• This topic has 8,686 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by Kryton57.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • tthew

Difficult! Just missed out on a couple this weekend. Well I say missed out, I appeared to come second but you don’t know how much the winner was willing to go over the final price.

I know one has been sent, it should be with the new owner very soon, if not already.

mrmoofo

Update on my Heimdallr.
    It eventually arrived after 3.5 months, and looked good.

The lime then fell out of the 12 o’clock position in the bezel. Cue contract with Heimdallr and them saying they would send me a new bezel.
    I was walking out on Sunday, when hit by the torrential rain. Crown screwed in on said watch – but 1/2 hr later the glass is completely fogged up.
    Heimdallr now say they will replace – I am saying refund – as it is nor fit for purpose. Let see how long this is going to take …

Caveat Empor, guys and gals ….

johnners
    Free Member

Heimdallr now say they will replace – I am saying refund – as it is nor fit for purpose. Let see how long this is going to take …

I’d want a refund too but unless they’ve an EU presence (and if they do the 3.5 months suggest that’s not where you bought your watch) I reckon you’ll struggle to get one. You might just have been unlucky, Heimdallr get decent reviews so a replacement just might save fruitless hassle.

Wally

Well, that did not take long, first TZ-uk classified purchase on wrist. Really delighted.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Just bought something so need to make space – is anyone interested in these? After £110 for the diver and £60 for the dressier one, both have brand new straps and batteries.

toofarwest

Picked up for my 50th just before lockdown and I’m only just getting around to posting here.

Watchbox

box2

watch

w00dster

Can’t see pictures toofarwest?

toofarwest

Ahh that didn’t work, to be honest I’ve not tried uploading since Photobucket started charging for hosting.

lunge

Watch swap watch has arrived and it’s spot on, though the strap is terrible, I may yet replace it.
    Lucky recipient, I will get it in the post shortly.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Not suitable for the £30 watch thing, but does anyone want a free watch? Leather Nato is tired but the black one is new (and cheap). Keeps good time but has an incredible loud movement and is cheaply made.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ooo, come on toofar, you have me interested now!

I’m thinking ahead to my own 50th currently. Still 2.8 years away but it takes me ages to choose nice watches!

Current considerations, after the wife shook her head when I showed her a Pam 372, are: GS Snowflake, Rolex op39 white dial, white dial black bezel SMP. Or if somehow very flush…. Rose gold tresor. Next week may be a different list…. Who knows.

But if Rolex ever do a white dialed in explorer my decision is made.

mrmoofo

I’d want a refund too but unless they’ve an EU presence (and if they do the 3.5 months suggest that’s not where you bought your watch) I reckon you’ll struggle to get one. You might just have been unlucky, Heimdallr get decent reviews so a replacement just might save fruitless hassle.

They have said they will not refund an “old watch” – so 6 weeks old, broken bezel, and not waterproof. Has to be sent to CH to be returned, and I will get a replacement – not chance of a refund.

Maybe my experience is bad, maybe I should have not dealt with them directly … but I have hated the experience – so even when I get a replacement (let’s see if that happens) it will never get worn.
    Buy from them knowing the risk

w00dster

Hi Neil, I’m pretty much the same age as you and currently saving for my 50th birthday watch. We have similar tastes, I’m humming and harring over a few watches and change my mind pretty much every week.
    As I’ve said on here before, I just don’t like Rolex. But they make so much sense to buy as they won’t lose any money. My white face Explorer II is a bit to “bling” for me. I love my Panerai, but haven’t had it since lock down as it’s in the father in laws safe. The grand Seiko in your list floats my boat, I like the fact that most people won’t know it’s an expensive watch.
    My only advice is to not let your Mrs interfere with your choice. My wife has bought me a few watches that are expensive, and being absolutely honest, her choice is not what I would choose. But they were gifts so I can’t complain.
    Currently high up on my list is a Glashutte Original Senator, something a bit different, expensive and the nagging feeling I have is that the future value will drop significantly.
    https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Glashutte-Original-Senator-Chronograph-Panorama-Date-Mens-Watch/p/17140354/#fo_c=655&fo_k=523e8b5132a4fb9401e8ada537c5cd26&fo_s=slisys

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

New watch Friday! Ready for all the rain.

