Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

Yep Rolex continues to be weird. Umm surprised a spend history like that doesn’t get a watch though, I thought explorersc were still available after a shortish wait. Of dear

Kryton57

@countzero did it come with that text or did you specify it? And how quick was the delivery time?

brads
    Free Member

Johnners

Yeh sorry about that , that made me sound like a right ****.
    The Alpinist is not a cheap watch really, but is amazing value when you hold it up against watches over 10 times the price.

jamiep
    Free Member

Dear watch experts, does anyone have views/own the
    q timex reissue? I appreciate that this is more budget than most discussed here.

I know nothing about anything but what I can gather it is probably overpriced / underspeced. However, it just speaks to me, which I guess is a good reason to own one.

The only other I know of that is budget and is broadly similar-ish is a
    Seiko SKX009K2 but 42mm is probably too big for my 40mm max child-sized wrist

Or maybe I should get a Vostok Amphibia and tinker with that for fun. Maybe that is a separate question.

tthew

I quite like the Timex, and to be frank it’s a more individual choice than an SKX. You could get an Amphibia too, second hand ones are buttons on eBay.

johnners
    Free Member

Johnners

Yeh sorry about that , that made me sound like a right ****.

Not at all brads, I should have included a smiley to make my post a little less forlorn sounding! The SARB017 is a nice watch for sure, but tbh I’d prefer it without the second crown unbalancing the look. After all, it’s not as if the manual compass bezel is a genuinely useful feature, it just adds the illusion of precision to a pretty rough and ready way of finding North.

does anyone have views/own the
    q timex reissue?

I like it, it’s got a real 70s vibe to it but I’d say you’re right about it maybe being overpriced and underspecced. There’s nothing quite like it though and if it still speaks to you even knowing it’s not big on absolute value then I say crack on.

lunge

Dear watch experts, does anyone have views/own the q timex reissue?

I have to say, it’s not my cup of tea but that’s more on how it looks than any spec or value issues. For me, the SKX is a much better spec and a better looking watch, but the latter is clearly personal preference.

jamiep
    Free Member

The Seiko is much better and nicer but it is too big for me. I still think the Timex is overpriced. So I’ve just ordered a Vostok Amphibian Scuba Dude for £50 for a laugh and a bit of 1970’s-esk uglyness

tthew

Don’t diss the Vostocks jamiep, my Komandirskie has been doing stirling service as a daily beater while the Seiko is broken! 😁

Dasvidaniya.

ElShalimo

My Citizen Eco-drive diver is playing up. It’s just under a year old.

Has anyone got any happy stories dealing with Citizen customer services?

Fudd
    Free Member

I treated the Speedmaster to a new bracelet today –

It’s an 1173 with 633 end links as fitted to Speedmaster’s from the early 70’s but still produced today. It certainly feels like a product from the early 70’s with folded end and centre links so pretty lightweight and plenty of jangle, but much more comfortable than the chunky modern offering which I couldn’t get on with.

nicko74

Where did you get the bracelet Fudd? I’m considering something for my Aqua Terra (the clasp on the original AT is flimsy and pretty shonky), but didn’t know where to look

Fudd
    Free Member

My local Omega AD. It probably helps if you’re wearing the watch you want the new bracelet for when enquiring.

CountZero

@countzero did it come with that text or did you specify it? And how quick was the delivery time?

Hi, I ordered it on the 11th, it was delivered on Monday morning, so sixteen days, which isn’t bad from China.
    The engraving on the case-back is standard, my Tuna has the same engraving.
    Both my new nylon straps arrived today, the seatbelt weave one is still a bit too thick to fit through the space on the MM300, the WatchGecko Vintage Bond fits perfectly, the Seatbelt one goes really well with the Tuna, looks better than the orange Diver ZULU that I’d fitted, but that was only because I don’t like the rubber strap supplied, and it was the only 22mm nylon strap I had available.
    I’ll take a couple of photos later.

Seiko SARB 017

Couldn’t think what that was like, so just did a quick image search. That’s a really stylish watch, smart enough to be a dress watch, while still ‘sporty’.
    The hands are lovely. Honestly, I’d take one of those over a Rolex any day.

cookeaa

Dear watch experts, does anyone have views/own the q timex reissue?

They’re doing what lots of mainstream watch manufacturers with a bit of a history are doing these days and playing on people’s nostalgia for their old products, I have to say I quite like the idea, and if you’re not a quartz snob they’re quite a practical choice. I do think the reissues are a tad pricey for what they are, but it simply prompted me to go looking for the originals, which can still be found in running condition for more affordable prices…

If it appeals and you can afford it, how can it possibly be wrong?

neilnevill
    Free Member

On the subject of Seiko, I’ve realised my sumo runs fast as it winds down….or it runs fast while sat on the bedside drawers at least, could be an orientation thing, but does seem to go faster if off for a day or 2. I’ve been wearing the pelagos and sumo in rotation but sumo much less. both have 70 hr power reserve so can sit for a couple of days and still be running. doing this the sumo seems to be average only about -1 sec/day more than the pelagos (which runs about -1 or -1.5). seems weird to me that it rns faster as it loses power but well, wearing like this, or with my PO in a 3 watch rotation (also 60 hr reserve and goes 2 days sat) it can be pretty accurate

cookeaa

My “vintage” (old) seiko 4205 just turned up:

null

I was expecting it to be dead but its a runner, and after a quick winding it’s been keeping pretty good time for the last four hours.

