Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 8,674 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • CountZero

Count are you offering up an skx007 for £148??

I may well be, just as soon as the new one arrives, and I can swap the bracelet for the ZULU strap.
    It seems pointless to keep it when the new watch is exactly what I was intending to customise the current SKX007 into.
    I’ve also ordered a coin-edge bezel with black ceramic inset, with luminous markings, and a new chapter ring in black, with luminous filled engraved markings, and I’ll get John at Tiger to drill the lugs and fit the chapter ring.
    The SKX007 I’ve got is lovely, but it was going to be a transition, so having found one that’s already most of the way there, then I see no reason not to pass it on for what I paid for it.
    There’s no box or paperwork with it, it’s an ex-shop display model, but it’s in perfect condition.
    I’ll keep you up to date on things, the new one looks like it’ll be with me towards the end of the month, maybe earlier.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Tempting count. I’m trying to save up for a Tudor pelagos but things like skx 007 and 009 have been a constant temptation this summer. I’m currently fighting an urge for a getat fiddy. Does anyone have any views on getat, or in particular the seagull at 2530? I suspect it’s rather good despite being Chinese but…

https://getatwatch.com/watch/44mm-1950/1-1-marina-militare-44mm-1950-brown-dial-automatic-watch.html

johnners
    Free Member

That^^ looks oddly like this only twice the price. Or here’s a 2530 movement with a power reserve for $105. If you like the Militare look there are plenty of these about – same case but GMT and without the small seconds, that’d be my pick. A little digging should find you a sterile dial or one with Marina Militare if having the actual manufacturer on there doesn’t float your boat.

w00dster

Hope I don’t sound like a c0ck saying this. I’ve got a panerai, I’m not a fan of the Marina. It’s as bad as a fake to me.
    I’d much rather have a Seiko divers.
    I have quite a few watches in the £150 to £300 range, I wear a couple of them regularly. Even if I didn’t have my nice watches I’d still not bother with a fake or a clone, especially when there are so many nice watches in this price range.

athgray
    Free Member

I own 19 watches in the £10 to £50 bracket, mainly Soviet vintage manual wind watches. Just bought a special watch for 20th and additional 21st, a pre-owned Tissot Visodate automatic, and a Casio F-91W.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve got a panerai, I’m not a fan of the Marina. It’s as bad as a fake to me.

I’ve nothing against “homage” watches which ape the style of a famous original but where the homage includes a reproduction of the text from the original design I’ve a bit of sympathy with your view. However, unless a watch is sold as the original with intent to deceive the buyer it’s not a fake nor anything close to “as bad as a fake”. I do agree with you that there are plenty of more original alternatives at the affordable range of the market but in defence of the homages the SKX007 clone CZ linked to is not only cheaper than the (now discontinued) original but has the movement and sapphire upgrades Seiko should have included in the original years ago.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve seen the Paris, it’s a fair option price/ quality wise. I don’t like the crown guard though.
    I suspect my current interest in pams will pass but the homages do at least allow someone to try out something which is unusual and see how it feels, without spending loads.
    Totally get people’s views on sterile Vs mm text though.

scratch
    Free Member

Visodates keep catching my eye.

johnners
    Free Member

The new Spinnakers are pretty, though I don’t think “Hull Riviera” as the name for the range has quite the dolce vita connotations they’re hoping for, at least in the UK! I’m also fairly sure they mean imbued rather than imbibed – their copywriter maybe doesn’t have English as a first language. The red one looks like a decent value buy for $200.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I don’t think Vostok watches have had a mention in this thread of a thousand plus posts.

They do some handsome pieces.

Anybody?

cookeaa

I don’t think Vostok watches have had a mention in this thread of a thousand plus posts.

Anybody?

They did several pages (months) back…

athgray
    Free Member

Anybody?

I have a couple. A new Komandirskie and a vintage Amphibia. I like them although they are often overlooked by experts where it’s all about Swiss.

