Viewing 40 posts - 2,441 through 2,480 (of 8,673 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Kryton57

Your Tag is this watch. I like the silver face.

Thanks, yet without a back story.

Anyway, that prompted me to look at the movement in my Seagull powered Watch to see if its the same, which I believe it is:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j7QBxF]20200601_162559[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ihW2Ja]2020-01-21_11-13-08[/url]

but it’s a hand wound column wheel chronograph for under £250 new.

I keep forgetting this, which is an important reason to keep this watch.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Stuck between 2 watches….

Undone

or the Marloe Coniston speed edition

Marloe

I think I prefer the look of the Marloe but think I may miss the date….plus it’s a bit over budget and I can get cashback in the Undone…

oldtennisshoes

Customising the undone makes it unique. The Marloes look nice though.

CountZero

Love the photo sequence of the movement teardown, really interesting to read through, and be able to zoom the photos, fascinating stuff, thank you.

similar to what Poljot did when they bought the Valjoux 773x tooling and made the 3133.

Not familiar with Poljot at all, I’ll have to look them up, the Valjoux 773X of course I know, I’m wearing one right now!

I think I prefer the look of the Marloe but think I may miss the date….plus it’s a bit over budget and I can get cashback in the Undone…

I like the Undone, not quite sure about the blank bezel, but agree about the date, surprising how many times I refer to the date on my watch when I’m at work, wearing the Yema without a date while on furlough is fine, I just can’t be arsed with dates and stuff!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I was all set to buy and Undone until I seen the Marloe, I’m not too fussed by date as my current work watch doesn’t have one and I’m not working anywhere I need to record the date. My last job it was a bit essential but I could wear my smart watch there. TBF we’ve got the time displayed on a couple of walls so don’t really need a watch, just feel a bit naked without one….

I prefer the design of the Marlow but the Undone has an automatic movement over a handwind.

My HMT is fine.. just keeps stopping…. plus need a bit of retail therapy….

Well the wife doesn’t like either…. she thinks the Undone looks like a kids watch.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Just incase anyone is interested in the Marloe they offer a 15% NHS/Forces (I assume bluelight as well) discount.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Question is now do I prefer he speed edition or the blue dial…

Blue

failedengineer

Just a quick recommendation for Chris Heal watch servicing – my automatic watch (ETA movement) serviced and pressure tested for £80, returned in less than a week.

neilnevill
    Free Member

very good servce there! thanks for the recommendation

Fudd
    Free Member

Just a quick recommendation for Chris Heal watch servicing – my automatic watch (ETA movement) serviced and pressure tested for £80, returned in less than a week.

Glad to hear you had a positive experience but one has to question why so quick and why so cheap? There’s a good four or five hours work there if done properly which must be close to minimum wage once overheads and tax are taken into account, and most watchmakers with decent rep will be quoting in months for turnaround rather than days.

Googling Chealwatch makes for interesting reading, such as this thread on TZUK. It seems he’s sub contracting some work these days so luck of the draw I suppose.

Merak

😀

failedengineer

@Fudd – oops, I didn’t do enough research, obviously. I could have sworn that I’ve seen recommendations for him, though. Anyway, watch seems OK (touch wood). I thought about using Timpsons, but thought that a ‘proper’ watch repairer would be safer. I take your point on the price.

Murray

Fascinating inhouse Austrian watches. The second presentation to the NY Horological Society on how to build your own inhouse movement is highly recommended.

derek_starship
    Free Member

@Merak

I have the same watch:

Is the inverted display a different model version or can the display be dark or light background? I haven’t seen any mention of toggling between the two so I assume yours is different.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Anyone know much about Seiko Kinetics? My daughter helpfully dropped (threw) mine down the stairs last week and it landed on a wooden floor. Still keeps time if I’m wearing it and moving but doesn’t seem to hold charge and will stop/get stuck if I don’t move much.

Given it was only from Creation, I’m not sure getting is repaired is financially viable.

Bullet

I know they have a capacitor inside that the pendulum charges when it moves. Sounds like the connection is broken or the pendulum has got stuck/detached? If the capacitor is old it won’t hold charge either. I’ve got a kinetic GMT divers and you can hear the pendulum move when you swing it (as you should according to the instructions)

Merak

@derek_starship

Mine is the GMW-B5000-1 it came with a really comfy resin band, I bought and fitted the Casio bracelet afterwards.

I prefer the negative display. I’ve got a GW-M5610BC which I’m very fond of so wanted a full metal negative display version.

