• This topic has 8,686 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by Kryton57.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,401 through 4,440 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • stevemorg2

Finally ordered a Speedy – have been looking for a while.

2019 Sapphire from Hackett watches – can’t wait! Now to find a nice brown leather strap without paying silly money – any suggestions? Watchgecko a good starting point?

kilo

Hirsch straps and swap the hardware over – works for me on my breitling. Good quality leather straps.

plyphon
    Free Member

For straps, if you want to spend the money, Bulang & Sons sell straps made by a fella called ‘JPM’ – he sells straps at a few places (Hodinkee, etc) – theyre expensive for what they are, but I own two and the leathers they use are second to none. I think a few other places in the UK stock JPM also.

Here’s another one on the theme of Speedmasters and aftermarket things.

I recently picked up a 1450 ‘Presidential’ Homage by Forstner:
    Forstner President (1450) Bracelet for Omega Speedmaster

Read about the 1450 bracelet here (and be prepared to go down a rabbit hole of Speedmaster nerdyness:

Omega Speedmaster 376.0822 – The Holy Grail

Some pics of mine:

I’ve absolutely fallen in love with this bracelet, it’s incredibly comfortable and drapes perfectly over the wrist. It gives the Speedmaster a more of a utilitarian feel – one of the issues I always had with the 1861 Speedy was the bracelet, with the polished sections. Putting it on this bracelet has made me fall back in love with the Speedy on a bracelet.

The interesting thing about this bracelet is that it is entirely authentic to the original construction. It comes with solid links, but a pressed buckle. This means it’s incredibly lightweight compared to a modern bracelet, which was jarring at first, but i’ve come to appreciate now I’ve worn it a bit more.

One day I think I’ll try and get one of the current gen speedys, they come with a bracelet which pays homage itself to the 1450 presidential.

But for now, the Speedy is once again fighting the Explorer for wrist time!

stevemorg2

Looks like a right rabbit hole! I think I’ll be sticking with the Omega Bracelet – the brown strap is something I’d like just to have a change (and differentiate a little it from my 25 year old Seamaster) There are some lovely looking straps – I just need to understand the difference between a £30 strap and a £100 strap!

stevemorg2

Will probably look to move on my Seiko Diver now – any suggestions as to a good site (this isn’t mean’t as a stealth ad!)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

reggiegasket
    Free Member

£8k sounds cheap now…

plyphon
    Free Member

They make a good point, I love the current gen speedmasters and the details they have in the watches, but it is a massive shame they’re now over £5k. The £3k pricepoint was perfect for your first luxury ‘heavy hitter’ watch with ultimate bang for buck.

Unsure thats as true at £5,000. Lots out there for that money.

bigG
    Free Member

SSS

Only ever seen one Tag Heuer Monaco on someones wrist.

You’ve seen two now, I bloody love my Monaco.

SSS
    Free Member

£8k for a Speedy is quite expensive to be fair…. Id probably go for a used one about £2-3k myself.

On a completely different tangent… I have quite a few 70-80s casio modules.

Casio AE-21W TwinGraph II

Casio-Twin-Graph

Needs a battery tho.

Which was used by the 7th Doctor Who as a pocket watch 😀

gaidong
    Free Member

My first ‘luxury’ watch, a 2013 Tudor BB, sold this morning, and my Sinn UX last week. I have reduced my collection by more than half, and am down to four ‘serious’ watches. I consider myself lucky to have surfed the lockdown overspending wave and, thanks to a few good buys, haven’t lost my shirt. Onwards and upwards with, perhaps, more calmness. A JLC will follow; Atmos and/or Reverso!

howarthp

I’ve been following this thread for ages but not posted. There are some beautiful watches and I like the mix from Casio through esoteric.

Mine are below:

The Omega was my Father’s.
    The pre ‘Tag’ Heuer was bought for my 11th birthday 40 years ago. I’ve had a different mechanism fitted as Tag would not service it.
    I think my Panerai is my favourite but enjoy wearing the Rolex and Sinn too.

SSS
    Free Member

@gaidong @howarthp I like you guys watch storage. I keep mine in their original boxes 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Where best to sell watches, may I ask?

I have a Christopher Ward like this, but the quartz version to shift.

gaidong
    Free Member

@howathp, a lovely miss there, of case shapes, sizes and provenance. I think your Heuer is very cool, 40 years on the wrist!

@sss
    , my boxes are in the safe to keep them looking good. The Tudor BB went out ‘full set’, receipts the lot.

@chapaking, I’ve sold most of my watches (6 I think) on Chrono24. The escrow system is safe and reliable and they merit their 6% I feel.

Kryton57

Here’s my collection:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mX4nJk]2022-01-13_06-55-45[/url]

Its got a bit much during the Pandemic. The Depth Charge is up for sale, its great watch and a triggers broom of everything good, but well its a Depth Charge. His & Her’s Tags are 2007 wedding presents, and everything else I want to keep, which with me being naturally indecisive is a pain in the arse…

neilnevill
    Free Member

Howarthp that’s some nice watches! Tell use more about the luminor please.

tthew

Just noticed in amongst gaidong’s VC, Rolex and Grand Seiko bling littered collection – a good old 60 quid Vostok Zissou. Nice. 😎

SSS
    Free Member

Theres lots of Vostok love as one appears in Kryton57s collection too! Vostoktastic.

@Kryton57
    your watch box wins 😉

tthew

Theres lots of Vostok love as one appears in Kryton57s collection too! Vostoktastic.

Certainty is. I’ve got three of the things! Actually four if you include a spare Komanderskie I bought, they’re so cheap you may as well buy a full set of spares, (fully assembled) as it adds nothing extra to the postage.