IHN

That’s nice, I like that.

The old £30 watch swap is going to the wire for me, watching (pardon the pun) a few but I bet they’re all going to go north of thirty quid. Then there’s others that I kind of like, but I’m not bowled over by, but will that have to do? Time’s a tickin’ (see above)

neilnevill
    Free Member

Hi woodster! You’ve a fiddy haven’t you? I never used to like panerai but having seen some really great photos and read a bit more of the brand they appeal more. I like bigger watches despite a 6.75″ wrist. I like tool/divers, hence the 41.5mm 8500 PO (black dial), pelagos on (blue) and sumo (green). The size, tool look and simple styling of a fiddy appeal but I’m undecided, it seems too simple and value wise is poor (although I’d likely buy used to overcome that). Generally my Mrs tastes match my own so I still her view as a guide, but she knows it’s my watch and my choice.

Yeah the explorer 11 doesn’t appeal to me. I do like the original explorer 1 but don’t want it black dialed…. I think. If they do a white one I’d be keen, and the op 39 very nearly fits the bill….I just want the 369 dial!

The Snowflake does look incredible and my engineering background means good movements are something I look for, the coax escapement sold me the po and the spring drive could sell me the Snowflake. It’s a strong contender!

The SMP I’ve always liked and I was close to getting a blue one last summer as my wedding present but then the smurf pelagos came along and I loved that so much! I think I’ve a soft spot for Omega divers though and either the silver with blue bezel or white with black would be different enough from my other watches… The white when black is gorgeous I think.

The tresor would be a pure stress watch and..wow it’s stunning in rose gold, but I’d probably hardly wear it…. Weddings and funerals only error thing!

The glashutte does have a sweet vintage look! I too would be fearful of how much it would drop in value. Personally I’d not have a problem buying used but can see not everyone wants to, especially for a big occasion watch. It’ll cost more to own too with those complications, but it’s very attractive.

It’s a fun journey, choosing.

tthew

The old £30 watch swap is going to the wire for me, watching (pardon the pun) a few but I bet they’re all going to go north of thirty quid.

I think we’re all pissing in the same pot and outbidding each other. 😊 I’ve tried looking at other sources, but pickings are slim outside e-bay.

toofarwest

Ok let’s try again

toofarwest

w00dster

Very nice toofarwest. Now you know how to upload photos let’s see one on the wrist (sounds rude but you know what I mean!)
    I like the history behind zenith, especially the el Primero and cal 400 being used by Rolex for the Daytona.

toofarwest

I’d been looking at speedmasters prior to this, didn’t really know much about Zenith until I came across a watchfinder vid then started looking into the brand.

w00dster

I’m liking the Zenith a lot.
    This is now leading my next watch purchase debate at the moment….

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/zenith/zenith-el-primero-50th-anniversary-a384-revival-original-1969-37mm–id14078050.htm

Ah man, I should banned from the internet! I’m now even thinking I could sell my Blackbay 58 to buy the Zenith….

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ooo nice, wl primero, quality chrono. My perception of zenith is a quality brand that flies under the radar bit deserves more respect than it gets.

tthew

That link just leads to a 404, page not found error – did you buy it w00dster?

