• This topic has 8,686 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by Kryton57.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,881 through 4,920 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • tthew

So after saying at the top of the previos page I was uncomfortable wearing my Vostok’s with the Red Army connections, I’ve been idly looking for a new beater. This popped up on Wednesday on Instagram, and was too hard to resist as I also got offered a new customer 20% discount.

Komanderskie’s are in their boxes until such time the Russian government is run by anyone other than evil arseholes. I hope that’s a lot sooner than I fear it might be.

nicko74

Nice!
    What’s the speech bubble logo top left? Is it telling you you have a message on your phone?
    Idiot question, obviously, but I didn’t realise Casio had added much connectivity to their G-Shocks (beyond the atomic time radio signal)

tthew

Yes, it does notifications, but it’s a bit of a PITA to scroll through and actually read messages on the tiny screen when your phone is close enough to just read them from there.

It also does basic step counting and a running/training recording function alongside the partner app too. It’s not multi-sport though so not sure it’s much use for cycling, again you’d have to have your phone with you for the bluetooth to work, so may as well just do that on the Strava app.

Automatic time synchronisation is probably the most useful connected feature actually but I think it just goes by the phone time, it’s not linked to that radio signal from Rugby.

derek_starship
    Free Member

it’s not linked to that radio signal from Rugby.

Now THAT would be clever stuff.

The MSF signal is transmitted from Anthorn Radio Station in Cumbria by Babcock International, under contract to NPL. The signal covers the whole of the UK, and can also be received throughout most of northern and western Europe. It is monitored against the national time scale UTC(NPL) and corrected when necessary, ensuring that the transmitted time is always correct.

airvent
    Free Member

Now THAT would be clever stuff.

Most G Shocks do that, I think he was making the point that this one doesn’t unlike the majority of them.

Somebody tell me the Victorinox INOX Carbon is shit and I don’t want one (already have a steel INOX)

INOX

INOX

jp-t853

I think Rugby not being in Cumbria was the point of that post

tthew

Well I’d have been right a decade and a half ago. 😁

The_’MSF_signal’_and_the_’Rugby_clock'”

From the time signal’s inauguration in 1950 until 1 April 2007 it was transmitted from Rugby Radio Station near Rugby, Warwickshire. The transmitter’s original location meant that the clock was referred to as “the Rugby clock”. Following its relocation in 2007 to Cumbria, the NPL now formally calls the signal “The Time from NPL”.

Kato

@theartistformerlyknownasstr

I can’t tell you that. I like it. You should buy one!

lunge

Anyone picked up a Moon Swatch yet? I keep looking on the website but they’re still not on there.

DougD

Anyone picked up a Moon Swatch yet? I keep looking on the website but they’re still not on there.

I had a look at them when I was walking along Princes Street the other day in Edinburgh, they look ok, not a fan of the straps at all though.

Been having a look through this thread and it’s really interesting. I can appreciate that chronographs are nice watches, but I think I prefer a slightly less busy watch. It’s all personal taste though which is what matters, and if there’s a nice story behind it, all the better.

Which leads me to mine. I got this as a present for my 21st, 15yrs ago. I was a bit of an idiot at times back then but I’d chosen this with my parents and it’s a nice reminder that amongst all the questionable decisions you may make when you’re younger, you can make some good ones too.

Tag Carrera.
    Tag Carrera

tthew

Oh, that’s nice. The kind of watch that’ll not age/go out of fashion.

dti

Just put up my seiko tuna kinetic on the classifieds.
    Very nice watch – just a bit too big for my wrists.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

That Tag really is nice.

Pierre

I went into the Swatch store on Oxford Street on Friday and was told in a very sickly and rehearsed way, “oh sorry, sir, we sold out of them this morning,” which I strongly suspect is what they say to _everyone_. They couldn’t tell me when they were next going to get any, but “it should be soon” and they don’t get regular deliveries of them, I just need to keep going back and checking.

I don’t know how much of any of that is true, it was really frustrating and if it wasn’t for the one display case with the actual watches in, in a glass box in the shop, this would feel a lot like vapourware. Swatch aren’t responding to any of the critical comments on Instagram; it’s hard to see how this whole thing is doing anything positive for them as I don’t think very many people will buy other Swatches while they’re waiting, and they’ll just get pissed off with waiting.

tthew

Are they theoretically available in all Swatch shops now, and not just the London/Edinburgh stores?

frankconway

Anyone else think the Moon Swatch collaboration will devalue Omega?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Hmmm. I quite like this:

Command Urban

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Anyone else think the Moon Swatch collaboration will devalue Omega?

I read an article recently that asked this question, seemingly not. Omega and chrono 24, a country’s distributer all reporting record selling of Omegas and mostly speedmasters. It did recognise some collectors saying they were selling their omegas but it doesn’t appear to have harmed the brand.

