Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Watch enthusiasts – advice and opinions please
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m considering buying myself a really nice watch for a major birthday, but I know very little about quality watches so am taking my time and seeking advice. Before I even bother going to Mappin and webb or similar to try a few on I’m researching and..well..I’ve seen a few watch threads here before so I’m asking.

My preference is for ‘an instrument’ first rather than ‘flashy jewelry’ to me a quality instrument IS a thing of beauty. So I tend to go for sports watches or plainer styled dress watches.
    This will be my only watch, I’ll wear it all the time, so it needs to fit with all occasions and clothes and…it needs to be comfortable – now here’s the trouble I feel. It seems gents watches are getting big. 42mm, 44, 46…even 52mm are common sizes now it seems. I’ve a fairly slim wrist. My current watch (a cheap citizen, stainless steel case and strap) measures 38mm. I strongly suspect that is my max size and larger will be uncomfortable or look stupid, or both. I think I’ll have little choice at 36 or 38mm though.
    I’d want a bracelet not leather strap – it would be worn doing sport and my sweat would rot leather straps very quickly.

Current ideas

1. Breitling Navitimer I really like the look…..but it is 42mm …and very costly

2. Omega Seamaster planet ocean A classic watch, at 36mm it is a suitable size,
    3. Oris divers titan date
    Hmm, huge at 44mm BUT it is titanium not steel. I’m curious…will this make it much lighter? could A light but big watch still be comfy?

then, although I am not so keen on dress watches, these have caught my eye and seem smaller.
    4. Oris Artelier Skeleton, with the movement on show it appeals to my instrument preference, and Oris seem great value (compared to Breitling, Rolex and many other quality brands)
    5. Oris Artelier complication Or another less flashy watch…it’s mechanical complexity still appeals though.

So, thoughts, ideas etc welcome

Woody
    Free Member

If you’re going to wear that nice a watch all the time, what about a Breitling Superocean

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I have several Omega watches from the 1960’s and 70’s, nice and simple and don’t go out of fashion. Beautifully made and will last a life time. I don’t have any modern watches although the Omega Seamaster above is nice. I only wear watches with leather straps hence my preference for older watches.

neilnevill
    Free Member

super ocean…. 42mm x 15mm (breitling’s tend to be thick)…if I can wear one that size I suspect I’ll go for the navitimer….or the colt if the cost of the navitimer puts me off. Thanks for the idea though.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’d go for a rolex explorer 1 – can be dressed up and down, looks good on any strap, 39mm, not blingy, a thing of beauty in my opinion.

kilo

Rolex got a breitling to and like it but a watch trader once told me that Breitling don’t hold there value as they’re always changing models and discounting old ones so would plump for Omega- alwas fancied a speedmaster

neilnevill
    Free Member

ooo, I’d discounted Rolex as ‘too flashy/dressy’ but that explorer looks plain and simple, will consider that some more.

loddrik
    Free Member

Id also only buy a sports rolex, probably an explorer 2 as ive had a sub and a gmt. Nothibg else will retain its value and desirability decades down the line. Breitling and omega are nice but if it were my only watch then a rolex is the only way to go. Also does tge smart/non smart thibg better than anything else too.

vinnyeh

I suspect the brand might have been hijacked a bit by city boys these days, but the smaller (39mm) IWC pilots watches are beautifully understated..

TheFlyingOx

Current ideas

1. Breitling Navitimer I really like the look…..but it is 42mm …and very costly
    Got an RAF Breitling off my mate and it’s frickin’ huge. If you have dainty wrists it’ll look wrong.

Rolex are always safe bet. Sinn do some very nice watches, as do Omega.

v8ninety

I think you’re all mad. Or far too wealthy for your own good. Or both? Casio triple sensor protrek here, it does more than all of the above and more accurately, without being a scary liability on the getting lost, damaged or stolen score. Plus, there’s no dodgy associated image preconceptions that come with the likes of Rolex et al.

