Viewing 40 posts - 3,201 through 3,240 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • CountZero

But are they happy being left for a bit and then wound again

No problem at all, I swap between two Heimdallr automatics and I can’t be arsed to keep picking the unworn one and handwinding it just to keep it going, I just either pick it up and wear it for a few minutes and then set it, or hand-wind it – mine have Seiko NH36 movements which are hackable, making it that much easier to reset, but a few seconds out is hardly an issue anyway.

By the way, did anyone see Antiques Roadshow tonight? A Rolex Sub with an amazing history and provenance, belonging to an ex-Navy SAR crewman and diver, with photos showing him wearing it, and a very rare version too – £50-60,000!

brads
    Free Member

Was it a Military issue sub ?

If so, the £60k would be bargain basement.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Didn’t see but believe i it was a bird’s beak crown guard 5513

tthew

It had a line printed on the dial that identified it as a rare none radioactive dial lume one. The line was only put on a few apparently before the tritium ones became standard.

Had the original strap too. Expert said that most got chucked and replaced through their lives so again rare.

Kato

New watch day! Whim bought a Super Compressor in the Christopher Ward sale. All the black dials had a slightly misprinted dial which had the “super compressor” text marginally to the left. Not noticeable on the wrist so doesn’t bother me. I guess that’s why they were cheap! The raised indices and domed crystal play nice with the light, but white bezel and dark dial make it look small even though it’s a 41mm case. Not sure about it but I’ve got 60 days to make my mind up!

lunge

I think I like that Kato, certainly a little different.

airvent
    Free Member

Nice that. Interesting choice to make the rotating dial internal as I guess it means you cant operate it when its wet. But how many if us do that anyway!

Cant see the text alignment issue on the photo at least. Seems like you got a good deal.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

You should be able to operate it when it’s wet, I’ve got a watch with a rotating internal bezel and there’s no issues with doing so.

Kryton57

No 86 of a limited 100:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ktYteh]20210120_123254[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ku3Duo]20210120_134656[/url]

Bullet

Not normally a fan of two tone straps but that suits the watch really well, nice and chunky.

bungle

yeah, nice Gecko’ that. Partial to names in italics, always looks classier. Got a Sumo 001 with italicised Automatic, the later ones just look cheap to me.

Kryton57

Thanks. It was a bit of an instinctive buy TBH after it appeared on my screen whilst I was pondering Duty & VAT with a Stienhart GMT in the basket. It has various points of difference;

a) I wouldn’t have normally chosen two tone but I think it works with the gilt hands and batons, a bit chintzy when needed and I don’t have another 2T.
    b) I’ve never owned a jubilee
    c) Although I could have had the ETA movement the PT5000 is cheaper and is a current talking point
    d) I love the fact it has dual sapphire, with AR on the front which is domed.
    e) The vintage look, with very subtle echos of a 55 fathoms.
    f) its a limited run.

It actually wears a little smaller than it appears in the photo, and is relatively light at 135g on a 7.5inch wrist. Wearing it overnight, the Lume was pretty decent at 05:30 this morning.

lunge

Hmm, not seen those Geckota watches before, what’s the build quality like? I guess compared to a similar priced Seiko?

Kryton57

@lunge – I’ll try to be neutral…

The Jubilee is better than the Seiko’s I’ve had in my hand, no jangling on-wrist at all. Everything seems perfectly spaced, curves and blends nicely at the lugs and was firm at the split-pins for adjusting. It has x 2 micro adjust.

The actual piece has no backplay in the bezel, it highly polished and the minute hand is close to sweeping (its 28,8000). Read up on the PT5000, its been measured at better than the ETA it clones and above COSC. The bezel is printed under an acrylic layer which glints nicely and the batons have a nice depth. Everything is straight and accurate, with 200m water resistance.

Better than Seiko? Its depends which one really, but I’d say its very good quality for the price and for me with an Urchin, Samurai and Arnie in my collection much of the appeal is thats its NOT a Seiko. On par with the Samurai I’d say, with a slightly higher quality bracelet. Oh, and the presentation packaging was apple-like also.

I bought mine through WatchGecko where its cheaper and has a Watchseek discount code.

earl_brutus

New watch day!
    Finally dropped the $$$ on this after pondering it for 18 months:

IWC

wrist shot to follow

edd

I bought a BB58 blue last week to celebrate a new job. Super pleased with it. The first serious watch in my collection. Build quality is amazing, the spring loaded ceramic balls on the bracelet clasp are an example of the unseen attention to detail.

Kato

Tudor bracelets are fantastic although I don’t like the fake rivets on some of the Black Bays. Love my BB41 and would definitely buy another Tudor

Need photos of this IWC! That’s a handsome watch!

earl_brutus
    edd

Tudor bracelets are fantastic although I don’t like the fake rivets on some of the Black Bays.

I agree with both points. That said, I find the faux rivets far less offensive on the real thing than in photos. Presumably because when the watch is on my wrist I don’t really look at the side of the bracelet.

