Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 8,690 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • ebikegum

Lunge – i’ve got a Speedmaster Auto reduced that I’m going to be selling shortly. Message me if you’re interested.

neilnevill
    Free Member

plyphon, that is their way, evolution! black bezel gmt still has the old movement so could/should get the newer one that is in the pepsi (and batman?) does the black bezel sub date and sub have an old movement too? I chatted to the Rolex guy in Harrods a good while who told me about the teaser video Tudor have done which hints at a Tudor Sub, if that is allowed then he reckoned it will only be because Rolex will upgrade their own sub significantly. I don;t think he ‘knew’, I think he was just a keen watch guy like anybody else, but it makes some sense.

plyphon
    Free Member

does the black bezel sub date and sub have an old movement too?

Yeah – it does.

On another forum someone said they went to Harrod’s last weekend and they had stocks of no-date subs. I’m going to pop in tomorrow to try my luck. Reading between the lines, it could be that Rolex is flushing current stocks ready for the movement upgrade….*dons tinfoil hat*

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ll be slightly put out if they do/did, since I registered my interest there for that only last month. Perhaps it’s not stock as such, but watches in display cases awaiting collection? I’m hoping it does get an upgrade and I get lucky to get an early upgraded/new model though.

I wonder if Rolex would do something more dramatic….a ceramic case? It isn’t their way though

plyphon
    Free Member

I get the feeling places like WoS and Harrods don’t take the waiting list very seriously – they must have a near limitless list of buyers who will probably buy a Datejust or a Patek at the same time as their Sub to bother with mere mortals like myself.

If I make it there tomorrow I’ll let you know what they say.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Definitely! My experience there, and in Wempe, was ‘we don’t have a waiting list, you can register an interest, we make NO promises’. If you go tomorrow, I spoke to Sonny, he wears a PO even though he sells Rolex and I enjoyed chatting watches with him.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well? did you?

plyphon
    Free Member

Hey –

So we did pop to Soho area but got a call from some friends watching the rugby around Tower Hill before I got to go watch shopping! I was keen for a beer and so was the Mrs so we went and got set in for the game. (Wish I’d gone watch shopping instead, it was a crap game!)

This weekend I’ll try again …. !

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ah well, watches skills be fun, I’d put a good social first too!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ahh biscuits…

Spotted a seller on eBay selling Orange faced Seiko Samurai which worked out around 200 quid delivered. Didn’t think much until a few more popped up in my suggested items which were waaaaay more expensive. By the time I went back the seller (unsurprisingly) had sold all they had.

Kryton57

Watched an episode of Ainsley’s Carribbean cooking today . I noticed he was wearing a lovely dark blue sea master with a subtle stripey face .

What’s the proper/official name for the Omega stripey face?

neilnevill
    Free Member

wave pattern I think

Wally

Put a watch on eBay last week, sold in 30 mins, I think I might have under priced it. I was working on 50 % on walk out door plus 10% a year. Anyhow, buyer delighted!

tthew

That’s the second hand bike formula, what was the watch, and how much did it go for?

Wally

6 month old citizen titanium 300 sapphire ecodrive, new Ray Mears type.
    If you cannot read this one, you really do need to put the beer down.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I must confess I know nothing of This guy, but having just come across his youtube I can tell that’s about to change! Roger W Smith, high end watch maker

I can across him thanks to another youtube channel…rather different. Bark and Jack. its just a guy, a rolex fan and coffee drinker, talking watches, but I’ve found him watcable…enough ego and opinion to b interesting but othrwise just an ordinary watch fan I’d say.

Oh and to skip the president’s into go to 5:07

bearnecessities

Watched an episode of Ainsley’s Carribbean cooking today . I noticed he was wearing a lovely dark blue sea master with a subtle stripey face .

What’s the proper/official name for the Omega stripey face?

If you mean the straight stripes on the Seamaster AT* – it’s ‘teak’. (some guff about yacht decks – ’tis lovely though 🙂 )

*this one

Kryton57

Thats the one!

mikertroid
    Free Member

@wally

Looks exactly like my 20 year-old EcoDrive tough. What’s ‘new’ about that design?

derek_starship
    Free Member

That is a lovely Omega.

plyphon
    Free Member

They also do it in a black which is incredible.

Wally

Mikertroid, they scrapped the horrendous Walter Mitty “Royal Marines Commando” logo.

I also have the original Ray Mears, and the 20 year old one has a better crystal, more domed and better anti-reflective coatings. This finish on the original is also a bit better and “duratech” so probably harder. The numbers are also sharper on the old one, new ones are ever so slightly squashed. Older is 200m compared to 300m.

