• This topic has 8,686 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by Kryton57.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,521 through 2,560 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Kryton57

Love it.  Before Christmas I was in Ernest Jones and tried on a Black Bay bronze – dark bezel – and it looked and felt amazing.

I’d love to own that.

Fudd
    Free Member

There seems to be a bit of love for Speedies on here at the moment. Does anyone have a view on the Speedie Reduced Automatic? I bought one twenty years ago but it hasn’t been worn in the last 6 years since I bought a Rolex GMT 2. Anyway, it’s boxed and with all the papers and original receipt (think I’ve still got that). It needs a service, but what’s the likelihood of being able to move it on? Any idea on price – condition wise I’d say it’s a 7or8out of 10. I’d be very interested to hear people’s thoughts.

They’ve risen from under 1k a few years ago to around 1.5k today so worth selling if you’re not using it.

When you say it needs serviced what’s up with it, running slow/fast or completely dead? It’s basically a two piece movement in these with a standard ETA 2892 and a separate chronograph module so you can service the base movement only and avoid the extra cost of a chronograph service. If the chrono is playing up then it could get expensive as module parts are impossible to find unless you send it to Omega or an Omega accredited watchmaker.

neilnevill
    Free Member

w00dster, they are great watches. I like tudor

gifferkev

Speaking of Tudor, my local goldsmiths has a used previously owned Fastrider Black Shield https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watches/fastrider-black-shield/m42000cr-0001 heavily reduced with box, but no papers. How much of a deal is not having the warranty card going to be?

gifferkev

Hmmm, sketchy as hell it seems. Apparently it’s a new watch that was damaged instore and Tudor won’t repair it and have withdrawn the warranty card. It runs fine though… How the hell do you damage a ceramic case in a shop environment.

w00dster

Gifferkev, are you tempted by it? What damage has been done? Purely cosmetic?
    I’m always tempted by a deal, I’ve only had to warranty one watch, for me I’d probably take the deal if it was reduced enough. I’m guessing it will be sold as seen?
    This pre owned has a warranty card….
    https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Pre+Owned-Tudor-Fastrider-Black-Shield-Mens-Watch-42000CR/p/408019239062/?lsft=utm_content:shopping___adty__pla___prch__online___stco_____prid__408019239062,utm_medium:cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjwxLH3BRApEiwAqX9arahzT6CG7UOXyIf_fq57N85dy_nJSad7TCP3FgbDUPPYm5zmOdEM6hoCLssQAvD_BwE

oldtennisshoes

Just bought a Fortis Spacematic on a whim off eBay.
    I’m quite excited.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fortis-Spacematic-Automatic-Wrist-Watch-40mm/392803713767

neilnevill
    Free Member

ceramic case, easily cracked or chipped if dropped on a hard surface such as a tiled floor. I’ve seen watches (photos) with lugs shattered off. My guess, tudor wont guarantee the case for waterproofness (crack, or damage by a seal such as the crystal seal) and although the movement may be fine its the case damage that stops the guarantee. Tudor hopefully aren’t as bad a s rolex, but rolex these days are being quite difficult and may refuse to service a watch if the client won’t replace a part. I’ve seen a (photo) of a sea dweller rolex refused to service without a case swap as the case has a small dent.

Kato

Nice choice. Spacematic’s are handsome.

gifferkev

I had a quick look at it before i was told it was damaged and there wasn’t anything obviously amiss with it. It’s basically been half priced, but due to neilnevill i’m going to look into it a bit further. Feeling a bit watch flush at the moment, just had my 50th and Mrs Giffer got me a 1970 712 constellation and totally unknown to either of us my Mum got me new deville. you wait 50 years to get an omega and then two show up…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I like simple things. My favourite watch is my Mondaine Swiss Rail face watch.
    So a friend wanted to get me something and wanted to check I liked it.

Oh dear. Still not certain how to reply.

https://www.holzkern.com/en/gareth-zebrawood-zebrawood.html

gifferkev

Oh dear. Still not certain how to reply.

Well, it’s distinctive

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I don’t own any Burberry to go with it.

tthew

I’d start your reply with, ‘That’s a very kind thought and a generous present…..’ take it from there.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

‘That’s a very kind thought and a generous present…..’
    ‘… can’t talk any more, off to stick hot needles in my eyes.’

Same person gave me a set of Park spanners. I think I only have two different size nuts across all my bikes.

neilnevill
    Free Member

@gifferkev. Well two lovely vintage omega! Sweet.

