• This topic has 8,686 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by Kryton57.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,721 through 5,760 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • RustyNissanPrairie

I like the 5 GMT’s (I’m a Seiko skx beater wearer) but personally I’m not keen on the orange – I prefer the ‘batman’ blue/black version.

Bregante

I’ve been reading this thread for the past year or so but in all honesty have never had any funds to splurge on anything ‘nice’.

Until today I’ve only ever owned one watch at a time. Currently a Garmin Instinct which I really like for work and running/biking. It never leaves the wrist but is just too bulky and not very smart for the very odd occasion when I need to wear a shirt.

I changed roles at work a few months ago after 12 years on a great team and the daft buggers had a bit of a collection for me. Being a boring sod they bunged a decent amount of cash in an envelope and told me to get something nice. I’ve resisted blowing it on bike bits and have been on the lookout for a slightly dressier watch. I didn’t fancy a new ‘homage’ watch and have been keeping an eye on eBay. Over the weekend I spotted this rather nice Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic which took my fancy.

It arrived today and I’m absolutely delighted with it. The photos don’t do it justice. It may not be up there with some of the fine watches others have posted and it needs a new startup but for a decent but not huge amount of cash I’m just so made up and every time I wear it I’ll remember the best team I’ve ever worked with.

RustyNissanPrairie

@Bregante – nice watch, it’s inspired me to post some pictures of my grandads watch that was bought by his workmates.

To anyone who knows the Ramsbottom area – Fletcher Bank is the original name for Marshall’s quarry in Shuttleworth/ Peel Brow where Tommy Wynne aka ‘Pop’ worked. The watch was a long service award.

The marks on the back are from Pop – he was a proper tinkerer and would have no doubt prised the back off and had a mess about with it. When he died I asked for his equally as old Raleigh Superbe bike and this watch. My wife bought the strap from a jewellers in Edinburgh and I wore it when we were married 17years ago. I had it serviced but asked them to leave the water damage on the face, it still keeps time fairly well although I only wear it on special occasions.

download upload host

neilnevill
    Free Member

That is a lovely thing and a lovely story too! Cracking!

Kryton57

@Bregante that looks lovely, I really like the detail on the dial and the swoopy lug-case-lug from the view you’ve posted. I looked at on the website and the polished side really make it look much more expensive than it is – very nice! An an 80hr power reserve on a technical at that price too.

Cool story RNP, love that.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Love the jazzmaster, looks perfect for a smart dress watch without being over the top.

walowiz

Nice watch and story @RustyNissanPrairie

@Bregante
    that Hamilton Jazzmaster is one lovely smart looking timepiece.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I like that Bregante. Smart, clean lines and I do like white dial.

Whilst browsing on-line dealers, I came across this image:

Where is the SWISS MADE on this example? Odd.

tthew

Jazzmaster?

(c’mon, someone had to).

Quick google suggests they Quartz version, which likely accounts for the lack of Swiss Made branding.

Kryton57

I prefer the ‘batman’ blue/black version.

Its referred to as the Blueberry don’t you know… 😀

Robz
    Free Member

My recent obsession with watches has led me down the path of Seiko modding.

So picked this SKX007J up from eBay this week. It’s in immaculate condition and just been serviced. The jubilee band it came on was cheap and horrible though so I swapped it out for a Bond NATO.

I’m pretty chuffed with it.

Saccades
    Free Member

Quite liked this, dirt cheap (£60) and the strap is surprisingly nice.

Any interest in pocket watches?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

That’s nice. It’d look good on a leather strap too. Maybe a dark red or dark blue racer style one.

CountZero

This new Elliot Brown with a very unusual timing complication might be of interest to a few on here…

https://www.t3.com/news/the-new-elliot-brown-beachmaster-has-a-very-unusual-timing-complication

chewkw
    Free Member

So picked this SKX007J up from eBay this week.

Nice Seiko. Original metal strap is nice with that model.