Needs general cosmetic work, I think I’ll keep the hands and dial as they seem to be nicely faded originals but I will probably change the movement just for peace of mind…

I have to say its a more comfortable weight and shape to wear than my slightly bulkier amphibia, comparison:

null

CountZero

Here’s the MM300 and the Tuna with their new straps fitted:

I think I’ll keep the MM300 for evenings/weekends and the Tuna for work; the shroud gives the Tuna a lot more protection when banging around in cars all day.

Kryton57

They look nice.

Anyone have an opinion on the Spinniker Fluess?   A bit like a BlancPain 50 fathoms with modern reliable bits…

SP-5055-44

I’m trying to decide between that and a an RLG Odyssea as a day to day watch.  I like the RLG in tune blue fade and the fact it comes also with a tropical strap:

https://www.richardlegrand.com/product-page/odyssea-mark-iii-oceanfarer-fume-blue

johnners
    Free Member

@cookeaa It definitely looks like it’s seem some use but I like it like that. The dial looks like a very dark olive green, is it like that in life or just a quirk of the photo? I don’t think I’ve seen that asymmetric design on a NATO before, where’s it from?

I think I’ll keep the MM300 for evenings/weekends and the Tuna for work; the shroud gives the Tuna a lot more protection when banging around in cars all day

TBH my money would be on the Tuna vs a car any day, it’s a beast of a thing.

cookeaa

It definitely looks like it’s seem some use but I like it like that.

Me too, I find myself sort of liking the look of something with some mileage, depending on how I get on with this one I might source another one at a later date and try out aftermarket dials/hands/bezel inserts just to see how a sharper looking one contrasts, but that’s for later.

The dial looks like a very dark olive green, is it like that in life or just a quirk of the photo?

Quirk I expect, it’s dark blue almost black, the lume has faded to the point that it’s a sort of salmon pink, hand lume is faded but not the same so it’s still a light green.

I don’t think I’ve seen that asymmetric design on a NATO before, where’s it from?

I’m not entirely sure where I got it (probably ebay or aliexpress), it’s a cheapy single pass job (it’s actually a tad short even for my girly wrists, so I am thinking I might get a seatbelt job from Georges, they apparently also do those as single pass too to help keep the bulk minimal.

CountZero

TBH my money would be on the Tuna vs a car any day, it’s a beast of a thing.

Yeah, it’s not too bad at the moment ‘cos I’m wearing cold weather gear, but in the warmer weather when I’m wearing tee shirts and squeezing between the cars I’ll have to be careful of the paintwork!
    The shroud is sandblasted stainless steel with a PVD coating, so quite capable of leaving dents if I’m not careful.
    Having said that, the cars are mostly ex-Motability, and the really good condition ones are the rare ones – I doubt anyone would notice an extra dent!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Well my Mondaine turned up today.
    Loving the looks and the light weight. Its the vegan edition with a latex strap and a case made using castor oil amongst other things so it is light and a lot thinner than my trusty Garmin.
    V Happy.
    Now I want the Stop2Go version….

Watch (2 of 2)

Bullet

Vegan edition! Is that for real?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sadly it is.

bob_summers

Trying to think what would make it vegan over vegetarian (ie non-leather). Some latex uses casein iirc, hence vegan johnnies. Anyway it’s to be applauded, I realise most of the target demographic won’t care but it just makes things miles easier for the likes of me who won’t even buy non vegan bike tyres.

ctk
    Free Member

https://wornandwound.com/review/review-blast-from-the-past-with-the-new-q-timex/

Re Timex Q – I really like how it looks. I have a 1984 Timex quartz which I wear every day and is fab apart from the lume has gone. Not sure I’d want to spend £200ish on a new un though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

That does look an alternative to all the Seiko Pepsies.

Wally

If you want all the hairs pulled off your arm it is.

tonyg2003

My titanium Humtun H2 Kraken (dark blue face and Swiss automatic movement) arrived yesterday. My first dive watch and seems nicely made for the money.

Dive

tthew

Was that from the original kickstarter? That’s taken a while to come! Nice to hear they are landing now, because I have a eBay search set up, I might get a hit soon.

tonyg2003

Yes that was from the Kickstarter

Kryton57

I put  bracelet on my Sea Urchin beater today, which has kind of elevated it a bit IMO:

Before:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gznWPc]20190715_110323[/url]

After:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iogo4A]2020-02-02_07-38-20[/url]

Yes I know I’ve scratched it 🙁

Merak

That looks way better on the SS bracelet.

CountZero

That bracelet on your Sea Urchin is pretty much identical to the one that came with the MM300, mine needs a bunch of links taken out, ‘cos there was so much slack I could get two fingers into the gap! 😳
    Plus I find steel bracelets are either a bit tight or a bit loose, so I prefer nylon straps for comfort.
    I will get the strap shortened at some point, just so’s I’ve got the option if I want it. I do like the look with the steel bracelet though.
    There’s also the added weight, with the nylon NATO I barely notice it while wearing it, it feels really light.

johnners
    Free Member

Yes I know I’ve scratched it

Well, “Hardlex”, innit? Orient would have done you sapphire and 200m WR with a screw down crown and bracelet for less money but that’s your Seiko tax right there.

djflexure

Couple of Tuna’s for £209 from Amj watches if anybody is interested
    Save the ocean and pepsi

imn

@tonyg2003 – how do you like the colour?

tonyg2003

Hi. I like it – its the darker blue. Not quite navy blue (a shade lighter) but fine. I’m happy with it. Ands of course being titanium its light for a divers watch.

frankconway

Any have one of the Omega Museum Collection; specifically the Petrograd?

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.