Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 8,673 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Nobby

[gives up trying to post photo]

cookeaa

My bargain square G turned up this morning and I am quite taken with it, not too stealthy, or too blingy and the negative display is actually pretty legible…

It might just displace my F-91w as my default bike riding watch and makes a nice general purpose knock-about watch too. I’m not super keen on setting a watch up using an app, but it does work quite well so maybe the whole Bluetooth thing is OK.

Contrived garden centre cafe wrist shot:

null

derek_starship
    Free Member

I like that. It’s understated.

Why do garden centres have cafes?

cookeaa

They have cafés to act as a sort of crèche for exasperated middle aged men and their tired offspring, who no longer wish to peruse the random collection of overpriced Yankee candles, tote bags and grass seed on sale… Instead they can gawp at their new digital watch and drink bad coffee.

Kryton57

A friend of mine has given me a red stitched croc to go on my SNDA57, I think its elevated it a little:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hZMsMF]2019-12-15_07-57-33[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hZLgKB]20191215_195445[/url]

I quite like it, it matches the hands.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

May I suggest that it’s a good idea to have a pre-thought-out strategy for buying watches.

When I was interested in this sort of thing a few years ago it was on the basis that <£100, was fine for fun, impulse buys, and >£1k was fine for timeless classics/keepers/heirlooms (but limit to one or two). What was not fine was the £100-£1k in-between, no man’s land which is a total waste of money.

I happen to think the mid-range is the poorest value, but the important thing is to think about your own values and hence strategy rather than taking a scattergun approach to what can be a very expensive interest (though maybe not so as expensive as MTBs).

johnners
    Free Member

What was not fine was the £100-£1k in-between, no man’s land which is a total waste of money.

I agree that <£100 watches can be a lot of fun, I couldn’t disagree more with everything else you say though. There are a lot of interesting watches sub £500, above that you’re into rapidly diminishing returns in what you get for your money and while I understand that some people aspire to own classic designs by one of the brands everyone’s heard of it’s never interested me. And the idea of purposefully setting out to buy an heirloom seems to me to miss the point of what an heirloom should be.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Sinn 556 I with rubber/silicone strap

Kato

I like those. Prefer the 556a with the 3/6/9 dial but both are handsome watches. 38mm case came up a bit small for me though

Mrs Kato bought me this a few years ago but I rarely wear it. Got it out today and I’d forgotten what a handsome thing it is. Lovely domed sapphire and a clean dial

Visodate

johnners
    Free Member

Sinn 556 I with rubber/silicone strap

I like that, a nice size too, but I can’t really see 170€+ value in the silicone strap. 50€ delivery within the EU is a bit of a piss-take too, not that I was considering buying one!

stevemorg2

The in-laws want to buy my lad a watch for his birthday @£200-250. Seiko 007 looks ideal but maybe too big a watch for him – not looked at a 009 yet – anyone got a view on the watch gecko watches?

beanum

You don’t say how old your lad is, but there is a mini SKX007, the SKX013K1

It’s 37mm diameter

Mini SKX

Creation Watches have it

stevemorg2

cheers – thats worth a look

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve had this since August (from new) and it’s developed a fault. Unusual IME for a Casio.

Despite several hours of exposure to light, the watch is showing LOW – i.e. low battery.
    So there’s either a problem with the solar panel, the internal capacitor or the connection between the two. I contacted the retailer and they said sorry to hear this but you’ll have to send it to the Casio service centre. I checked the T&Cs and they (Watch Nation) have a 30 day returns policy.
    So I’ll now have to pay for insured / track carriage which will cost about £8.
    Just thought it was a tad poor form to waft me (a recent customer) away.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I saw this yesterday except on a steel bracelet. Oh my it’s lovely. But the shop had them for $750 and that’s not even close what I’d pay for one. So a bit of Googling I found the one with the rubber (or silicon) band for $300 (AUD prices) and was SO tempted. It doesn’t look much but in real life, with all the shop lights, shiny and clean it looked mint. I’ve not had a G-Shock since my Mudman G9000 fell to bits but I literally wore that every day for 10+ years.

I don’t neeeeeed another watch……But if this comes down in the post Christmas sales, or I can grab one that was “an unwanted gift” I might be tempted. On an orange NATO would look purdy I finks.

Merak

@derek_starship

That’s a bummer. Casio should sort it though. I bought one of the resin strap versions, then got a ss bracelet for it.:)

johnners
    Free Member

@derek_starship

A bummer indeed. I would think you’ve got a claim against the retailer in law if you push it but they’d only send it on to Casio anyway and you’re probably liable for postage wherever it goes. As you say, not typical of Casio, I’ve one that’s getting on for 30 years old and the module’s still working. The pushers are a whole other story, mind, there’s a daily alarm I can’t change or cancel. Luckily my hearing’s not what it was so if I’m not in the same room it doesn’t bother me!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Any warranty issue goes through the retailer, surely? That’s how the law works, as I understand it.

elwoodblues
    Free Member

I have a bit of a thing for flieger and military inspired watches. My 12½ year wedding anniversary is coming up, and the wife has decided that me buying a new watch would mark the occasion nicely. I already have a few watches, such as the Citizen Ecozilla, Orca, Royal Marines, and so on. I also have a Hamilton Khaki King Automatic.

