• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Fudd.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • watch types
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Where is a decent yet low cost place for a replacement leather strap?? My Seiko automatic one has split 🙁

CountZero

I’ve got one of these on my Yema chrono, and it’s really nice, very comfy, and much better having a deployment clasp on it.
    http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-p20476h330s337-Watch-strap-Drayton-.html
    Not such a good photo of the strap, but it gives you an idea:

ross980
    Free Member

watch strap store
    I put one of those on my Seiko 5. 15% off with a discount code (“student15”?? Google if it doesn’t work). £8.50 delivered, can’t go wrong
    Edit: looks just like this:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeychild
    Free Member

Cheers. I like that one on the Seiko. This is the watch in question pic

thekingisdead
    Free Member

How do you get on with that 5 ross980? Was looking at one (or similar) as a very cheap daily beater.

ross980
    Free Member

How do you get on with that 5 ross980? Was looking at one (or similar) as a very cheap daily beater.

Can’t really fault it tbh. Can be had for around £45 from Amazon (I paid £48ish) , but the price goes up and down like a yoyo (look at camelcamelcamel to notify you when the price is right if you plan to use Amazon). It keeps pretty good time and has survived an accidental rinse in the washing machine. I didn’t really like the original strap as I found it a bit scratchy.

sweepy
    Free Member

I got one of those 5s, Its alright but I brought it to just wear biking and whatnot. Then someone on here tells me they cant cope with the vibration on the bike, but if you don’t wear it for a couple of days cos you’re riding the damn thing stops,
    Should have bought that bloody al quaida casio.

AlasdairMc

Unsure if the movements are the same, but I’ve got a cheapie Seiko Diver that I wear biking so as to not destroy my good watch. Vibration isn’t a problem at all, in fact I’ve bashed and bumped that watch so much I’m surprised it still ticks…

I’m thinking about a Seiko 5 as they’re a lot lower profile and the offset crown means it won’t dig in when biking.

Fudd
    Free Member

I got one of those 5s, Its alright but I brought it to just wear biking and whatnot. Then someone on here tells me they cant cope with the vibration on the bike, but if you don’t wear it for a couple of days cos you’re riding the damn thing stops,
    Should have bought that bloody al quaida casio.

Whoever told you about them not being able to cope with vibration is talking poo. Sure, they’re not unbreakable but they are as robust as the vast majority of auto movements out there. This is from Seikos website –
    Shock resistance was assured with two Seiko inventions. First, the mainspring was made from “Diaflex,”
    an unbreakable alloy, and the “Diashock,” system was created to protect the movement from shock within the case.

As for the water resistance, the SNK’s are rated to 30m yet some people insist that this means that it is only splashproof. I have tested one to 60m so rest assured that you can safely go swimming with one, or even pop it in the washing machine if you wish.

And for the OP, check out strapcode.com. They are Hong Kong based but any time I have bought from them they have shipped from the UK.

CountZero

but if you don’t wear it for a couple of days cos you’re riding the damn thing stops,

It’s an auto, you’ll never have to put a battery in it. That Yema above not only has to be wound by hand, but, astonishingly, won’t even last more than 24 hours!
    What a piece of junk!
    Actually, that’s around £500 worth of watch that’s quite possibly older that you are. And it’s my work watch, so gets worn every day.
    Oddly enough, winding a watch isn’t really that big a chore, in the overall scheme of things.
    My Seiko has a 55 hour reserve, so it doesn’t matter if I don’t wear it for a couple of days.
    For God’s sake wear the Seiko, it’s not going to hurt the damn thing, not unless you have a really serious off, and slam it into a rock.
    In which case, the watch might be the least of your worries.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I had a seiko five that I believe was a genuine one as I know there a lot of copies on the market and I sold it! It was utter shite I’m afraid to say, riding with it on caused it to be so far off time it was untrue and it would never last the night off my wrist without stopping !
    I just went for another most trustworthy Casio G Shock. Not pretty but has solar power supply, atomic clock time signal corrected and totally totally shock proof and water proof!

sweepy
    Free Member

I am wearing it, on the basis that if I dont its no use at all 🙂
    That deployment strap, would that not poke holes in the wrist of my merino baselayers? Thats the bane of my life.

unovolo
    Free Member

My old work watch was a Seiko 5 and never had a problem with it, worn whilst drilling 10mm holes in masonry all day long as a Sky engineer and ran faultlessly and still kept good time.

Fudd
    Free Member

Suggsey – Member
    I had a seiko five that I believe was a genuine one as I know there a lot of copies on the market and I sold it! It was utter shite I’m afraid to say, riding with it on caused it to be so far off time it was untrue and it would never last the night off my wrist without stopping !

Some ebay sellers would describe this as character! In all seriousness though, I’d love to know more about the one you owned. What model was it and was it new or s/h? There are loads of pretty but nasty old Seikos on ebay being sold as completely overhauled etc when they are nothing of the sort, but if you are buying new from Amazon etc then its very hard to go wrong. The movements are assembled by robots and the timing is only adjusted once so +/-20s per day is not uncommon, but bear in mind that we are talking about a mechanical auto winding watch which costs less than £50 new and they can always be adjusted for better accuracy if you wish…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘watch types’ is closed to new replies.