Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • IvanDobski
    Free Member

I hate them, all of them. There’s not a single one I’d have thrown at me let alone buy. It’s like they deliberately go out of their way to lose any degree of legibility they may have had before they started chucking on extra dial “features“.

They’re the horological equivalent of an astra with a shit body kit.

God that felt good.

Anyway, let’s just say they’re not my cup of tea but some people like them.

lunge

They’re the horological equivalent of an astra with a shit body kit.

😂😂😂😂 tell us what you really think Ivan!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Tbh I couldn’t tell you anything about the actual quality or movements or anything – I just can’t get beyond the dials to the extent I just get really annoyed!

tthew

🤣 Brilliant!
    You loose a couple of points for the lack of spelling mistakes, random punctuation and CAPTIAL LETTERS but pull one back for humor at the end.

Anyhow Seiko fans, (I won’t risk asking for IvanDobski’s opinion) you might like these socks.

Kato

No way would I pick a Navitimer over a Speedy. They are massive and you can barely read the time on them. Just something I don’t like about the brand and I can’t put my finger on it.

w00dster

I like Breitling, but that Navtimer does have too much going on. I’ve got a https://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/0118086/Breitling-Superocean-Automatic-44-Mens-Watch/p
    but I’ve put it on a leather Breitling strap.
    Already had a couple of rubber strap watches(or that style), so thought I’d change it for leather.
    I’m also not a fan of the Speedie, I prefer a nice clean watch face….even though I’ve got two Chronographs which are far to busy, I have to wear one of them quite a bit as it was a present from the wife.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Breitlings have been a bit **** horologically, although i think of the navitimer as a standout, it is THE pilots watch…well…its a classic and one that many non-watch fanatics still know of. it does wear huge though, like a dinner plate.

can I just say….Sinn. also (now I may spell this wrongly) Olach and Wahls

Kato

I have a big wrist and like a big watch but this is my brother’s Navitimer on me and it’s massive.

plyphon
    Free Member

Also not a huge fan of Breitling, but this heritage limited edition is passable:

If you’re struggling with visualising owning a Speedy, try picturing it on a rugged leather strap from Bulang & Sons or similar. They look best on a rugged strap rather than the bracelet or shiny leather crocodile strap that Omega sell them on.

lunge

The size think of the Navitimer is fair, though the one I have in mind is the new, 40mm version.
    The legibility thing is fair though, worth bearing in mind.

Bullet
    Wally

Oris are releasing something Monday that looks a bit funky Retro, but it’s very hard to see from press release. Could be dire.

CountZero

Liking Merak’s Seiko 5 field watch, very clean and legible.
    Like a number of others, the Breitling Navitimer is something of a classic, but I need my reading glasses on to see to use it, and I’d struggle to understand how to use it in the first place! That level of complexity is more easily handled with a smartphone these days anyway, and I just couldn’t wear something that big on my skinny little wrist! I can barely get away with a Tuna.

ctk
    Free Member

I quite fancy an older Japanese diver but they’ve all been blummin modded!

+ 1 for Meraks new Seiko 5 – lovely watch

derek_starship
    Free Member

I do like Merak’s field green S5 but for me, this grey version takes it.

There’s something “stealth glass” about it. Whatever that means.

kilo

The minute hand on my Magrette has come loose and just spins around, just after they’d sent it back from a service, and hours after I’d ordered a new Zulu strap from them. Parcel from New Zealand yesterday, the new orange strap and a new watch!

New watch day

gary

As there’s a bit of Seiko love going on, here’s a little lockdown treat that arrived this week. Planet Ocean homage from MadModWorld, inspired by an eBay link that got posted here a lot of pages back.

liam1974

That new grey Seiko 5 is lovely.

beanum

@kilo The minute hand on my Magrette came loose after I dropped it onto a hard floor (luckily it was in a bag and suffered no other damage)
    My local watch repairer was able to fix it…

frankconway

I have a Breitling Transocean like this one – plain and simple.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/meSVVNnLR2oZbQ2F7
    Bought it with leather strap but when that began to rot, replaced it with a bracelet exactly as in the image.
    Most Breitings are too ‘busy’ for my liking.
    Having said that, I do like FOIS Speedie up there ^^^

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ok does anybody have any experience of strap code bracelets, or specifically their divers ratchet wetsuit extension clasp?

I had to take my sumo off its as bracelet as the clasp got uncomfortable. The rest of the bracelet is pretty good but the clasp is long, partly because the divers extension sticks out the end/is tagged on the end and basically isn’t flexible/articulated like a link, so clasp plus extension is a very long rigid piece and if I was being active it started too stick into my wrist painfully. Other than the clasp the bracelet seems decent so I’ve been searching for a decent clasp to fit to it that is shorter, expecting to put one link back in as I swap the clasp. The strapcode bracelets look very good and the ratchet extension a great piece of work (it’s similar to the omega adjustable clasp, or the Rolex glidelock, and has 5 positions with 1cm total extension). I’d considered a Chinese copy glidelock but can’t find one to fit the sumo bracelet as the male/female or centre/outside bits of the oyster are the other way around for Rolex and Rolex fake glidelock clasps than the sumo and they are I think 16mm wide not 18mm, so the strap code, which connects to the bracelet around the outer parts seems the only decent option. It’s normally not cheap, Amazon have it do so for £65. However assume hunting with Google and I’m sure I’ve found it at Swiss watch company for $35 with free world wide shipping, by chance the version they have seems to be the correct with for my sumo. So I’m about to hit buy, but before I do I thought I’d ask, anybody got experience with strap code stuff? Is it worth the money?

