Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 8,684 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • cookeaa

@gaidong – Indeed, but the question is does it really matter?

After a month of being left the difference between my MB6 M5610 and my other non-MB6 G-Shocks/Casios will be maybe 10 seconds, only the F91 will be more like a minute slow. My old eco-drive seems to hold pretty well within 10s over the course of a month…

And yes I do find myself doing the occasional ‘survey’ and resetting them all to match sad git that I am…

At the end of the day though, all this “accuracy” doesn’t improve my own promptness much, within a minute over a month is fine (IMO), what’s that 5s/day? About on par with mechanical a Seiko from a good batch?

claudie

Gaidong, how do you sell direct to them? And when they give a price guide, the price doesn’t change regardless of what option you choose for condition? Thanks

gaidong
    Free Member

@cookeaa, nah, none of it really matters but some on the HAQ forum at WatchuSeek get weellll into it!

@claudie
    , first I had my collection registered on their website but I don’t think that’s a requirement. Under the sell tab there were two options, one of which was to sell to them. They took my OP no problems but refused my FOIS, both 2020 watches (ergo I think they want only Rolex pro models, Royal Oaks and Nautilii (Nautiluseseses?). Even à private sale is pretty easy though. Follow their instructions and list à price commensurate with condition and other private examples, and less than dealer offering, who have to pay overheads, warranties. Buyers can make you an offer, you accept, counteroffer or refuse. Do all comms through their system and you’re covered! I paid 6.5% commissionon the private sale, which seems fair.

iamjackscoldsweat
    Free Member

Having a bit of a watch clear out at the moment.

Anyone interested in my Certina DS1 Powermatic 80?

COSC certified and in as new condition.

Hugely under appreciated brand IMO. The quality of this is flawless.

Will knock £50 off for STW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255139333785

claudie

Thanks Gaidong

Bullet

An interesting article about the Grand Seiko manufacturing process and ethos if you haven’t seen it before
    https://wornandwound.com/grand-seiko-finishing-cases-and-movements-magic-in-metal/

Kryton57

I’d be interested in opinion of this, of which I’m 99.9% sure is going back on Monday:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2myMiEJ]20211008_202345[/url]

So, if you haven’t heard of these before these are great value £134 watches. The spec is Sapphire, NH35, screw down crown 200m, ceramic bezel solid links and scissor clasp and with mad lume made in the UK from WatchNow. It really is a solid thing which feels like more than the sum of its parts. Probably a great sub homage for someone.

The thing is, there’s no history, no story, no standout reason to own one and generally nothing to be overly excited about, especially when sat next to my other 5 diver’s. If anyone can find me a compelling reason to keep it now that its here, I’d love to know.

johnners
    Free Member

The spec is Sapphire, NH35, screw down crown 200m, ceramic bezel solid links and scissor clasp and with mad lume made in the UK from WatchNow.

It looks like a pretty decent low-mid tier subby homage from one of the Chinese factories that churn out these things. It’s certainly not made in the UK, not if they can punt them out at £134.

Worth hanging on to if you don’t already have a subby shaped object for your wrist, it’s a classic design that wears really well.

walowiz

Only reason I can find is that it’s £134 and people might be surprised when you tell them how little it cost?

My two cents, I don’t know how they can produce a s/s automatic divers watch for the price.
    But I can’t get past the little niggles, the logo, the outer ring numerals don’t quite look right, there’s just something about the watch that doesn’t quite look right to my eye. But it is great value.

I doubt if it’s really made in the UK?

I’m with you, my Orange monster gets worn more than any other watch (apart from the fitness garmin thing), purely because I like what it is and I have a connection to it.

That depth charge would never leave the drawer.

johnners
    Free Member

That depth charge would never leave the drawer.

I’ve a Loreo Hulk-a-Like which is markedly inferior in quality to that Depth Charge and I’m more than happy to wear it on a regular basis so you’re obviously more brand conscious than me. And yes, how absurdly cheap it was is a big part of its charm!

I have to say though that my favourite watch is my Gen 1 Black Monster but its timekeeping is showing its age somewhat so it’s not getting much wear.

walowiz

@johnners

I’ve a Loreo Hulk-a-Like which is markedly inferior in quality to that Depth Charge and I’m more than happy to wear it on a regular basis so you’re obviously more brand conscious than me. And yes, how absurdly cheap it was is a big part of its charm!

