Viewing 40 posts - 6,641 through 6,680 (of 8,684 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • geolog
    Free Member

Love it Blazin. Tried one on a while back in the factory sailcloth type strap which looked good to me. I’m not a fan of strap accents – let the dial/GMT do the talking!

neilnevill
    Free Member

I think black sail cloth with yellow stitching would suit well. Definitely wants a strap of assume kind with that bezel or it seems ‘too metal ‘

Kato

Ah a BB Pro. Lovely

I’ve no regrets selling my GMT as it was a chunky monkey but I do like the dial and handset on these much better.   Was pretty much decided on a Ranger for my next watch but I might have to have a closer look at these now

midlifecrashes

A little splash of colour for the summer just arrived in the post. A dinky 40.5mm says 90s and in lovely nick on the original brushed/polished stainless bracelet.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

@midlife 👍

johnhe

I have a Tissot SeaStar that I’m generally very happy with. But I’ve always liked the Pepsi look. Does anyone know if getting a customised two colour replacement bezel is a ‘thing’? Any recommendations about where to source such a thing. And any idea of the ball-park cost?

New Tissot

mmcd

Has anyone experience with Ochs und Junior watches, quite tempted by a moon phase.

ctk
    Free Member
    chipps

Longtime lurker, infrequent poster on here… 😉
    OK, so I’ve just sold my house in Todmorden and before the cash gets put into something sensible, like savings or kitchens (don’t worry, there’s at least one bike on the shopping list…) I was wondering about a new watch while I have the daydreaming space…
    I have several nice (but not mega expensive) watches: a Stowa Verus, Archimede Pilot 39, an old Seiko diver, couple of Seiko 5s, a Singletrack Elliot Brown, a Mondaine and a ’60s Tudor dress watch that was my grandad’s.
    Requirements – not massive or mega heavy. I have tiny wrists and 40mm is about as big as I go. Something legible, with good lume. I appear to like Pilot style watches, though I’ve had a couple of Steinhart Submariner styles. It’ll get used as a daily wearer, though probably not taken mountain biking…

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I think I’ve missed the boat on getting an IWC MK XVIII or Tag Monaco as a posh watch, as they seem to be silly money.</span>

Some on my list:
    Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT , Archimede Pilot 200  Tudor Ranger Sinn 856

Suggestions, and I know that this is asking for trouble, welcome! 🙂

airvent
    Free Member

Traska or Damasko?

neilnevill
    Free Member

The 39mm tudor pelagos is easily available now, excellent serious tool watch

CountZero

Just coming up on a month since I set the SPORK, and it’s currently 42 seconds fast; I think I can live with that… 😉

CountZero

@Fudd – thinking about Tunas, tbh, a MarineMaster 300 is probably my preferred choice, I’m not bothered about the shroud, but I really like the handset on the MM300, I’ve never really liked the arrowhead handset on most of the Seiko sports watches. I’ve got my eye on one at the moment – it’d make quite a nice birthday present for me…

nicko74

Requirements – not massive or mega heavy. I have tiny wrists and 40mm is about as big as I go. Something legible, with good lume. I appear to like Pilot style watches, though I’ve had a couple of Steinhart Submariner styles. It’ll get used as a daily wearer, though probably not taken mountain biking…

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I think I’ve missed the boat on getting an IWC MK XVIII or Tag Monaco as a posh watch, as they seem to be silly money.</span>

Some on my list:
    Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT , Archimede Pilot 200 Tudor Ranger Sinn 856…

Suggestions, and I know that this is asking for trouble, welcome! 🙂

😀 even Chipps can’t get the formatting on this forum to work properly! 😉

Obviously I can only suggest things I’ve actually looked at or worn, but those are some quite different watches.
    Personally of those the Sinn speaks to me most, as it’s a classic Sinn design that could feasibly be both daily ‘go anywhere/ do anything’ and slightly more formal shirt/ collar type watch. Sinn’s build quality and customer service are both excellent; it has 200mm WR and so on. I have a U50 SDR (black bezel) that’s Tegimented and after a year of daily wear it’s absolutely unmarked. The big challenge is not being able to try it on because they’re online only!
    I’ve never really felt inspired by the Tudor Ranger, but I’m sure you’ve checked out things like the Hamilton Khaki which are somewhat similar in the field watch kinda space. Tudor definitely has the brand cachet, and a decent enough movement too, with enough power reserve to take it off Friday and put it back on Monday morning.

