel.

What’s interesting is that when Blade Runner first came out in ’82 it just wasn’t really liked. I remember someone saying some years later when it had been on tv “is that the one where it just rains all the time?”

2049 seems to have been much better received. I wonder if that will change over time but in the reverse of the originals fortunes?

BigDummy
    Free Member

It could easily have truly sucked, and it really doesn’t. I think it says a lot that it:

– works as a stand-alone;
    – doesn’t make anyone think less of the original;
    – isn’t just a re-tread of the original.

BigDummy
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4etinsAy34

This is good (spoilers). There’s a lot in 2049, and it looks brilliant. For what it’s worth, it’s grown on me the more I’ve thought about it and re-visited it. 🙂

dovebiker

I watched it at an iMax in 3D – mind-bendingly awesome visually. Not sure you’d get the same effect watching at home, certainly want the surround-sound turned up too.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is good (spoilers). There’s a lot in 2049, and it looks brilliant. For what it’s worth, it’s grown on me the more I’ve thought about it and re-visited it. 🙂

This was interesting, I’ll give it a rewatch!

Drac

Absolutely love it.

Pigface
    Free Member

I thought it was brilliant, watched it again recently and it just gets better. So many nuances.

RustyNissanPrairie

tried watching it recently as a fan of the original gave up due to Ryan Gosling.

Ive added Ryan to my list mainly just containing Adam Sandler of being quite happy to pay to not watch a film they are in.

JAG

I love the original but this is what I thought after watching the “2049” film….

I thought it was decent. It was never going to be better than the original, so it was about as good as you could hope for

devash
    Free Member

Like the original, you have to watch it a few times to get everything. Great film, quite long and the pace is meditative rather than action packed which I think put off a lot of modern audiences.

Watching it in an almost empty Imax cinema in Bradford was an incredible experience and you do loose some of the impact watching it at home.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve never seen Blade Runner or the new one but I doubt either are as good as Back to the Future , so why bother.

seadog101

I enjoyed it.

Like many have said, and will say over and over again, not as good as the original (but then the original is as damn near perfect a Sci-Fi movie as you will find), yet still a great addition to the the story.

pondo

I’ve never seen Blade Runner or the new one but I doubt either are as good as Back to the Future , so why bother.

Job jobbed. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Didn’t like the original, this film was mildly less boring. But it’s a one watch film, where as the original I’ve watched twice.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The original is my favourite film. 2049 is dull, far too long and the story is full of holes. I also have the same problem with Ryan Gosling that the posters above have. Plus I think Villeneuve stinks as a director. I should have been prepared for disappointment after sitting through the snoozefest that is Arrival. Re-watched the original after watching 2049 which only emphasized the greatness of the first film.

andypaul
    Free Member

Fantastic film and beautifully shot. For me in many ways better than the original but does rely on that film to hold the storyline up somewhat

Kato

I loved it. But then I loved Arrival too..

P-Jay
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it.

I get the whole ‘dull’ thing, it seems like a short story spread out over 3 hours to give enough time for all the amazing visuals to linger.

Also, PSA: it’s currently on Netflix and in 4K too if you have the right sub / TV which is very rare for a studio film on Netflix.

pondo

Would I need to watch the original first?

andypaul
    Free Member

Ideally yes, but not essential. The key questions for me are

What does it mean to be human?
    How do l know l am human?

no spoilers but in a nutshell thats what the film is getting at..

hols2
    Free Member

It would make a lot more sense if you did. Also, the original is a classic so you should watch it anyway.

nickc

I enjoyed it, and I think it compares well with it’s predecessor. It’s beautifully shot and edited, that characterisations are well thought through, the film’s philosophy is an interesting exploration of self, meaning, and worth. The protagonists are rounded and multi-dimensional, and the whole things clearly comes from a love of the original.

It’s one of the few (along with the original and Alien) SciFi films that bear more than one viewing to get the best from them

nickc

the story is full of holes

such as..?

belfastflyer
    Free Member

It’s probably the most beautiful looking film I’ve ever seen. But thats it. Bored the t$ts off me story wise.

mashr

Agree with this ^, certainly a good 45mins too long

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs M and I enjoyed it, its not a happy film, Mrs M has never seen the original and very rarely likes films that don’t have a happy ending but she liked this one.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d like to know what people thought of my favourite scene:

The lingering shot of the back of Ryan’s head. ?

Strangely, it’s pretty much all I remember about the film now, so I shall have to watch again with the ffwd button at the ready.

Drac

Cells within cells.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It was not bad but I thought the storyline was way too simple and telegraphed, it felt like in every scene the plot fell into place way too neatly.

timbog160

I didn’t like it and thought it ruined the original, mainly because the whole point for me of the original ending was to leave an element of uncertainty – “didn’t know how long we’d have but then again who does?”

Well now we know exactly how long we have!

DezB
    Free Member

Cells within cells.

I don’t think it was that. Was later in the film. I remember orange framing him. That cells within cells scene was much more brief (I youtoobed it .https://youtu.be/ZRcpnM26nJM. )

fasthaggis

This kinda ties in to the “Do you go to the cinema” thread.
    For me it was the same as Dovebiker..

I watched it at an iMax in 3D – mind-bendingly awesome visually. Not sure you’d get the same effect watching at home, certainly want the surround-sound turned up too.

Then again,some people just don’t care about screen size and it’s good that we all have different imaginations

arrpee
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it.

I think it’s one of those rare sequels that actually elevates the original (of which I’m also a fan).

I thought it had a real emotional punch, with the recurring themes of parental grief and parental guilt, both at the micro-level with Deckard, and the macro-level with humanity’s treatment of both its home world and its offspring (human and replicant).

Didn’t mind Gosling at all – thought he conveyed the loneliness and dislocation really well.

Additionally, it looks and sounds amazing, that is to say, terrifying. Just a horribly plausible vision of how the planet might look in a few years (hell, some of it’s already there).

In fairness to the more critical comments above, I think that my enjoyment of it had a lot to do with the fact that I was in a very downbeat mood when I saw the film, so all of its darker themes really resonated. For that reason, I’m slightly scared to watch it again in case it fails to live up to my recollection.

I’d also echo some of the above sentiments regarding just how bad it could have been. Prometheus, Covenant, I’m looking at you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Watching Blade Runner 2049 tonight and if it betrays the original I’m going to..’ is closed to new replies.