Viewing 40 posts - 5,441 through 5,480 (of 8,570 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • matthewlhome
    Free Member

In glasgow today and saw the moonSwatches in real life for the first time. Really like the look of the earth model but can’t get past the snapped buttons and £200+ for a swatch. Went to the omega shop and my 9 yr old daughter wisely advised me that the speed master was £5700 and ‘what if the strap breaks, it’s not worth it, let’s go’. That was the first time I’ve been in a shop like that where I was being taken seriously but was brought back down to earth quickly 😄

Said daughter was quite keen on a shiny swatch though…

w00dster

I quite like my Breitling Super Ocean. But yeah, defo get why folk think they’re a bit too busy….
    Hopefully this link works…..

https://i.postimg.cc/pX66qTCC/0-E916-C20-0663-41-F9-9288-F218248-D3-CC7.jpg

I am absolutely sure the quality is excellent though yes far too busy stuff going on face.

😛

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CountZero

This is a good looking piece. Are Yema well regarded?

Think it’s CountZero who’s still rocking a vintage one. Yeah, I think they are, (though not owned one myself) and getting better as they’re now making in house movements. I know that’s no guarantee of quality, but needs a level of sophistication above cases, dials and hands.

A bit late catching up with this thread, I’m afraid! Yema had a very good reputation for quality up until around the 80’s; they got involved with Seiko, who ended up swallowing the brand and just used it for rather tacky fashion-styled watches. More recently they bought themselves out of the Seiko situation and became an independent French brand again, but tough trading conditions led to them becoming part of the Swatch group, IIRC.
    It’s allowed them to develop their own in-house calibres, and re-introduce modern versions of their classic watches, like the NavyGraf and the Superman diver.

And yes, I’m the proud owner of a 1970 Rallygraf Super, which has a Valjoux 7734 movement with three complications. The often mentioned ’Mario Andretti’ Rallygraf is the cheaper standard version with just two complications.

Mine broke its mainspring a few years back, finding someone who could fix a proper mechanical hand-wind watch isn’t easy, especially if you’re not keen on entrusting something with great personal and emotional value, but Deacon & Son in Marlborough came to the rescue, albeit at a cost – £465!
    Still worth it, they’re fetching upwards of £4-5000 now. Cost me £50… 😎

This is mine, on the strap I made for it, using a deployment clasp from a commercial strap that started to fall apart.

Just to add, you need to be aware of possible iffy ones – I came across this one that had sold for £1500. The first thing that struck me is the fact that the hands are very definitely NOT original! Mine absolutely are, so it makes me wonder about other aspects of it.

https://www.watch-auctions.co.uk/sale/22/168/Yema-Rallygraf-Super-chronograph-stainless-steel-gentlemans-wristwatch-ref-93012-circa-late-1960s-serial-no-130xxx-tachymeter-bezel-black-dial-with-chronograph-centre-seconds-luminous-markers-and-triple-subsidiary-seconds-Valjoux-7736-movement-red-leather-strap-39mm-diameter

Fudd
    Free Member

Shut up and take my money!

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/pelagos-39

Kryton57

Oh gosh, that ^^ might have to replace several of my current collection… perfect size and straps for me.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

At least the move to the youth sizing forces them to lose a line of text – so that’s something. 😉

Kryton57

Ha Ha – I remembered the comment from Jody’s most recent Pelagos review about too much text – they’ve blanked out the clasp mechanism also which was another “moan and niggle” he mentioned.

CountZero

@Fudd – I read a review of the Pelageos 39 earlier today, on Hodinkee, and if the money suddenly presented itself, I’d be beating a path to my nearest Tudor dealer with a deposit for one!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I just don’t get it – it’s a nice enough watch but nothing particularly interesting.

It seems Tudor can release just about anything and people fully lose their shit, if this was exactly the same but released by someone else it wouldn’t get a second look.

Still, when it’s released in “that blue” the plaudits for that will make the hyperbole for this seem like subtle understatement.

Kryton57

You make a good point. If you want a not eye wateringly expensive, recognised, well made COSC Swiss watch its a good call with great weight and dimensions.

But you can get a Sapphire 200m no date dive watch for much less of course. I had a chap ask about my two tone Geckota GMT last week (it look very sparkly in the Balearic sun) but he glazed over quickly. He was wearing a Submariner. Obviously not a real enthisiast. Lol…

w00dster

Quite like the Tudor. I’ve got a BB so probably a bit too close in style to warrant buying it.
    On a bit of a tangent, just finished watching Samaritan on Prime, any idea if the watch in the film is an Arnie? Looked like it, but didn’t quite see it enough to see for certain.

tthew

I just don’t get it – it’s a nice enough watch but nothing particularly interesting.

I’m with you Ivan. Flat dial, standard looking case, nothing particularly interesting in the bezel or strap design. Nice describes it perfectly. High quality no doubt, but… 🤷

I guess if we all liked the same thing, world would be a boring place though.

johnners
    Free Member

Totally agree. Nothing wrong with it but released without “Tudor” on the dial it’d be a complete non-event.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve always quite liked the Pelagos, but I own a CW elite 1000 which is Titanium case and bracelet, COSC certified, 1000m water and cost me £900. Sure it’s not got the big player name but still a nice and functional good quality daily diver.

tthew

Received a rather nice grey/blue suede strap from Barton Bands for my Ginza Seiko. Nobody really rates the supplied bracelet, it looks pretty lush on this.

Kato

Love the dials on those. Looks great

walowiz

@tthew, nice strap on that seiko. May have to go take a look at the barton site. Edit nice beer choice too

I’m sure it is lovely quality, but I’m missing what’s special about the Pelageos 39, thankfully as I need to sell one of my collection, to keep my one in, one out principles alive.

