Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 8,570 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • tthew

All this hype about them makes me want one even more! I even looked at what they were priced at on eBay last night, which is presumably the most speculative of speculation, as the flipper might not even get one.

I’m 47 years old FFS, it’s just ridiculous. 🙄

w00dster

Currently stood in the queue at the Covent Gareen store…..it’s quite large and I’m at the back…..
    Anyone else in a queue?

Kato

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kato

I was going but overslept.  Then figured they’ve said they’re not limited so will chance online.  Fingers crossed you get one!

I won’t be paying a flippers premier though. I’m hoping they’ll be stuck with them if there’s a general online release in the coming weeks

Kryton57

All this hype about them makes me want one even more!

It’s having the opposite effect on me, bit I’m a miserable sod today anyway…

airvent
    Free Member

It’s having the opposite effect on me

Likewise.

I wonder which models will prove the most and least popular. Some of them are truly gopping! That Saturn one…

w00dster

Gave up. Was a massive queue and not moving fast. I‘ll wait until they’re more available.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the realistic reviews that confirm that they are plastic tat.

slackboy

I’ve recently inherited a rolex datejust with a jubilee bracelet. The bracelet it is pretty stretched so I wondered if anyone had recommendations for somewhere to restore it , or any idea of what a new one might cost. Here is a picture for reference:

BikePawl
    Free Member

I also inherited that same Rolex, far to gaudy for my tastes I’m saving it for a rainy day. Can’t help you on the bracelet though.

Kryton57

I’m waiting for the realistic reviews that confirm that they are plastic tat.

I couldn’t get over “Mission to Uranus” at 1:33….. 😀

airvent
    Free Member

They really look quite fragile to me. That battery cover on the back looks like it could just pop off at any moment.

a11y

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/moonswatch-hundreds-queue-for-hours-outside-edinburgh-watch-store-on-saturday-as-omega-x-swatch-collab-sparks-shopping-frenzy-3628502?amp

Long lines began to form early this morning outside of Swatch on Princes Street, and soon the queue was snaking all the way up Frederick Street, onto Rose Street, and at one point as far as Charlotte Square.

Very glad I didn’t bother!

ebikegum

Wow!!

Take a look on eBay sold items – Moonswatch Mission to Moon sold for £6100!!!

WTAF!!

SSS
    Free Member

I was in Edinburgh and walked past the Swatch shop around 11.30. Signs everywhere Moonswatch sold out.
    Was in the Vacheron store and the lady said they started queuing last night. Q was huge by all accounts. One of the Vacheron salemen said he went along early this morning and all sold out.

airvent
    Free Member

I’m not sure I believe that… Is there some way of faking a sold item to drive the price up??

Kato

It will just show what they sold for at the end of the auction not whether anyone paid

There was a Mission to Mars bid up to £63000 last night

no one is paying that

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The launch of the Bioceramic MoonSwatch Collection is an incredible success that exceeded all expectations.

We would therefore like to remind you that there will be watches available in the selected Swatch Stores in the coming weeks as it is not a limited edition.

For the moment, we have to update the purchase limit to one watch per person until further notice. We will revert back to two watches per person as soon as possible.

#MoonSwatch
    #OMEGAXSwatch

I see they closed the London stores!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

airvent
    Free Member
    They really look quite fragile to me. That battery cover on the back looks like it could just pop off at any moment

Sounds fairly authentic to me, one of the originals popped a crystal on one of the missions and needed bailing out by a Bulova.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Love the comments on the watch foums saying this is a perfect way for ‘young people’ to get into the watch game. Like paying £3k for a plastic watch is your gateway in…

tthew

Do they not mean it’s a way in at 200 quid?

dc2.0

Are the prices advertised on chrono24, watchfinder etc realistic? If so, which would people recommend?

I have a 3 year old Rolex milgauss z-blue. I liked it well enough at the time but have only worn it <20 times as it’s too ostentatious for me. I think it was about £6k new but it looks like I could ask £12-14k for it now and that money would be better spent elsewhere…

mehr
    Free Member

I was working in Hanover Square yesterday and the queues were unlike anything i’ve seen. The queue was from Oxford street, down New Bond Street, Brook Street past Fenwicks then all of Hanover Square

For £200 i’ll be getting one retail

gaidong
    Free Member

@dc2.0, I’ve sold a Rolex on Chrono24 before. If you’re nervous you can offer it to Chrono themselves. Take decent pictures of the watch and all bits and pieces, and they’ll make you an offer. You’ll get less but the process is easy.

Or you can sell it yourself. Same decent photos, honest description, and away you go. Only real difference is you’re responsible for the shipping. I’ve made about 10 successful sales there. You get market price, for good or bad!

