Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 8,569 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • CountZero

That’s not a bad price for a SKX. You could probably flog the bits you are removing and fund some of the parts needed for your mods.

It’s better than that, actually, that included postage, it was £148, for an ex-display model, most of the ones I’ve been following on eBay have been older, well-worn examples, some twenty-odd years old, the newer ones have gone well over that.
    Ordered a new ZULU strap for it, it should arrive beginning of September, it’s been posted.

CountZero

Carbis, if you’re in the Swindon area, there’s a watch dealership, Deacons, in Swindon, Royal Wootton Bassett and Marlborough, who have watchmakers on site, they fixed my 1970 Yema, not cheap, but the watch is worth it.
    https://www.deacons-jewellers.com/

phil5556

The Spinnaker Bradner looks like a nice watch in that budget. Gets a good review from Jody at ‘Just One More Watch’ on YouTube.

I think you can also get a 20% discount code from JOMW

only a little over your budget is the new timefactors precista :only a little over your budget is the new timefactors precista :

Cheers both but at the moment don’t think I want a diver watch style. Also I think I’d rather have something from a brand that I recognise, although I don’t know if that really matters.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    athgray
    Free Member

Cheers both but at the moment don’t think I want a diver watch style. Also I think I’d rather have something from a brand that I recognise, although I don’t know if that really matters.

That’s perfectly reasonable. I am not normally a big diver watch fan myself. If you haven’t done so then you should have a look at the reviews by ‘Just One More Watch’. They are informative and honest and not pretentious unlike many watch channels on youtube. Jody seems to know his stuff.

I knew next to nothing about watches at the start of the year, but now have about 15 watches mainly old Soviet in origin because they are extremely affordable, not common and I like some of the quirky designs, costing between £5 and £50, (although I have spent a fortune on straps).

I have developed an appreciation for Seiko though over this period. I always thought they were a sort of H Samuel cheap and cheerful type of brand. Lots of history and innovation though. I like their day to day office and dress watches, but not a big fan of their divers. Hands are too stubby and lumed indices are too chunky for my liking, but I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I do have an itch that need scratches for a classy looking but AFFORDABLE Swiss vintage piece possibly from Tissot, Rado or Oris, but ebay is a reconditioned or potentially fake mine field.

phil5556

@athgray I’ll check out the YouTube recommendation.

I quite like this

And also really like the look of this, but turns out the blue Alpinist is limited edition, USA only and not very cheap!

athgray
    Free Member

JOMW newest video is a Tissot head to head with a Seiko Sarb. I reckon you might like it. Both those watches are nice.

The only Seiko I have is a 40yo Seiko 5 from ebay. Its an automatic with a typically ‘jangly’ Seiko bracelet, a day complication that moves on at 8pm and a date complication that moves at 10pm. I love it though.

phil5556

Cool I’ll check it out tomorrow.

I think I want a metal bracelet, but by jangly do you mean they’re not very good? I’ve only got small wrists so need it to fit well.

athgray
    Free Member

Looking in greater depth, I think that blue Alpinist is a stunning watch.

I think Seiko bracelets at the budget end are not often considered the best. Folded links, cheap pressed clasp rather than milled. Also loose tolerances, meaning you get the distinctive metallic clank when you hold it by the case and shake it. I like my bracelet as it is thin and unobtrusive and I think it adds to the charm.

Also, what size case do you like. Many divers are in the 40-42mm diameter range or larger, where as I prefer 36-38mm.

phil5556

So I decided to watch it now, that Tissot was on my list but having seen the video of it I think it’s too plain-which was one of the reasons I liked it. The SARB looks really nice, £350 though 😕

I feel like I could be about to disappear down a rabbit hole….

That Alpinist I really like in the blue, it seems it’s easily available in green and gold but I really don’t like gold.

Size wise I think I would want something on the smaller side, I guess under 40mm but would like to try some on, or at least measure one of my other watches.

Cheers for the Seiko bracelet info.

edhornby

I have laughably thin wrists. Really, it’s like a small child has taped a stick to a paper plate when you look at my hand and wrist.