Blimey, that was more long winded than I expected!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Lunge, re smaller navitimers, they used to do one called, iirc, the montblanc, which was smaller. Iirc it had a different hand set and some other visual differences but was still clearly a ‘navitimer’. Can’t recall is size but was smaller than the normal version. No idea if that’s still made.

kilo

@beanum

Cheers for that, I plan to drop it in to the place in town I use for repairs and servicing when I get a chance, could end up with a spare!

I’ve a brietling automatic, had it about twenty years now. A watch dealer I was dealing with said their problem was they had too many models and changed the styles too often so this churn hit their values.
    The upside is mine was half price in a sale as last years model. It’s been fairly bullet proof over the years and always been accurate, also has a nice bit of weight to it. On a heirs house leather strap with the original clasps now.

Blue watch

kilo

“a heirs house” in the post above should be a Hirsch, good quality leather straps.

Merak

Yobokies Seiko 5

beanum

I guess this is the new Oris that Wally referred to above… ^

Oris Bronze

Oris – A Blog to Watch

Kamakazie

Navitimers are about the only Breitling I like.
    Only some of them though, and I hadn’t realised just how big they wear so maybe not for me!

That Oris is nice, they’ve released some good looking watches of late.

@Merak – looking the green 5, it’s on my list. I do like the grey, but feel that the 5 should be green for some reason.

One of my G-Shocks while o I’ve got your attention, as no one else on here has much love for them 😂 I do like the squares too

Mtg-B1000

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jcz94x]2020-06-16_08-54-14[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Kryton57

Christ!  That’s like a smack in the face with a wet metal fish.

With its uglier brother the mudmaster….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jcxJkM]2020-06-16_08-50-00[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Mido, who are one of those brands I think are really underrated, have got a new Ocean Star with a GMT function coming soon which is quite tempting.

The question is though, that or the Archimede Pilot GMT?

ebikegum

There seems to be a bit of love for Speedies on here at the moment. Does anyone have a view on the Speedie Reduced Automatic? I bought one twenty years ago but it hasn’t been worn in the last 6 years since I bought a Rolex GMT 2. Anyway, it’s boxed and with all the papers and original receipt (think I’ve still got that). It needs a service, but what’s the likelihood of being able to move it on? Any idea on price – condition wise I’d say it’s a 7or8out of 10. I’d be very interested to hear people’s thoughts.

Kato

@neilnevill

I had a Strapcode Super Oyster on my SKX and it was excellent. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. It didn’t have a diver’s extension though so can’t comment on that

neilnevill
    Free Member

thanks Karo. I hit buy, worked out at £29.20 I got a lot of generally positive comments on z-uk so I’m confident it will be worth the money.

tthew

There seems to be a bit of love for Speedies on here at the moment. Does anyone have a view on the Speedie Reduced Automatic?

I’m sure you’ll appreciate my hesitancy to trawl back through 63 pages of this thread, but there was some discussion about someone trying to sell one, early doors I think. Less value than the full size version IIRC. If you’ve not worn it in 6 years, there’s only one obvious answer isn’t there? Sell it on and buy a new bike with the proceeds!

(pictures might help).

@IvanDobski
    – the dive style one definitely. Not keen on the proportions of the field watch design.

w00dster

Ebikegum, this may give you an idea….
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/speedmaster-reduced-steel–mod72-cm4.htm#gref

Edit… link didn’t work. Google Omega Speedmaster Reduced and then look at the link for Chrono24

ebikegum

tthew – I’m shocked by your lack of commitment 😊😊. It was probably an earlier by me that you recall. Still got the watch in a drawer and its a shame that its not being worn by me or by some else who fancies it. Need to get my arse into gear and deal with it.

tthew

tthew – I’m shocked by your lack of commitment 😊😊. It was probably an earlier by me that you recall.

Frankly, I’m shocked by my memory! Generally I can’t remember what day of the week it is.😁

w00dster

What’s people’s thoughts on the Tudor Black Bay 58? I’m thinking of the brown leather strap. I’ve got a fair few watches but nothing similar to the Tudor. I really like and am very tempted, but I’m also being drawn to some others. Won’t be buying until the end of summer (birthday).

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/2246724/tudor+black+bay+58+men%27s+diver+brown+leather+strap+watch/

Bullet

Nice! Also loving the Archimede – never even heard of them before now.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,481 through 2,520 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.