Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • tthew

Thanks plyphon.
    I got the Cape Cod polishing cloths that neilnevill suggested, and they made a big difference. You can still see the scratch if you know where to look, but there’s no sharp edge on it now, so nothing to catch the light and make it noticeable.

Should probably have popped back to update before, but there you go, and thanks for the suggestions.

I heartily agree with you about wearing them daily, but I’m probably going to be a little more thoughtful about where in future. I bashed it on pipe coupling when undoing a nut on one of the Gas Turbines at work.

plyphon
    Free Member

That’s a good result then – there are some truly shocking photos on the watch forums from people who have got a bit ‘buff happy’ with the cap cods…

I proper dinged the lug on my Speedy on a table at the Soho Brewdog the other day. Left a fairly visible chunk on the polished side of the lug. Was pissed off, but now it reminds me of the tasting rack I got and how I discovered the milk stout tastes amazing and the american red ale is surprisingly nice also. Swings & roundabouts eh.

Kryton57

I kind of know about the “expensive swatch” reputation of Rado considering thier use of generic movements, but I spotted a Ladies Centrics Diamond which I think would make a classy dress watch for Mrs K for her 40th.  It’s the style more than anything else and of course Rado is Swiss…

Any reason to avoid like the plague…?  And if so, can anyone recommend anything similar which has a bit of meaning and longevity to it?

neilnevill
    Free Member

this sort of thing?
    https://www.bradleysthejewellers.com/rado-ladies-centrix-s-watch-3652
    i know nothing about rado so can’t comment.

does it have to be new? ladies watches crash in value so you can pick up vintage omega and such at basically the scrap gold value. the price of the above is over twice what i paid for a 1960 omega geneve in a 9ct gold denison case for my mum.

Kryton57

Actually this one: https://www.bradleysthejewellers.com/view-all-rado/rado-ladies-centrix-watch-3556

She’s not into watches in an appreciative manner, she would appreciate an “old fashioned” watch.

neilnevill
    Free Member
    Kryton57

Nice watches thanks.  She already has a 2006 Tag Aquaracer though which is a very similar look. I’m not sure I’m getting away with the fact she see it as a second hand watch for her 40th…

neilnevill
    Free Member

hmm, fair point

sajama55
    Free Member

Bust my junghans mega solar, 22 years old cracked the solar panel dial . No damage to glass or body. Want another watch with the radio control and solar charging, must have a proper sapphire glass as i have scratched a few watches. Whats available?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’d guess a citizen would fit the bill…

igm

Kryton57 – my wife got a very similar, though automatic, Rado for her 40th. She likes it. Relatively robust (worn daily except when wearing the Garmin).
    Started keeping time poorly after 3 years but a service sorted it.

PS – the different colours, silver, black grey etc, for the strap and case give it a very different look. Choose wisely.

Kryton57

Thanks IGM, good to know. I’ve seen the one I linked to in the flesh, as well as the version with the black bracelet and case, and agree it gives a very different look.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Anybody thinking of a Harrods special edition tudor black bay, I got one today. I went on the list 3 months ago. I’ve done the deal to move it on already, I did that while on the bus to work today, before I collected the watch at lunchtime.

Wally

picks required.

plyphon
    Free Member

Ha nice, thats the one with the Harrods-green dial right?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Pics? I had it less than 21 hours! Yes, the standard Tudor Black Bay but with Harrods swamp Green bezel, Harrods ‘H’ on the case back and the number in the run, mine was #2346. Bought and flipped for a 10% profit to Daryll….likely on his wrist now in place of the PAM he had on when i delivered it to him this morning. He may or may not keep it. I know he likes it but being a dealer he’ll take an offer and I’ve left him plenty of room for a quick profit. Its a nice piece, I prefer it to the blue bezel version which I’ve handled, but my favorite is the original claret bezel version

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and Daryll showed me a scarily good fake batman! very scary for £200. One of his dealer mates was bringing over the real thinking to compare later. Winding it wasn’t rolex smooth and was a give away but case, bezel, bracelet all good, decent ETA 2893-2 in it though apparently. Oh it lacked a glide lock, but it had me fooled.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pics? I had it less than 21 hours!

If only your phone had a camera…. ;o)

Nothing really floating my boat ATM. Was tempted with a mecha-quartz but held off. The green Hulk-esque BLWRX off of Amazon tempts me, as do some of the new Phoibos “Great Wall” also looks nice but it’s priced too high IMHO.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Did anyone back the Hamtun H2 on kickstarter? The more I look at it the more I like it, looks just about the right size and shape.
    How do automatic movements stand up to sports such as mtb’ing?

igm

I have that too Bullet. It’s a nice watch.

Bullet

Yes, I agree – shame my link didn’t work but not too worry.

Wally

Bought new a long long time ago with first “own” money.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Stevet1

Did anyone back the Hamtun H2 on kickstarter

Yes and no. I backed it. Then when I realised it wasn’t going to be sent until late August I cancelled.

I nearly hit a Helm Khuruburi or Komodo but missed them, they sold out fast. The just released 100 of their Vanuatu’s which also are stunning watches for the price, but they sold out of those too. Next batch in August so perhaps I should have just stuck to my guns with the Ti H2!

I’m also considering an Orange Seiko Samurai and upgrading the sapphire to double domed with AR coating and a bezel insert upgrade. But I’m so indecisive I’ll probably never do it.

Spinnaker have just announced a new Bronze watch which looks nice.

Oh and Neymar / BLWRX perhaps for a Hulk-esque
    http://www.blwrx.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=95&Id=265&FId=t3:95:3

grimep
    Free Member

basically jewellery for guys

Wally

My guy has just got in an old Explorer 1. Hope to see it next week. Do I need two Kidneys?

tonyg2003

Yep backed the Humtun – looking forward to seeing what its like

aphex_2k
    Free Member

grimep

And?

Your necklace tell the time does it?

tthew

I decided it was better to ignore that troll-y comment, but yes, you are quite right.

Kept looking at the Hamtun, but as I’d just bought a nice one, (Tag) decided against it. I’ll keep an eye on eBay after they have been delivered, or maybe here if one of the flippers bought in.

lapdog
    Free Member

https

lapdog
    Free Member

I give up. Can’t work out how to post a picture. I am too stupid!

neilnevill
    Free Member

explorer 1, one of the less popular rolex SS sports models, they are less scarce/sought after and a little more affordable…a little!

CountZero

Your point, caller?

Bagstard
    Free Member

I wish I had backed the Hamtun, it looks great!

tthew

@Bagstard and anyone else who was considering the Hamtun H2, looks like they’ve got some left, Indigogo orders are back open for a limited time/number. Ooh, nice watch Mr.

boblo
    Free Member

Those new Seiko Prospex LX’s look the dogs danglies. Bit pricey mind, nearly as much as the ones they’re emulating…

Kryton57

I was thinking earlier we need a few more pics so to add to boblo:

Image result for seiko prospex lx

Yes very nice, about £4500 but hand polished with the Zaratsu method, to give it a talking point.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I bought a watch box to keep and display my collection.

I want a new Omega or Rolex.

Skint at the moment from buying bike bits.

boblo
    Free Member

That’s the on Kryton. Thanks for posting the pic. I’ll wait and see if Creation In Singapore start knocking them out a bit cheaper then must really resist. I think the Roly Subs are only about £1k more than that?

Yeah a watch box was my downfall. It had 5 slots and I only had 3 ‘nice’ watches so beware…

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.