Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,412 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Whoops, missed this and posted the rubbish Rolex pic twice….

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dmrqpYojci4WD5Cx8

plyphon

plyphon, thought that was your pic at first. Was going to comment on the Patek…

One day if im lucky! Currently on the Rolex and Omega level..!

dakuan

One day if im lucky! Currently on the Rolex and Omega level..!

Sounds like you are already pretty lucky to me 😀

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Thats odd, I swear I posted this, but anyway….

Whats the view on Tag Formula 1’s?   A budget “posh” watch for a Brand name?   Seems an expensive and not exclusive Quartz…

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Kryton, watches are so personal. If you like the watch then go for it.
    My wife hates my Panerai, I like it. She loves my Bell & Ross, I’m not a fan.
    I’m not into Tag watches, but mainly because I remember all the cheap fakes back in the 1990’s.
    I like the Blue and Orange colours on the formula 1. It’s a decent price, but yeah it’s a quartz. I like the waz 1010 with the technical strap, can be had for a very good price.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Its not for me, I’m just having a debate about it…

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

I’d say there are better watches to be had for the price, but a lot of watch like/lust comes from what your opinion or cachet of the brand is.
    Because of the cheap nasty Tags when I was younger I’ve never lusted for one. The watches I’d say are nicer watches for the price, Longine Hydroconquest, Oris Aquis Date Rubber, Hamilton or even a Seiko Pressage.
    I know absolutely nothing about watch movements, or what makes one watch better than another, and more specifically why a watch is worth £10k and is less accurate than one worth £200. I just buy what I personally like.

irc

Well my Seiko watch buy from Amazon worked out well. Arrived two days later. I eagerly opened the packaging to find the presentation box. Opened the box to find ……. an instruction manual and no watch! Two phone calls to Amazon later I have a refund. Declined a replacement as knowing my lyck I would get another empty box. So still looking.

neilnevill

Ooo Woodster,can we have a photo of the Fiddy please? I never really like Pams but have over th last 6 months really started to hanker for a fiddy…something like a 372 but also like 172, 176, 375 and 605….need to do research and narrow that list down! I’s like a 47mm case but need to try one on, my wrists might not manage more than 44…even that might be a struggle although my sumo at 45mm is fine.

mmcd

Bought the Blue and Black F1 as a cover as I had a lonfer term plan to buy a GMT Master Batman. So far the Mrs hadn’t noticed the swap out. Really liked the F1 though and would still be happily wearing it had the opportunity to buy the GMT Master not appeared.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Been a bit quiet on here of late. Have a classic reissue that you can ponder buying mail order for delivery by a key worker.
    James Bond watch.

Premier Icon brads
    Subscriber

Bought a quartz Tag F1 as a stand in while my watch was away for service.

Haven’t taken it off yet. Really clear, tough watch that I actually quite like.

Rubber strap is gash though, but that’s just a me thing.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Mine has come back from a service, but is now hostage in the jewellers as I didn’t collect it before the closures. Div.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Inspired by all the Seiko’s on this thread, this was reduced to £200 and thought I’d give it a whirl. Its a Solar Tuna type homage in Save the Ocean flavour. Came with a black shroud which actually did not look as bad as I expected and felt really light to wear. I swapped over to a stainless imported shroud, as I though it would look more like my idea of a proper watch (and it probably does).

Moved on my Garmin Fenix 3. Also have a 22 year old Omega Seamaster but it loses too much time and I cant quite reconcile spending £400+ on a service.

STO

STO2

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

My magrette came back from warranty repair in New Zealand a week or so ago. Been wearing it pretty much 24/7 since then. Good service from Dion at magrette, offered to pay my postage and chucked a blue NATO strap in with the watch

Lock down in the sun

Just waiting on the dial arriving so I can finish this. Hands and movement are good to go.

neilnevill

Djflex,
    You should be able to get an ETA seamaster fully serviced by a really good independent for half the omega cost.
    Ido like seamasters.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

I’ll make myself do it one day – think I bookmarked one or two threads listing independents in the past.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Ok so I could have a Pepsi Seiko Prospex Solar or a Spinnaker Tesei Ti, Auto, Ceramic Sapphire SKX homage  for the same cost as a beater…  which?

Not seen the Spinnaker in the flesh, but a Ti watch is nice and light on the wrist. My preference is SKX though.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Here it is:

@Kryton57 that’s nice 👍🏼

Premier Icon Kato
    Subscriber

Is it my eyes or are the 1,2,3,4 and 5 on the bezel all pissed?