Kryton57

Reading between the lines, I don’t think Jody’s all that impressed:

midlifecrashes

@tthew

You were asking about Polywatch on specs lenses. In my experience it’s usually the coatings either breaking down or getting scratched. Usually if you remove the coating, the lens underneath will be fine. The stuff you need to remove the coating is Armour Etch (pardon huge Amazon link, but you can get it from craft/hobby places too)

tthew

Thanks for that midlifecrashes. 👍

dmorts

There’s was an initial “Ooh” from me on first seeing the MoonSwatch. This quickly turned to “Ah…” on seeing the JOMW video. It’s plastic tat*, sorry. And overpriced at £200. Brilliant marketing idea though.

*what else are Swatches?

frankconway

dmorts has said it for me – the moonswatch range is nothing more than cheap disposable plastic tat being presented as a ‘proper’ watch but, as launch day showed, there are loads of mug punters out there.
    Masterpiece of marketing.

Murray

Any thoughts on the new Tudors? I was hoping for a new Ranger (Explorer equivalent) but the Black Bay Pro looks good as an Explorer II equivalent.

Kato

39mm with a 24h bezel is a bit small for me. My GMT is 41mm and the dial already is as small as I’d want it

agreed very Explorer 2. I’d like to see something more original rather than a Rolex homage. And I’m very much a Tudor fanboy

edd

I really like the Black Bay Pro, but Hodinkee claim that it is 14.6mm thick, on a 39mm watch I think this is going to feel very thick/ top heavy. The BB58 (I have a BB58 blue and love it) is so wearable because they are only 11.9mm thick. The GMT complication was always going to add thickness, but I think this watch is disappointingly thick.

One cool thing is that the Black Bay Pro comes with a the T-fit bracelet clasp which has an 8mm rapid size-adjustment system. Previously the T-fit system was only available on the BB58 bronze, this is the first time in steel. (Presumably this T-fit would fit BB58 watches as the BB Pro and the BB58 are all 39mm.)

CountZero

I’m not a Rolex fan by any means, but I’ve just seen this, and it’s probably the only Rolex I’d actually consider, should I find myself in the fortunate position to be able to spend £7k on another watch…

https://luxurylaunches.com/watches/2022-rolex-air-king.php

airvent
    Free Member

It’s a quirky one for sure.

Kato

Never liked the new Air King dial.  There seems to be a lot going on.  Shame as the old Air King was a looker, but looks too much like the OP.

Rolex is just crazy now, I always fancied a plain black OP but now even they are unattainable outside the grey market.  No one was interested in them a couple of years back

CountZero

It’s plastic tat*, sorry. And overpriced at £200. Brilliant marketing idea though.

It’s perfectly possible to pay that for watches that are little more than marketing over substance, I’ve no doubt at all that those Moonwatches will last for a fair amount of time, it’s more than likely that the movement will pack it in before the case does.

And there’s a historical precedent as well…

Retailed at £125 in 1986, IIRC, my TAG Heuer Series 1000 from the same period was £250. Good ones of these go from between €250 to €750 depending on condition etc. it had a fibreglass case with a steel insert and a quartz movement, and it was designed specifically to to be bright and cheerful to attract a new range of customers, the Formula 1 was very successful. The simple fact that, with ‘smart’ watches being sold to a similar market, yet a similarly priced analogue watch is attracting so much attention should be telling you something. Pretty much what the Formula 1 above told the rather stuffy and staid watch business in the 1980’s.</span>

IvanDobski
    Free Member

CountZero
    It’s perfectly possible to pay that for watches that are little more than marketing over substance

Very much so, yes.

CountZero
    I’m not a Rolex fan by any means, but I’ve just seen this, and it’s probably the only Rolex I’d actually consider, should I find myself in the fortunate position to be able to spend £7k on another watch…

https://luxurylaunches.com/watches/2022-rolex-air-king.php

kimura54321

Bit of a stick or twist question, should I get my watch fixed or look at a replacement?

Bought a Seiko 4R36-08L0 12 months ago for ~£180 as my old watch was eating batteries each year, but unfortunately dropped it on the laminate last night 😭

Seiko service center likely >£100 and 6-8 week lead time. Any reputable service place recommendations would be great.

Any automatic watch suggestions where the edge of the glass is not proud of the case? Ideally <£200 and not huge, fabric or silicone strap.

airvent
    Free Member

To be honest I’d not personally bother repairing that one, the movement will likely be damaged as well if you dropped it on a floor hard enough to break the crystal.

Not sure on suggestions but most dive style watches will have a bezel slightly higher than the crystal.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 8,570 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.