Viewing 40 posts - 6,561 through 6,600 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • beanum

@Kryton – If I was passing that jewellers I’d ask to see the Rado, just so I could sort that misaligned bezel out…:-)

Kryton57

I know, it’s a crime isn’t it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

@Kryton57 that’s a decent discount on the green I think. You can currently get the brown for £1890 from Francis and gaye but I think the green isn’t discounted often/ as much.
    Ah my firend….for you, for you, very best price! 😉 I could do £1550. Tbf, if the green is the one then I’m guessing neither the the brown nor the blue will give you ‘the fizz’. Although it sounds like the green isn’t quite either.

Robz
    Free Member

That green/bronze Rado can be had from Ernest Jones for £1836 with extra discount code if bought tonight.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Good deal! You may be able to slap an extra saving with topcashback there too I think.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Francis & Gaye are doing the stainless, blue Captain Cook for £1575

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I got the Trafford Centre inflicted on me today. Went into the Omega store to look at a 38mm Aqua Terra. No way I’m paying RRP for one, (£6k+!) but thought I might have a try on.

you did well to get in! I went to go the the Omega store in San Francisco today only to have the door closed and locked in front of me, no walk in – appointment only. Who do they think they are, Rolex?

Anyone have any thoughts on the Ceramic Rado cook line? Seem to be on good deals here, especially if I ‘lose’ the box and wear it home…

igm

only to have the door closed and locked in front of me, no walk in – appointment only.

That’s another reason to move to internet shopping. Return it if you don’t like it.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

any thoughts on the Ceramic Rado cook line?

The olive on rubber has just rocketed up my wish list. Also, the hyperchrome utc has a Longines Spirit GMT feel without the ***** employee of the week vibe.

Kryton57

Talking of Olive, does anyone have a Spinnaker watch? I quite the new Boettger limited editions and have a 20% discount code. Its looks of course get compared to a Sinn 809

Boettger

I like the Dark Olive.

ross980
    Free Member

have a Seiko Prospex with a knackered 4R35B movement. It’s a Japan made watch, but I can only assume the QC was a bit off as there is dust/lume under the glass. The watch was pretty cheap grey import from Creation (which may explain the previous sentence). Seiko prices have shot up since I got it, so I’m considering whether it’s worth bringing it back to life and swapping the strap. I CBA (and would probably mess up) replacing the movement myself . I’d also want the watch face cleaning and if possible a new glass (upgraded to sapphire if poss). Any idea on if this is possible and where/how much?
    Pic

Futureboy77

@ross980 maybe give Paul at Tempus Watch Mods a shout. He’s very reasonable and would clean the face as part of the movement swap. Ball park price for a sapphire crystal is £30-£40 and about £55 for a NH35 movement.

ross980
    Free Member

Thanks @Futureboy77. I’ve messaged him. I like the watch so if that’s the ballpark price I’d go for it.
    Then I get to choose a new strap…

Futureboy77

@ross980 nice one bud.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Blazin, Rado have a strong history for using ceramics, its sort of their thing. So I would imagine they are well executed.

bungle

Another DUFA for the collection. Aalto Auto, steel Miyota Automatic with Power Reserve with Day, Date and Month, 40mm.  This is the white one though face looks a very pale grey, blue hands, black seconds. Same movement as that lovely green Spinnaker Boetger!

Kato

Those olive Captain Cooks are fab!

Kryton57

Where are you seeing the Olive captian cooks? F&G have a brown onw but I can’t see an Olive one?

that lovely green Spinnaker Boetger

Jnr left the house keys on the bus tonight, hence the remaining watch fund will go to a locksmith.

Kryton57

I’d go go via Jura (they are the same store) there’s a 10% off tab bottom left https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/products/rado-watch-captain-cook-high-tech-ceramic-diver-r32130318

It looks brown to me but as I’m in the minority I’ll assume that’s my eyes…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Sellors is Jura, no?

I wasn’t looking to buy from them, I’m in the US at mo and Macy’s (of all places) had 25% off Rado at weekend. They are Green not brown, but I procrastinated for too long and the sale ended.

JAG

I know this thread is about the aesthetics of watches and watch ownership but has anyone else watched any of the YouTube content from “Wristwatch Revival”?

There are some really interesting, if slightly long, videos. Soothing and therapeutic to watch – hahahahahaha ;o)

Harry_the_Spider

Damn this thread!

I fancy a “Pepsi” diver’s watch on a rubber strap. Would prefer quartz to automatic to avoid servicing costs and I’m not that bothered about the movement. Would like the date too as my latest doesn’t have it and I miss it.

Budget would be low three figures rather than thousands.

Any thoughts?

Harry_the_Spider

Oh, hello…

!

bungle

@harry_the_spider

Citizen Men’s Promaster Diver Eco-Drive Pepsi Blue Dial Blue Polyurethane Strap
    BN0168-06L

Not automatic but solar-powered so no battery

£270-ish

Edit: You may regret that Casio

Kryton57

You may regret that Casio

Its a Casio Duro, a very highly rated quartz Diver. Harry go and watch todays JOMW video – he links to a website full of quartz Glycine Combat Subs currently at about £150 delivered. There’s a Pepsi bezel on the page.