Premier Icon Kato
    Subscriber

Look at the 2 from 1m22s in

Premier Icon lightfighter762
    Subscriber

Rose Gold Royal Oak. I’m saving up. I have a few steel Ap’s

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Yeah that put me off, although for the intended use it’s not really an issue.   I’m having a really big psycho problem with my watches in that I take care of them too much, and mentally categorise for an intended purpose.   My shiny Aquaracer and Prospex I cant stand to wear with anything other than a suit / posh, my Seiko 5 now on an oyster is kinda not so posh office wear, the Alpha Daytona  seems to be in limbo, and my Garmin instinct awaits a time I’m camping for bike away days/race events.   I’ve move the Bond NATO onto my Seiko military (SNDA57) as a beater but as the battery was changed without the sealing process it annoys me to have to take it off for showers/can’t be on in a pool.

Then there’s the Rose Gold G Steel  G-200.  Good watch yet pretentious, should have bought the normal metal one.

I’m not even sure what I’m looking for anymore!

ross980

I really like that Spinnaker Tessei – I’ve had my eye on it since before Christmas. If it would have been that price then I might have bought it, but at full price (or just standard % off) it was more then I wanted to spend.

On an unrelated note. When did the retro metal G Shock become so bloody expensive??? (I’ve have the plastic version of this for years and it’s great, but £450+ for a metal case??!! Wow!)
    https://g-shock.co.uk/full-metal

johnners

Yeah that put me off, although for the intended use it’s not really an issue.

There’s no intended use that makes shoddy QC acceptable, IMO anyway. It may be down to camera angles and lens to a degree but I’d really want to see one in the flesh before buying. Spinnaker’s a big and well established outfit and should be doing better. Mind you, you could say the same about Seiko…

I’m not even sure what I’m looking for anymore!

I definitely got that impression from your very disparate shortlist! Maybe picking something up second hand would help with being so precious about your watches you can’t enjoy them? And TBH as long as your SNDA57 still has its case back seal it’s almost certainly still good for pool and shower use, or you could open it and give it a smear of silicone grease round the rubber if you’re really paranoid.

johnners

When did the retro metal G Shock become so bloody expensive??? (I’ve have the plastic version of this for years and it’s great, but £450+ for a metal case??!! Wow!)

It’s always been expensive. If you fancy giving the look a try and you’ve got one of the compatible plastic versions you can put yours in metal fancy dress for about £20 (case only, the matching strap’s quite a bit more). Jody from JOMW has a video on YouTube of him doing it which is quite good fun.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

@ross980 they are currently selling them of for $299 / £250 on their own site.

I definitely got that impression from your very disparate shortlist!

Don’t get me wrong I do like my watches, but as an naturally indecisive person having that many causes an issue.   I’m very reluctant to buy another watch until I feel emotional link to it TBH.  I’ve have been watching second hand Omega Seamasters, which may be my next move given time.

but £450

I paid £310, for this one: https://g-shock.co.uk/gst-b200g-2aer .  It does actually look better in the flesh, and other than the non Sapphire Crystal is everything you need for a tool watch.

Premier Icon tall_martin
    Subscriber

I thought I’d share the latest addition to the house.

This one was a gift for my (2 month old) son. I don’t think he will apreciate it yet, but its a lovely thing to have passed down.

Its his great, great, great Grandfather’s watch from 1917.

null

My Uncle had it serviced before passing it on so we have pressed it onto service as a mantelpiece clock. Its out by about a min a day, seems pretty awesome and as it needs winding about once every day its not a hassle to sort it.

It came with the very game of thrones chair which is a bit over the top, but I might clean it up and sort it as it seems part of the gift.

null

I thought a 100 year old silver watch would be worth loads, turns out these were made by the truck load and the value is almost all sentimental : )

History of Waltham watches

null

null

It also came with a photo copy of a photo of the original owner. The original is in Canada with a very distant relation.

null

Any other heirlooms out there you would care to share?

Premier Icon FB-ATB
    Subscriber

Spoke to a friend today who has a relation that works for Watchfinder – they’re massively busy with sales at the moment!

neilnevill

Kryton, I understand the over babying a watch but get a grip lad, just as with a bike or car or anything, the fear of damage shouldn’t spoil your enjoyment. As a lefty I hit my watch on things a bit more as I’m reaching into cupboards with my left and so on, so none of my watches are pristine, although that said I’m not an abuser of any kit. I don’t like a scratch or dink, but it has never stopped me wearing one of my watches.