Regarding the Tudor, best to ask what the damage is and get a quote for a Tudor repair I guess. Then you can make an informed decision.

ctk
    Free Member

“I only like metal watches”

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Just bought a Fortis Spacematic on a whim off eBay.
    I’m quite excited.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fortis-Spacematic-Automatic-Wrist-Watch-40mm/392803713767

Nice choice, I’ve got a Flieger Chrono – super nice under rated watches.

Kato

I have dug an old faithful out for Father’s Day. 2003 2541.80.00 Seamaster. First proper watch I ever bought. Irks me that it’s a quartz but it has a certain sentimental value to it so I won’t sell it. Now seems to be worth twice what I paid for it new too…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Pretty classic!

w00dster

I’ve got that watch Kato, bought mine in about 2001. Think I paid about £775 for it, or something similar. I remember there was the same looking watch but with 4 lines of text which was much more expensive, can’t remember too much about the details.
    Was also my first “proper” watch. I did have a Raymond Weil but had a drunken moment and gave it away.

Merak

For a Star Wars flavour.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Nice Kato. I am a bit of an omega fan and love the SMP. I prefer the skeleton hands and wave dial too

oldtennisshoes

I’ve returned the Spacematic – the strap was too narrow for my wrist.
    The search goes on!

nicko74

Merak, how many GW5600s do you have?! 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

For a Star Wars flavour

It looks like they’ve written the complete film script on the watch face.

nicko74

My own GW-M5610BC

Kato

I’ve returned the Spacematic – the strap was too narrow for my wrist.

How Narrow is narrow? That Seagull 1963 I bought is 18mm lug tapering to a 16mm buckle. Wasn’t keen at first but I’ve grown used to it now. I think we have got used to massive watches with wide straps

oldtennisshoes

How Narrow is narrow? I didn’t measure it, but sub 20mm? It just looked strange on my wrist – but then my daily driver is a huge Garmin Fenix 6x Pro. 🤔

derek_starship
    Free Member

Calling Omega gurus.

Can you identify the exact model of Seamaster this is?

BTW – this isn’t a competition. I want to know what it is!

dakuan
    Free Member

Picked this up today 😀

Tudor North Flag

Wally

North Flag – nice. Lovely clean lines and very easy to read.

nicko74

Oooh, nice that! That’s the 80(?) hour power reserve, right? 38mm case? Can you show us more of the bracelet – it looks like an integrated number

dakuan
    Free Member

70 hrs (movement is same design as new rolexes), 40mm case – its hefty but not as chunky as the Black Bay (excluding the 58). Sure, ill take some more pics, anything in particular you wanted a closer look at?

nicko74

Ah, yknow, just being nosey! Does it have a display back? I’m intrigued by the way the case goes over the corner towards the bracelet – does the whole case have that shape, or is it just the thickness of the case with an edge (rather than the gradual curve to the bracelet many watches have)?

NS
    Free Member

What’s people’s thoughts on the Tudor Black Bay 58? I’m thinking of the brown leather strap. I’ve got a fair few watches but nothing similar to the Tudor. I really like and am very tempted, but I’m also being drawn to some others. Won’t be buying until the end of summer (birthday).

Get on W00dster they are really great watches.
    Had my BB58 for a year now & still love how versatile it is – I would recommend getting it on the bracelet.
    I removed the bracelet & put mine on a great looking leather strap when I first got the watch – loved it for a few months, but fancied a change & put the bracelet back on.
    No contest the bracelet is staying put, it suits the watch so well & i’ve never really been a fan of bracelets.
    BB58 Leather

dakuan
    Free Member

Ah, yknow, just being nosey! Does it have a display back? I’m intrigued by the way the case goes over the corner towards the bracelet – does the whole case have that shape, or is it just the thickness of the case with an edge (rather than the gradual curve to the bracelet many watches have)?

Does indeed have a display back, unusually for a Tudor! Theres plenty of edges too, thats for sure. heres some more pics of the lugs and bracelet:

View post on imgur.com

dakuan
    Free Member

Yeah the BB58 is awesome, down my way theres a long waiting list for them (on the bracelet anyway). If you ask you get ‘Daytona Face’ mostly

cromolyolly
    Free Member

@derek_starship

Can’t help you with that model, although it does look familiar.

What I can tell you is that according to a sadly no longer with us watchmaker I knew, a lot of the square or tank watches weren’t made mpby omega in Switzerland. Apparently, hey would supply movements to casemakers in the US or UK and other places and let the casemakers do everting else. Which complicates identifying square watches. It might only have been made in one country.

Best guess is either a Geneve or Constellation. Although the bracelet I’ve never seen before

neilnevill
    Free Member

The integrated bracelet look of the omega would fit with a constellation.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,521 through 2,560 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.