w00dster

The Zenith I like is Zenith El Primero 50th Anniversary A384 Revival Original 1969 37mm. I think it’s £6500 from WoS, but can be bought for under £5k though.
    Unfortunately I have a wife who also has expensive hobbies, so the purse strings are tightly closed for now.
    Next month I’ve got Mrs W’s 40th birthday gift to pay for……which conveniently will help me if I do decide on the Daytona for my 50th.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Surely if you think you have the purchase history, sorry…’think you have the relationship with the ad’ for a Daytona you take it whether you want it out not. Stash it away safe, if you decide you want it then it’s there, if not then you cash in when you need the cash

w00dster

Yeah don’t disagree, but I’m also conflicted as I’m not a huge fan of the brand and the Daytona is one of the main watches that Rolex produce so few as to keep an inflated price.
    Not yet got a good enough relationship for the Daytona hence buying the wife something for her birthday, pretty sure I could get the Sky Dweller though, but next door neighbour has that watch and I’m not too keen.
    The wife thinks I should buy the Daytona for the reason you mention. It’s a significant purchase for me though, so also thinking it needs to be something I enjoy. Silly first world problems I know!

lunge

A question for you all.
    If you had £500 to spend on a watch, what would you buy? This is the amount I have been told by my family I have for an upcoming birthday.
    Don’t want a generic Sub “homage”/copy, must be mechanical and not fashion brand (so Tissot is OK, Hugo Boss isn’t).
    Something Seiko is my first thought, a Pressage is a maybe, though they are a little big for dress watches and it doesn’t quite stretch to the Prospex.

w00dster

Hard to say what type watches another person is in to.
    For me, I’d probably look for a second hand (but new) Christopher Ward C60 Trident, should get one for £500. I wouldn’t pay full price for one. Another eBay option is to try and get a Longines Hydroconquest, over budget but you never know what a cheeky bid will get you.
    Or if you prefer tool style watches, you’d be able to get a new Seiko Prospex Arnie re-release just in budget.
    Or if more dress watch, then this is nice….

https://www.creativewatch.co.uk/product/mens-tissot-gentleman-powermatic-80-silicium-swiss-black-on-black-strap-t127.407.16.051.00-watch?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhIP6BRCMARIsALu9Lfncafe91DIKWtoh7RXkbB8iPPxbCjfqCePeHJQQuB_A2kSatG4gdeMaAuWkEALw_wcB

Example Longines

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Longines-hydroconquest-automatic-39mm-Black-dial-steel-bracelet-L37414566/203084315905?hash=item2f48c4bd01:g:XMsAAOSwyL9fQFXp

Kryton57

Something Seiko is my first thought

I must say I’m very happy with my Arnie, which doesn’t wear as large as you think, has a certain feel about it, and for me has drawn three spots/comments already. It’s an amazing thing.  I appreciate it’s not mechanical but it’s solar, Prospex and ISO certified.

Or, a friend of mine is very happy indeed with his Orient Triton.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Or a Tissot Visodate. Or hmm Christopher ward are bit beyond that these days… Seiko sumo. There, I’ve recommended 2 of my watches

Kryton57

Or the new Spinnaker Hydrofoil mech quartz.  The panda looks great:

https://spinnaker-watches.co.uk/pages/sp-5086-hydrofoil-unveil-signup

derek_starship
    Free Member

That Spinnaker looks lovely. Wake for me.

neilnevill
    Free Member

There are some Christopher ward in budget, they are worthy watches

beaker

I may be slightly biased but Steinhart may have something that fits the bill.

IHN

Well, watch-swappers, I’ve found one! Bit of a gamble, it’s to my taste, will the lucky recipient agree…

IvanDobski
    Free Member

@lunge

If you like Presages the new Presage Skybar SRPE43J is apparently a bit smaller and has a distinct Grand Seiko vibe to it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

1 September, rolex drop the 2020 watches. i reckon it will be underwhelming….rolex very rarely do big changes, they prefer to evolve slowly, not revolutionary change. however….a white dialed explorer, in 40 or 42mm wouldo me please.

Kryton57

Has anyone spotted the Tag Lewis Hamilton in the classifieds?   Looks a bit over valued perhaps, especially as its a Maclaran edition…

neilnevill
    Free Member

huh? I was just looking at a spesh tarmac on sales corner, now classifieds has a Tag?!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,721 through 2,760 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.