Viewing 40 posts - 4,201 through 4,240 (of 5,149 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Premier Icon w00dster

Is it not made from Genuine Omega parts? Does seem a lot of money if it’s just a replica though.
    Does look nice, just wondering what would happen with regards to warranty and servicing?

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

I’d wear a Lorus before I wore a fake anything.

Premier Icon stevemorg2

Mainly genuine Omega parts – not sure the concept is that different to the Watchco Seamasters – TBH as much as I like the look I don’t think I could wear one – back to my hunt for a decent (relatively) cheap Speedmaster

Premier Icon tthew

🙂 on another cycling forum with a very good watch thread someone once moaned about bezel alignment, ever since the I photograph them all skew wiff and with that breitling managed to get all the hands at random places 🙂

In which case, great work!

Barton straps always take ages to arrive from the US. Pretty quick if you pay for expensive shipping, but anyway, they should be worth the wait when they do arrive. Also a selection available on Amazon if you’re desperate and/or don’t mind giving money to Bezos.

Premier Icon Kato

@brads

Exactly that.

I used to work with a bloke that spent £400 on a super clone Submariner, just couldn’t get my head round why you’d spend that sort of money on a snide when £400 will buy you a nice watch

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

You can spend 3 times that on a super clone.
    I’ve no problem with the 300s built from NOS parts, if that’s what it is. Fakes are wrong though. Although I admit to having considered a chinanoobfactory pam00389. Some watches are different and the fake offers a way to dip a toe without risking £10k.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother. I don’t buy nice things for other people to admire. I buy them for me and if they’re fake, I’d get no pleasure from them so no point.

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

If you wanted other watch aficionado’s to notice your timepiece you’d be better buying an Orient Bambino for £100 than a fake of a £50k watch.

Premier Icon reggiegasket
    Free Member

My local jewellers has not 1 but 2 GMT Master II’s in BLNR Batman in it’s window.
    Both look in good condition, with papers…£15k.

My local has a kermit submariner for 18k…

Premier Icon Harris
    Free Member

Even for a Kermit that’s big money. I let mine go in the summer for 12k.

Free Member

Actually, I just checked and it’s actually a Hulk (all green) not a kermit (green bezel, black face).

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

I dont know any of these nicknames for Rolys. Where/when did they make an appearance?

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

When peoples brains fell out.
    Imbecilic bloody rubbish.

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

I dont know any of these nicknames for Rolys. Where/when did they make an appearance?

I find it better to only refer to them by their model number – that way almost nobody has any idea what you’re talking about and you can feel really superior.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

Well that’s two ends of the spectrum… 😀

Premier Icon joeydeacon
    Free Member

Not into watches at all (although I did recently buy a 1982 Casio DW-1000), but genuinely find this thread fascinating.

Serious question (not trying to put a downer on things, just curious): Do any of you worry about having several thousand pounds strapped to your wrist? I don’t think I would be able to relax on a night out, constantly worried someone was going to mug me?

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

I don’t really think about it tbh.
    No point owning them if you won’t wear them
    There are occasions you might take them off but no different to locking your bag in the boot before going somewhere a bit dodgy.
    Generally if I’m out on the lash ina city it’s with a crowd of pretty hard looking bikers so I never worry much then lol.

They do draw comment sometimes. Some people are incredulous you’re firing down a decent on a bike wearing 15k on your wrist. But tbh they have to be watch types to know what your wearing.

Premier Icon SSS
    Free Member

No, the watch is for enjoying on your wrist, not for keeping in a box.

Unless your wearing the latest gangsta rapper Rolex, most high end watches, unless your a watch officianado you wouldnt know what it was or how much it was worth.

I wear mine on Nato straps, which some say makes it look ‘cheap’, but it also makes them look ‘cheap’ to the uninitiated.

Premier Icon Harris
    Free Member

I’m the same as @brads, I don’t think about it. In all the years I’ve been waring a decent watch nobody has ever passed comment. That said, they are usually under a sleeve.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

Aye. Hopefully it takes a bit of class to spot class but it’s not always the case…

Of course you might just as easily get mugged for your wallet, phone and £10 Casio unless your wearing something blingtastic but I tend not to buy that sort of thing.

Premier Icon lunge

Serious question (not trying to put a downer on things, just curious): Do any of you worry about having several thousand pounds strapped to your wrist? I don’t think I would be able to relax on a night out, constantly worried someone was going to mug me?

Not really, but then I don’t own anything silly money.
    I probably wouldn’t wear my best watch to the football in a rough part of town for instance, but happily wear it most other places.
    In truth, they’re all insured and if someone wanted it they can have it and I’ll be on the phone to Direct Line.

