Viewing 40 posts - 3,401 through 3,440 (of 8,570 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Kryton57

Not before I’ve ebayed most of them tomorrow.

w00dster

Very similar number as well Kryton, but due to The pandemic I’ve not seen or had access to two of my watches since December 2019, one of them I really like as well. They’re locked in a safe I don’t have access to!!
    I’m tempted with making a new purchase but would need to sell two watches…..only problem is the wife bought me one of the ones I’d off load….not overly sure I’d survive intact if I even mentioned it!!
    Years ago an ex RAF friend of mine purchased a Bell & Ross (square face one resembling a WWII fighter “dashboard”?, anyway I was politely saying how I really liked it (I didn’t)…but the wife bought me a similar one. I feel really bad for wanting rid, but it’s sat there not getting used. She mentions it, but I call it my office watch and I’m working from home.
    Chopard Mille Miglia Gran Turismo XL is my current favourite and tempting me.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Thinking of selling my green sumo (generation 3, current one with sapphire crystal and upgraded movement). Would anybody be interested, before I stick it on the classifieds?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Wally

Kryton – post up a link to your ebay antics. Neilnevill a pic says a 1000 words.
    I have found classifieds on here an absolute delight.
    I have found ebay to be 20% nutters who buy something from me and then pull out – I am waiting for the other 20% who want to return the item I have posted and then finally the 20% fee invoice.

neilnevill
    Free Member
    bungle

Kryton, I’m disappointed. Only 10? Two years since you started this thread and poured petrol on my own addiction; much worse since lockdown with my Ebay watch list being mostly

watches…

Latest acquisition was a Chronologica carbon-cased diver which looked well cool in photos online but sadly looks like plastic in real life

Saccades
    Free Member

Feel dirty, Sharkey orange monster arrived today.

tthew

I have found classifieds on here an absolute delight.

Aw, cheers Wally. 😍
    I’ve ordered a nice new strap for it from Barton Bands.

Kryton57

@bungle lol, I’m sorry. I’ve pulled myself together now and although I shan’t be buying so easily in the future, I’ve kind of categorised my watches appropriately. Even I dont know how my head works sometimes but I had some kind of “MUST WEAR ALL OF THEM!” angst in my head.

Now I’m back to accepting if one gets shut in the box for six months well, so what. The 10th one hasn’t arrived yet, it’s a rather good looking piece coming from Meranom (eventually) which is of course a clue.

irc

it’s a rather good looking piece coming from Meranom (eventually) which is of course a clue.

Vostoks! The Lada of the watch world. I’ve got 3.

bungle

@kryton657

You’re forgiven.

@irc

Vostoks…. Hmmmmmm, only got 1 of them

so far…

Damn

CountZero

The 6R15 is an upgraded 4R36/NH36 and will work, but I personally wouldn’t pay the extra for one. Cousins have the NH36 for £30 plus vat and the 6R15 for £255 plus vat and the only difference between them is the 6r uses a different steel for the hairspring and mainspring, so the 6r is slightly more resistant to magnetism and has a few hours extra power reserve. Hardly worth it for almost 9x the cost.

@Fudd
    – thank you, that’s actually the movement I was looking at, the 6R15, but I had no idea of the sort of price they go for. My thinking was to use a movement that’s actually marked Seiko, as the watch is a Seiko, but your point about the price difference is very well made! 😁

Saccades
    Free Member

With all due respect I disagree about the movement recommendation by Fudd.

The 6R15 has an extra 10 hours power reserve (getting it over the 2 day, 48 hours magic mark) and the spec is to be 20 seconds a day less variable than a 4R36 you mentioned.

In addition, the 4r36 is a day and date movement whereas the 6r15 is just the date.

Personally, if on a budget I would go for the answer inadvertently touched on by referencing the NH36. Buy a NH15, sometimes called an NE15 movement. These are the same as the 6R15 movement, made by Seiko but unbranded to be fitted to other manufacturers watches (micro brands). Last time I looked they were about $70 USD.

Win, win.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Really? With the Seiko fans here I thought a great condition sumo would stir interest …. Look at that lovely sunburst green dial….no? I’m interested in another green dialed Seiko diver and want one out first…. Desperately trying not to buy a second new watch in a month!

Kamakazie

Only your second?
    I’ve bought 4 since Christmas but then I guess I’ve sold 2, and another soon so not really that bad numbers wise.