Quite liked this, dirt cheap (£60) and the strap is surprisingly nice.

I like that combination especially strap.

Kryton57

Thats is interesting @countzero. On a similar theme, Christopher Wards new Acoustic watch:

https://www.christopherward.com/loupe-magazine/article?cid=c1-bel-canto-the-chime-is-now

Bregante

Thanks for the comments on the jazzmaster. I’m still really pleased with it. I’ve binned of the cheap silicone strap it was on in favour of a (equally cheap) dark brown leather number just to see which suits it best.

CountZero

I know that the subject of straps pops up regularly here, this article by Fratello Watches might give some ideas.

#TBT Meet WatchStrapHeaven, My New Discovery For Your Vintage Watches

CountZero

@Robz – being slightly pedantic here, but that ‘James Bond’ NATO isn’t a real ‘James Bond’ colour. In an example of mis-identifying, because of poor quality video, people assumed it was black with grey stripes. It was only when the first Bond film was re-mastered, and James Bond watch obsessives looked closely, it was noticed that the strap was actually dark blue with olive green stripes, and thin red borders to the green stripes. It’s the strap on one of my Heimdallr watches I posted a page or so back. It’s also not like a modern NATO, it doesn’t have the separate safety strap, or the steel keepers, the keepers are nylon like the strap. In fact, the Rolex that Connery is wearing was Cubby Broccoli’s personal watch, and the strap was actually a bit too narrow for the watch!

Kryton57

but that ‘James Bond’ NATO isn’t a real ‘James Bond’ colour.

Continuing on the pedant theme, it is “Bond” per se though, isn’t it? IIRC the black/ grey is the Craig Omega colour, but the original Connery is the red/black/grey or khaki regimental on Rolex colours.

I may be wrong and am happy to be corrected…?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I believe you are correct kryton.

Robz
    Free Member

🤷‍♂️

The other/original Bond colour looks good too

Alex

Well Torgeon Planet-X pricing finally dragged me in. At 40% off it just came into the budget

I spent ages deciding if I wanted in black or blue and 44 or 41mm. Since my Fenix is 47 and pretty chunky and I have old eyes, I went 44mm.

Been dithering for ages, so hopefully I’ll enjoy it when it turns up!

dmorts

Can anyone recommend someone to do some work with a couple of Seikos? Both need regulating and I swapped the bezel on the SKX007 but can’t refit it!

Ideally local to Edinburgh or someone I can post them to

jp-t853

I recently posted a picture of a Casio digital watch from 1980. I have a three watch policy. The two keepers are a Rolex Oysterdate and a G-Shock 5610 and the 1980 Casio was the current rotation watch.

Below is my Oysterdate and I found the receipt at the weekend, time travel would be a nice thing when it comes to Rolex’s. It is a 1962 watch so 60 years this year, I have had it for more than half of its life now.

The bracelet is a replacement from Raffles Dials as the original rivet bracelet is starting to stretch so I have put that away in a box. I can see a point in the future when the bracelet will be worth more than the watch. The raffles bracelet is amazing quality and actually makes the watch look better than it did as it is more chunky now so it brings this 34mm watch up to date. I am so glad they make these as Oysterdates never look right on a strap.

Watch 1

Watch 2

sas78

A “Raffles” strap on a watch purchased in Carlisle, hmm… 🤣

Beautiful watch and strap: a real bobby dazzler.

jp-t853

I forgot about the raffles estate link

johnners
    Free Member

Love the Oysterdate, and I think it looks a bit more than 34mm on the wrist.

