• This topic has 3,690 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by dmorts.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,521 through 3,560 (of 3,688 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Premier Icon dakuan
    Free Member

Having previously been of the opinion that dive watches should never go on a leather strap, i’ve gotten over if and popped the 58 on a dark brown one. Glad I did as i think it warms the whole watch up nicely

Premier Icon Murray

Very nice Dakuan

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

i agree,suits it well

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

I don’t mind a leather strap on a diver but there seems to be a disconcertingly big gap between strap and watch with that combo above.

Premier Icon dakuan
    Free Member

haha yeah, one of those things that looks less drastic IRL vs the zoomed photo

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

looks less drastic IRL

Glad to hear it! Tonally it’s rather a nice combo.

Premier Icon edd

@dakuan – where did you get the strap from?

@ivandobski
    – brilliant rant, love it! (I am a Tudor owner.)

Premier Icon tthew

Was just looking at Northwind’s thread about his Grandad’s old Omega, and it struck me I’d not not posted a photo of the Seamaster that Wally sent me on it’s new strap. Poor picture I’m afraid, I wish I could work out how to take a nice one.

Premier Icon Murray

tthew – that’s very nice

Premier Icon dakuan
    Free Member

edd – its one of these: https://bulangandsons.com/collections/watch-straps-accessories/products/siena-brown-leather-watch-strap

made by the same people that Bark and Jack use (JPM)

that seamaster looks lush on its new strap!

Premier Icon edd

Thanks dakuan, they look great

Premier Icon CountZero

Speaking of leather straps, I was perusing an article about the best NATO straps, and this one was featured – quite taken with them, it’s the leather keepers instead of steel that I like, far less bulky, but still with the safety factor of having an unbroken strip of leather under the watch. And not stupidly expensive either – their blue one would look good on the Tudor.

https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/collections/leather-watch-bands/products/saddle-brown-leather-nato-style?variant=158868340762

It’d be cool to see someone like tudor design an actual tool watch, designed to be tough AF and see what they come up with.

What, you mean like Seiko with the MarineMaster 300, with the monobloc case?
    As far as I know, the term ‘tool’ watch is used to describe any tough, everyday watch that isn’t like that Omega, ie a ‘dress’-type watch, which means any diver or field/military watch that will tolerate being abused and isn’t over-complicated, so no extra complications, computers, etc.
    So I’m not entirely sure what the ranting about ‘tool’ watches is all about, tbh – most of my watches would be classed as ‘tool’ watches, the only one that isn’t is my Yema, which is a sports chronograph. The others are divers and a couple of field-style watches, chosen for their clarity and simplicity, and ability to take being knocked around without falling apart.

Premier Icon tthew

@countzero – the strap pictured on the Omega is a Barton band. They’re in the moderately expensive price range, but really nice quality so definitely good value for money. Can take a while to be delivered too as they come from the states.

Premier Icon CountZero

@tthew – tbh, I’d only looked at their NATO straps, I hadn’t realised they did others, although with hindsight it’s pretty obvious they’d have a wide variety of styles. The perforated brown leather on the Seamaster does fit its aesthetic very nicely, although I’m not a fan of the 60’s dress-watch style, I really couldn’t see myself wearing one, but I do have a Yokobies mod Seiko Series 5 field watch style with polished case, the face and hands are very much like my SPORK, or a Sinn, which is the nearest I’d get.
    Haven’t worn that in ages, either; I’m much too attached to my Heimdallr watches and the SPORK, which I’ve been wearing for nearly a month.
    Back with the Heimdallr ’Tuna’ now.
    Come next pay day I can see one of those Barton leather NATO’s winging it way across the Atlantic…
    😁

Premier Icon Wally

Pleased to see my Omega being enjoyed by a fellow STW watch nut.

Premier Icon tthew

Well pleased with it @Wally, I’ve worn it quite a bit. When you first put it on after wearing a modern watch it looks a bit small, but soon get used to the look. I reckon my missis will want to borrow it for occasions where she won’t want to wear her smart watch.

Premier Icon CountZero

Y’know, looking at that strap on the Omega, I can imagine a few people having issues with all those little holes…

Premier Icon scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Always useless at posting pictures on here, so bear with me.

I’ve found myself buying a few n+1s over lockdown. This turned up today…

Panda

Ah, imgur have stopped supplying the direct link. Will update in a bit.

Free Member

Website crashed! OK, take two…

Panda

I miss the ‘preview’ button…

Premier Icon tthew

I miss the ‘preview’ button…

You can change to an advanced editor in your settings/preference somewhere, (don’t ask me to describe it, I just found it by chance!) which has the preview button on it.

Nice chrono too.

Premier Icon Murray

It’s under Account -> Preferences -> Fancy Editor

Premier Icon igm

Account, preferences, fancy editor

nice spot tthew

edit – 11 seconds!!!

Free Member

Ah, thanks – I’ll take a look.

In my pic posting frustration I ommitted the watch detail. 1977 Seiko Panda. Managed to find one in great condition and with original seiko parts. I have the seiko strap as well, but am allergic to metal watch straps so the Nato is on for now (which i think works well – better than the original metal strap to be honest). I also have a nice dark brown leather from finwatchstraps on the way.

