Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 2,867 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

is it the sort of thing people are interested in or should I just bin the lot?

I don’t think there’s any inherent value in them but you’d be daft to bin them – they all look like decent everyday watches I’d be happy to wear. The Casio is available new around the £25 mark with a few years worth of battery and a guarantee so you’d not expect much for that, and you might get £10 apiece for the others if you ebay them, £20 on a good day so maybe not worth the effort.

I’ve an old 70’s Seiko that was my dad’s, since he wore it all the time and was a clumsy DIY enthusiast it’s battered TF and worth cock all. It’d be worth maybe £100 in perfect condition and with a following wind but even then I’d never sell it. No sentimental attachment to yours? If so maybe just hang on to them, it’s not as if 4 watches take up much space.

Premier Icon lunge

@IvanDobski, where did you get that Orient Flight 2 from? I can’t seem to find that model online and it looks lovely.

Premier Icon cookeaa

Another G-shock:

G-5600E

It’s appreciably more compact than the GW-B5600 I posted in December, the dial is also far more legible, the strap even feels a tad more flexible/softer. The resin is definitely not the same colour though its a sort of Browny/purpleish grey…

A vast improvement (IMO) for about the same price, I might just flip the other square G, they still seem sought after on fleabay.

Premier Icon IvanDobski
    Free Member

lunge
    Subscriber
    @IvanDobski, where did you get that Orient Flight 2 from? I can’t seem to find that model online and it looks lovely.

I got it from Creation Watches but it was the last one they had. I’ll have a look about and see if I can see any elsewhere and let you know.

I was a bit uncertain about the Flight 2 as the lower half of the dial is quite empty compared to the upper half and I thought it might look a bit unbalanced but the texture seems to resolve that really well.

Edit – Long Island Watches have stock but it says they don’t ship to the UK. Prob worth contacting them though as I’ve definitely bought Orients from them before. Also, Serious Watches have stock but I’ve never dealt with those guys so don’t know much about them.

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Orient_Automatic_Watch_p/ra-ac0h02n10a.htm

https://www.seriouswatches.com/collections/orient/products/orient-ra-ac0h02n

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

You’ve seen this before but….well…I’ve not worn it for a while…plus the strap is new. It’s a seatbelt (was NATO) from georgesstraps which I (well..mum) turned into a two piece. it seems rather well suited.

putting it one again reminded me its a bit of monster this thing. I’m been wearing my PO and my Sumo and although the Pelagos is light, it is big! those slab sides…its not subtle is it.

Premier Icon tthew

Would anyone like a bit of a watch buying challenge?

Who can buy the best watch in, say 6 weeks. Post up pictures and we’ll vote on the best somehow. Here’s the kicker, to stop someone just trumping the game with a £10k Rolex, all the entries get randomly redistributed at the end of the competition, you don’t keep what you bought.

New or second hand.
    Digital or analogue.
    Working and not completely trashed.

6 weeks gives time to find something in a charity shop or online and get posted I think without rushing into the first thing you see. Anyone want to join in?

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

something different

null

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

I found that yesterday in mum’s garage while on the last leg of ‘clear out the rest of dad’s rubbish, tools and treasures’. I didn’t hink much of it and shoved it in my pocket but a few hours later I noticed the back…

null

Premier Icon mrsheen
    Free Member

Could be a Kriegsmarine U-Boat Officers Torpedo Timer Stopwatch.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

FFS, someone feed the hamsters! I’m having the issue where once I paste a photo I can’t add any more text and have to submit my post, close the website and reenter!

Anyway….is that a Swastika? WTF? didn’t think any more until I remembered it just now and googled ‘german eagle symbol stop watch’ and one of the first images returned is….

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/hermann-historica-ohg/catalogue-id-srher10000/lot-e816d091-1eeb-4e62-9dca-a40100e108f5

Now how on earth dad came to own a Kreigsmarine U-boat navigator’s stop watch I have no idea! The detective work on this will be fun!

yes it runs perfectly. no I’ve not yet opened it up, yes the hands are intact despite the acrylic crystal having popped out, the dial is cracked though and has 2 holes punched in it at 22 secs and 53 seconds…the dial feet have done it I think. I assume it was dropped at some point. Odd though, as neither me, mum or my older brother remember anything about it, and I can’t even see why dad had a stop watch unless it was related to his motorbike scrambling and trials hobby as a young man. Pure guess, but maybe it relates to that and since he did some army competitions while on national service,could that be where it came from? Detectives assemble!

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

mrsheen! well done!

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

do you know anything about them?

Premier Icon mrsheen
    Free Member

I’m a historian by education but just did a search of the letter numbers online.

This might be a good place to start albeit a different watch?:
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/ww2-german-timer-u-jagd.31389/

Reddit thread too:

WW2 German Stopwatch my British Grandpa took off a Nazi (I in no way support Nazi’s just thought this was cool) from ww2

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Cheers.! It seems mine is not a Junghanns, the triangle mark on the dial is maker Hermann Bark, Kiel. Kiel being the home of the u-boat fleet.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Correction, circle in triangle means its a Dugena made stopwatch, used for timing torpedoes. In decent condition it could be a few/high hundreds quid, in its …..patina’d condition it’ll be less I guess!