I have to say though that my favourite watch is my Gen 1 Black Monster but its timekeeping is showing its age somewhat so it’s not getting much wear.

I’ve never thought of myself as brand aware – maybe I am !, the OM gets picked over others as every time I wear it it makes me smile, it doesn’t keep the best time anymore, is looking a bit worn from too many surfing holidays and sea time, but is still the one I choose.

I doubt if I (or maybe the OP as he asked the question) would say the same of the depth charge.

cb200
    Free Member

The Depth Charge looks like a potentially great beater watch. I’d prefer it not to have ‘sapphire glass’ written on the dial, and personally I like my divers BIG, like 46mm big. Still, sapphire, ceramic, decent movement – it would be a great wear around the house/not mind if it got knocked watch.

Kryton57

I think my issue is that i like wearing my Arnie mostly around the house/socially, should wear my samurai more, have a seiko sea urchin, geckota 55 fathoms-alike and an aquaracer not being worn….

I would like a Sub homage (arguably the the sea urchin is) just feels a watch too many for the sake of it.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I can’t think of any definite reason to keep the Depth Charge and that “logo” is at least one definite reason to get rid of it.

Having said that, realistically, how many brands’ backstories are a reason to buy/keep a watch? I would say the important backstory is the one you create to justify buying whatever, not the one the brand tells you via it’s multi-million £ marketing budget.

My S&B turned up yesterday, really pleased with it despite it being not the watch I thought I ordered and as far as anyone else is concerned there’s no real backstory to the watch.

To me though, it’s a style I like, with a feature I identified a need for (however tenuously!) and it’s a US brand which seemed appropriate as it’s a recent trip to the US which paid for it and highlighted my requirement for a GMT.

So now there’s a relevant backstory to it which a more marketed brand doesn’t have.

Kryton57

there’s just something about the watch that doesn’t quite look right to my eye

It still has the plastic on the dial / bracelet so isn’t as shiny as it really looks

the Depth Charge and that “logo” is at least one definite reason to get rid of it.

Whilst I agree its not the best, its not as prominent in real life oddly enough…

johnners
    Free Member

that “logo” is at least one definite reason to get rid of it

Yes, it’s not the best even if nowhere near as gopping as the San Martin hexagon.

Kato

Was there someone on here that has Pelagos?

was wondering if it wears big at all. I know the reviews say the tall case and the overhanging bezel make it a proper chunk but the titanium case would keep the weight down?

Was keen on the Co-axial Seamaster but I already have an older Goldeneye one and they now put anti-reflective coating on the outside of the crystal which always puts me off

gaidong
    Free Member

@kato, I have the Pelagos blue dial and it wears very nicely on my 7.25″ wrist. I’d post a photo if it wasn’t such a ball@che here. Great watch that has its own style and doesn’t seek to imitate anyone else. Can PM.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m the other pelagos smurf owner. Like it a lot but yes it’s a chunky big watch. 6.75″ wrist and ok but it’s my biggest wearing watch.

brads
    Free Member

More Rolex jokery.
    They now have a full window of display models that don’t work and that , if you like one , can’t buy anyway.
    Admitted you must be a “preferred buyer” before being considered fo a watch that you like.
    I again stated I wanted a GMT
    So the sent me pics of a used piece of trash that had been battered about for 20 yrs and offered it to me for 11k.

I’ve had enough.
    Now selling a 4 line submariner .
    Going to blow the cash on a Tudor GMT and a titanium exhaust for my Kawasaki lol

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new strap for my Seamaster. I do have something in mind but would be interested in suggestions, currently have the metal bracelet. I can find AliExpress/eBay and Omega genuine stuff but I’m looking for something in between that I’m not going to worry will disintegrate on my wrist.

Anyone any recommendations?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Something from uncle Seiko or from strapcode/miltat or watch gecko?

kilo

I use a borscht leather strap on my breitling (when it’s not on a Zulu). Good quality leather and I swap the old brietling fittings over to it

Hirsch Straps

Tried a sail cloth one didn’t get on with it, from Barton, good quality wore it maybe twice just never gelled with it.

tthew

I was going to recommend something from Barton, I’m amassing quite a collection of them now!