Surely you’ve got better things to be spending your hard earned wedge on? Blimey.

greggparker9
    Free Member

I’ve got an Omega Seamaster that I wear everyday an I love it. Super comfortable, classic and not flashy. Still looks great after several years of everyday use. I would fancy a Breitling, they always look over the top and bling. The IWC watches are beautiful too. Those Rolexs above are nice but I’m always put off by Rolexs being flashy and all about the name.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Holly F%^&, i need to change jobs. One of those watches would pay my mortgage for nearly 3 months 😯 Lol

IanW
    Free Member

Worn this daily for a few years now,Oris titan with rubber strap v light quite practicle cant remember the range now but this is one of the simpler models. A really nice watch also like there dress watches.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I really rate these

http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/103_Ti_DIAPAL.htm and pretty much any Sinn watch.

v8ninety

And in other news, the Emperor spends an inordinate amount of money on ‘invisible’ clothes because he’s persuaded that they make him look cool…

dogbert
    Free Member

And in other news, the Emperor spends an inordinate amount of money on ‘invisible’ clothes because he’s persuaded that they make him look cool…

And not everybody can like or put worth on the same things…….kinda akin to buying a 4 grand bike when a £600 will do.

Back to watches:

The IWC portugese

Omega Speedmaster

And I’ve always enjoyed the Panerai

and especially for the haters, you could buy 100 or so of the terrorists favourite

Raindog
    Free Member

I have an IWC Spitfire, 38mm case (the older model to this, with a different font)which I bought in Hong Kong for my 40th. I love the fact that hardly anyone knows what it is, compared to a Rolex or Breitling (which most people will assume is a fake anyway). IMO the Oris is a nice watch, but won’t hold it’s value at all well, rather like most TAG pieces, whereas my watch is worth more now than it cost seven years ago.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Neil – remember you are not buying a watch! If you were buying a watch ie, something to tell the time, you do not need to spend the money you are considering – buy the casio above!

You are essentially buying a piece of male jewellery and/or making a statement (this is not meant to sound rude BTW) and you are marking an important event.

On that basis, the nice and simple, never go out of fashion, point is very sensible. This would point you to the Omega among your list – would you tire of the Oris’ frills? and Breitling is another that could fall victim to a change in taste (and growing up – not you are not Top Gun!! :wink:)

enjoy whichever one you chose!!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I wear one of these everyday

Very comfortable & I love the fact that apart from people who know watches it means less to them than a Sekonda 🙂

I also have one of these from the 70’s

But its also about as reliable as a 70’s car, so I never bother to wear it.

I also have a Dunhill dress watch like this

I don’t love it TBH.

Have fun choosing.

Also see HERE.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Omega Seamaster here, simplest one. Rugged and looks nice – in my opinion. Wear it every day.

I like the link with my Dad – he has a Seamaster from the early 60’s and all the fonts, motifs etc. are the same.

edit: it’s the 41mm, and it doesn’t look excessive on my average sized wrist.

CountZero

Of all those, if it was my money, then the Panerai. As clear and classy and understated as its possible to get. Tough, too. Not a fan of watches with fussy detail and lots of supernumerary dials.

transapp
    Free Member

Breitling Colt Automatic here as my ‘every day’ watch. I have girlie wrists and it looks good. I went for the blue face and stainless steel bracelet. It looks the nuts with a blue leather one as well. i only take it off for rough sports (MTB / Climbing) and martial arts.

Plus Mini Transapp thinks its an awsome toy!

neilnevill
    Free Member

team h,
    I agree.

IWC – just looked – pilots range – all huge except for one, portuguese, porofino and aquatimer – all huge 🙁

neilnevill
    Free Member

transalp. the colt is one I’ve considered. It’s big though isn’t it? Like it in the blue…very pretty

grantway
    Free Member

Ive had a couple of TAG watches and they take abuse
    But to be honest there range of watches look shite to me now.
    For general wear I have a G shock waveseptor for work and
    mountain biking never missed a beat.

One of the best time keepers are Omega
    Rolex are Jewellery and very bad time keepers.

Few of my friends have Breitlings

Just make sure its Auto and not Battery operated
    Auto watches keep there money and always wanted.

AlasdairMc

I’ve got a Seamaster Chronograph and really like it. If I’d wanted just a watch I’d have stuck with a Seiko, but I wear no other jewellery except my wedding ring and my wife wanted to get me something special for my 30th.

The Chrono is quite a thick watch, although I went for it over the regular Seamaster as the dial just looked a bit plain for my tastes.

Whatever you do get, make sure you haggle. I saved about 17% off retail by playing a couple of shops off against each other. It’s definitely a buyer’s market at the moment.

hunterst
    Free Member

Watches are another interest of mine – especially vintage

I have a small collection of omegas along with a few other bits and bobs and would always recommend anybody looking for a watch to consider vintage.