Don’t get me wrong it looks nice, but not the awesome I’d expect for 3.5k. It just looks like another nice conservatively designed dive watch. Suspect I’m not the target market either, having just blown my budget with a 1/2 price £170 fleiger purchase.

tthew

May have to go take a look at the barton site.

I really like them. Delivery can take a while from the US, (I only ever go standard shipping) and although they’re not cheap there isn’t a week that goes by that I don’t get an offer by e-mail. 10% usually, but wait a bit and it’ll either be 25% or 2 for 1. Sign up for their marketing before you buy. Customer service is good too, they sent a replacement strap once by fast shipping after a mistake and didn’t want the wrong one back.

nicko74

It seems Tudor can release just about anything and people fully lose their shit, if this was exactly the same but released by someone else it wouldn’t get a second look.

Yes! Apparently they now have waitlists for the Ranger; they’re really making the most of the “next best thing to a Rolex!” aspect

IvanDobski
    Free Member

nicko74

Yes! Apparently they now have waitlists for the Ranger; they’re really making the most of the “next best thing to a Rolex!” aspect

A while ago on this thread I’d mentioned that Rotary, yes off of Argos and Samuels etc, had some surprisingly nice looking models in the range and there was a Ranger style model released a few years ago which looked really good. I’ve had a bit of a look for one but with no joy but A Blog to Watch seemed to like it.

beanum

That’s nice, but nearly £500 for a Rotary is a big ask…

I’m waiting impatiently for details and pricing on the Scurfa Top Side Crew….

Scurfa on Instagram

bob_summers

Fondled a Ranger a couple of weeks back in Bordeaux. Nice enough but the numbers looked weird, and the lume colour on them didn’t quite match the hands. Unless it was my eyes. Looked great on the khaki NATO though.

The BB36 remains my “if you could only have one” watch. Right size for me, plus a Tudor should have snowflake hands 😉

Kryton57

Seems to be a lot of new watches about:

New Oris

New Hamilton Khaki Navy

IvanDobski
    Free Member

12hr bezels should definitely be more of a thing.

Kato

Vanguard rubber for the GMT delivered from Dubai in 2 days. Not had the customs bill yet mind you!

neilnevill
    Free Member

that looks smart.

I’m n-1 s I’ve sold my zelos abyss. a really good watch that though, nuts, made me laugh a lot, but I just don’t want so many watches…and want to be ready to strike if another grand seiko diver happens to come along.

mikertroid
    Free Member

That Pelagos is nice, but too similar to my Sub 14060M to go down that route.

A mate came round sporting the BB Pro… Magnificent watch and will take the plunge on one in the new year, Prob on the rubber strap.

mildred

Is there a market for Swatch watches these days? (I’m thinking unworn early 90’s models).

RustyNissanPrairie

Is there a market for Swatch watches these days? (I’m thinking unworn early 90’s models).

I was hoping there was although admittedly a few years ago now. I had some rare unworns and limited editions from the late 80’s /early 90’s. They sold on eBay for less than their original prices IIRC. Just had a look and Sex Tease GN136 (the only one I distinctly remember the name/number of was on Etsy for ~£80. My money would have been better just being left in the bank or at the very least being ‘invested’ in coke& hooker’s

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Orient M-Force diver ltd edition

I’ve got the black dialed version of this already but still tempted…

Edit: JFC, why doesn’t posting images work any more?!

RustyNissanPrairie

Was generally googling watches and found the below watch. The engineer in me loves the ‘sliderule’ design although not sure how intuitive it would be.

https://www.klokers.com/en/shop/klok-01/klok-01-86

Checked the thread and it seems smart watches do get mentioned occassionally – just had a new Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra phone, so thought I’d update my smart watch to a Samsung Watch 5 Pro. Wanted a Fenix 7x, but that’s twice the price and more and the Samsung ties in with my needs a bit better

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/Di070j72Ep]2022-09-07_10-31-46[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

walowiz

That’s surely not a Samsung watch ? That looks quite classy, dare I suggest also much better looking than the Apple Watch.

I do like the ingenuity of the klok 01, not too sure on the yellow blob in the centre. you must get used to how the dial works, but not quite as easy to tell the time as a regular watch.

That’s surely not a Samsung watch ? That looks quite classy, dare I suggest also much better looking than the Apple Watch.

Specifying the case coulour and choosing a different strap helps over the standard affair

watch

My old S3 doesn’t look too bad for a smart watch I don’t think though

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/jy12o71H52]2022-09-08_08-11-22[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

bartesque

Bremont

Bremont Limited Edition Dambuster to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the Lancaster Bomber first seeing service in 1942, and comes with Avro Lancaster Cufflinks incorporating aluminium from the original air frame of Lancaster B.VII NX611 ‘Just Jane’.

frankconway

bartesque – like the Bremont limited edition.

bartesque

@frankconway Thanks its a lovely piece with some lovely touches and a great back story to the brand, I met Nick one of the brothers who founded the company.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

So I have a, now slightly aging, Chris Ward C6 Kingfisher. The original rubber strap is starting to crack and I want to replace it before it snaps and deposits the watch somewhere unpleasant. CW don’t sell new C6 straps any more.

The original strap (and I don’t know the correct terminology here) has wings that blend into the lugs of the case, and the end of the strap where the sprong bars go through is curved to match the bezel. Any ideas where I’ll find something similar? I don’t really want a strap that leaves the lugs exposed, as they’re quite square edged, and I suspect a bit sharp.

Thanks!

Viewing 40 posts - 5,441 through 5,480 (of 8,570 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.