Russian watches are a great way to get into vintage mechanicals. Raketa, poljot, Pobeda, Zim do nice old watches. Loads for sale on ebay.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve a mate with a Tissot Visodate, it is lovely.

Kato

“Visodates keep catching my eye”

Nice watches. I have the silver dial, brown strap one

lunge

A dilemma.
    Walked past my local jewellers over the weekend, a tiny old place that does a few cheaper watches and the odd second hand job. What’s that I spy in the window? A no date Sub of all things, with paperwork, at a price that suggests they don’t know the current demand or shortage of them.

Now the dilemma is this.
    1. I don’t need a new watch and what I’ve been casually browsing is not Subs or even that style.
    2. It’s still a lot of money, less than list price, but still a lot.
    But…
    1. It’s a bargain based on what they are currently selling for.
    2. I could buy it and sell it on without making a loss at all.
    3. You always want what you can’t have, and Subs are neigh on impossible to get hold of.

Hmm…

Kato

Buy it

johnners
    Free Member

If I were you I’d buy it if you fancy giving one a try, a Sub is such a sweet size and fit it’s well worth a punt. And with the way the market’s been for at least the last couple of years you’ve got to assume they know their business and are advertising it at a price they’d be happy with so I’d be guilt free doing it. I’ve never been interested in flipping watches to make money but trying something new (relatively) risk free is not to be passed up lightly IMO.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Buy it!!
    the ND is reportedly one of the hardest to get currently. well all steel sports are virtually impossible. I’ve just been sending photos of mine off to a potential buyer. half of me says keep it another 6-8 weeks as rolex often raise prices in october and given here the Sub ND is (£5750) and the pound struggling with brexit I can see the rise being bigger than the usual 5% ish and blowing well through the £6k mark. Still. I’ll be making a nice profit I think.

If you don’t want it Lunge…where are you? ;o)

neilnevill
    Free Member

Btw. to get the best price you want a full set, so correct green box and pillow, booklet, warranty paper and card, leather sleeve, bezel protector, spare links, outer card box and outer card sleeve, hang tag and green model number tag, and cleaning cloth. If its an older sub it should have the anchor, but not if its a SubC. Condition is also important obviously.

andy5390

I’ve never really been “into” watches. But, as a leaving/retirement gift, I was given this by my colleagues at work.

And I have to say, it’s a nice thing to wear

lunge

If you don’t want it Lunge…where are you? ;o)

I’ll answer that next weekend when I go back and look at it again! If it’s still there and I don’t want it I’ll let you all know!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

For those interested in Spinnaker watches, often discsount codes of 10-20% if you look at the links in YouTube watch reviewers. I think 20OFF used to work but keep your eyes peeled.

Anyone bought one of the new Seiko 5s yet?

phil5556

Anyone had any issues with Watchnation?

I ordered my Seiko 5 from them, infact I ordered two an returned the one I didn’t want. They’ve short changed me on my refund and are dragging their heels with giving me the rest back.

It’s only £10 short but that’s not the point….

Kryton57

There’s a little mini review of the new Seiko 5 in this months TG mag.   It won’t educate anyone in here but the watch looks nice.   I’ve taking a liking to this “Suits” one.

https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/5sports/srpd73k1

…but with a 5 NATO and Prospex bracelet I don’t need any more Seiko’s!

I’m off out tonight for a lads night to a slightly more upmarket bar than usual, and now have Watch indecision 😀

johnners
    Free Member

There’s a little mini review of the new Seiko 5 in this months TG mag. It won’t educate anyone in here but the watch looks nice. I’ve taking a liking to this “Suits” one.

I know they’re new to market but the best price I can see for one of those (and presumably indicative of the rest of the range) is around £250, which seems pretty poor value to me. You can probably still pick up a real SKX and put a mesh bracelet on it for about that money with a bit of shopping around.

johnners
    Free Member

Oh, and also –

…but with a 5 NATO and Prospex bracelet I don’t need any more Seiko’s!

