Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Watches
  • yetidave
    Free Member

Back from a spin along canal to find my watch is dead. Well half of the numbers are dead on the digital display. It’s only a few weeks old. Second watch I’ve killed in two months. So assuming I’m gonna get my £40 back, what (not overly expensive to wear in sporting type environments) watch to get?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

G shock.

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

Any G shock, you could pick up a G shock 6900 at a good price if you look about and they are bomb proof.

wrecker
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour and buy a G-shock!!

yetidave
    Free Member

Might look at g shock then…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Amazon sometimes have good deals on G Shock.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Reasonably loud alarm on the solar 6900 of that is of interest.

biglee1
    IHN

If you want to tell the time: £8 Casio digital; light, cheap, indestructible.

If you want to tell the time and project a gnaar, “let’s offroad” kinf of image: pick your G-shock

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s a watch, not an image. If someone makes an assumption about a person based on what is around their wrist, the watch isn’t the problem.

IHN

Fair enough. But what’s the advantage of the G-shock over the £8 one?

Duffer
    Free Member

In the interest of ballance, i should point out that my G Shock has recently run out of battery. It’s only 10 years old.

wrecker
    Free Member

But what’s the advantage of the G-shock over the £8 one?

From my experience G-shocks are tough. Really tough. IMHO, subjected to abuse they will outlive a standard casio digi. Is that worth an extra £40-odd? I suppose it depends on how reliant you are on knowing the time!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Swatch Skins are good in that they are thin and light so don’t bounce around on your wrist and they fit nicely under a glove if required.

stu170
    Free Member

I’ve said before that the g shocks are bombproof, had mine for 6 years now as a work watch, spends its life with me up to the elbows inside aircraft, getting snagged scratched, fully submersed in hydraulic oil, engine oil, and avtur. Still going strong, minus a few scratches. Bought for $38 from an American PX

mikertroid
    Free Member

Have you considered a G-Shock? 😉

Selled
    Free Member

I can’t vouch for it as I don’t have one, but I believe the Casio G Shocks are sometimes recommended.

dannybgoode

Sod the G-Shock – fussy displays with too smaller a digits.

This is the watch you’re looking for:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timex-Expedition-Digital-Display-T49951SU/dp/B00CYZOF28/ref=sr_1_8?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1460374290&sr=1-8&keywords=timex+expedition

Compared to a g-shock – watch on the right

I have one – bought it for when I was driving the lorries. Been scraped against pallets of bricks, under pallets, used in the foulest of weathers and doesn’t have a mark on it.

Plus you can actually read the time at a glance…

IHN

Yeah, but it’s no G-Shock

wrecker
    Free Member

That Timex looks pretty damn good for the money. Worth a shot I reckon.

dannybgoode

Its bloody good – keeps time remarkably well also. Hasn’t so much as lost or gained a minute in over a year now.

Note it is very big and deep too. But bombproof…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Swatch – cheap, light (important), comfy and last well.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Pieface

G shock, built to withstand everything your wrist can’t

reggiegasket
    Free Member

reggiegasket
    Free Member

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve had my g shock (AW590) for about 3 years and its been faultless. ive even stopped wearing my much more expensive watches because of it

Yak

I’ve broken numerous casio bin ladens, a few swatches, 3 divers, but only 1 g-shock. I don’t do anything ridiculous with them, just day-to-day stuff. I accept that watches are largely disposable items that eventually do get broken. But for years use to failure / price the g-shock wins by far.

Currently ‘borrowing’ my wife’s g-shock. It’s 18 years old and still in good nick*. (only had it for 2 months so far….)

*when I say good nick – I did cock up a battery change somehow and not all the buttons work. Enough of them work though 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

G-shocks are good but they get caught on stuff, smacked against things and so on because they are so sodding large. Also the straps are sweaty.

I like these

http://www.watchshop.com//mens-timex-indiglo-expedition-rugged-watch-t49863-p99941624.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shoppingfeeds&source=froogle&gclid=CjwKEAjwlq24BRDMjdK7g8mD6BASJABBl8n3c6BwjfVKyhaQL2Ef0G42HsNuXMlKlSu-YnnfLhaDsxoCkGvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cheap, look OK and indiglo is better than lume.

stgeorge

If you want to tell the time: £8 Casio digital; light, cheap, indestructible.

If only you could replace strap. Have a box of broken strapped casios, but they last me about three years each time before strap goes where its bent on putting watch on. Car mechanicing, mtbing and various stupidities.

Love them

mrsfry
    Free Member

Garmin Fenix 3

Cheap, pretty come with a choice of faces and widgets/apps to download.

Did i mention they are pretty

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s a watch, not an image. If someone makes an assumption about a person based on what is around their wrist, the watch isn’t the problem.

That might have been true 10 years ago, but we don’t need watches to tell the time since everyone has a mobile phone. Sure, there are certain instances where a watch is more practical, but there are also plenty of times when having a phone is more useful (purely as a timepiece I mean). So wearing a watch had become a lot more about style than function.

I have a few watches, including a G-shock (for when I want to look rugged), a seiko diver (for when I’m feeling nostalgic) and a basic £8 casio analogue thing that’s just so awesomely utilitarian. It’s also really low profile so doesn’t snag on stuff.

stuey
    Free Member

mrsfry – Garmin Fenix 3 are 300gbp – “Cheap”(?)

wrecker
    Free Member

So wearing a watch had become a lot more about style than function.

A panerai or a rolex, yes absolutely. But a G-shock or a Timex?
    The more pertinent thing is that people actually think like this. If I see someone wearing a Gshock/rolex/whatever, I just think “Oh look a Gshock/rolex/whatever”, why anyone would look at it and think stuff like “oh, here’s an outdoor wannabe etc” I don’t know. It’s not a good thing.

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

If size is an issue you can always get a 5600 they are quite small and flat on the wrist.

And stgeorge check here for replacement straps. Keith is an awesome guy and can get pretty much any thing. http://www.tiktox.com

mrsfry
    Free Member

mrsfry – Garmin Fenix 3 are 300gbp – “Cheap”(?)

If you buy it with the HRM it’s a bargin 8) . The new Fenix has the HRM in the back of the watch (not the one i bought and don’t like)

£330 next day delivery (did i mention it’s pretty)

PS

I don’t have kids

stgeorge

but there are also plenty of times when having a phone is more useful (purely as a timepiece I mean

Lost me there, how can a phone be more useful as a timepiece than a watch? Even if you did secrete your watch away in a pocket.

And thanks to Zer0

mrsfry
    Free Member

I don’t always have my phone with and if i do it is either in the bottom of my bag or hiding in some pocket. Watches are easy to wear (see Youtube for tutorials on how to wear them) and quick to look at.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Watches’ is closed to new replies.