CountZero

Would prefer quartz to automatic to avoid servicing costs and I’m not that bothered about the movement.

TBH, it’s unlikely that most automatic watches would require a service any time within the first decade at least, and certainly with the mass-market Seikos, it would be cheaper to just buy another movement and get them swapped out. Different with an old watch with a history, like my Yema. My SPORK is somewhere around thirteen years old, and I’m not even thinking about servicing for probably another ten years.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks. My comment about automatics is based on my Seamaster (that I’m wearing right now). Much as I love it I don’t want another watch that has a big servicing bill. Interested to hear about the service intervals on Seikos/SPORK etc.

You may regret that Casio

Expand please?

kilo

Is this Pepsi enough? I’ve got a normal one as a beater – good watch

Seiko Watch Prospex Tuna PADI Mens

pisco

Casio Duro: if it’s good enough for Bill Gates ..

Kryton57

Is this Pepsi enough?

I’d go a bit further and buy a Arnie re-issue, the 2019 although the Pepsi is not what Arnie wore. There’s so much hatred for the latest version they are starting to get a bit of status and might be good to have in the collection.

I’d be tempted to get this one from Jura using their standard 10% code. https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/products/seiko-watch-prospex-padi-divers-solar-hybrid-pepsi-snj027p1

Solar, no servicing costs as long as the module lives, becoming collectible/reputable, Diver, with the added functions of the Didgi.

Harry_the_Spider

Well it if its good enough for Bill Gates and with the added bonus of stealth 5G I even more tempted.

Not sure about the Seikos. The face to surface are ratio looks a bit off to me. Each to their own though.

Kryton57

Using the discount code I spent my Premium Bonds winnings on a toy:

You may remember I sent the prior “Utility” on a canvas strap back, and I’ve regretted it. Almost buying one again, I remember the second keeper is a loose arrangement which means the strap flops out, and decide on this ostentatious thing to better highlight a metal Casioak in all its detail, with the added advantage of non flappy plastic strap.

I also think this is the perfect watch for a City Centre break – Rome for me soon – as I’m unlikely to get robbed of it and if I do, there’s no emotional attachment.

…is my justification (ROFL)

Futureboy77

Interested to hear about the service intervals on Seikos/SPORK etc.

Seiko recommend 2-3 years. Personally, I would just replace the movement once it stopped working.

“Periodic inspection and adjustment by disassembly and cleaning (overhaul) is recommended approximately once every 2 to 3 years in order to maintain optimal performance of the watch for a longtime.” -Seiko

Harry_the_Spider

Seiko recommend 2-3 years. Personally, I would just replace the movement once it stopped working.

Which is why I’m averse.

Give me a cheap(ish) Casio with a battery over a cheap(ish) automatic that will cost if you want to keep it running. I have a nice expensive watch, this is just for everyday wear and will go in rotation with the 7 or 8 other everyday wear watches. I just like the colour of the bezel.

SSS
    Free Member

My quartz Omega SMP 300 is about 12 years old, and this year started to go wonky, it was pulsating/stuck on a particular second without moving forward. Even with a new battery.
    I assumed quartz never needed serviced… I got 12 years out of mine.
    It was sorted/serviced by Steven at Calibre recently.

Kryton57

Which is why I’m averse.

Just like fox forks, they don’t NEED to be serviced according to the manufacturers recommendation.

Fudd
    Free Member

Futureboy77
    Interested to hear about the service intervals on Seikos/SPORK etc

Similar to every other mechanical watch – six to eight years is when the timekeeping will start to change and the amplitude drops, maybe four if you’re unlucky and got a ‘Friday afternoon’ watch but you might not notice it unless you own a timegrapher. After ten years the oils will start drying up and you’re risking a parts bill on top of the servicing cost when you do eventually service it.

In the case of Seiko they can be poorly assembled and regulated from new and so the timekeeping might even improve as it gets older, but at least they’re cheap and you can just put a mew movement in for less than what a good watchmaker would charge to service the old movement.

Just like fox forks, they don’t NEED to be serviced according to the manufacturers recommendation.

Or just like a car, you can drive it for 50k miles without servicing and it’ll still get you from A to B and you probably won’t notice the gradual drop off in performance, but I’d rather service mine every year than save a few quid before eventually getting a bill for an engine rebuild.

bungle

@harry_the_spider

Expand please?

You asked for a pepsi for a lowish 3 figures. I assumed something decent and recommended an eco-drive…. If you want a cheap watch for bike use the Casio is fine but lots better for your spec price

Do many people on here actually get sub-£1k watches serviced? Seiko Prospex and the like. Vintage and sentimental-value items obviously excepted.

Also, for automatics in a collection: if only work occasionally how much actual wear do they get? Lubricants may deteriorate but if the moving parts ain’t moving?

Viewing 40 posts - 6,561 through 6,600 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.