The Steinhart looks like it’s a bit chunkier – specs say 13mm, compared to the 11mm of the Sinn, which doesn’t sound like much but will probably feel different on the wrist.

RustyNissanPrairie

@chipps

I’m looking for a similar field/tool watch. A couple that are on my short list are

Oris Propilot date (day and date is a bit bigger)
    Fortis F39 or F41 (size in mm) – available in nice colour highlights or plain.

NCC

Almost as long time a lurker as Chipps and definitely less frequent poster here!

Out of your current list, I’d be very tempted by the Sinn. It’s an absolute classic.

As a bit of a Tudor fanboy, I’d recommend trying on the Ranger. We have the same wrist size and a similar taste in watches. I found it pretty uninspiring in the flesh and to me it just didn’t sit quite right. You’d be better off with a Timefactors Everest, if you could actually buy one! The 39mm Pelegos and new BB54 are lovely though. In fact, had the 54 been available when I got my 58, I’d have struggled to choose between them.

Kamakazie

I really like what Fortis are doing, the F39 is a lovely modern take on the pilot / field watch.
    Don’t see many about which is unfortunate for someone that likes to purchase second hand 🙁

Kato

I have a lot of love for the Tudor Ranger, keep looking at other things but keep going back to it.  Might have to buy one….

airvent
    Free Member

Now is probably the time, this is probably the lowest Tudor prices will be going forward I can only see them going up by a few hundred per model every year…

In other words do it!

chipps

‘You’d be better off with a Timefactors Everest, if you could actually buy one!’ – Got one already, thanks 🙂

Kato

@airvent I’ve not long bought a sapphire Speedy.  Wife would go mad.

Wally

Chipps, your best bet is to join TZ-UK forums and wait, post a bit and and look at classifieds. Everything and anything pops up, often left field stuff, for example two Muhle Glashutte SARs have recently appeared. Get something you cannot get in your local shopping mall.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve been following this thread since the start and haven’t seen a single mention
    of Raymond Weil watches.

Is there no love for a brand that offers such value as a quartz chronograph for £1300?

Pah!

CountZero

This turned up on Flipboard earlier today, and I instantly thought of Chipps. Classic make going back decades, and not a daft price either: https://uncrate.com/timex-expedition-north-titanium/

Just checked my SPORK and after a month of wearing it after setting it it’s 41 seconds fast, which impresses the heck out of me. When I first bought it, it was gaining over a minute a week, so I gave it to my mate to tweak, because as a goldsmith he’s always getting watches in for adjustment to or fixing bracelets, or fit batteries, but it ended up slow by the same, if not more. He suggested I get a caseback tool and do it myself, which is where I discovered just how little margin for error there is when adjusting Seikos!
    That was ten years or so ago, and I’ve not really worn it much over the years because I was reluctant to wear it to work, and risk damaging it. Now I’m no longer working, I’m wearing it all the time, and that consistency seems to be showing in its timekeeping. 😎

neilnevill
    Free Member

@chipps currently on tz-uk sales Corner.

Time factors orange Caribbean £400

Sinn 356 Sa Pilot II Copper Dial £1600

Various belstaff jackets, stone island shirts, a holiday in the lakes, a couple of cars….

Hamilton Broadway chrono £875

A Willand from 1972

Sinn 158 Bicompax/Bundeswehr £1550

A fifty fathoms at over £10k

It’s quite a mix. Send me a pm if you like the sound of any of the watches. Theoretically I can’t buy for a non member, but..

chipps

Turns out I have an old Timefactors login, but I guess I’ve not posted enough to be able to see the Classifieds (that’s how I thought it worked, anyway…) Thanks for the tipoffs, @neilnevill ! Is the Caribbean the PRS-55? (The one that originally sold for £385?)