Premier Icon tthew

Yeah, I’ll wear whatever I fancy when I’m out, although mine fall waaaay short in terms of value.

On the MTB though, the main problem is that a heavy case smashes the **** out of my wrist bone, so I have to put a relative lightweight on.

Premier Icon cookeaa

Not into watches at all (although I did recently buy a 1982 Casio DW-1000)

Buying a rare ‘Pre-G’ vintage Casio? I think you actually are into watches, it’s just a different niche by the sounds of it. You’d be forgiven for skimming the last couple of pages of this thread and thinking everyone on STW has a Rolex/Tudor/Omega or three in their sock drawer, but plenty of us don’t.

It’s nice to look at other people’s posh watches and hear their thoughts on them, but I’m more a fan of bargains TBH and most days wear something cheaper, functional and often digital.

Premier Icon sas78

I’ve really enjoyed this thread. The variety of watches is what keeps it interesting. The Casios and Lorus (Lori?) Are just as interesting as the Omegas and Rolexes to me.

Free Member

+1

I prefer light watches, so I like Casios, Swatches and so on. If I wore a steel GMT or sub the extra weight would do my head in*. I can still appreciate their qualities though.

[*nips off to look at a titanium Pelagos]

Premier Icon Kryton57

The Casios and Lorus (Lori?) Are just as interesting as the Omegas and Rolexes to me

+1. And for me it often leads to interesting reading. This morning for example I put my Citizen AT Eco drive on, and couldn’t remember how to force the radio signal (turns out I didn’t need to). Googling for the instructions – because its complex in operation – lead me to read about the Citizen Caliber 0100, the most accurate quartz in the world – and discovering its quartz vibrates at over 8m vibrations a second. Flippin ‘eck. It’s a Hodinkee video for those interested:

Geeky perhaps, but I often enjoy where a simple quest for knowledge leads.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m fine with wearing my watches but am more aware of people around me when outside in the summmer and the watch is on show. london is getting risky for high end watches with some nasty muggings.
    i also put something cheaper on for diy/gardeninhg/biking etc

Premier Icon igm

Ok. A question.

I’m toying with getting my two boys the same watch but in different colours / finishes. And maybe another for me. And a similar more feminine version for my wife.

Apart from it being horribly twee (don’t care, still like the idea) has anyone got any ideas?

Doesn’t need to be expensive, does need to be automatic or hand wind, does need to be nice to look at.

Spinnaker Fleuss look nice but there’s no toning feminine one.

Ideas?

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

Dressy or sporty?

Premier Icon Kryton57

Ideas?

I watched “Christmas at the Savoy” last night and the manager lady bought her whole family matching Datejusts. Mrs K and I have matching 2007 Aquaracers as wedding gifts.

Invicta have a his & hers pro diver, as do Certina. Not sure how old your kids are, but a Timix weekender pairing?

Premier Icon igm

Dressy or sporty?

I’m going to be less than helpful in this answer.

“Smart diver” style, every day watch.

This sort of thing, this sort of price range for the boys. They’re 10 & 15 so they won’t wear it everyday, but I’m not buying them a Rolex each (even if someone would sell me one).

Lumber Black

Or

Nomad

I quite like the idea of a Seiko movement as it should be an inexpensive repair / replacement for a long time to come.

Premier Icon kilo

Maybe something from here

SEIKO

I’ve used them and they are reliable and good to deal with

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

Seiko , or Orient , Citizen etc.

Likely Seiko would be the best bet as their range is enormous.

Premier Icon lunge

Seiko 5 would be my thought, probably an SNK 807/809/805/803.
    Different colours, pretty bomb proof and you can mix the straps to make them dressy or more casual.

If they’d prefer a bigger face, Seiko SNZG

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

There’s somit about Seiko 5 that I just don’t like.
    I’d never consider one over a Seiko

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

If I wore a steel GMT or sub the extra weight would do my head in

‘Do my wrist in…’ Shirley 🙂 I wouldn’t wear a heavy watch clattering down a descent on an MTB to avoid the potential wrist/soft tissue injury. Some of the case corners can be a bit jaggy…

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

Sub isn’t that heavy really.
    What it is though is the exact watch to stand up to abuse like crashing mountain bikes.

Premier Icon Harris
    Free Member

My Sub is slightly heavier than my GMT and I have 16cm wrists, but I never notice the weight once the watch is on.

Premier Icon thepurist

Subs may not be that heavy but the knurled crown is capable of scraping away enough skin to draw blood on a big day’s riding.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

It’s just that it waggles and wobbles and is quite pointy in parts. Plastic Forerunners and the like are much more suitable for sporty sports.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,201 through 4,240 (of 5,149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.