Premier Icon CountZero

in its …..patina’d condition it’ll be less I guess!

Conversely, collectors often prefer a watch to be in untouched original condition, but it’s always difficult to judge these things.
    Personally, I’d at least see if I could find someone who could reset the Crystal in its correct position, and clean all the tape residue off.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

yeah I am trying to find out a bit more about it and will then make a decision but may get it serviced. However it has no sentimental value so its likely that any action will be chosen according to cost and payback. It was working yesterday but today its not, and I cannot open the back either.

Premier Icon gauss1777
    Free Member

Cookeaa, I have just noticed that your gshock with the negative display has dd/mm. Whereas the other has mm/dd. Is the option of dd/mm specific to that watch? I’d like to be able to set my gshock the same, but I don’t think it’s possible.

Premier Icon tthew

Anyone fancy the idea of competitive watch buying? Suggestion politely ignored because it’s rubbish, or just missed because of neilneville’s spectacular stopwatch?

Premier Icon IvanDobski
    Free Member

It’s an interesting idea but not for me, I’d only buy something I thought was cool and if I thought it was cool I’d want to keep it!

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

I saw it but was distracted by my ‘spectacular’? no… intriguing and baffling and apparently quality but not that uncommon stopwatch.
    it might be fun, we need some limits though

Premier Icon frankconway

tthew – could be interesting but you need to set a price cap and require proof of purchase for your suggestion to be viable.

Premier Icon cookeaa

Cookeaa, I have just noticed that your gshock with the negative display has dd/mm. Whereas the other has mm/dd. Is the option of dd/mm specific to that watch? I’d like to be able to set my gshock the same, but I don’t think it’s possible.

Yep it’s a GW-B5600 and you can change date display and I think language via the app.

Anyone fancy the idea of competitive watch buying? Suggestion politely ignored because it’s rubbish, or just missed because of neilneville’s spectacular stopwatch?

It’s an interesting idea but I think you’d have to set a sensible budget limit (personally I’d not want to give away a watch that I’d spent more than ~£20 on, or indeed receive one) and maybe have a loose brief. Maybe it’s got to be an up-front opt in thing just to stop people backing out later. Perhaps the best option would be names in a hat secret santa style, no posting images or details once you’ve bought it, instead send it straight on to the random recipient, who then has to post an image and a mini review…

Although as Ivan points out if I bought something I liked, I’d probably want to hold on to it…

Premier Icon tthew

Competitive watch buying – well I thought about £20 to £30, but it depends how generous you want to be/how desperate you are to win!

if I bought something I liked, I’d probably want to hold on to it…

Ah that’s the rub! Risk/reward or whatever. I’m sure we’ll all try to buy something interesting, that’s kind of the point. You MAY be unlucky, that’s the part of the game, (but you can’t win if you’re not willing to swap at the end)

edit –

Perhaps the best option would be names in a hat secret santa style, no posting images or details once you’ve bought it, instead send it straight on to the random recipient, who then has to post an image and a mini review…

Yep, that’s a good suggestion, I like that!

Premier Icon umop3pisdn
    Free Member

70s Seiko SQ are a great value proposition. Picked this up for about £50 as the blue dial is a bit rarer but £30 should get a good example with a white face (e.g.). Mine’s only 33mm so should feel tiny but wears really well.

Premier Icon welshfarmer

I am trying to find a nice small all day/every day watch for under £50, preferably with date. That Seiko is absolutely spot on for what I would like. Any pointers where I could pick something simialr up for that sort of money?

Premier Icon IHN

I’d be up for the competitive watch buying if we set the limit at £30, and we can do it Secret Santa stylee. Any way we can do it so literally no-one knows who bought for who?

Premier Icon umop3pisdn
    Free Member

eBay, ‘Seiko SQ’. There’s loads of them – set up a saved search and keep an eye on it for a few weeks and you’ll get a good idea for values. There’s two general styles, the ones with the more Gothic applied ‘SQ’ logo and another that’s a bit more Comic Sans. Some on bracelets, some on straps. Not much to go wrong with really.

Tissot Seastars can also be great VFM, both autos and quartz for less than a ton.

Premier Icon IHN

Or Seiko 5, cos then it’s an automatic with day/date too. Tonnes of styles available, some lovely stuff for under £50

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Update on my stop watch, I was wrong on the maker, circle inside triangle is Dugena. The M denotes naval issue. The N/G denotes Nordelph Group, which makes it an earlier example.

I’ve had the back open, nothing much to see.

I’ve had the bezel off but realized it’s slightly dented and the crystal pops in from the front, which it doesn’t want to do. I can see this was dropped in its past, bezel dented and crystal popped, not needed it was put away and forgotten.

Oh and it runs bang on for a minut against my sumo but I can’t wind it. Hmmm.

