• This topic has 2,690 replies, 242 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by w00dster.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,691 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • You were right. It is a Constellation.

I believe it is this one:

Model no. BA 368.0847

Thanks for the hints. I was told it was a Seamaster.

nicko74

heres plenty of edges too, thats for sure. heres some more pics of the lugs and bracelet:

Nice, it’s got some heft to it! From head on it looks quite svelte; interesting to see the solidity behind that. And I’m a big fan of a display back!

That looks like it.

Just to muddy the waters, there were square seamasters, in gold, with integrated bracelets. They tended to have large cases, with the dial taking up more of the area of the case, narrower edge of the case.
    From the picture I would say you e found the correct one, although I wouldn’t say it 100% isn’t a seamaster.

I have a couple of Constellations, a quartz day-date-dial with claws from 1992 and a f300 from 1972ish.

I’d love one of those ^^ though

wysiwyg

Any recommendations for a 2482 ETA movement service? I have the movement, and im building a watch

There were a bunch of really nice square designs both seamaster and Constellation and Geneve. The seamasters were often built around the 1420 quartz calibre and the 1020 automatic.

In fact I’m sure I’ve seen picture of an omega that looked a lot like the one in your picture that had no medel name on the dial at all. It was based on the 1020 movement iirc, which was used in a lot of seamasters. So maybe the one in your picture is a seamaster from a 3rd party case builder.

As far as I know you’d know for certain by looking at the decoration on the caseback. That went with the series and I don’t believe they ever deviated from that. Not 100% on that though.

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Not having much luck in getting a BB58, I’ve not travelled too far, only local AD’s but just added to the waiting list. A new BB58 came out today, in Blue. Reasonably nice but not for me.
    For anyone interested there’s a sale on at Ernest Young, some decent prices for Seiko Prospect.

Instead of the Black Bay this has piqued my interest…. https://zrc1904.ch/en/history/the-watch.html

I also went to the local Fraser Hart to discuss a Daytona or Sky Dweller, the waiting list is closed. Even offering to pay 50% deposit for the Daytona upfront didn’t get me onto the list.

dakuan

Ah you’ll get a BB58, while I’ve been quoted 3months – 1 year from my local AD’s, in practice I hear that 3 months is nearer the mark. I got called about one yesterday, but told them I’d hang on for a blue. I put my name down with them just before lockdown. So unlike the Daytona et al, they are obtainable, you’ll just have to be patient and or willing to drive for a couple hours.

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Thanks Dakuan, I’ll travel further afield this weekend to get my name on a list with some other AD’s.
    I had a feeling the Daytona would be difficult to get hold off, I’m not in a rush for it, my 50th present to myself. Still 18 months away, I presumed I’d be able to pay half now, get on a list and pay the rest when I was on top of the list. The shops are a bit strange at the moment as I had to discuss this with them from the foyer, they seemed to want to get rid of me as quick as possible. Same for the BB58, I asked if they had any instock, how frequently they get new stock etc, but they just appeared to want me to move on. Not even trying to get me to look at other watches they had.

dakuan

i think lots of places are appointment only at the moment. Best to phone around and ask what the deal is

neilnevill

The Daytona is very very unlikely without a very very lengthy Rolex purchase history with one shop. Rolex position it as a gift or thank you to their special patrons. If you want one a lot then they are available from grey dealers but at a significant (huge) mark up.

The bb58 will come in a few months though I would think. I’ve seen plenty of reports of them in Windows although these are on the NATO or leather strap. My understanding is the bracelet version is a little harder to get but it does come.

neilnevill

Oh and the indifference to a customer at a Rolex ad may be nothing to do with the current situation. I found some quite reasonable, would offer a tea or coffee and were happy to talk watches, but I found some rude to be honest, my money clearly not wanted by them.

plyphon

The purchasing patterns around hype watches (ie: Rolex sport models, Patek, etc) are so incredibly different these days.

If someone comes into a shop asking for a GMT/Daytona/Sub then they know what they want. You’re never going to sell that customer something from Blancpain or some other brand by showing them other watches in stock.

You gotta remember you were also probably the 100th person that day (Even in lockdown) to ask them (in person, over the phone, email, etc) if they had a Daytona in stock.

Watches are really weird right now.

Personally I’d hold on, fads come and go and watches will have their day soon. Also pick an AD and tell them your story (50th Birthday etc) and keep that story alive by consistently popping in and checking up.

It’s pretty dumb really what state its all in, by hey ho.

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Neil if you see or hear of the BB58 on leather let me know.
    Yeah understood about the Daytona. Had a feeling this was the case. Unfortunately our buying history is mainly with a non Rolex dealer, both the wife and myself have Rolex’s but purchased when we lived offshore. When I bought the Rolex’s we were given glasses of champagne and sat browsing for a good hour.
    A couple of years ago my in-laws got burgled, a safe was ripped out of the floor that held a number of high value watches (non Rolex). One of my omegas was in the safe. The insurance company only gave us a voucher to use in a non Rolex shop, gutted as that value would have helped me get a Daytona!

IvanDobski

There’s a couple of new watches from Yema out this week, a modern take on a flieger and a vintage take on a diver. Both look pretty nice, the $700 Flygraf is possibly a bit small for my taste at 39mm but the $1100 Superman has a 39mm or 41mm option.

