Viewing 40 posts - 5,481 through 5,520 (of 8,689 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • gaidong
    Free Member

Ello. I tried on the Pelagos 39 yesterday. The sunburst dial and bezel are strikingly so. No way I’d buy that. Size was nice though, diameter and especially thickness, but I’ll stick to my full fat Pelagos blue 42!

Nobby

My Geckota Sea Hunter arrived today and I’m ready quite impressed.

Edit: Shame I can’t seem to post photos

Nobby

cb200
    Free Member

Nobby

Thanks!

cb200
    Free Member

you’re welcome. It’s a lovely looking watch – I love the shape of the hands and the colour of the bezel

Kryton57

Thats a lovely’ Gecko – an auto right? Which movement, the PT5000? I’m really liking mine, for which I stole the Nato idea from the chap a few pages back (apologies, but at least you now know how it looks before you buy one!)

IMG_3243

The diver is an earlier Gen and I think Nobby your lume will be far better, mines a bit woeful but the GMT – a later model – is a big improvement.

I’m soon to be selling Tissot Supersport chrono TDF if any one wants it before the classifieds, with additional black/creme stitching barton strap.and original box. This one.

Nobby

@Kryton57 Yeah, it’s the PT5000.

It really does have the look & feel of something considerably more expensive & I’ve had positive comments from the guys at work (it’s intended to be my ‘office’ witch). Even the chap who took a few links out commented so I’ll take that as a positive!

I wasn’t really looking for anything but I did have a bit of a clear out at the start of the pandemic and, well, you know…..

Wish I knew how to take a decent close up with an iPhone 13

neilnevill
    Free Member

Gaidong, phew! I am confident is be happy to stick with mine but somehow it’s nice to hear others say the same

Bucherer had some Oris divers at half RRP last week (all gone now). Apparently John Lewis have dropped Oris and somehow bucherer got the stock. I’m slightly kicking myself for not jumping quick enough and getting a green or a be silver dialed aquis. If I’d had buyer’s remorse I could have flipped it for a small profit probably! Idiot.

nicko74

gaidong
    Free Member
    Ello. I tried on the Pelagos 39 yesterday. The sunburst dial and bezel are strikingly so. No way I’d buy that

How come? Because the dial and bezel are a bit much?
    I mean obviously if you already have a full-fat Pelagos it’s probably more a case of how it compares to that rather than necessarily taking it on its own merits…

nicko74

JonEdwards
    Free Member
    So I have a, now slightly aging, Chris Ward C6 Kingfisher. The original rubber strap is starting to crack and I want to replace it before it snaps and deposits the watch somewhere unpleasant. CW don’t sell new C6 straps any more.

A quick Google suggests straps like that do exist; I’m guessing you’ll need curved springbars* too, but none of it’s particularly niche, you’d think?

*”sprong bars” is my new favourite phrase, gonna use it from now on 😀

Kryton57

@nobby sounds good. I always find my watches look a bit flat in photos – those two Gecko’s gold accents and crystal do catch the light very nicely IRL.

Btw, I find my i13 takes better pics when I wear my reading glasses…

SSS
    Free Member

The Seamaster and the Speedking (1952 model) are away for a service. Finally got round to sending the Speedking away for a service/new crown/new crystal.
    The existing crown threads are worn – in fact non existant – and the existing crystal is cracked. So since the SMP300 Quartz wasnt behaving itself (starting and stopping but no battery low indicator present). Theyve went together.

Look forward to getting the Speedking back to see the improvements.

Speedking-and-Seamaster

tthew

A quick Google suggests straps like that do exist;

They do, but for specific, and very popular cases, such as the SKX007 type. Because you’ve got to get the lug length, case diameter and in that case the notch size right, reasonable for a big seller, but not for the volume an old model Christopher Ward would shift.

You might drop lucky on a NOS one on eBay if you set up a search alert or that’d look good on a standard Sailcloth strap I reckon.

gaidong
    Free Member

@nicko74, because it reduces contrast in a ‘tool’ watch and made the  design language a little unintelligible. Real turn off, for me.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve been loving my white seamaster and wearing it loads but the peli talk made me dig out my smurf version this morning. Love it. I do rather like all my watches…. So hard to choose one!

AdamT

Hi all, I’m looking for a watch for my son. I’ve not really seen this combination of features so wondered if anyone could help.

Metal case probably analog (or nice digital)
    More dress style Vs sporty bulky thing
    Date
    Alarm
    Maybe back light
    Maybe chronograph
    Waterproof
    Budget of 200 to maybe 400 for something if it’s worth it

Does such a thing exist?

tthew

Think you’re looking at a square G-Shock like this  for all the features you describe. Anything less sporty/analogue likely won’t have the alarm and backlight functions.

cookeaa

Hi all, I’m looking for a watch for my son. I’ve not really seen this combination of features so wondered if anyone could help.

