• This topic has 4,435 replies, 116 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by SSS.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,001 through 4,040 (of 4,436 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Premier Icon umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I have a Max Bill and a Squale, so I think they’re both great watches.

Max Bill has an acrylic crystal with an anti reflective coating – looks great but it’s really domed so very easy to scuff!

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Thanks johnners, helpful.

This looks nice. Maybe not £999 nice though:

As everyone knows, I like G’s and have an MT-G (B1000), but not a fan of that rainbow one

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/85252658@N05/C341sN]2020-06-16_08-54-14[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

This is the offending Uncle Seiko bracelet – note how the first 3 links going from the end link taper to smaller than the width the next link starts at. I think it looks pretty poor, but it feels even worse with a very notable sharp step if you run your finger along the edge.

The offending Uncle Seiko bracelet

Premier Icon Kato

That’s not great at all

To be honest I bought an Uncle Seiko rubber strap for my Turtle but it’s really thin and the buckle is cheap.  Was disappointed

Premier Icon derek_starship
    Free Member

This is great VFM – 200m and titanium plus Ecodrive.

Currently £169 at Francis and Gaye.

Free Member

A fine looking Timex “diver” (Navi XL) – only 100m WR.

Under £250.

Premier Icon lunge

Nee CasiOak released and I am very, very tempted.

Premier Icon walowiz

One out, one hopefully in once the samurai is sold.

If it’s not the done thing to highlight a watch sale on STW, then can someone remove this post.

My blue seiko samurai up for sale here, just not worn it and unlikely to for quite a while. Real shame to have it languishing in a drawer for ages.

Latest Classified Ads

Premier Icon CountZero

This looks nice. Maybe not £999 nice though:

😖 That is truly grotesque! It encapsulates everything I hate about most G-Shock watches, made even worse with a case finish from the 1970’s. I’d actually be embarrassed to be seen wearing something like that.
    Sorry, but it really is a horrid looking thing, and should have been put down at birth!

Premier Icon cookeaa

😖 That is truly grotesque! It encapsulates everything I hate about most G-Shock watches, made even worse with a case finish from the 1970’s. I’d actually be embarrassed to be seen wearing something like that.
    Sorry, but it really is a horrid looking thing, and should have been put down at birth!

In fairness I don’t think it’s actually intended to be worn. Casio twigged quite a while ago that the G-Shock brand has it’s fans including some stupid collectors and so all the gaudy limited runs at exorbitant prices are intended for them.

To be unboxed and gushed over in a YT video then stuck in a display case forevermore. Ain’t capitalism great.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh dear johnners, they bracelet is not so good. I read the one I’m looking at is decent though. Although….. I’ve not got the watch I am thinking of fitting it to yet 😂

Premier Icon Murray

What do people think of the new Pelagos FXD? I think Tudor have been doing some great things recently

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

It’ll sell because of the MN link and little view it as a new Snowflake. It is not much smaller than the original pelagos, not a great deal cheaper, 40% the water resistance alth it’s still a serious diver, doesn’t come with a fabulous bracelet and clasp and the fixed lugs limit strap choices. However it’ll sell.

I’m sticking happily with my original pelagos

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

That’s not great at all

Oh dear johnners, they bracelet is not so good

Thank God for that, I was starting to think it was just me! I went back to the Uncle Seiko website and if you know what you’re looking for you can clearly see that’s what they’re like, so I suppose I can’t claim they were misrepresented.
    I also remembered where I’d seen the effusive review of the bracelet on YouTube – it’s on the Relative Time channel. There are some good macro shots and all the time he’s raving about it I can see the very same problem with his review sample. Maybe I’m being a bit picky but it’s hard to see how someone used to handling watches could have missed it or thought it was OK.

Premier Icon YoKaiser

After chopping and changing my mind a few times I’ve opted to try a couple of straps from AliExpress. A few you tube videos suggest that theres not too much difference if any than from some of the retailers mentioned. I’ll just need to wait a bit longer. It’ll at least let me see what style I prefer.

I was also intrigued by some of the watch offerings too and was all set to go for a Pagani explorer. When it came to laying out the cash though and when the tax was added it took it a bit out my comfort zone for something I’d not held or seen. So after a bit more consideration I’ve plumped for a cheaper chrono fleiger type from Escapement time. Reviews are pretty good and the brand seems trustworthy. Will see when it arrives.

Premier Icon Merak
    Free Member

I’m selling my Seiko, because it’s sits in a box.

£139.00

This is the actual watch.

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

I’m selling my Seiko

I like it, but I’ve 3 green Seikos already. And no money.

Free Member

Red and green is seldom seen except upon a …

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

Para and a Marine?

Premier Icon igm

Cox’s Pippin

Premier Icon inbred853

……a herc door.
    Maroon and Green🙄

Premier Icon somafunk

Frog in a blender?

Premier Icon Murray

… in Aberdeen?