I’d be happy to give you £280 for it, go on, you’d be quids in. Especially since I’m willing to overlook depreciation…

BTW, I remember your Casio, was it NOS? Because I’ve got one I’ve had from about 1980 and it’s definitely not looking as pristine as that one!

jp-t853

I will have a think about the £280 offer. On one hand it has appreciated nicely but I remember I could have had an Explorer for £300 so I try not to look at vintage explorer prices now. It was a present from my Grandad, I preferred the look at the Explorer but I felt guilty enough accepting such a gift so went for the cheaper one 🙂

The casio is used, it has a bit of damage on the bracelet from a hamfisted repair but otherwise looks really nice.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh wow! To both the watch and the way prices have changed.

monkeyboyjc

I didn’t win the Hamilton x-01 that was on eBay, it went for £730! Which is about double what I’ve seen them go for in the past….

One in the US, not a nice, went for over $1k the next day…..

thepurist

LOL at the oysterdate – think I bought my sub about 5 years later and even then it was a chunk more than 280, though in those days I just walked into the AD, tried it on (twice – tried it on my wrist then “tried it on” by asking for a discount for cash – which they gave!) then walked out. Doubt that’s a common experience now.

bob_summers

Liking the Oysterdate. 34mm is my sweet spot I think – I’ve got a 1007 from ’63, also on a raffles bracelet for the same reason. Looks briefly tiny after wearing a 42mm chrono for a while but I prefer the size.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Anyone interested in a YEMA Superman French Air Force Black 38mm, quartz movement?

We bought this in November 2021 as a gift for my father in law, but it wasn’t to his taste and we never got round to sending it back. It’s been partly ‘destickered’ to let him try it on, then put back in the soft case. Comes with the accompanying booklet, and guarantee card which is dated 3/11/2021, so has approximately 1 year left on the manufacturer’s warranty. Looking for £200 posted in the UK, and happy to provide more images if anyone’s interested. I did consider keeping it myself, but I have fairly chunky wrists, and something this size tends to look a little ‘lost’ on me.

YEMA Superman

Image not working!

Scapegoat

Oh wow! To both the watch and the way prices have changed.

I inherited my Dad’s Omega Constellation Chronometer- gold plated on a beads of rice bracelet. Its serial number says it’s a 1967, and I remember he bought it when his Mum died in 1970. I’ve got the original box, certificates and receipt. He paid £72.00 for it.

Kryton57

Thats amazing @scapegoat! Would you be able to post a picture at all? I’d love to see that.

Scapegoat

@kryton57 Sure, just fighting my way through the process of uploading photos.

Looks like I was fibbing. The receipt actually shows he only paid £70 for it.

TheFlyingOx

Very slightly off-topic, maybe:

What’s the general consensus on automatic watches being stowed away for a few years? I’m contemplating purchasing a birth-year watch for FlyingOxJrs #1 and #2 but if I do the plan would be to stash them in a safe until their 18th birthdays, both of which are a long way away yet. Is that likely to do any harm to the movement? Would I be looking at a megabucks service to get them back in working order? Would I be better off getting a watch winder for each one?

DougD

Can anyone recommend someone to do some work with a couple of Seikos? Both need regulating and I swapped the bezel on the SKX007 but can’t refit it!

Ideally local to Edinburgh or someone I can post them to

I’d give Calibre a call and see if they can assist. Based in Dundee but they post you out a box for you to send the watch back in which includes all the necessary insurance. https://calibrewatchrepair.com/

They’ve been mentioned a few times in this thread I think, and I got my Tag serviced with them earlier this year and they were great.

SSS
    Free Member

@Dmorts second @DougD suggestion. Got my Omega SMP300 and Rolex Speedking back a few weeks ago from Calibre. Service for the Omega, refurb for the Speedking. Top service

@TheFlyingOx
    ive read choose your poison. Use a watch winder and ‘wear out’ the movement requiring a service, or store and the movement lubricant ‘hardens’ requiring a service. Catch 22.
    FWIW i go down the ‘store it, not use it route’ (i dont have a watch winder)
    FYI My recent services were £450 (Submariner), £160 (SMP300 Quartz) and £240 (Speedking refurb).

Viewing 40 posts - 5,721 through 5,760 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.