Planning to build up to 10 or so max, though wherever I look a see different ones I like so that may not happen.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m not in the market for that Seiko but I’ve always been a bit on the fence ref green dials until I got my green Pantor a few months ago and decided green looks much, much better in the flesh than it does on screen. So if there’s anyone on the fence about the colour I’d take a punt on it.

johnners
    Free Member

With the Seiko fans here I thought a great condition sumo would stir interest …. Look at that lovely sunburst green dial….no?

I’m usually an absolute sucker for a green dial but FedEx just turned up today with a 40mm Swordfish in emerald green so I’m less interested than I’d usually be. Jody JOMW just posted a review of a Sumo today, rather a conservative black model though.

Kryton57

On a similar theme the other day I watched Jody’s Samurai review so have a new appreciation for mine.

neilnevill
    Free Member

🙂 I bought it after i decided I wanted a green dial, didn’t have a Seiko, didn’t want to pay loads but was content with something quality and the new sumo had been getting lots of reviews as it had been out only 6 months or so. I thought it might be comically large on my slim wrists but it is the most comfortable watch I own despite its 45 mm size. the hugely chamfered case and lug shape make it great. The dial and bezel are a great colour, nice sunburst to the dial, and the colour changes from almost black in some lights to really vibrant in sunlight. The reason I’m thinking of changing is I have seen another watch with a brighter green dial though that just made me go, ‘ wow!’

Bullet

Had some money to spend as a retirement gift from work so just bought one of these. Fancied something with a bit of colour as all my watches have black faces. Really pleased with the weighty feel and look, makes a nice change to have some colour! The brushed finish to the stainless steel is almost titanium in appearance which again is a nice contrast to my other steel bracelet watches.

sprocker
    Free Member

Neil how much are you looking for the sumo?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ll pm you

CountZero

@Saccades – thank you for that, that’s useful info. There are two reasons for considering the 6R15, first there’s the improved power reserve, along with it being hackable, the second is that the watch is one I bought with money left me by my mum, so it has a sentimental value, but also the value of the SRP045K1 is going up due to the scarcity of the watch – it was only produced for about 20 months, wasn’t really a big hit, but collectors are now starting to appreciate it, and so is the value starting to appreciate, so I felt it might be worth spending a bit on a good Seiko calibre, I only paid about £250 for the watch, NOS, but they seem to be going for two to three times that.
    It’s a very solid watch, if it’s got the original bracelet, it’s certainly noticeable on the wrist!

Saccades
    Free Member

I know all about the spork (Inc yours from this and the original thread), it’s been an appreciated model for quite some time, yobokies even did an skx007 mod version.

The NH15 is the same seiko movement as you have without the “SEIKO” branding on the rotor.

What you do, depends on your budget and sentimentality tbh.

At £220 for a new 6r15 it’s worth getting your movement serviced rather than a new movement. This would by my option if it was from my mum.

If you want the same performance on a bit of a budget, £70 quid without the Seiko name (the spork doesn’t have a display case back so only you would know) but made by Seiko gets a NH15 dropped in and have the original movement to get serviced in the future. This would be my option funds are tight at the mo. You could swap the rotors over (it’s easy, even I did it once to sputter coat a rotor in gold) but as there is no display back there is no point.

If you are on a budget, get a nh35 dropped in. I’d rather not wear the watch and save up than do this tbh as jewellers costs are probably the greater chunk of the bill.

Or leave it 20 years like my dad’s skx031 and then do something when it’s ground to a paste.

brads
    Free Member

Must have £25k of watches upstairs and am currently kicking about in a Citizen Eco Drive lol.
    Plain military style watch and it really rocks.
    Cost me £60 on the plane back from Gran Canaria haha.

Kryton57

@bullet you’ve been sucked in haven’t you? Isn’t that the 3rd in recent times? 😀

johnners
    Free Member

The reason I’m thinking of changing is I have seen another watch with a brighter green dial though that just made me go, ‘ wow!’

Do tell…

Kamakazie

I think green dialled watches are my current favourite, with the Minase Horizon being at the top of the list.
    Minase

But others I really like are the Hanhart Pioneer II limited edition, Seiko Presage SARX071, Millecheon Monarch and then right at the relative budget end of the scale, the Geckota G-01 green dial.
    There’s a few others too, mostly divers and infact the Boldr above comes in a nice green too.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Anyone here own a Tissot T-touch solar? It appeals to the inner geek in me, which, lets face it, is why watches hold such appeal anyway. Would be buying second hand, although they do seem to hold their value quite well. Worried it may look too big, and also it may go ‘kaboom’. Anyone have any experience with one?
    Thanks.