I forgot to mention on my want/not want list – I’m not a fan of stopwatches and sub dials, tourbillons and skeleton movements. I guess I have a pretty straight-laced view of watches, eh? 😉

neilnevill
    Free Member

Too slow, the Smith’s Caribbean is now marked as ‘SOLD’

It was…
    Smiths Caribbean 1000 Orange – Full Set
    For sale is my Smiths Caribbean 1000 in orange. It’s from September 2021 so has four months of warranty remaining.

Full set including unused orange tropic rubber. It’s in amazing condition with no marks I can see anywhere apart from the lightest of swirls on the clasp. I’ll stick my neck out and say you’ll struggle to find a better one.

I’d like £400 please which includes RMSD.

Thanks.

Patel philippe calatrava….gshocks….free tele…. its all there. Oddly, no tricker boots currently.

chipps

Ha! Thanks for the ‘Here’s what you could have won’ post 😉

chipps

I did notice that the Smiths/Timefactors watches mostly seem to have Miyota movements, which to me sound like the cheapest things when they self-wind. You move your wrist and there’s a cheap and fizzy spinning noise. Seems at odds with the nice watches they come in.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Hahaha! Yes sorry about that! They do have miyota inside yes. I agree it’s a cheap movement. It’s generally better than a cheap seiko though, but yes it’s not a sellita or eta and at £400+ I’d like to see those movements.

w00dster

Anyone know how you can purchase the Time Factors watches without going via an eBay schalper?
    I’d like to try and get hold of the Commando but don’t know what the process is.

I know I have very little chance, but would like to try.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Register on the shop site and enter all your details. Look out for when the ship msgop next opens. Be ready and very quick.

Kryton57

Something like this would be nice @chipps 😉

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/watch/H3C267

johnners
    Free Member

I’d like to try and get hold of the Commando but don’t know what the process is.

I know I have very little chance, but would like to try.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. As said, sign up to the newsletter and be hovering on the website when it opens!
    Usually only 1 or 2 models go on sale at a time so it’s just a question of waiting for the one you’re after, I believe the Commando will be on sale again later this year.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I believe its important to ensure your payment details are all entered and ready on your account so the check out process is just a few clicks, or else you are likely to be too slow and miss out.

w00dster

Thanks for the info everyone regarding Timefactors. I was sat there refreshing the screen every few minutes and bang on 2pm I’ve ordered a Commander.

SMITHS COMMANDER – PRS-60

I was going to order the Commando as this is more the style that I haven’t got in my collection. It’s almost perfect apart from the writing Commando on the dial. As a former soldier who wasn’t a Commando and is best mates with one who was….I’d just get the proverbial ripped out of me! So the Commander it is.

SMITHS COMMANDO PRS-47

The Store closed minutes after being open. I wanted to buy a second watch but thought I’d just progress the first order while i was mulling over what Speedbird I wanted….so will have to wait for the next store opening date.

Regarding the Commander I did buy, it’s very similar to my BB58, so will be going on a different strap. Any thoughts to some options for what may look good with it? I don’t have any NATO’s, but not sure if that would suit a NATO? Brown leather maybe?

LAT

Suggestions, and I know that this is asking for trouble, welcome!

i really like the look of the silver tudor BB36. the Sinn 556 is also a looker.

Kryton57

So I sold the Hamilton and with half of the proceeds I bought a Glycine:

It may not be THE famous Airman but I like the small hands GMT complication and locking bezel. Such good quality for what I paid, sapphire with loads of ‘flecto, 200m, 316, good lume and a tiny piece of Glycine history.

The curvature of the lugs just work for me and it wears a lot flatter than a 13mm watch should IMO. Nice strap too, soft out of the box.

CountZero

Anyway, yesterday a new watch release turned up through Flipboard, which caught my attention:

https://monochrome-watches.com/introducing-yema-alpine-endurance-team-24h-le-mans-rallygraf-a470-limited-edition-specs-price/

Ooo, I thought, that’s rather nice, and it’s a proper mechanical with an ETA Valjoux 7734 movement. I’ve already got a Rallygraf, I don’t need another one…

Guess what’s arriving in September.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,641 through 6,680 (of 8,684 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.