I’d missed Kryton’s ‘dude, the pic is a bit small.

SSS
    Free Member

And which collection is complete without the terrorists favourite (allegedly) the Casio F-91W.

I wear this if im doing a long mtb ride, as its not heavy, or wears away my wrist with a Nato.

The top and bottom of my collection. The PP next to it (and a few more PP pics) and yes, ive set the month wrongly ive just noticed (im going to wear it this weekend)

Patek-Casio-1

Patek-Front-1

Patek-Back

And the Buckle

Patek-Buckel

boblo
    Free Member

@sss That PP is a beautiful thing.

chakaping
    Free Member

@chapaking, I’ve sold most of my watches (6 I think) on Chrono24. The escrow system is safe and reliable and they merit their 6% I feel.

I’ll have a look, thanks.

🙂

lunge

That PP is stunning.

kilo

That PP is lovely- are the dates and moon phases changed by the winder or buttons?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Omg! The buckle is as nice as the watch!

Plyphon, I’d read on uncle Seiko that those speedy bracelets are very very comfortable. I’m considering one for my SMP (us does end links to fit the SMP). I think I’ll go for a po bracelet though….. Still umming.

£8 k for a speedy, wow. It’s a good watch and the history is amazing, but if I was spending 8k on a chronograph…. Zenith chronomaster sport white dial for me.

SSS
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, she is beautiful.
    Id always wanted one and coveted the 5146r for years. I never had my name on a waiting list or anything. However one day, I walked into an AD to look at the Pateks and drool as usual, and by chance they had been delivered a 5146r that week. This was in January 2017.
    White and Yellow Gold are more easily sourced and I could have picked up easily. The Rose Gold was quite scarce.

@kilo
    The day, date, month and moonphase are all changed by the recessed buttons. 2 on each side. The only thing you need the winder for is moving the time (and finding out if its am or pm for changeover).

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Got this back from Tissot today – I’d sent it off as it was running really erratically and stopping, even with a new battery. They said they couldn’t service it as it was obsolete… but it’s arrived back in full working order (touch wood!), as well as a branded travel case and a £100 voucher off a new watch. Might see what the 35mm PRX looks like when it goes on sale.

Kryton57

My god, look at that PP!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

This is all subjective so this is no biggie… but as much as I admire and respect Patek for what they are, and represent, and the awesome engineering of them, I’ve never actually seen one I like the look of. Same goes for the AP Royal Oak. I watched a Teddy Baldassarre vid the other day on YT with his girlfriend and she said an interesting thing. She said she was waiting to like the PP Nautilus but it hadn’t happened yet… I’m the same.

the_lecht_rocks

I have the following gathering dust if anyone wants to make a sensible offer. PM direct.
    They never get worn much and I find it a bit too gratuitous to have them and not wear them. I’m not too fussed about selling them as they have good inherent value currently and the Rolex are likely to continue to appreciate in value, but sensible offers considered regardless.

Rolex Daytona 116500LN Black Dial. 2011 I think.
    Rolex GMT-Master II 116710 BLNR [2017]. [BLNR Blue Noir; Batman].
    Rolex Explorer 2 216570 [2015] Black Dial
    Omega Seamaster [2005]. Blue Dial.
    Breitling Avenger Blackbird [2018].

walowiz

@the_lecht_rocks some very nice watches listed there, I suspect they are all well out of my price range. Any pics ?

Love this thread, the diversity of watches is really interesting to see. The speedys are luverly.

I would be after a seiko diver (sumo ?), or the green seiko diver if there’s one going. I’m sure I did IM someone here about one, but then life overtook me.

Kryton57

If I was getting a Seiko Diver today as a daily I’d be getting one of the new Prospex Compact Divers. There is a green one.

Solar, domed sapphire & Seiko what’s not to like.

The same site has some Sale Turtles if you want a bigger watch, I’d be tempted to get the Padi SE

neilnevill
    Free Member

Walowiz, me I think, I promised photos and… Life over took me ! I’ll get some.

walowiz

that’s the chap ! @neilnevill Pics would be great.

walowiz

Am surprised no one’s mentioned the new garmin super watches, the fenix 7 and the epix.

Quite tempted with the epix to replace my Vivoactive 4, the amoled screen looks amazing, with great week long battery life. Not a budget watch though, not at 900 quid in black. Maybe I won’t go for it after all.

Kryton57

Am surprised no one’s mentioned the new garmin super watches

My personal opinion is that they are computers that tell the time, and a bit of a fringe at best for this thread and some of its mechanical marvels.

Not a budget watch though, not at 900 quid

The discussion in our cycling club was basically this. Loads of functionality and you were going on a world multi sports trip for a couple of years – for example – it’d be great, but the feeling is they’ve priced themselves out of the market fur the day to day every-person.

Hope is now that the new MIPS Instinct has enough functionality to fill the gap, or isn’t still less capable but double the price of the current Solar.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

As Kevin O’Leary says, posh watches aren’t really for telling the time. They are jewellery for men (and women, naturally, but women have other options here). They are something that makes a statement about them (maybe wealth, maybe history, maybe love of engineering, maybe whatever).

I thought about getting a Garmin the other day actually (a Fenix 5 on offer) but I just thought, why? what for? I already have a bike computer. Maybe for mapping… but £400 for a mapping tool? Only a big trip would warrant it, as Kryton says. Maybe if you’re a runner.. but I’m not running anywhere.

Anyway, I do like the look of them. But can’t really see the point of them.

derek_starship
    Free Member

*expletives*

I won’t go into detail but I’ve managed to ruin the crystal on my Seamaster 120m.

Any ideas how much it would cost to replace?

TiA.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,401 through 4,440 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.