Don’t talk daft, man!

plyphon
    Free Member

Cor yeah you’d have to snap up that ND Sub instantly. Fantastic looking watch. I prefer it to the date version 100%.

Lunge, give us an update!

plyphon
    Free Member

Unrelated to the above –

What are people’s thoughts on selling watches that have sentimental value?

So the situation is, I bought a Omega Speedmaster when I had a fairly large success/movement in my life, was a nice way to celebrate.

I still love the watch, it’s a great watch. BUUTTT – I got my Rolex Explorer a few months ago. I’ve not really worn the Speedmaster since. The Explorer is just so god-damned perfect, and I’m loving the slightly smaller case size and diameter.

I’m wondering if I should sell the Speedy. Prices for 2nd hand Speedmasters are holding quite well (Omega raised their prices recently) so currently I wouldn’t even lose anything, I might even make some small profit.

But at the same time, I do still love the look of the watch… and it’s got a lot of sentimental value attached to it…

kilo

If you don’t need the cash for a specific purpose why bother selling it, it’s nice to have nice things and there’s nothing to say in a few months you won’t fancy wearing the omega for a bit

lunge

Cor yeah you’d have to snap up that ND Sub instantly. Fantastic looking watch. I prefer it to the date version 100%.

Lunge, give us an update!

Tried it on yesterday and much as it was bloody lovely I can’t quite justify the outlay at the moment. Even Mrs Lunge was telling me to buy it, even if I resell it, but right now it’s still in the shop (well it was at lunch on Thursday!). Unsurprisingly, the guy in the shop suggested there was a lot of interest in it and to expect it not hang around.

neilnevill
    Free Member

SO i no longer own a SubC (no date). I sold it on today. 13% profit in 6 months. I suspect the buy will do well too as I suspect rolex will raise prices in october.

Photos and details lunge!

CountZero

Right, things have changed somewhat, as I received an email telling me the order for the MM300 homage had been cancelled and my money refunded! And I’d been given a shipping number as well. I contacted Heimdallr and it seems that I’d ordered the last one the EU store had in stock at the same time it had been sold, and the HK store was also sold out, new stock at the end of the month.
    Damn, what to do… Well, I’m going to get the bits to do the MM300 mod on the SKX007 I’ve got, I’ve already got the lumed chapter ring, coin-edge bezel and full lumed ceramic bezel insert, I just need the face, hands and sapphire crystal, along with an NH35 hackable movement.
    However, my original plan was to get an SKX007, and get a Tiger Shroud fitted, but the steep cost of just the machining, on top of all the bits, put me off. Then I was browsing through Heimdallr’s dive watches, and spotted their all-steel Tuna homage, which was what I was trying to emulate. A whole watch for less than the cost of the Tiger Shroud machining?
    Well, what else could I do?

It’s winging its way as I speak, hopefully not too long. 😁
    Just checked 17TRACK, and it’s definitely on its way.

neilnevill
    Free Member

So after selling the subC and going n-1 let week….I got very lucky and got the chance of a bargain on a watch I’d been saving hard for for quite a while…. N+1 again. This one is a keeper.

Kryton57

Well…?

midlifecrashes

I know Shinola are generally seen as overpriced for what they are, but if you think the right price should be around £200, there are a couple in the House of Fraser outlet store in Doncaster.

neilnevill
    Free Member

let’s see if I can post some images…and how quickly you can ID the watch

null

neilnevill
    Free Member

That seems to work and i can still see it after logging out…hopefully I’m not the only one.

poor photo but big clue

null

neilnevill
    Free Member

really big clue!

null

oldtennisshoes

20% off all H Samuel stock until midnight
    https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/

Some bargain Garmins with the 20% off including Instincts for less than £220

neilnevill
    Free Member

ok for those that have still to guess, look at the colour of the metal. Also the crown guards shape.

null

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 8,674 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.