Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Watch fans – sub £100 smartish watch?
  • geoffj

Any ideas?
    No G-Shocks please

This sort of thing possibly – Seiko 5

Wally

I went for a Seiko5 mod from Harold My experience of this.
    By the way – that RRP of £250 is complete Mickey Mouse – £80/£100 more like.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

From Argos:

Would suit you nicely geoffers!

geoffj

dd – we had a name for watches like that when I was growing up and it wasn’t nice!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bit of Versus (By Versace)

Sorry, £15 over budget.

You may also like…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Stop, we’ve found one, at £20 under budget,

Leaving you some spare cash for this wallet (from “You may also like…”)

geoffj

👿

thegreatape
    Free Member

Pulsar Kinetic Stainless Steel on offer for £55 at Argos

I just got one of these for work – smart enough to wear with a suit, cheap enough that it won’t be the end of the world if it gets wrecked. Apparently Pulsar is a sub brand of Seiko.

Wally

Seiko>Pulsar>Lorus all same house.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yobokies Custom Seiko 5? They’re about £100

Wally

Sorry – I was not very clear – Yobokies (Seikoboy) is Harold.
    He is very direct and honest to deal with.

l0key
    Free Member
    enduroforever
    Free Member

Seiko 5

thatscold
    Free Member

The best value watch under £100

Look no further. Anyone who tells you anything else doesn’t know what they are talking about.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

i used this company http://watchhubs.com/en/ and bought this http://watchhubs.com/en/military/454-seiko-military-stainless-steel-band-mens-snk809k1-snk809.html at the time only £40. Fast delivery and no tax paid (under declared value on customs) . Plenty of watches under £100.

stumpy01

Skagen do some lovely watches that are generally under £100.

They also do some awful ones, but you can filter those ones out…

Here’s one…

Here’s another one…

Square one for a tenner over 100…

Bit more money, but nice…

stumpy01
    aP
    Free Member

Mondaine.

stumpy01

+1 Mondaine, but not sure you can get one for a ton….

I have got 3 watches currently, 2 of them fairly cheap but decent everyday watches and a more expensive (but still pretty reasonable in the scheme of things) Rotary that my OH got me as a wedding present.

But, I still want to get a Skagen and a Mondaine watch. Oh, and I need a new digital watch! Hmmm.

lunge

Seiko 5 SNK809K2 of Amazon, that gives you £40 for a leather strap. Job done.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A little over budget at £150ish, but this is teh shizznizz

Seiko SNDA57P1

somafunk

I bought this one from harold/yobokies, slightly more than your £100 budget at $315/£195 but have a look around his site and i’m sure you can find something that little bit different for your budget.

For what’s it worth (very little in the real world) i’ve had numerous comments regarding the watch and i’ve always been of a mindset that i don’t need a watch as i’ve got the time on my phone but since buying it in march this year now i feel kinda lost without it if i don’t wear it, and being mechanical it self winds so i do nothing to it apart from perhaps manually change the date if the months have 30 days and i occasionally knock it back a minute or two every month as it runs slightly fast.

I’m sure a £10 casio digital would tell the time more precisely but coming from a “i like nice things” perspective this wins hands down, no pun intended 😉

geoffj

Thanks folks – plenty to consider there.

p7rich
    Free Member

+ £93 change in your pocket

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Orient Bambino or Symphony. I’ve got a Bambino and it’s a great watch for the price and fairly distinctive looking – like a classic Omega but with a domed crystal.

13thfloormonk

Happy Skagen owner here too, not a watch wearer but was given it as a gift and it suits me fine, super slim and unobtrusive. Has drawn a surprising number of compliments too, but maybe that’s just Vancouver folks.

CountZero

Another Yokobies customer here. The Seiko 5 Military with a Yokobies face and hands mod is a lovely subtle watch, especially if you have the case polished.
    This is what mine looks like, only it now has a stainless mesh bracelet; I need to take a photo of it as it now appears, along with my Seiko SPORK, which has a Stainless ‘shark-skin’ mesh bracelet now as well.

CountZero

Another Yokobies customer here. The Seiko 5 Military with a Yokobies face and hands mod is a lovely subtle watch, especially if you have the case polished.
    This is what mine looks like, only it now has a stainless mesh bracelet; I need to take a photo of it as it now appears, along with my Seiko SPORK, which has a Stainless ‘shark-skin’ mesh bracelet now as well.

colp

Costco usually have a nice looking Citizen Chronograph type thingy in for under £100.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The Orient review which tipped me over the edge…

http://wornandwound.com/2012/08/29/review-orient-bambino-er24004b/

tron
    Free Member

Go for something fairly plain – a lot of the more ornate cheap watches are heavily “inspired” by stuff in the ££££ bracket…

Seiko and Orient make the best cheap mechanicals watches. They also make the entire watch, which pretty unusual – most Swiss makers will buy in the mechanical movement. I can vouch that the movement used in Seiko 5 is incredibly reliable and is capable of being very accurate – I think I’ve had my 5 for at least 5 years, worn it whilst working on cars, dropped it etc. and it’s still ticking along nicely. That said, out of the box, there aren’t many Seiko 5s which are knock out good looking.

The nicest looking cheap watches I’ve seen in a while are the Accurist vintage range and the Daniel Wellington range:

I have to say that the DW range looks great, with very thin cases akin to a vintage dress watch, but they have zero water resistance, so they’ll need treating like a vintage dress watch…

If you fancy a vintage dress watch, the Poljot / Sekonda De Luxe is nice and can be picked up for under £100 on ebay. Lots of these were sold in the UK as Sekondas, so repairs etc. shouldn’t be a major issue.

That said, I own several nice mechanical watches, including a Poljot like the above, but the watch I most regularly wear is one of these:

I love the juxtaposition of a bog basic Casio with a gold tone finish… It’s a kosher Casio (people do make fakes!), and was £16 from Singapore via Ebay. The time keeping is stupidly good, and the day and date is always right, which is ultimately the reason it gets a lot of wear.

clunker

Swatch?

clubber
    Free Member

+1 on Skagen. I got this one for £100ish and it looks good against much more expensive watches. It’s lasted a year so far which doesn’t sound much but most watches I have owned before die much faster than that…

Skagen Men’s 809XLTTM
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001WAKR3C

colp

There’s a Seiko Chronograph model SSB105P1 on offer in Costco until 24/11 for £99.99

CountZero

This is my Yokobies mod Seiko 5, with a 70’s Tissot stainless mesh bracelet, Breigtling versions of which cost around £600!

CountZero
    SnS
    Free Member

I rather like this one …
    http://www.braun-clocks.com/watch/BN0024WHBKG

…If you shop around, you can get it within budget 🙂

Was about to buy one myself when the battery recently went in my Mondaine – decided to just have a new battery fitted – it was actually a close call despite the price difference between a battery and a new watch.

ross980
    Free Member

Some nice good value watches listed. If it were me I’d go for either a Seiko automatic or a Citizen Ecodrive. The last thing I need is another watch, kind of wish I hadn’t bothered looking at this thread…

Merak

I’d like one of those Yobokies, is £100 a realistic budget for one?

bellerophon
    Free Member

The last thing I need is another watch, kind of wish I hadn’t bothered looking at this thread…

Me too 🙂

I always like looking at this site:

Werners Flying Watches

this looks interesting:

a watch

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Watch fans – sub £100 smartish watch?’ is closed to new replies.