Oh and the Seiko Sumo (probably all prospex) is made with some propriety steel or treatment that is supposedly harder and resistant to scratches. I read that and thought, ‘twoddle’ but having worn the sumo a great deal on the last few months the clasp has picked up less desk diver marks than I might have expected so maybe there is something in it.

Premier Icon modchop
    Subscriber

Here’s two I had a love/hate relationship with.
    My original Seiko diver was a quartz and I never had any issues with it at even after years of abuse (I don’t have any photos of it unfortunately) and loved it until I finally lost it.
    This auto version went back to Seiko numerous times for faults, losing time, randomly gaining hours etc. The chrono also stopped working and nobody seemed able to revive it and the chrono has a total mind of it own.

https://www.instagram.com/p/4JZTH1NaiG/?igshid=l95qx9ma3vfh

Premier Icon edd
    Subscriber

I’ve just bought this, a Swatch Sistem51 Hodinkee Generation 1986:

null

Can’t wait for it to arrive.

More details here:
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/blogs/journal/swatch-sistem51-hodinkee-generation-1986

johnners

I understand the over babying a watch but get a grip lad, just as with a bike or car or anything, the fear of damage shouldn’t spoil your enjoyment

Totally. There’ll always be a bit of a wince when you inadvertently bang a watch on something (unless you’re a complete psychopath) but in the end it’s what happens to it as you live your life that makes a watch yours. To help with your mindset you could buy a cheapie second hand and maybe you’ll be more able to relax about it. Or buy something in bronze or brass – they’re not even supposed to look pristine. I’ve picked up a few scratches to the bezel of my Northstar – they’re bright for a couple of days then they just fade into the patina.

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

Liking that titanium Spinnaker withe black textured dial and blue bezel, so much my style of watch. I think the apparent misalignment of markers may just be a parallax issue with the close-up photos.
    @djflexure – liking the Seiko with the steel shroud, very smart looking, that.
    My Heimdallr SKX/MM300 homage is currently wearing a plastic Dragonshroud, which I originally bought for the real SKX700, and which fits the Heimdallr perfectly, which tend to indicate that the shape and dimensions are pretty much identical to the original watch.
    It’s bulkier than a steel one, but weighs nothing, and is easily slipped off if it’s not needed.
    I put it on to wear the watch to work for a change, for some protection, and I’m still wearing it every day three weeks later.

Fudd

modchop
    Subscriber
    Here’s two I had a love/hate relationship with.
    My original Seiko diver was a quartz and I never had any issues with it at even after years of abuse (I don’t have any photos of it unfortunately) and loved it until I finally lost it.
    This auto version went back to Seiko numerous times for faults, losing time, randomly gaining hours etc. The chrono also stopped working and nobody seemed able to revive it and the chrono has a total mind of it own.

https://www.instagram.com/p/4JZTH1NaiG/?igshid=l95qx9ma3vfh

Two nice watches and getting quite collectable these days. Shame they played up and you got rid.

The quartz one is a civilian version of the RAF Gen 2. Issued ones with the P on the dial are the most sought after, but the civvy versions are still collectable in their own right.

The SKX diver ‘Black Bullet’ might actually have been bought by myself as I had one about four years ago and I do like a fixer-upper at the right price. This model was only sold for a couple of years around 2007-ish and they were priced below the SKX007/9. This was around the time the modding scene was exploding so many got butchered and all original ones are quite rare these days. The one I had came with the original bracelet and I think it sold for £250 when at the time a new SKX007 from Creation was less than half that. The same watch is probably over £400 now.

Premier Icon modchop
    Subscriber

Cheers for the info, my mate has the issued gen 2 watch with the ‘P’ lovely looking watch but mine was an absolute PITA in the reliability stakes.
    I recently got the Pulsar homage to the pilots watch, it’s ok but not as nice looking as the Seiko but hopefully it’ll prove more reliable.

Pulsar

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

I’m pretty sure I’ve got one of those Pulsars sitting unused in my bedside drawer. It won’t be in brilliant condition, but if anyone wants it for some beer tokens to charity, shout up and I’ll root it out.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,412 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.