It looks like the 39mm versions share the same case across both models.

Premier Icon Murray
    Subscriber

Flygraf looks good!

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Lug length is a bit excessive on the Superman. Nice apart from that, and they appear good VFM, always a discount available!.

Got any links to them? Not obvious on the website.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

I like the simplicity of this

IvanDobski

I don’t see them on the Yema site yet but they’re on the various blogs:

Worn & Wound

The lugs are quite long but I don’t think that strap helps, it looks good on a bracelet and presumably a normal thickness rubber dive strap.

Yema are currently doing a 15% discount across their site inc a second strap so def good value.

I like the Yema bezel-lock function, seems a useful idea to stop the bezel getting rotated. I can see why some divers don’t like it, although others do, but for general timing duties it could work really well.

neilnevill

Woodster, will do. Where abouts are you and how far are you willing to go? I use tz-uk and there are often posts about bb58 and other hot watches in Windows, but could be Glasgow to London or elsewhere in the UK.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

If anyone is after a Rolex Kermit then my local jewelers has one in the window. Looks in good condition and the price is not too silly.

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Neil I joined that forum last week, not got access to the SC area yet. I live in the midlands near Milton Keynes, happy to travel to London or probably within 100 miles, Glasgow probably a bit far. Would end up cheaper getting from a grey dealer which I’m trying to avoid.

neilnevill

Cool, it’s a good forum and the access restrictions to sales corner and the heroes and villains posts do add significantly to safe and painless transactions. I bought my Tudor pelagos from a long time member and sold my subC there with no trouble.

Keep an eye on watch talk, that’s where you’ll see PSA type heads up about bb58 or Rolex in ad windows. Also worth a wanted add, you can get to the wanted forum already I think. If I see a sales thread I’ll point the seller at your wtb if I’m quick enough.

neilnevill

Go on lunge, what is the asking price for a Kermit currently?

dakuan

I found another one @woodster, down south though, check your pms

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Thanks to dakuan I am now the proud owner of a BB58. Hope the link works….had to drive down to Eastbourne from Bedfordshire to get it, but very much worth the trip. Thanks again dakuan….I also made sure the shop knew you helped so might help with your Blue, Ashley was the sales chap, saying all their quota of Blues are sold up to Jan. I had a look at one they had in the store awaiting collection, very nice indeed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gj3nt3kF9yj5fhb39

neilnevill

yay!

dakuan

Looks immense! So glad you got it. Looks like i’ll be waiting a year or so for a blue one…they are going for 4k on Chrono24 / Ebay

Premier Icon Bullet
    Subscriber

I know there are references to pilots watches in this thread but any favourites out there? I’m liking the look of Fortis and Steinhart at the moment.

dakuan

Sinn for me

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

Just catching up here, I saw the two new Yema watches above a couple of weeks ago via a Flipboard post, and it’s great to see the company finally bringing out some really nice watches, with good clean lines and a quality in-house movement as well, after years in the tacky fashion-watch wilderness.
    I was very taken with the Navygraf posted up a few pages back, but the price, even with the 15% discount was just a bit rich for me, but then I had a letter from HMRC last week, telling me I’d paid too much tax…
    As my very first watch, bought with my own money was a Yema, and is fifty years old this year, well, I think it would be nice to close the circle, and it’s my birthday this month, so watch (!) this space.

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

pilots watches

Oris ProPilot?

IvanDobski

I really like the Archimede GMT I posted a couple of pages back or the standard pilot with the 6 o’clock date. I actually emailed Archimede this week and got a really helpful reply from one of the company owners within 12hrs.

I’d also be tempted by the Hamilton Khaki Pilot Day Date.

But I’m still massively pleased with my Orient Flight Mk2 which was an absolute bargain. The textured dial looks great in the flesh and the signed NATO isn’t actually green green but a really smart sage colour.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Just One More watch on YouTube did a favorable review on a German made Flieger last week. https://youtu.be/81crNqMO39o

IvanDobski

I’ve seen a few Dekla reviews recently, seem good value and very configurable but the QC can be a bit hit and miss by the look of things – the rivets on the strap in that video are way off and I’ve seen macro photos of the hands which have a very irregular shape.

Edit – watchuseek photo of the hands. From L-R it’s Laco, Stowa, Dekla.

Premier Icon Bullet
    Subscriber

Really like the Orient, particularly seeing the price!

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

the rivets on the strap in that video are way off

True, I noticed that and was surprised Jody didn’t mention it. You would have thought they’d have selected one that was spot on quality wise to send for review.

Premier Icon Bullet
    Subscriber

Going through my dad’s old watches and while I dont think there is anything of real value, just wanted some expertise on here with regard to the mechanical Sekondas and the Regency. Wondered if there was any value in them as restorable/spares? (they still wind and work although no idea about accuracy as yet)

The Casio is an AQ222 and I havn’t tried to put a battery in it so no idea if it works but same question really, is it the sort of thing people are interested in or should I just bin the lot?

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

Some watches here that could make your eyes bleed!
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/10-watches-we-should-forget-about/

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

The top one of those watches would look nice on a new leather strap Bullet if it runs. Trendy retro design with the batton indices. No idea on worth I’m afraid.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,691 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.