Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Watch experts – are Mondaine watches an exercise in style…
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

…over substance?

My Suunto watch strap broke the other day and it’s got me to thinking maybe now is the time to buy something as replacement for wearing when I’m not riding or working.

I quite like the clean look of Mondaines Swiss station clock watches rather than the million dials of a chronograph. My life isn’t governed by milliseconds so I just need something that will tell me the time with little fuss. I have reasonably large wrists so the larger face sizes won’t look like Big Ben’s face on me.

Any users on here?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[Tannoy]

CYNIC-AL TO THE FORUM, PLEASE!
    CYNIC-AL TO THE FORUM, PLEASE!

[/Tannoy]

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say they’re hugely stylish, but they’re understated and reasonably classy. Get an auto, obvs.

scotroutes

Surely any watch that costs more than a fiver is an exercise in style over substance?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

[Tannoy]

CYNIC-AL YOU ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED

[/Tannoy]

😉

allthegear
    Free Member

I have one. I think that tells you something…

Rachel

MrSmith
    Free Member

Designers/architects buy them because they are supposedly cool and the Swiss railway clock is a design classic.
    Personally I don’t think that design works on the wrist.
    A Junghans Max Bill is a far better proposition for a ‘design’ watch IMHO
    If you were after a plain but functional watch with a bit more bulk then a stowa/laco/archimede flieger would be my choice

1-shed
    Free Member

Take a look at this http://www.braun-clocks.com/watches fits the remit of clear and simple and another design classic?

brakes
    Free Member

my Dad wears one (retirement gift) because he likes it and doesn’t give a crap that people like MrSmith will judge him and think he’s an architect which couldn’t be further from the truth 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m sure he’s a lovely bloke and been an upstanding parent to you but I have no interest in judging your dad, his profession or his choice of watch.
    An endearing story nethertheless.

aP
    Free Member

I have several Mondaine watches, and I’m an architect. I don’t have them because they’re “cool”, but because I like the clear simplicity and readability of the face. As long as you don’t allow an unmentionable jeweller in Richmond at them to change the batteries then they’re very reliable and keep pretty decent time.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I think they look good in a railway station!

Never owned a watch so can’t add anything else really.

lunge

They’re nice watches, look good if you like that kind of face, pretty reliable, I like mine a lot. The movements aren’t particularly interesting but that’s not why I bought mine.
    I am not an architect either if that helps.

redstripe
    Free Member

I got mine about 10 years ago, I like the fact that it’s plain, simple & it’s never gone wrong. I’m not an architect either

brakes
    Free Member

I’m sure he’s a lovely bloke and been an upstanding parent to you but I have no interest in judging your dad, his profession or his choice of watch.

aww thanks, I’ll let him know.

stumpy01

I think they look great, but have no idea about whether they are style over substance.

I wouldn’t mind getting one at some point; I like them because they are quite subtle, clean designs.

I mentioned them to an old work colleague who’d not heard of them. He ended up getting one, which I think let in water within about a month of ownership. It was replaced without question & as far as I know the replacement has been fine since.

kcal

I like the look and the movement of them, my wrists are pretty scrawny though so anything of decent size just blobs about making me uncomfortable and looking a bit daft and out of proportion.

Hence I tend to stick to the Casio Taliban specials these days.

Get an Apple Watch and put it as the watch ‘face’ 🙂 ?

hora
    Free Member

They are abit vanilla looking. Sorry.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have to say Pete, they do scream “architect” more than a polo neck in a Saab with an iPhone.

I liked your swatch I have to say, shame they have such crap crystals.

Maybe an artist should have one of these:

kcal

what’s with the architects (esp. in polo necks in Saabs) jabs anyway ? !!
    Know a good few architects – none drive Saabs to my knowledge. OTOH I’ve had a couple of Saabs, not an architect (but quite like the watches) and was 12 last time I had a polo neck 🙂

Scapegoat

My dad was an architect. He owned an Omega.

MrSmith
    Free Member

well i know a few designers and an architect all have mondaine watches. from a horology point of view they hold no interest to a watch geek as most are quartz and the auto’s are just a generic cheap movement. they are all about the swiss typography and ‘design’.

i still think a Max Bill ticks all the right boxes for an architect/designer and look nicer than a mundane IMHO
    (i’ll leave that autocorrect in)

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I have one. I think that tells you something…

Is it the time ?

nickc

They are a bit “utility” aren’t they

I’m not an architect.

london_lady
    Free Member

Having repairs done to them can be a bit pricy as I have found out. Having a mondaine dealer close to you helps – which I do. The night vision faces are really good but the chronograph has gone out of sync. I am quite liking the Helvetica range.

aP
    Free Member

I have to agree with MrSmith that the Max Bill is a more elegant, designed watch. However, for me the Mondaine has better usability as I have quite degraded eyesight. The minimal contrast on the Max Bill would mean that whilst everyone else was advised of my marvellous taste, I’d still be unaware of what the time was. So, Mondaine it is…

unovolo
    Free Member

I have one of the Braun watches which have pretty similar aesthetics and legibility to the Mondaine but for less monies.

The Max bill is more of a dress watch, still very nice design and legibility but less utilitarian than the Mondaine/Braun.

Another option would be a Stowa Antea.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m not an architect, but I have been a Saab owner. Some nice suggestions folks, thanks.

scaredypants

IANAwatchgeek

however

“mundane” – just saying (pretty much literally)

matt_outandabout

My brother does collarless shirts and a Citroen DS, clearly a cooler than average architect… 😉

bearnecessities

My brother does collarless shirts

Like, up the cuff?

Suggsey
    Free Member

I nearly got a mondaine for the self same reason, I liked the aesthetic simplicity and ease of seeing the time……but instead went for a Nite MX10 SS White numerals on black face ( love the nighttime luminescence of the tritium for ease of time reading).
    Watches are personal taste, so don’t worry about what everyone else thinks of your choice……unless of course you are an image conscious snob 😆

matt_outandabout

Like, up the cuff?

ba-dooom, tish.

matt_outandabout

I do like the simplicity of the watches in this thread.

I want one that is really simple, numerical face with date, and waterproof. All for under £100. Suggestions?

righog
    Free Member

How about this one Matt ?

Ebay Mondaine

£55

Edit

or one that actually works

Railway watch

oops ony 50 minutes left !!

but you get the idea.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

How about one of these – Seiko, japan only military style. Just over your budget but not by much.

Seiko SBCA001

Looks better with a simple strap but comes with metal band

MrSmith
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

That Seiko is pretty good. WIthout the 24hr markings and a plain strap, it would be near perfect..

*heads of to ebay to look at Seiko’s*

CountZero

There’s also the Yokobies mod version of the Seiko 5 Military watch that Simons_nikolai posted, with a SINN/Seiko SPORK type of face and hands:

Around £80-90. Ish.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Watch experts – are Mondaine watches an exercise in style…’ is closed to new replies.