Interestingly, the only one that has disappointed is the sailcloth one that Kilo mentioned. It frayed really badly around the tang holes from first use. All the rubber and leather ones, absolutely ace.

If you wait a couple of days there will be a 10 or 15% discount code I could share, one arrives most weeks for some random reason!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Yes Barton straps are good. I’ve a2 piece NATO from gemoni which I believe is identical to the Barton, it’s great.

The uncle Seiko bracelets are excellent I believe. The seamaster one looks better than the Omega in that it’s tapered

kilo

I use a borscht leather strap

Bloody autocorrect, Hirsch straps.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Many thanks, there are some nice straps in all of them. The Barton straps has a silicone one that I think may be ideal. Also a nato that I might try with the Omega but also have my eye on a Pagani in the Ali 11/11 sale which it would work with too. Looks like you also get a discount if you sign up for email.

brads
    Free Member

Just bought 2 watch gecko straps.
    Very impressed

tthew

The Barton straps has a silicone one that I think may be ideal.

Now they really are good. You get long and short parts of the non-buckle end so if you’re a skinny wristed bugger or want to wear it as a diver over a wetsuit, you’re covered. If I start my proper computer up in a bit, I’ll pop on a photo.

johnners
    Free Member

The uncle Seiko bracelets are excellent I believe

From my limited sample of one I believe they’re shite. I’m bemused and embarrassed to this day that I (uncharacteristically) didn’t just send the piece of tat straight back.

And yes, I know it’s a sample of one but the main problem with it doesn’t seem likely to be a one-off QC issue.

Kato

@YoKaiser

My 2541.80 sometimes lives on blue leather from Watch Obsession and a snide Omega clasp from eBay.  Cheap and no complaints

ElShalimo

There’s some weird trainer action in those photos

cb200
    Free Member

This looks nice. Maybe not £999 nice though:

kilo

This looks nice. Maybe not £999 nice though

ftfy

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thanks Kato, I have the same watch but black. I hadn’t particularly considered a leather strap, looks good.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Smart Kato. Particularly made by the white stitching.

Really jhonners? Oh. I thought they were supposed to be good. Maybe they are just marked up/over priced reselling of Chinese cheap stuff?

scratch
    Free Member

Blinking ‘eck! Pre-covid Speedys were lower end of £3k+, just wandered through town for the first time in two years and now they’re mid £5k!? Pretty sure both were base models.

Ones not coming my way anytime soon, especially with twins in childcare the majority of the week.

I have a Mondaine, I like the simple dial layout and it reminds me of travelling as you’d see the same clock face at the odd EU train station when I was travelling a bit more for work a few years back, had some complimentary comments as well but the movement is cheap

Anyone have a Junghans Max Bill? – floats my simple dial box with a Bauhous nod, is the movement another cheap bought in job?

johnners
    Free Member

Really jhonners? Oh. I thought they were supposed to be good. Maybe they are just marked up/over priced reselling of Chinese cheap stuff?

I think you’re right about their rep Neil, I bought a beads of rice (why “beads” btw, surely they’re grains?) for a SARB017 on the strength of positive reviews for Uncle Seiko in general and a couple of glowing reviews of that specific strap. Sadly it’s really not good at all. Sharp edges, a poorly aligned clasp and very poor execution of the taper part of the bracelet – it looks like they’ve just used 2 pieces the same next to each end link so it tapers in then back out again to the original width with a pronounced sharp edge in between links.
    I don’t like to be negative on what’s generally been a positive and enthusiastic thread but I’ll see if I can maybe dig the thing out and post a couple of pics.
    TLDR – if you’re considering an Uncle Seiko strap try to get hands on before parting with any money.

Kato

New Speedy’s have the co-axial moment now so that’s some of the price increase.  I’d love a moonwatch but I’m not keen on the new bracelet

cb200
    Free Member

Anyone have a Junghans Max Bill? – floats my simple dial box with a Bauhous nod, is the movement another cheap bought in job?

Not bought one but one of my favourite designs. The movement is a modified ETA2824 which is pretty widely used because it’s so reliable. Easy to service too.

The same movement (or a newer version 2824 2) is in the diver I’m hovering over at the moment, the Squale Matic. There is the polished case/indices (grey sunburst dial) but I think I prefer the satin case/indices (flat black dial) with the half orange bezel:

Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 8,684 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.