I really want the gold one..😬

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I don’t think you can re-configure an LCD display from positive to negative display; I think it’s a manufacturing thing.

Merak

Aforementioned GW-M5610BC

I’m also currently modding a GW-M5610-1BER. Got some bits hopefully coming from Poland for it.

Kryton57

Talking of Seiko Kinetics, we had a garage clearout during lockdown and I found this in the bottom of a box:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jagMFi]20200609_145512[/url]

Still works!

tthew

Wow – that’s retro!

mrmoofo

Having real issue with getting delivery from Heimdallr in China. Claim to have sent the watch out, then claim that China post would take it. Trying to get some sort of communication but the “shister detector” is going off.

cookeaa

I don’t think you can re-configure an LCD display from positive to negative display; I think it’s a manufacturing thing.

You can, there’s YT videos galore of people doing just that to G-shocks and F-91s, you just need to change a polarising filter on the front of the LCD…

I’m tempted to do it to my GW-B5600 as I’ve come to the conclusion that Negative displays are a bit less functionally useful (IMO).

CountZero

@mrmoofo – Heimdallr are usually pretty good, I’ve got two of their watches, there was one issue where I ordered a watch, then the order got cancelled, but only because the EU version sold out literally as I put my order in, and China had none at that time, so I ordered a different model. I later ordered the one I was originally after once more stock came in.
    Might be worth checking with them on their Facebook page.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I know there’s a lot of Speedie love here, so if anyone is interested in a FOIS that’s a couple of months old and being offered at £2750 let me know and I’ll pass on details. It’s not mine btw. Oddly I’m indifferent to speedies…. Otherwise I’d be trying to hold myself back.

Kryton57

I’d love to have said yes, unfortunate Mrs K has just been put “at risk”…. sigh

gifferkev

FOIS?

cb200
    Free Member

☝️First Omega in Space

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/first-omega-in-space/product

Omega can’t claim to have had the first watch in space, but got the first watch on the moon.

Merak

😋

stevemorg2

neilneville – could you pass on some details please?

johnners
    Free Member

I like the look of that SRPE65^, the field watch style case and dive face work surprisingly well together. Plus it’s green, which is always nice. I see it seems to have the expected Seiko price hike compared to the broadly similar SNZG of the previous gen 5s though!

tthew

That’s the newest version of the Seiko 5 just released is it?? Looks better in that photo than the publicity shots I’ve seen on the internet. Nice.

johnners
    Free Member

Looks better in that photo than the publicity shots I’ve seen on the internet

Yes, it’s a better shot than anything Seiko’s managed!

Merak

Yeah I sold my Alkin One to fund it. Never really loved it, too big and heavy.

I had a Hamilton Field for a day or two. For nearly £700 I was distinctly underwhelmed.

I’ve got a Yobokies Seiko 5 which I’m fond of so I knew I’d be happy with this..

nicko74

As someone else has pointed out, you actually can. I did it as a 12 year old on an old casio calculator – there’s a thin sheet of plastic in front of the display that you turn over. And really, Casio calculators and G-shocks are basically the same thing, right?

Aforementioned GW-M5610BC

Nice, Merak. I have the same one (bracelet rather than strap) that seems to be having difficulty charging these days

derek_starship
    Free Member

@Merak – I like that green S5.

Pierre

@Merak, that’s lovely! I like it a lot.

and also, from my time a _very_ long time ago taking apart a near-indestructible old Casio digital watch circa 1987 (to make X-ray photographs IIRC!), to turn a dark-on-light digital display into a light-on-dark display, just turn the polariser sheet over 180 degrees, i.e. peel a very thin layer off the screen somewhere and turn it over. It was very simple, in my 10-year-old boy’s brain!

hugo
    Free Member

The Seiko kinetics have a little rechargeable battery that has a service life like any other. They call it a “capacitor” but it’s not really.

Good news is you can get them pretty cheap on ebay and either self install (they can be a bit tricky sometimes I understand) or have someone else do it. Luckily, where I live a street stall did mine for 2 quid.

Or, you could have kippered it!

lunge

What do we reckon to Breitling’s, specifically Navitimers?
    It’s a rather significant birthday coming up and have a hankering for a new watch. My first instinct was a Speedy but I’ve tried a few on and I think I like them more in pictures than on my wrist.
    I’ve always liked the look of Navitimers, they’re a a price that is doable and they’re pretty distinct.
    Thoughts?

Viewing 40 posts - 2,441 through 2,480 (of 8,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.