Premier Icon Kato

My 18 month old Black Bay 41 has packed up. Won’t wind and the rotor sounds like it’s spinning free in the case.

any experience of Tudor warranties? It’s not been banged about at all and is worn in rotation so doesn’t get a hard life.

I imagine it’ll be while before I get it back…..

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Where are you based Kato? If you’re London then pop along to Rolex st James service centre. Tudor are good with their warranty support.

Had anybody tried a formex adjustable deployant? They look great, I’m wondering about durability.

Premier Icon Kato

Kent, Goldsmiths at Bluewater are taking it in tomorrow.  I think Tudor service is dealt with at the Rolex service centre at Kings Hill which isn’t far from my house

Those Formex deplayants have good reviews.  Carbon composite aren’t they?  Jody JOMW has a lot of good things to say about them but I’ve never actually seen one!

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Some sort of fibre reinforced plastic yes

Premier Icon gaidong
    Free Member

I’ve been invited to a luncheon in Paris with JLC. I’m not that big a spender but I’ll certainly be caressing many a Reverso in an inappropriate manner!

Premier Icon Kato

That’s some invite!

Premier Icon dmorts

…..just to cover the other end of the scale, did anyone buy anything in the AliExpress 11.11 sale?

I wondered about this for about £25

or this for about £75

but resisted both as really I have no need for them.

Premier Icon tthew

I think we covered the homage thing 90-odd pages, but I’m not hugely keen so wouldn’t have looked at them. I’m not averse to a cheap watch, (says the owner of multiple Vostok’s!) I did quite fancy a Sea-Gull chrono, but was surprised they were quite expensive – or I didn’t look hard enough.

Premier Icon kormoran
    Free Member

That Pelagos FXD up there ^^^ looks very similar to my original late eighties TAGheur Formula One. Quite pretty. I always thought the later ones lost the simplicity of the slim originals. Mine came with a rubber strap for £79.95, seemed outrageous at the time! Luckily I had a mate in the trade who got me a trade deal on a stainless bracelet, it looks mint even now – stainless body, bracelet and black bezel and face. Despite being supposedly tough, the second hand shook off on a dirt bike trip across the outback. One of these days I’ll get it put back on!

Premier Icon Murray

I used to have an orange TAGheur Formula One with an orange strap – bought for just over 100AUD which seemed ridiculously expensive at the time. I got a bracelet for it when I got back to the UK. At some point it stopped working and I just binned it. I still regret that.

Premier Icon Kato

So the BB41 has gone off under warranty and I was quoted 12 weeks for return……

Tried on the Pelagos whilst I was there and a BB GMT.  Think I preferred the GMT which has now given me something to think about

Premier Icon dmorts

@tthew

I think that’s what put me off in the end, they aren’t the real thing. I got a Starking last year, looks slightly Tissot or Seiko but different enough

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

The steel dive range were all the rage for a while in the summer on tz-uk. Then I noticed lots of them in sales corner. I think they are probably a key good beater or beach wear but lots of purchasers tired and flipped them quickly. Tz-uk is not entirely representative of the watch wearing public though.

Premier Icon sas78

I like my steeldive sd1970/ turtle/ Willard a lot. Long name though😉

I got a sterile one as the logo doesn’t do it for me. Have to say it’s amazingly put together and people love the look of it and ask what it is and where I got it. I did the whole milled clasp upgrade that JOMW recommended, but it’s entirely unnecessary really, it just removed the last remaining logo and made it properly sterile.

I’ve become obsessed with Orient Defenders though, have a Mark 1 that’s possibly my favourite watch in my wee collection, and a green Mark2 on the way and I am looking for the black one too.

Of the other Homages they seem to become superfluous quickly like Neil said above. The exception seems to be Escapement Time ones, which are lovely and my auto flieger is going nowhere!

Premier Icon CountZero

I used to have an orange TAGheur Formula One with an orange strap – bought for just over 100AUD which seemed ridiculously expensive at the time. I got a bracelet for it when I got back to the UK. At some point it stopped working and I just binned it. I still regret that.

Oh dear, that was a bit of a mistake. ☹️

Premier Icon IvanDobski
    Free Member

@sas78

My Pantor fills the Willard/Turtle niche for me, I’ve ended up wearing that quite a bit and it gets quite a few comments.

I’ve got a thing for the Mk1 Defender as well, the version with the textured grey/brown dial. I’m always checking ebay etc but they never seem to come up from anyone I’d consider buying from. The Mk2 is technically the better watch I suppose but it’s def the Mk1 I’d prefer.

On a seperate note – the S&B GMT has turned out to be a great buy, the domed crystal has something “bubble-like” about it which is oddly addictive to look at, the only downside is that it’s not the colour I wanted so there’s an unscratched itch there which, with their upcoming Black Friday sale, isn’t likely to remain unscratched for long.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,001 through 4,040 (of 4,436 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.