Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 8,690 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Kryton57

plus I could go to Tokyo, find some weird local only Seiko, and have a cool holiday for the same cost.

Having a story like that around a watch I might hand down to my kids appeals.

igm

Use Creation and tell the same story… 😜

scratch
    Free Member

haha, I went to Tokyo a couple of years ago solo as I’d always wanted to go, even now there’s nowhere that fascinates me more, and I knew i’d go back at the next opportunity,

Going there to grab a watch would be a nice excuse 🙂

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So I pulled my interest in the Hamtun watch. Got cold feet (and couldn’t be @rsed waiting until Sept for delivery), and really wanted a Helm. The Helm watches re-launched a couple of days ago, so I spent a couple of days trying to decide. Then they sold out! Their new one (The Komodo) got reviewed by JOMW and there were a couple of niggles so I’m actually glad I didn’t go for it – but the white dial / mint green markers do look lush and the lume is about the best you can get for a $300 USD watch.

Anyone make any nice purchase recently? Post up some piccies!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Anyone make any nice purchase recently?

Still impressed with the accuracy of the Hamilton field Auto I bought 2 months ago. Set the time at the beginning of March when I changed the date, just checked and it’s lost 10 seconds since then.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

That’s fantastic. What movement us in it?

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’m no expert but my understanding is that it’s a modified ETA 2824-2 movement which Hamilton call H-10. It has a lower beat rate to lengthen the power reserve to 80hrs (second hand sweeps smoothly enough for me) and some further modifications to the movement to improve the accuracy. Hamilton are owned by the swatch group and I think this is something they have a hand in developing.

plyphon
    Free Member

New teaser up on the Rolex site….

rolex

Updated movements on the Sub is a fair bet. Not sure what else could happen though…

plyphon
    Free Member

The optimist in me is hoping this is why subs, GMTs have been in short supply recently… and that they’ll be ample new stocks when they switch to the revised versions.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Lots of people guessing about that Rolex teaser, yet there seems to be little in it to me. ‘unveiling 20th’. That’s the day before Basel world opens, so the new range will be released on the website early I guess.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

plyphon

The optimist in me is hoping this is why subs, GMTs have been in short supply recently

According to Google (so it must be accurate) Rolex make 800,000 watches a year, and their sister co, Tudor another 200,000. I would suggest there’s no shortage, just marketing supply and demand bo11cks.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Supply of certain Rolex models is artificially restricted.

plyphon
    Free Member

Rolex absolutely limit the number of steel sports models – a lot of ADs have reported not getting a single steel model on shipments recently, but plenty of precious metal DateJusts and stuff.

neilnevill
    Free Member

It’s odd, it probably creates some desire through the scarcity but I’d have thought Rolex would be more profitable making more, ADs too. I’m not an economist though.

oldgit
    Free Member

Started looking at this thread.
    Looked at some watches.
    Looked at my old 1981 Seiko.
    Looked at those hamiltons
    Bought a private number plate.
    Semi retirement is leathal

bennn
    Free Member

What, no comments on the new Tudor and Rolex releases on their websites yet?

Not over keen on any of the new ones really, and glad I didn’t wait till after Basel to buy one!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Tudor, wtf! Gopping.

Rolex, disappointed. Especially as they have discontinued the black GMT that is expressed interest in at 2 ADs recently. Like many I also don’t like the jubilee on the black/blue.

So many easy things they could have done that would have been liked, but….pfff.

Murray

GMT Master II looks fine. The rest have me reaching for eye bleach.

Fantasy watch now firmly Omega.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Visually the 42mm yacht master looks ok… If you like rubber straps…. Then you notice is not steel but white gold and the price is (even more) out of reach.

It won’t sell well…. The smurf doesn’t and that looks stunning.

plyphon
    Free Member

Surprised they discontinued the black GMT – the price for that will absolutely skyrocket now on the 2nd hand market. If you got one recently you must be laughing.

The new blue (batman?) GMT is real nice though. I don’t like the jubilee bracelet on sports models however.

The YachtMaster is cool – they’ll sell like hotcakes to the bouje instagram flex rapper crowd, I reckon.

A lot of people will like the DJ 36 – a lof of guys on the forums are hating on the ‘big watch’ trend that has been going on for the past 10 years or so. I’m uncertain if they’ll really sell, I like my 40mm watches.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I expressed interest in the black GMT at 2 ADs recently, but not received one. I guessed it might go, but thought it would be to make way for another bezel colour…. The coke (black and red) was the most expected. The batman looks nicer on oyster bracelet imv, they are now offering the choice for the Pepsi but not for the batman. Odd. It does at least get the new movement.