Metal case probably analog (or nice digital)
    More dress style Vs sporty bulky thing
    Date
    Alarm
    Maybe back light
    Maybe chronograph
    Waterproof
    Budget of 200 to maybe 400 for something if it’s worth it

Does such a thing exist?

There will almost certainly be something chronograph style in the Edifice line that suits that brief.
    But not a G-Shock not if you want “dress style”…

Kryton57

Ho about a Citizen Eco drive chronology (the AT): https://www.citizenwatch.co.uk/perpetual-chrono-a-t-cb5898-59e.html

Great watch, and they can be had for cheaper than that of you shop around.

AdamT

Thanks, for the replies, certainly some good direction there. I’ll take a look.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

It’s a reasonably mixed set of requirements and hence there being very few watches around which would meet them all – what’s the thinking behind it, what’s it actually for?

bob_summers

Any love for Isotope? Admittedly I like the Hydrium but they’re dear for a “fun” watch.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I like them and the fact that they aren’t afraid of going their own way looks-wise. Looking at that it’s a bit small at 40mm but they also talk about the design of the buckle but don’t actually show it and describe the crown as being designed in such a way as to minimise discomfort but it looks like a standard 3 o’clock placement so how far along the watch actually is to release is anybody’s guess.

bob_summers

I thought they already did a run of that model in summer? I’ve seen em used on Crono24 going for a grand or so.

Depends how dressy. Love my  metal square if you’re looking for digital

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/3J7D9q971w]2020-11-29_10-08-59[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

IvanDobski
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

Depends how dressy.

Even remotely dressy would rule that out!

tthew

Well I’d not wear the metal G with a dinner jacket granted, but my suggestion was biased on the features required rather than the look. As Ivan said, it’s a big mix of requirements, dressy doesn’t get backlighting and alarms.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Dinner jacket function this weekend, Bambino mk1 in steel, black dial – job done.

tthew

But how are you going to see it when the lights go down, time the after dinner speeches or know when to wake up for the port?

Hmm?

Hmm?

😁

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ll double wrist it with my Garmin on the other arm – proper classy like!

cookeaa

Depends how dressy

“Shiny” doesn’t automatically equal “dressy”…

I’d go so far as to say if you want a “smartish” (slightly retro) digital watch go smaller and just get a Casio A168:

1/10th the price, arguably a smarter looking watch, still not the sexiest timepiece though.

By way of a comparison here it is alongside another square G and an edifice EFR-S108 (which I’d consider towards the dresser end of affordable Casio watches):

And just for the sake of it here’s an ancient little eco-drive that I quite like wearing to work now and then:

Kryton’s suggestion above is a good one, eco-drives that meet the requirements can be had for the stated budget, and most people will recognise a citizen as being a decent watch where a Casio will get a few more sneers (sadly).

“Shiny” doesn’t automatically equal “dressy”…

I wasn’t suggesting it does, more the opposite – the G square isn’t a dress watch by any stretch, but it is at home with a suit, smart shirt or even more casual with a modern/retro style to it.

I tried a smaller more classic style one and hated the look of it on my wrist, just too small – and I have small wrists

gaidong
    Free Member

AD gave me warning yesterday of a 2nd Cartier price rise this year, around 5% in mid-October. I put down a deposit on a Tank Americaine for my wife’s 50th, locking in current price and a 13% discount on top of that. Get your Santos orders in now! 😀

Wally

Just been successful on the Eddie Platts 2min dash. Will post up when “Commander” arrives.

CountZero

Well I’d not wear the metal G with a dinner jacket granted, but my suggestion was biased on the features required rather than the look. As Ivan said, it’s a big mix of requirements, dressy doesn’t get backlighting and alarms.

If I was going to a posh do that, heaven forbid, meant I had to actually wear a D/J or similar, I’d still wear my Seiko SPORK, it’s far and away the closest thing I’ve got to a ‘dressy’ watch! Plus I don’t give a toss what some snobby git thinks about it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

#£&*#@!! I’m seriously tempted again. Another Seiko spring drive diver, not grand this time but may as well be. Seiko LX SNR041J1 Prospex Titanium Spring drive. I’d never have thought brown would be an appealing dial colour!
    I’m having a serious look at my finances…. And still haven’t sold the sbdc059/spb081j either… Parting with watches is hard even when it’s too make space for another!

Kato

I’d want the ‘Grand” for nearly 6 grand

neilnevill
    Free Member

That’s a fair comment, the seiko supposedly compares favourably in a few ways. It’s odd how much a brand is worth, were it a citizen Vs an Omega at similar prices I’d want the omega, but since GS is a relatively young brand and part of Seiko it’s less of a difference.
    I’m looking at used anyway, the seiko is a LE of 200 long sold out.

Kato

It’s handsome no doubt but for the money I wouldn’t want to see Prospex on it. I think they should steer clear of blurring the lines between Seiko and GS.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,481 through 5,520 (of 8,689 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.