I have a Seiko 5. it doesn’t look silly on me and I even managed to resize the bracelet myself. I haven’t noticed it being particularly noisy but there is the odd rattle.

kilo

Is the blue Seiko this one
    SEIKO AUTOMATIC PRESAGE SARY123 Made in Japan

Nice watch. I love my presage from Seiya, very good vendor. I think I’d like a Grand Seiko now- it’s worse than bikes for n+1!!

johnners
    Free Member

I have a Seiko 5. it doesn’t look silly on me and I even managed to resize the bracelet myself. I haven’t noticed it being particularly noisy but there is the odd rattle.

The hate for Seiko bracelets is a bit overdone IMO. I don’t think they’re bad at their price point, though the Jubilee you get on the 007 is notoriously rattly. Also famously flexible, which can be a good thing for comfort. For me a pressed clasp is neither here nor there, though hollow end links can be an issue for strength as much as aesthetics. I’ve never seen a Seiko strap with folded links though, the bracelet that came with my SKX779 is made from girders, solid end links, pressed clasp with diver’s extension and all!

Kryton57

Those new Fives look much better in 3d.  Check this out:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B07krRxF4MJ/?igshid=1snbwxva7miky

johnners
    Free Member

Those new Fives look much better in 3d.

Nah, they looked better in focus.

“The new Seiko 5 range ⌚️ Which is your favorite?” – The green ones, it’s almost always the green ones.

phil5556

Is the blue Seiko this one
    SEIKO AUTOMATIC PRESAGE SARY123 Made in Japan

Nice watch. I love my presage from Seiya, very good vendor. I think I’d like a Grand Seiko now- it’s worse than bikes for n+1!!

Yes it is, although listed as SRPB41J1, not sure why the code is different?

CountZero

I’ve never seen a Seiko strap with folded links though, the bracelet that came with my SKX779 is made from girders, solid end links, pressed clasp with diver’s extension and all!

The bracelet that came with my SPORK is about as heavy as the watch! I changed it for a NATO/ZULU to start with, then the sharkskin mesh one when I discovered those on fleabay, it’s so much more comfortable, because of the flexibility, and it’s lighter as well.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I don’t think Certina watches have been mentioned in this thread. I have two from this brand but I’m thinking of adding this diver:

Very smart.

neilnevill
    Free Member

That certina looks nice, could you tell us more about it?

Anybody a pam fan? I know very little about the brand but would love to know more.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I don’t know more than its model name is DS PH200M.

Certina are an oft overlooked Swiss brand.

THey certainly make stuff to last,

This is my LCD DS Chronolympic circa. 1978. Immaculate and still beating.

phil5556

So it turns out I’ve got one of these on the way to try 😁 Slightly worried it’ll be a bit big for my twig wrists but will give it a try.

johnners
    Free Member

So it turns out I’ve got one of these on the way to try

Very smart. Size-wise 42mm is about my limit, and I always think that style wears a bit bigger than the measurement suggests, maybe because they’re all face with no bezel to “shrink” the visuals a bit. Only way to know is wear it for a few hours and see!

phil5556

The watch I’m wearing at the moment is about 43mm so similar size, the Seiko is 42. But it’s a bit lighter being plastic with a rubber strap.

coin flipping machine

I did nearly go for this which is 37, and what I’ll likely get if this one turns out to be too big.

Seiko Men’s Analogue Automatic Watch with Stainless Steel Strap SNXS77K https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KKO85S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QvguDbJEY5NAJ

Kato

That Certina diver is lovely. Hesalite crystal too!

shinton
    Free Member

You don’t come across Certina very often in the UK, closest I’ve seen is the watch shop in Dublin airport. They have a very eclectic range compared to most watchmakers, some of which are truly hideous but others are really rather nice. Take a look at the listings on chrono24 to see what I mean. Link

johnners
    Free Member

emalopes
    Free Member

How about my beauty from Emporio Armani?
    my emporio armani watch
    rom the loads of watches I have this one is my favorite because it looks well on almost all of my clothes.

For anyone that want’s to know the model it is the Emporio Armani Classic Quartz AR1682 watch. Super affordable but quality and good looking wristwatch.

johnners
    Free Member

But it’s a bit lighter being plastic with a rubber strap.

Can't beat a bit of plastic now and then.

I like that green – can’t beat a bit of plastic now and then.

lapdog
    Free Member

I love the certina! Inspired me to go looking for one now. And I love the green plastic watch…..cool! Sorry but I don’t like the Armani watch at all though – a fashion brand dabbling in watches and a quartz watch to boot doesn’t do it for me. But hey as you can tell my tastes are a bit different.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Great troll.