Advice from my friendly local watch guy was bung on eBay as is. Repair of dial very costly, and his guy won’t service it incase it needs a part. I’m still trying to work out where it came from. Have recalled dad’s uncle was a bomber crew flight engineer, shot down and killed over France just after d-day. We have his medals and bits and although this watch wasn’t with them could RAF have used so Dugena stop watches? But then the M and N/G throw a spanner in our being issued to him….so still no wiser.

Premier Icon cookeaa

Has the competitive watch buying idea fizzled?

I’d still be up for it, but this being ostensibly a bike forum shouldn’t we combine it with some sort of bicycle related angle?

I like the idea of a recipient receiving a set of over elaborate geo-cache type instructions, spending them halfway across the country that they have to cycle to for their “prize”…

When they finally get round to it six months later they can fish a knackered vostok and a picture of a stranger giving them the finger out of an old biscuit tin.

Premier Icon tthew

Has the competitive watch buying idea fizzled?

No, but I’ve been busy the last few days. I’ll post the ‘official’ rules later based on suggestions above and put a call out to confirm who’s in.

I like the idea of a recipient receiving a set of over elaborate geo-cache type instructions, spending them halfway across the country that they have to cycle to for their “prize”…

When they finally get round to it six months later they can fish a knackered vostok and a picture of a stranger giving them the finger out of an old biscuit tin.

🤣🤣 I don’t THINK I’ll use that suggestion, but it entertained me nonetheless. I’ve never been fingered from a biscuit tin.

Premier Icon tthew

Right, here we go, the official Multi-coloured STW Watch Swap.

(one for the kids there)

Rule one applies*
    Anyone who is playing buys the best watch they can for between £20 and £30.
    Any age, style, type of watch but it must tell the time, (so no stopwatches or mechanical pedometers however cool they are). Must be working and not completely wrecked.
    You don’t get to keep the watch you buy, you send it off to another player who will be randomly allocated by HAL-9000 and their name and address supplied to you by PM.
    You will receive another watch in the post from your associate Horologist.
    When that arrives, post up some pictures of the watch, tell us about it and what you think of it.
    If you recognise the watch as the one you posted, you don’t have to confess it was you that sent it, (saves embarrassment if the recipient hates it) but you can of you wish.
    Once all watches are swapped, each player will vote for their favorite, (maybe favorites 2 if there’s enough players) and HAL-9000 will collate the scores and declare the winning watch.
    Watches should be supplied to the recipient by the end of August 2020, that should be enough time to find and get a watch sent even from abroad and with slow post if you get it from eBay.
    Watches can be sourced from anywhere, charity or ‘antique’ (junk) shops, the internets, Hatton Garden safety deposit boxes etc.
    You need to let me know your name and address (probably that’s best by PM) as soon as you can to join in.
    GO!

If you have any other or better suggestions, happy to have them.

*Yeah, that rule one.

I’m going to the pub now. See you later.

Premier Icon mrsheen
    Free Member

Tempted by the watch swap.

Maybe have a deadline every month or whatever frequency for people to opt in so you’d have definite numbers?

Premier Icon lunge

Sod it, for £20 I’m in. PM sent.

Premier Icon tthew

… deadline every month…

Just going to do it once for now!

Only one PM from IHN so far, two other players so far, thanks for the PM’s (which I’ll reply to in a bit) I’ll maybe send out a few of my own to try and drum up some interest. 👍

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

D’Oh! how stupid am I? I couldn’t wind the stopwatch as…it was fully wound. I set it going Friday afternoon and put it back in the drawer. left it until late last night when it had stopped after running for either 18 minutes 10 seconds or 18+30, or 18+60, or… anyway it then wound fine. So I wound it andset it going again, which needed a gentle shake to start it off. Still running some 14 hours later.

Through MWR forum I’m in contact with a collector of them.

Premier Icon IvanDobski
    Free Member

Right, after a bikepacking overnighter last week I’ve decided I “need” a new watch for such occasions. I had been thinking of an Instinct Solar but given Garmin’s ongoing issues I might give that a miss.

So the criteria are:

Tough – quartz not auto
    Waterproof – 100m minimum
    Legible – not g-shock
    Sub £200 so I can lose it in a tent – not 100% set in stone, not even 50% set in stone tbh.
    Analog – not Casio FW91
    42mm+ –

I’ve got a couple of contenders in mind but let’s see what the STW watch fam comes up with…

Premier Icon cookeaa

@IvanDobski

Casio SGW-100, not a G-Shock or a Pro-trek so less bulky:
    200m water resistant, has a much bigger, more legible display and good backlight, has a few other G-shock features, world time, stopwatch, timer, multiple alarms, mineral glass, also includes a pointless compass and thermometer.
    48mm dia/13mm thick but doesn’t wear that big.

Can be had for just £35… It’s one of my prefered knock about watches.

Premier Icon cookeaa

Whoops missed your Analogue requirement.

Timex expedition?
    They come in a few different flavours standard or chronograph mostly as field watches, can be had in 40 and 42mm with a good ‘indiglo’ backlight…

Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 2,867 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.