Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Watching Amazon prime offline
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a month of prime as I needed an item delivered quickly. I’m off on a work trip so thought it might be good to stick a couple of things on the laptop. Is this possible? Google gives me mixed opinions and a load of dodgy looking third party apps. I’ve downloaded the official amazon windows app and one of the tabs is “my downloads” but I can’t see any option to download anything

irc

In the app click on your film. There is a download option. After download you will see it in my stuff.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I keep meaning to try downloading something off Prime Video, to see how practical it might be for holidays where there’s no decent low cost wifi.

nickjb
    Free Member

In the app click on your film. There is a download option

There isn’t one I can see. It’s there on the Android app, but not the windows app.

irc

Seems to be for me. In my Amazon account on my laptop.

zilog6128

AIUI Amazon only let you download Videos via their mobile app – not through the browser, and not onto a laptop/PC at all! So what that browser-based download link above is all about, I don’t know! I don’t get one, on my iPad or Mac. I can download onto my iPad via the app though! Maybe @irc has the super-secret Prime++ option?! 😀

Superficial
    Free Member

AIUI Amazon only let you download Videos via their mobile app

That was my understanding too. Moreover, I think there are certain films/program you’re not allowed to download (though I may be getting confused with Netflix or something else). I certainly don’t have a download link in either Safari (Mac) or Brave for Fleabag season 1 but it’s plausible that Amazon has different settings in some browsers.

irc’s quirk notwithstanding, it’s an unusual situation where tablets can do something that a laptop cannot.

zilog6128

it’s an unusual situation where tablets can do something that a laptop cannot.

yeah, I bet though it’s because it’s much easier to apply DRM to a video downloaded into their mobile app, than a standalone PC/Mac download!

euain

I think there is are Windows and MacOS apps – so you can download to a laptop using them.

From the prime help page: To download Prime Video titles for offline viewing, you need a Fire tablet, or the Prime Video app for iOS, Android, macOS, or Windows 10.

sockpuppet

Not all titles are available to download either, depends on what rights they gave paid for

Cougar

I bet though it’s because it’s much easier to apply DRM to a video downloaded into their mobile app

I have no idea if this is applicable to Amazon or not, but I’ve encountered DRM issues with other platforms (IIRC iPlayer used to do this) where it only does the DRM validation on first playback. So you could potentially download the video for offline viewing and then once offline find you’re unable to play it. The trick is to play the first few seconds whilst you’re still connected so it can cache the certificates or whatever it needs.

Might be irrelevant here but, just in case.

irc

I stand corrected.

I actually tried to download a film onto my laptop and the download button prompted the installation of the windows app for Prime. So as above – you need an app to download.

northernsoul

Not all titles are available to download either, depends on what rights they gave paid for

There are also regional restrictions – so you can download something on the app in the UK and watch it on e.g. an international flight, but you probably won’t be able to download much extra (apart from Amazon originals) for the return flight.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Just remember that Bezos flew in to space on top of his own balls thanks to you. Pay the money. Send Jeff to space again! He’s a big cheese!

footflaps

I still torrent stuff even though I’ve got it on Prime / Netflix etc as it’s often far simpler and you have a cleaner experience. Which I think it very ironic…

chakaping
    Free Member

it’s because it’s much easier to apply DRM to a video downloaded into their mobile app, than a standalone PC/Mac download!

This is absolutely the reason.

Use a tablet instead OP?

Cougar

I still torrent stuff even though I’ve got it on Prime / Netflix etc as it’s often far simpler and you have a cleaner experience. Which I think it very ironic…

This.

I have no moral objections to torrenting something I’ve already paid for. It used to gall me that I could buy a DVD and sit through minutes of mandatory unskippable Simon Bates going “you wouldn’t steal a car”(*) or I could torrent the same thing and have a better viewing experience.

(* – bit presumptuous of you there, Simon)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.