What a super toss watch.

CountZero

Liking the black Casio diver, nice and uncomplicated.
    And currently only £15 on Amazon. Only problem I’d have is the synthetic resin strap, which always make my wrist red and sweaty and itchy.

Great troll.

What a super toss watch.

I’d say a triumph of style over substance, except there’s little of both going on there.

Kryton57
    johnners
    Free Member

Liking the black Casio diver, nice and uncomplicated.
    And currently only £15 on Amazon.

It’s a bargain to be sure, a proper beach holiday watch at a fiver less than getting a strap changed over…

Saw a good but definitely used 007 go for £210 on ebay the other day, makes your Australian one pretty good value even if you get hit for VAT. Though with all the rumours of them being discontinued in favour of the new 5 Sports line we may yet be seeing prices firm up some more. Could be worth keeping the bits displaced by the mods just in case you ever fancy moving it on?

frankconway

Have dipped in and out of this thread over a few months; there was some ‘willy waving’ but in a nice way a couple of months ago with some posters listing trucking impressive collections.
    I have Breitling Transocean – was on a strap, now on a bracelet – and Omega DeVille; my fave is the Omega. It replaced one that was stolen some years and that was my all-time fave.
    And a TomTom runner….
    Breitling is every day and Omega for best.
    Continue to be drawn back to Omega Museum Collection – oh my; personal preference is the Petrograd.
    How TF do I justify that??? Ah forgot – I’m divorced so only need to justify to self…..and one of my Sons will inherit; sorted!
    Also temped by a Panerai; that would be another step too far.
    Will employer re-instate bonus scheme next year???? If they do then I could be very tempted to do N+1+1….

johnners
    Free Member

And some new Citizen mechanicals…

And very nice they look too, especially the green one which is reserved for far eastern markets. Just as well I suppose, I’m pretty diver’d up for now as well as being a bit skint.

Though I don’t have a Citizen…

Murray

The Casio diver is lovely – very tempted

cookeaa

The Casio diver is lovely – very tempted

You really can’t beat a Casio!

I’ve got one of those casio MRW-200H, cost me a tenner. Great as a knockabout beach/pool watch (took it on holiday this year) but it’s more of a “diver-style” watch, easy scratch Acrylic crystal, the bezel is non-ratchetting, bi-directional and thus easy to knock if you’re trying to time something, it’s all cheap and plasticy, but it was only a tenner, it’s easy to read, shows day/date, claims 100m water resistance so is fine for a swim and being all plastic/resin construction there’s are no worries about water/sweat/sun cream knackering the strap or getting in the case… there’s a few styles available too. Get one.

Of course if you wanted a Casio that’s a bit more like a “proper diver” there’s the MDV106-1AV “Duro” which is a pretty good VFM watch IMO… It’s a slippery slope and hard to stop at one casio.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Though with all the rumours of them being discontinued in favour of the new 5 Sports line

Seems like the general consensus is that the mini-turtle is the replacement for the SKX. It has some of the upgrades that people have been calling for/doing themselves.

johnners
    Free Member

the general consensus is that the mini-turtle is the replacement for the SKX

If we’re talking 007/009 that may be true functionally, in that it’s a true dive watch. But the Mini Turtle has a very different case shape and no day complication, and it’s Prospex, a step up to a higher price/quality point in the Seiko range. On the other hand the new 5 Sport is very 007-a-like, with a whole range of styles which Seiko may be hoping will appeal to people who would otherwise have been tempted to head for a 007 as a mod project. The capability downgrade is irrelevant (practically at least) to most 007 owners.

CountZero

Well, to my utter astonishment, my new watch arrived this morning! In a very large cardboard box, it doesn’t have a box or paperwork with it, the description says it was a shop display piece. It was described on the package as a ‘vintage watch’, so I didn’t incur any extra costs. The watch is immaculate, it doesn’t have a mark on it, so considering the rather battered appearance of some of the examples I’ve been watching as auctions, and which were consistently fetching prices up around £170-180 I’m thrilled to bits. It’s now on an orange Watchgecko ZULUDiver strap, which is much more comfy than the rubber strap it came with.

bearnecessities

There is a disturbing amount of indistinguishable flesh in that photo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 8,569 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.