Not a fan of the gilt colour on the BB58 black either, hence why I went for the BB58 blue.

tthew

Right, this is ‘complete’. Took ages for the strap to come from Barton Watchbands in ‘merica, but it was really worth the wait. Comes with 2 lengths of hole end for slim or big wrists, the long one would go over a wetsuit for diving tool. Quick release spring bars and there’s a nudger in the keeper that sits in the square hole at the end of the strap to keep it in place. Arguably it’s too nice for the watch!

Oh yes, and I polished the sides of the case to give it a bit more interest than the fully brushed look.

airvent
    Free Member

Quite fancy a new G Shock but theres so many to choose from I’m like a rabbit in the headlights… thinking mudmaster

dmorts

@tthew

Oh yes, and I polished the sides of the case to give it a bit more interest than the fully brushed look.

I’m glad you did, it would have been quite boring and plain otherwise 🤣

tall_martin

G shock outlet

Quite fancy a new G Shock but theres so many to choose from I’m like a rabbit in the headlights… thinking mudmaster

The g shock outlet sometimes has some great stuff. I have one from there . The tin had a tiny chip=50% off.

Wally

50 today, 1 min left and no silly rash purchase, Bottle of wine, rum and coke, cheese board and cured meats underbelt, hitting Tz-FS and ebay. What could go wrong?

Today, I have been mostly eating/wearing Eddies Navigator and an Omega Good Planet Seamaster Ti.

tthew – check out Eddies new Caribbean releases that are coming out very soon.

Not sure if the Neighbours want Divine-you think your a man at this volume.

airvent
    Free Member

The g shock outlet sometimes has some great stuff. I have one from there . The tin had a tiny chip=50% off.

Good call, just had a glance and nothing I fancy right now but some out of stock ones at a heck of a bargain! Will keep an eye on it.

brads
    Free Member

Ok so found my Rolex sub the other day and put it on for a minute then realised just how crap the bracelet is compared to my other watches.

Recommendations for a leather job for a non date steel bezel sub please. Needs to be infinitely adjustable so, deployment versions ?

kilo

I have used hirsch straps on my brietling for the last ten years or so, I just swap the breitling tinware over. I believe they do deployment buckles although I’ve not tried them. Their straps are good quality and have a bit of weight to them.

tthew

check out Eddies new Caribbean releases that are coming out very soon.

I had a search for this, are you referring to Timefactors? looks like the like who runs that is called Eddie.

Kato

I sent that Super Compressor back. The misprinted dial was annoying me and £500 was cheap If I loved it but something wasn’t right with it. Couldn’t say what I disliked but the more I looked at it the more “meh” I got.

Strap was lovely though

Kato

Tempted to try an Apple Watch you know, but would relegate my “proper” watches to jewellery? I only use my Garmin for work, running or cycling

jeffc

So apparently these are now selling for near 100k. Any suggestions what I should replace it with?

lunge

Tempted to try an Apple Watch you know, but would relegate my “proper” watches to jewellery?

Depends why you want to try it.
    I wear a Garmin activity tracker on my right wrist, use it to monitor sleep, HR and has notifications from my phone. It’s nowhere near the functionality of the Apple Watch but is a good compromise. It also doesn’t look like I’m wearing 2 watches as I too like to wear a mechanical watch on my left wrist.

So apparently these are now selling for near 100k. Any suggestions what I should replace it with?

Wow.
    It’s a beautiful watch but for £100k you can take your pick as to what next. Unless of course it’ll be worth £150k next year in which case I may keep hold of it!

edd

jeffc

🙂

You’ll not get much love for that on here

My three G’s

MTG-B1000

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jcz94x]2020-06-16_08-54-14[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Mudmaster GWG-1000

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kmqTJJ]DSC00007[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Full Metal Square GMW-B5000

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kbE7qR]2020-11-29_10-08-59[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

johnners
    Free Member

You’ll not get much love for that on here

Of those 3, the top one’s cluttered and hard to read and I’ve never cared much for the squares. I really like the GWG-1000 though. There’s no point trying for subtle with a G and that one just screams GNARR at you without a hint of self conciousness!

lunge

This is my G-Shock, AWG 101. it’s probably my most worn watch, certainly is the last 12 months as I barely leave the house so don’t put on a good watch. It’s easily 15 years old, solar powered so never needs a battery and pretty much indestructible.

bob_summers

Love that square Casio.

Re Apple watches, my ‘proper’ watches don’t get a look in since I got mine and I’m not really sure why. I have it on silent all the time and it sucks *for me* as a running watch despite what Rainmaker says.

tthew

Er, a house?! (albeit a small one in a fairly inexpensive area)

Nice problem to have. 👍

scratch
    Free Member

Any views on the latest Tissot re-do?

PRX

earl_brutus

That tissot looks a bit too £50 seiko for my liking. Shame they didn’t put an auto movement in there.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,201 through 3,240 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.