I have taken quite a shine to the Glycine brand, especially the Incursore models. Does anyone have some experience with these? Is there some other brands I should be looking at? I am looking in the £500 to 700 bracket…

surreyxc
    Free Member

G-shock Rangeman Solar digital face – worn for everything, survives all, last one lasted 20yrs still going strong, gave it to my dad. Other watches do more, or better looking, but these are tough and if I ever break it, I won’t cry. I just don’t see how any watch with moving parts can be as durable. I had the chance of buying a analogue face G-shock MT or MG , for the same price, looked way better, but at a glance you can not read the info as quick when running, cycling etc.

gauss1777
    Free Member

cookeaa I really like that watch, I almost purchased it a couple of months ago. I ended up buying a Garmin Instinct, so I’m trying to avoid this thread at the moment. Looks sweet though.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

@elwoodblues – you could have a look at CWC if you like military watches.

johnners
    Free Member

@elwoodblues Have you seen the Hamilton Pilot Pioneer auto? I only came across it on the web a week or so ago – interesting shape and unusually small for a watch these days, but the RAF pilots the original was made for back in the 70s seem to have coped. Nicely textured dial and vintage style lume. Bit spendy for me at around the £700 mark but you’re getting Swiss Made and a stonking 80 hour reserve for that.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Kato, I’ve been a fan of the visodate for years since a mate for one. I love the white dial

nicko74

cookeaa, love that G-Shock. What’s the Bluetooth for/ do?

elwoodblues
    Free Member

Some good suggestios here, I will definately take them into consideration!

kilo

Somewhat annoyingly the winding mechanism on my Magrette has broken, this and the fact that it may have to go back to NZ to get fixed combined with alcohol led to me buying a Seiko tuna last night. Fortunately I had the brains to leave the Seiko at the shop to pick up later today rather than losing it in the pub.

Kryton57

What’s the Bluetooth for/ do?

You can set time, dual term, alarms, light settings etc from the phone app rather than use the watch.

Murray

The G-Shock GST-B200D looks really good. I’m not normally a G-Shock fan but that looks really cool.

kilo

Stand in

So collected the Seiko, seems quite nice, fairly light and the strap is more comfortable than it looks.

Nobby

Gave the beater a Christmas facelift. I know the colour scheme’s a bit naff but I think it works.

Beater

johnners
    Free Member

the colour scheme’s a bit naff

I wouldn’t say that but it is pretty sombre. Sort your date out!

neilnevill
    Free Member

works very well nobby!

anyone want a brand new black sumo or a great white shark samurai? just seen 1 day old ones advertised on tz-uk for £510 and £350

cookeaa

cookeaa, love that G-Shock. What’s the Bluetooth for/ do?

Not a great deal (IMO) you can set time, select the 5 world time locations, set the timer/alarms/power save and back light settings via the G-shock app, almost all of which you can do on the watch itself using the buttons…

There’s also a sort of location stamp feature apparently, where if you press and hold a button on the watch, it connects to the phone and the app makes a GPS/time stamp, which is about the only Bluetooth specific feature but I cannot fathom what use it really is.

I was close to buying the GW-M5610 (tough solar/multiband 6, no Bluetooth) but opted for the B5600 as it was a tenner less and the blue/black model looked quite nice, the one feature this watch is missing vs the M5610 is there’s no power reserve displayed, you can only see that on a little graphic on the top, left of the apps home screen…

I may still keep track of the M5610 prices and buy one at a later date, for now I’m happy enough with it and got the B5600 for about 1/3rd less than its current amazon price so I doubt I’ll loose much if I ebay it off in the next couple of years, used square Gs seem to hold some value…

Nobby

I wouldn’t say that but it is pretty sombre. Sort your date out!

It’s the ‘Bondness’ of it rather than the actual colours. Date sorted now…

Wally

Watch and coffee

tthew

Aah, the anticipation of a new post, followed by the disappointment of failed link.

Wally, you can’t link to images from mobile Imgur any more, you need to go to the full desktop site, pop out the image you want to share and post the Direct Link URL into the IMG tool on here.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Aphex, if you still have your g9000 body you can buy all the spares needed to fix it from Tiktix.com I’ve had a few straps from them and am now getting a new replacement surrounding bezel as the rubber covers on the stopwatch buttons have worn away through years of abuse.

tthew

Any new Christmas watches to share? Mrs Tthew received a Fitbit Versa 2, but you don’t want a picture of a boring square smart watch do you?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Any new Christmas watches to share? Mrs Tthew received a Fitbit Versa 2, but you don’t want a picture of a boring square smart watch do you?

null

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 8,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.