Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 8,673 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • brads
    Free Member

Eh ?

Never had any experience like that.
    Fat wrists ?

They are called sports watches for a reason.

tthew

Fat wrists ?

Not in my case, no padding whatsoever and quite a protruding wrist bone.

boblo
    Free Member

Fat wrists ?

Not in my case either. ‘Sports’ as in diving, absolutely. ‘Sports’ as in jiggly/wiggly, not for me. Even my fat Polar altimeter watch is a bit much sometimes and it doesn’t even have pointy bits.

Eaxlch to his own tho eh?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Do any of you worry about having several thousand pounds strapped to your wrist?

I still remember back in 1996 watching my dad ride into a gravel trap on Mammoth Mountain and go slow motion over the bars into the deep gravel. He came out unscathed but with a heavily scratched (couldn’t see through it)glass on his Speedmaster moon watch. He wasn’t bothered and it cleaned up fine with a bit of a polish. Still has it now and wouldn’t know.

w00dster

I have a Panerai and a Rolex with fairly large sticky out bits. When riding they do irritate, the Rolex is especially uncomfortable. I now have a permanent small indent on my hand where it’s rubbed.

SSS
    Free Member

‘I now have a permanent small indent on my hand where it’s rubbed.’

I have my watch on my right hand for that very reason! Normally wear a mid size Seamaster so isnt so much of a problem.

gaidong
    Free Member

She be here! First impressions. Small, but I’ll get used to it. The watch is in mint condition, and the box and papers immaculate. It’s running about 40s/day fast so I may give a burst of demag but beat error is tight and…. it’s a two-hander. Sat by the fire feeling very nervous…. 😀

boblo
    Free Member

I have my watch on my right hand

Yeah, I’m not American or one armed so, no thanks 🙂

Harris
    Free Member

@gaidong
    That’s a lovely watch.

gaidong
    Free Member

@Harris, thanks! I’ve successfully posted a letter without breaking it 😀

Kato

Very handsome @gaidong

Harris
    Free Member

Fingers crossed this link thing works.

Harris
    Free Member

Try again.

Harris
    Free Member

VC Overseas

Kryton57

Try this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mSFQ4E]Untitled[/url]

Blimey thats some expensive looking bling.

brads
    Free Member

Tried one of those on
    They look even more stunning in the flesh, and reassuringly expensive lol

Harris
    Free Member

Big thanks @Kryton57

CountZero

Do any of you worry about having several thousand pounds strapped to your wrist? I don’t think I would be able to relax on a night out, constantly worried someone was going to mug me?

Never really bothered me, but none of my watches were terribly expensive. That’s changed a bit over the last few years, with my Yema Rallygraf. My first ‘bought by me’ watch, and in 1970 it cost £50, quite a lot of money considering I earned a bit less than £10 a week! Birthday money helped, and I wore it continually until the mid-80’s when I bought a TAG Heuer Series 1000 ‘night diver’. Cost £250, and because it was a bit tougher than the Yema chrono, that got worn to death, on the bikes, at work, everywhere. It’s got a black PVD coating which is worn and chipped, as is the bracelet, I eventually swapped that for Animal Velcro straps, because the bracelet rattled a lot when riding, and used to leave black sweaty marks on my wrist. The Yema developed a bit of an issue but I wasn’t wearing it much anyway, and I’d bought several other watches, like a Yokobies mod Series 5, and a couple of cheap Casios.

Several years ago I found someone who could fix the Yema and service it, after the mainspring broke, which cost £460, which I considered worth it for its sentimental value, so I started wearing it again. Then I came across one online that had been auctioned in London, so I contacted them to find out what it had sold for – £3800! It’s no longer an everyday watch, but I do still wear it, I made a leather strap with the buckle from an older, worn-out strap, and I treasure that one. The TAG is now increasing in value, since it was discovered that it’s a ‘James Bond’ watch – Tim Dalton wore one in ‘The Living Daylights’, so it’s becoming a collectible now.

My daily beater is a Heimdallr ’Steel Tuna’ homage, which has in turn been modded, with new face and hands, and a fully lumed bezel insert, and a replacement movement, work carried out by one of this thread’s regulars; I’m reluctant to name him, I don’t want to be responsible for him getting a flood of requests for repairs and mods, so I’m keeping quiet, but it has a Seiko auto movement, it looks great, it’s very tough and I absolutely love how it looks; I do have another Heimdallr SKX007 mod homage, which hasn’t got much of a look-in lately, I just never take the Tuna off. Neither cost more than about £130-ish, I can’t justify paying more.

I really should start wearing the TAG a bit more, though, but it’s a bit small compared to the Heimdallr watches, and I’m more comfortable with the bigger case, even on my skinny wrists!

Oh, I meant to add, I was reading a Wired article earlier about Bremont watches, and their new building, very much worth a read…

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/bremont-british-watches

If I could actually afford a really good, expensive watch, other than a Tudor Pelageos, it would be a Bremont.

gaidong
    Free Member

@brads, earlier this year I tried on the full rose gold Overseas perpetual calendar. (like below but with blue dial.