I agree a 36mm DJ works. I’m no fan of large watches. I’ve a 41.5 (and very thick!) PO which I’m used to but boy, when I put my 36mm SMP on it feels good! How people with normal wrists wear 43, 44 or 46mm watches idk.

Oh well… The wait goes on for a white dial explorer (1, or an oyster perpetual 39 with 3, 6, 9), and for a steel smurf.

bennn
    Free Member

Yeah no standout peices from the new stuff for me, not even anything I thoink might grow on me. I got a 42mm Explorer in the end and glad I did now.

Edit: Tudor look to have dropped the ‘Heritage Black Bay’ in black that was looking to be a next likely purchase.. In favour of all the gopping new stuff. Hmm.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I do like the new Breitling Superocean. A big improvement. Dial is cleaner and less cluttered. Brushed (rather than polished) lugs tones the bling factor right down.

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watches/superocean/44/A17367D71B1A1/

Kryton57

Just watching the various Basal world content being emailed to me via Jura watches.  There’s a new Grand Seiko out, a Sports Chrono Spring Drive GMT in Rose gold, brown leather strap – £39,700.  Holy crap…

lunge

Keep being drawn to this. Maybe, just maybe time for a treat.

Kato

That’s nice on leather. My brother has a blue Navitimer on a bracelet and it’s too bling bling for me. Leather and a light face changes the watch. I think you treat yourself!

neilnevill
    Free Member

they are rather large watches, and wear very big. Iconic design though,

lunge

they are rather large watches, and wear very big. Iconic design though

They’ve actually downsized them, they were all 47mm and there are still models on that size, the one I like is 41mm and whilst it wears big, it’s not huge.

plyphon
    Free Member

Some of the newer ‘heritage’ (I think thats what they’re called them) Brietling designs are really nice – especially the ‘panda’ style chronos.

neilnevill
    Free Member

its a long while since i tried on a navitimer but what i noticed was , because there is no big bezel, the dial is visually large for the case size and it makes them look really big. I did consider one of the smaller versions, the mont blanc i think it was, but for now no.

plyphon
    Free Member

Someone mentioned buying watches in Tokyo – how does the tax situation work? I read something somewhere around removing the tax as you’re a tourist?

alpineharry
    Free Member

What would people generally recommend for about £5-800? Preferably a diver but open to other suggestions.

lunge

What would people generally recommend for about £5-800?

Difficult price point that is. Personally, I’d save a couple of hundred and get either a Seiko SKX 009/007 or an Orient of some kind, likely a Mako or a Ray. Look at Creation Watches for more ideas.
    I may also look at the Seiko Prospex range, some lovely watches for the money there.

neilnevill
    Free Member

christopher ward? although they have been upping prices so may be past that…not sure..decent watches. or some of the steinharts with elabore eta movements. or Stowa maybe….again they may be too much, iconic fleigers though

tthew

alpineharry, one of these hamtuns that were mentioned on the previous page look lovely, unless you are in a rush and there’s a reason for particularly wanting to spend more. Hamtun diver

alpineharry
    Free Member

Some rather nice suggestions there, think there were a couple of other brands a few pages back I have been meaning to go back and find, just not got round to it. Not particularly in a rush to buy, just getting a look in early so know what to save for / if I may need to save more.

Currently have a Phoibos PY007a in green as an everyday watch, I’ve a leather strap on it as I find them a bit more comfortable than a bracelet. Someone on here recommended Phoibos and they seem good value for money for what you get.

I do rather like the Steinhart Ocean one options though and currently top of the list.
    https://www.steinhartwatches.de/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/j/u/jubilee_2.1545381100.png

alpineharry
    Free Member

Edit: ignore

neilnevill
    Free Member

I like steinhart. had my ocean one on for the last 3 days (on olive green nato). the oyster bracelet i have is good, I’d guess the jubilee will be too. I assume that pepsi bezel is aluminum not ceramic but so what…scratch it badly and a replacement is about tenner IIRC, and they are glied in and easy enough to change.

lunge

I do rather like the Steinhart Ocean one options though and currently top of the list.

That to me is a little too close to a Rolex GMT master, I’d be looking for something with its own style and not a copy/homage.

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 8,690 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.