Bullet

@Kryton57 – yep, proper watch geek now. Was the Speedmaster Moonwatch last year, the Steinhart for Xmas and now the Boldr 😀 Still get caught looking at Bremont’s now but that may be a step too far!

I blame everyone on this thread 😉

neilnevill
    Free Member

Haha johnners! If you must know it’s something rare that popped up on tz-uk sales corner and may be gone by now anyway. A limited edition JDM (one of 2018) modern 62mas. If it had been available when I first was hunting I may have got it then but it had sold out. It was a difficult choice anyway, although the 62mas has a brighter green dial that really appeals and is more my normal size then the 45 mm sumo, the sumo has a green bezel and the 6r35 movement. Hopefully Saccades will correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the 6r35 is the same as the 6r15 in the 62mas, but with a 70 hour per reserve, so it’ll go a weekend unworn. However any fear the sumo was too big was misplaced and it’s my most comfortable watch to wear!

johnners
    Free Member

A limited edition JDM (one of 2018) modern 62mas

Ah, I think I know the one. SBDC059/SPB081, an absolute beauty. One a limited release of 1000 and JDM, the other an international release of 2018. Other than that I don’t know what the difference is and I’ve seen neither in the flesh. Both 6r15 with 50 hour reserve.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Yep, except I think it’s 2018 for the JDM .. Not sure though

CountZero

@Saccades – thanks, I’ll probably go for the NH15 version, I’m not so sentimental about the movement, those can and do go wrong, and fixing one like my SPORK has is clearly a non-starter. I did fork out £460 to have my fifty year old Yema fixed and serviced, but that’s now worth close on £4k, so worth it.
    Having the SPORK’s movement serviced wouldn’t fix my reasons for wanting to change it, the ability to hack it – you can, with a bit of effort, ‘hold’ the second-hand while resetting the time, but it’s such a faff, compared to the movements in my two Heimdallr watches. Having that facility would encourage me to start wearing it a lot more as well.

johnners
    Free Member

Having the SPORK’s movement serviced wouldn’t fix my reasons for wanting to change it, the ability to hack it

It’s nice to have but tbh I don’t really get the big deal with hacking unless you’re dealing with a COSC certified watch. The worst you’ll be setting it is 30 seconds out and that’s no big deal for an ordinary mechanical. If it tends to lose a few seconds set it ahead, if it gains set it behind. I’ve an Orient that gains about 15 seconds a day, it’s a waste of time worrying about setting that bugger to the second!

CountZero

@johnners – yes, I know it’s a minor irritant, but being able to hand-wind is useful, and I found another irritating feature of the SPORK’s movement this morning when I dug it out to wear having not done so for over a year, and that’s the date change! With the more modern movements like in my Heimdallr watches, if the watch has been sat unused for a while, changing the date just involves pulling out the winder one click, then winding backwards, takes a few seconds; with the SPORK, it had stopped on the 17th, and you have to wind forwards continuously to change the date every twenty-four hours, which took several minutes.
    But it’s not just that, honestly, the movement won’t be improved by an expensive service, and I’ve always felt that the watch is so well made, it’s under-served by the movement Seiko put in it, it really deserves a much better calibre, and if it can be done for £70, which is a lot less than a service, then I consider it worth every penny.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I may have cracked

Saccades
    Free Member

Woah there Count Zero.

The NE15 is a direct like for like swap with the 6R15, it just doesn’t have the Seiko branding

It does not have hacking.

To get a better movement with hacking you are looking at the (divers?) 8L35 and maybe Rob at monsterwatches can get you one but you’ll pay through the nose.

I’m not familiar with the 6R35 to know if that has hacking, but again as a Seiko branded movement it’s going to cost you.

I don’t think you need hacking unless you can get the movement to cosc standards (and it stays there).

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve never really understood the fuss about hacking, likewise sapphire crystals and ceramic bezels. Not only am I not fussed if a watch doesn’t have them, in some watches I’d specifically prefer them not to have them.

neilnevill
    Free Member

6r35 in my sumo hacks

Viewing 40 posts - 3,401 through 3,440 (of 8,570 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.