Not my cup of tea, which is lucky as I couldn’t afford it without selling the house (and the manager was just humouring me :D).

The only VCs I really like at the moment are in the Historiques collection – again, all out of league but I have caressed them nevertheless 😀

brads
    Free Member

Both lovely but the first would be too busy for me.
    I need a plain , high contrast face or I can’t see the thing to tell the time lol

Harris
    Free Member

That Historiques is beautiful.

gaidong
    Free Member

The manager (with whom I flirt relentlessly and pointlessly) told me a great story about one of her clients. Came in saying his watch wasn’t working. Done anything to damage it Sir? Well, yes, I went jetskiing and didn’t screw down the crowns on the full gold Overseas tourbillon… Apparently he took the write off quite well. There’s a lot of seriously rich folks out there, beyond the comprehension of most of us.

SSS
    Free Member

PP 5146r. Doesnt come out to play often tho. If i can get the image to load….

PP-5146r

Harris
    Free Member

@SSS. Chapeau Sir.

gaidong
    Free Member

Wowwweeeee

gifferkev

That strap looks too tight. Guess you want to know it’s definitely on though

boblo
    Free Member

@SSS Nice watch/wrong wrist. Yeeehaaaaw, God dang etc etc 🙂

SSS
    Free Member

Thanks guys, she is a beaute. As i said I dont wear her often. I love the PP annual calendars, but the VC perpetual calendars are much nicer than PP. Hope to get one one day.

The beater watch, always on. Seamaster 300 (quartz – which they dont make any more) – and yes @boblo, ‘wrong wrist’ 😀

Seamaster300

Harris
    Free Member

317B1297-4316-44BA-9371-62DDE008C338

Better than my previous attempt

neilnevill
    Free Member

Wow. The last few pages really have gone up several notches!

Kryton57

Wow. The last few pages really have gone up several notches!

Indeed, its kinda shelved my “should I buy this Sale Antartica Monster” idea – feels like pissing into the wind in comparison 😀

gaidong
    Free Member

I know the collection is never ‘done’ but I’m pretty happy with it at the moment. I have a couple on sale on C24 (Sinn UX and Tudor BB ETA ‘red smiley’) but very little on the watch list, only this Patek pocket watch, which I don’t need at all but can admire from afar. I have a couple of movements inbound, an ETA 6498-1 élaboré to complete a silver dial/heat-blued hands deck watch, and a decorated and skeletonised Seagull ST3620 to make a Panerai Radiomir type jobby, possibly with a California dial.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If I wanted a nice looking watch for not much, just for the occasional time when I go out and my old plastic Casio isn’t appropriate, what should I look for? Wouldn’t mind something second hand. Just looked up those Heimdallr watches on eBay and there’s quite a lot from AliExpress etc, are they knock offs?

tthew

Heimdallr are just a fairly cheap brand that tend to copy other manufacturers designs, nothing wrong with them.

If  by going out you mean a bit dressy, then the Orient Bambino range are well thought of at a lower price point. There is a huge variety of Seiko 5’s too which are good value for money and a bit more sporty in style.

SSS
    Free Member

It all depends on how much you want to spend. And not a lot to some is a lot to others.

That Heimdallr Submariner with the ETA movement looks good and, well, with an ETA movement. Get the Subby look from afar with a half decent recognised movement (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA) also give you a discussion point with the watch.

I remember reading once before about the gradients of fakes (replica watches), from rubbish materials to top notch quality materials (http://express-press-release.net/37/Grades%20of%20Replica%20Swiss%20Watches.php) but why would you spend hundreds, nay thousands, on a fake?

Recommend look for secondhand/used piece which perhaps didnt get the ‘love’ on release, or something interesting but affordable. Tag, Longines, Tissot, Hamilton, Maurice Lacroix, Omega, …..

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Googling Seiko 5 and lots came up on Etsy. Does anybody buy from there, can recommend any sellers? I like the Orient Bambino’s. Probably looking at about £100 and fairly understated looking, plain leather strap for example. My dad has a nice Omega which I hope to inherit one day but he may decide to leave it to my son.

gaidong
    Free Member

I’d take a Orient Bambino over a copycat brand any day. Their own design and they look nice.

SSS
    Free Member

Another interesting historical watch in the collection. Mid 1980s Seiko Memo Diary (UW02). Fully functional

Seiko-Memo-diary-2

Seiko-Memo-diary

An no i havent worn it since the clock change 😀

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve many reasonably strong opinions about various watches and chief amongst them is that the only real Bambino is a mk1 and the rest are basically heresy – other than the mk4 which I’ll grudgingly accept. The mk5 however, well, that can get in the sea.

SSS
    Free Member

Merry Christmas!!

Another interesting piece from the collection

Vostok Amphibia – Восток Амфибия – (with Komandirskie Dial)

(about Vostok Amphibia https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-vostok-amphibia-scuba-dude-reference-420380)

Vostok-Amphibia

Viewing 40 posts - 4,241 through 4,280 (of 8,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.