Should be a nice investment – have always regretted hovering over the Buy It Now button with one of these around 5 years ago, before the prices started going crazy.

Free Member

Account -> Preferences -> Fancy Editor

Thanks!

Premier Icon Kryton57

(which i think works well – better than the original metal strap to be honest).

By coincidence, I was never mentally comfortable with the strap code bracelet I put on my Sea Urchin, and have just logged on after replacing it with a late Bond Nato

Free Member

I have an aquaracer on a late bond nato. It looks far better than the metal strap it came with originally.

Premier Icon Kryton57

I give up!

Premier Icon Fudd
    Free Member

1977 Seiko Panda. Managed to find one in great condition and with original seiko parts. I have the seiko strap as well, but am allergic to metal watch straps so the Nato is on for now (which i think works well – better than the original metal strap to be honest). I also have a nice dark brown leather from finwatchstraps on the way.

Should be a nice investment – have always regretted hovering over the Buy It Now button with one of these around 5 years ago, before the prices started going crazy.

Looks like a nice honest example so well done on not buying one of the many filled with a/m parts.

I bought one a few years ago when prices were even sillier – I first took notice of them around 2013 and they rocketed up a lot quicker than Pogue’s or 6105’s etc. Seems I bought at the peak as I thought it was a 1.2k watch once it had been serviced etc, but I sold it last year for £850 which seemed to be the going rate. Everything else has kept climbing so I reckon it’s a blip and now’s a good time to buy a Panda.

Premier Icon tthew

What watch strap for nude massage?

(that’s going to look really weird when the mods delete that previous message) 😁

Premier Icon dmorts

Has anyone got a Yema Navygraf Heritage?

Premier Icon CountZero

Has anyone got a Yema Navygraf Heritage?

No, but I was very seriously considering one a while back, when I had some available cash, but some significant outgoings have nipped that in the bud for the time being. Really nice looking watch, and with an in-house movement, and not stupid money either.
    It would go well with my original Yema Rallygraf, I feel. Maybe a birthday present to myself for next year.
    Not as expensive as I thought…
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/yema/navygraf-ynav2019-ams–id18825236.htm
    Speaking of my Rallygraf, mine’s in better condition than this one, cost me £50!
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/yema/yema-rallygraf-super–id19159916.htm

Premier Icon woffle
    Free Member

ohh FFS – at some point I’ll get images working…

Premier Icon Woody
    Free Member

Following on from Seiko ‘black monster’ I fear my one needs the movement replaced. Its 10 years+ old and was running 5 minutes fast in 24 hours and as soon I touched the regulator (only touched the ‘lower’ arm, honest guv) it stopped. Dab of oil and it’s still dead!

Any suggestions or recommendations for replacement welcome. I’m in the NE if that makes any difference.

Ps. I dont have the patience or skill to even think about doing it myself.

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

It should be a straightforward job for any watchmaker if you’ve one near you but I’ve no idea what they’d charge. This bloke on ebay will do the swap for you for what is a fairly big chunk of an SKX779’s likely value – I’ve not used him but he’s been on ebay a fair while and has good feedback.
    It looks like the going rate on ebay for the movement’s around £40-50 so maybe £112.90 all-up’s not such bad value if you really don’t fancy a go yourself.

Premier Icon Woody
    Free Member

Thanks Johnners, I think it might be the same guy who services a non-running movement for £79 but it’s probably worth the upgrade to a better movement.

I use it as a bit of a ‘beater’ and prefer my ‘Pepsi’ anyway which also needs a service! Might just sell it and get a lump like This Divex

Premier Icon CountZero

Here’s another possibility for anyone looking for a new watch without any fussy details – I’m not familiar with the make, Laco, but they’re nice looking fleiger/pilot-style watches. Affordable as well, sort of; £450-ish, I think.
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/laco-unveils-neapel-39-and-palermo-39-pilot-watches/

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Good watches Laco. Like Stowa they actaully made the fleigers back in the day I beleive.

I’m not sureabout the orange though!

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

prefer my ‘Pepsi’ anyway

Sacrilege! I know I’m in a minority here but I’ve never much liked the SKX007/9, I think the 779/781s have a lot more character. The QC’s way better on the Gen 1 Monsters I’ve seen too.

Premier Icon cromolyolly
    Free Member

The QC’s way better on the Gen 1 Monsters I’ve seen too.

I’ve got a Pepsi, an Orange Monster gen 1 and a white samurai. The OM isn’t bad but the bezel doesn’t line up – since it doesnt have an insert, there is nothing you can do to fix it.
    The Samurai is the best of the bunch QC wise. The Pepsi and the OM tie for second. They all ran 25s a day fast out of the factory of course, that’s mandatory for a seiko.

Premier Icon Woody
    Free Member

Bugger! The Pepsi is now playing up, the rotor sounds ‘rough’ and to cap it all an old Seiko 5 which has always kept very good time has also decided to stop. I wonder if the Ebay guy will do a bulk discount?

On the plus side, while rummaging about for something/anything that worked,I came across a Zenith Xl-tronic in a bag of ‘cheap’ watches which belonged to my Dad. Hopefully just needs a new battery as the movement looks like new and was a nice surprise when I opened it up.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,521 through 3,560 (of 3,688 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.