However, its a very close re-issue.
    20 years old version from the web.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hamtun H2 (Ti diver with nice lume) went live on Kickstarter last night. I missed out on the 199 price point but just hit order in at 239 which is still decent I reckon.

Have a look. Not due to be sent until Aug / Sept though.

tthew

That Hamtun is very smart. Bookmarked for later, (probably not very much later) I really need to stop following this thread.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I know – there’s a white and a black dial initally and if there’s enough interest theres also a blue dialled version. Not sure which I’ll go for. 100 quid “upgrade” also gets you a Swiss Sellita movement of the Seiko NH35 (but you really cant go wrong with the nh35). Oh and sign up for their email as you get 10% off.

https://hamtun.co?rfsn=2204697.cf028d

I don’t need it, but I have been keeping my eyes on the Steinhart Ocean One Ti which is a good $800 so I’ll just wait until September and this will do the job nicely.

If anyone is keen on the Helm watches, the Khuruburi and Komodo will be out towards the end of March and the Vanuate should be available early April

tthew

A white or blue diver, plus my dressier (but not dead formal, that’s not really my thing) black face Carrera would be all the watches ever needed I think.

plyphon
    Free Member

would be all the watches ever needed I think.

C’mon now mate you’re only lying to yourself.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Latest Tudor teaser is close as announcement of a new sub coming for Basel!

And I may have a lead on a Hulk…a half chance.

bennn
    Free Member

Interesting regarding Tudor Neil I’ve been drooling over their ‘Heritage Black Bay’ for a little while now. Been hanging on to see what happens at Basel though..

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Anyone know of an independent in Glasgow/Ayrshire? Need a new battery for an Omega.

stevemorg2

I’m looking for a Seiko 007 as an everyday watch – eBay ones seem to go for almost new prices and with duty Creation are no cheaper. Doe anyone know any dealers who sell s/h Seiko 007 or similar?

neilnevill
    Free Member

tudor teaser

neilnevill
    Free Member

if you zoom in and lighten it, the bezel edge is visible and its a bevelled sub bezel

CountZero

That Hamtung Kraken is gorgeous!
    I do not need another watch, I do not need another watch, I do not need another watch…

bennn
    Free Member

Oo interesting.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@ Wally, cheers!

Might get mine serviced and it’ll do another 20 years! Can’t find the original strap for it though 😣

neilnevill
    Free Member

I had stuff I needed to do today so took the afternoon off work, and before heading off to my appointment I had time to walk from work through the West end. My Rolex experiment continued. Aspreys on new bond st first. ‘No sir you won’t get one.’. I understand they are in short supply, can I perhaps express an interest? ‘ no so you can’t, no, no there’s no way you’ll get one, bye.’. It felt blunt to the point of rude and I was surprised they didn’t try to see if they could sell me something else but no they seemed uninterested. So I walked to Pragnells on mount st. Very different experience, friendly, offered a drink so I had a cuppa. No promises but gave me the impression they could do something and maybe by my birthday (7-8 weeks away). Probably a bit unlikely but they were friendly. I was asking about a GMT, black bezel. The rep got out a just in but not collected bimetal sub to let me try for size and answered my questions about the glide lock clasp. Even let me take a snap of it on the wrist. I then asked about white dialed oyster perpetuals, no white in but he fetched a champagne dialed 36mm and 39mm to try on. They wear smaller than I’d expected. All in all a pleasant 30 mins and I’d go back to Pragnells to spend money, I’ll avoid asprey!

Oh and the Pragnells guy said they hadn’t had a black bezel GMT for a while which has set him thinking it’s possibly going to be discontinued at Basel. He said otherwise they get them ‘most weeks’. Either they get a heck of a lot or that’s a bit of a stretch I suspect.

CountZero

If you cannot read this one, you really do need to put the beer down.

There’s always Specsavers… 😬

scratch
    Free Member

FS! I was split between a Seiko Prospex or Presage for my b’day (39th, just gone) now due to this thread, I’m split between a Seiko SBGV205 or Omega Mark 2 for my 40th

Classic Singletrack…

I’m currently leaning towards the Seiko as both me and the watch geek at work are fans, but the orange Mark 2 is a bit nice. I guess I’ve got a year to make my mind up.

Thing is, I’ll probably revert back to a Presage as although I could just about afford one of the nicer choices, I couldn’t imagine walking around with that much spend on my wrist…plus I could go to Tokyo, find some weird local only Seiko, and have a cool holiday for the same cost.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 8,690 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.