Pierre

@tthew the Swatch website currently says only London and Edinburgh:

https://www.swatch.com/en-gb/bioceramic-moonswatch.html

tthew

@tthew the Swatch website currently says only London and Edinburgh:

Thanks Pierre, I read the word ‘Oxford’ and skimmed past ‘Street’ 🤦

Possibly been mentioned before, but I’m not trawling 123 pages

Really liking the Black Bay Bronze atm, just don’t have a spare £3280 🙁

tudor

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve always liked the bronze bay, it looks gorgeous. I ought to try one on for fun assume time. With a pelagos in the collection, and a bronze CW C60 Pro, I don’t have room for a bronze bay but I can still like them. I suspect it will wear quite big, it’s 43mm so bigger than the pelagos and steel BB, which already wear large as they are thick and slab sided.

Kato

Tudor bronze is a lot more resist to patina than most. I like them. I just don’t like the patinated look on some bronze watches

anyone like an Alpinist?

im like the “baby” ones without the compass bezel SPB155 etc I think

neilnevill
    Free Member

I believe so, I guess it’s an aluminium bronze rather than tin bronze. It does still patinate but slowly, or it can be forced. All bronzes are relatively easy to clean back to raw and if you want too slow any patination they can be waxed.

jeff

I like Alpinists, esp the green faced ones, but I don’t like the rotating chapter ring – seems pointless.

Didn’t know they did them without that feature.

igm

Green Alpinist, no rotating anything (apart from the hands and crown obviously) – https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/prospex/spb245j1

I have one, it’s lovely.  Kind of a dress watch for me. Available in the normal myriad of Seiko variations. Note that there are two lug designs and a numbers / indicators for the watch face.

If there was one niggle, my leather strap one is excellent excepting the quality of the leather is a little plasticy. I assume there’s a good dose of PU coating on it.  But that will be changed at some point anyway.

johnners
    Free Member

I like Alpinists, esp the green faced ones, but I don’t like the rotating chapter ring – seems pointless.

I’ve got a SARB017, the green one with the compass bezel – you’re quite right, it’s a pretty pointless complication but I still like the look. I’m not keen on the second crown that goes with it though, it spoils the lines of the case somewhat, I prefer the case of the newer model. Glad to hear they’re continuing with the plasticky strap, it’s traditional!

a11y

I went into the Swatch store on Oxford Street on Friday and was told in a very sickly and rehearsed way, “oh sorry, sir, we sold out of them this morning,” which I strongly suspect is what they say to _everyone_. They couldn’t tell me when they were next going to get any, but “it should be soon” and they don’t get regular deliveries of them, I just need to keep going back and checking.

I don’t know how much of any of that is true,

I was in Edinburgh on Saturday (Van Gogh Live = awesome) and popped into the Swatch store. The above is almost word-for-word what I was told too: they’re getting deliveries of stock most weeks but not always on the same day, can be first thing or later in the day, and they don’t know how many or which ‘mission’ version(s) they’ll be getting. Sounded like a BS response to me: I don’t believe they don’t have clearly tracked info for stock control purposes, obviously they do but aren’t sharing that info with the public to avoid a riot etc I guess.

Anyway, I liked the look of them in person. Strap a bit meh but overall I still want one, but I’m too far from the store to just pop in and out to check.

Saccades
    Free Member

Shit photo, gorgeous watch.

Pressie for the missus.

Kato

Love the dials on those Seiko cocktails!

derek_starship
    Free Member

I have the Presage on an MC’s strap, black patent, blue stitching and with the gorgeous ice blue face.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’m currently hunting down an original cocktail time for myself, it would bug me having the presage version I think.

Although tempted to mod by gold coating the rotor and fitting the cupcake crown to it.

geolog
    Free Member

30th birthday coming up, time for a treat.

Always fancied an Explorer I but not enough to jump through the hoops (whether contrived or genuine) to get hold of a new one… When I was considering it a few years ago I ended up buying a North Flag instead (only to watch the value of the Explorer jump by 40% in the same time).

I like the look of a Black Bay 36 (possibly with a silver dial) and it has lovely OP style case – has anyone got one and does it wear as well as it looks online? Would probably buy this for work, slightly dressier occiasions and keep the NF for everything else.

Other option is to trade the North Flag in for an unworn 2015 Explorer that’s available nearby and keep the one watch only collection policy.

bb36

neilnevill
    Free Member

That looks nice. It sounds like you want an explorer and nobody knows what will happen with Rolex availability, no one. So can’t help on the choices, but the Tudor is an appealing watch

Kryton57

So er…. would something like BB58 appreciate over time? I’m thinking of an alternative and wearable investment…

Kato

@geolog

i had a black Black Bay but 41mm and on leather. It was very nice but flipped it for something else as I regretted not getting the bracelet A great watch. Go for it

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

So er…. would something like BB58 appreciate over time? I’m thinking of an alternative and wearable investment…

Not really. Tudors don’t seem to gain any ground other than the odd discontinued model that doesn’t depreciate too badly. The North Flag seems to be OK and Ranger Heritage for eg. The BB chronograph seems to make a bit of money for the flippers but because they’re currently unobtainable officially.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Bb58 is a very popular watch and too a large degree it’s pre owned value is tied to it’s new RRP. If RRP increases then used values also. However they are not going to increase above that unless discontinued and they achieve cult status like a Tudor submariner

Saccades
    Free Member

Another crap picture, gorgeous watch.

Paid a bit of a premium, but I got to see it before buying and it cames with an additional Barton strap so I’m happy.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,881 through 4,920 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.