Some of mine

1967 Omega Speedmaster 321

1969 Omega Speedmaster MKII

1971 Omega Speedmaster MKII racing dial

My everyday watch is this Dugena Caribbean 200 – not sure of the date on this one but somewhere around the late sixties –

transapp
    Free Member

The colt seems ok on smaller wrists. Not as thin as say a Rolex but small enough not to look stupid! I also dont like numbers on the dial so the colt was the one to go for. I love some of the bigger (superocean) Breitlings, but they are too wide for me, the strap would go in straight from the face as opposed to out and around the wrist.
    I got bought mine for my 30th, I can honestly say if I won the lottery, I’d still wear it.

Edit: just measured it. 42mm face, 14mm thick

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I have a Panerai and as much as it is a lovely simple thing it’s too big to wear with a suit and too nice to wear as a beater, so it hardly ever gets any wrist time.

For those who “don’t get” watches, fine, yes we heard you the first million times – try another thread, this one is about watches.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Don’t necessarily write of the bigger size watches. It’s best to try them on. Some look good even on a slimmer wrist.

I have a Panerai which although it’s big (44mm) has plain dial and doesn’t feel huge when I’m wearing it.

piha
    Free Member

Some good suggestions up there ^^^.

I’d recommend having a look at IWC, Panerai, Breitling, Rolex and Omega. Sinn are nice as well. Remember your new watch will need a service at some stage and a service isn’t cheap. Don’t think about resale value on your new watch, just buy it for you to enjoy. I have bought several watches from Mappin & Webb and always got a nice discount, you could buy duty free from an airport to make your money go a little further. Try a few 42mm watches as once you have tried them you might be surprised on how good they feel on your wrist.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Sinn U1 or U2. Any of the Sinn range really.

neilnevill
    Free Member

hmm. Although this thread has given me some new thoughts, and afirmed some ideas I had, all the ideas are for big stuff Seems modern sports watches are just…big I guess. Even many of the dress watches are big now. I even read of one watch (I forget which, but one of the top swiss brands) classing a 44mm as a woman’s watch..FFS!

hunterst – nice watches, but as a non-expert (and I don’t want to become a watch expert!) I feel nervous abut a vintage purchasee. I also feel for my 40th, for a watch I just intend to wear for the rest of my days (perhaps)…the history of the watch should begin with me.

matthew -agree, I intend to go and try some on.

warton
    Free Member

couple of things. I would have serious reservations about spending thousands on a watch to wear for all activities. you will be gutted if you scratch it while biking! maybe spend 500 quid less and use the change to get a 2nd hand tag F1 for stuff that could trash it.

secondly, new omegas and breitlings are all very well and good, but they don’t hold their value very well. Other watches go up in value if you know what you’re doing. I don’t proclaim to know much about it, but there are numerous magazines out these which will help in your choice.

choose wisely mate!

hunerst: Out of interest what sort of prices do those Omegas go for?

depth-junkie
    Free Member

Anyone who says Rolex are just jewelery and bling etc etc has probably never owned one. Granted the one off bling ones are (just like any high end watch dimontee special)but the rest of the range form the sports models through to the date justs etc are just classic time pieces that dont date and hold there value. I have owned 3 Rolex’s and currently own a new style datejust, every time i have part exchanged one for another watch i have got my original purchase price back or even gone up in value (due to the newones increasing in Value/prices gone up)my current one i have had for a bout 7yrs and is worn 24hrs a day never comes off my wrist other than when on the bike. Goes swimming,skiing, to work etc etc

The only other nice watch i would own is a panerai luminor or an IWC.

My current Rolex cost £3550 7yrs ago, the excat same watch today ( and i mean excat) is just over £6000. So if i put mine in for a service with Rolex (costs about £250) and comes back like new, re-posiled (no scratches) new crystal if needed etc. I could easily get around £4000-4500 for it. So not bad for 7yrs of daily use. But im not selling it, as its a keeper and i will pass it down the family line when im gone to my nephews or my own child if i have any.

loddrik
    Free Member

I used to wear my rolex gmt no matter what i was doing. They are made fron 906 steel which is much harder than the 316 used by most oygrr brands (except for sinn and damasko who are tegimented and ice hardening respectively) and so really don’t mark or dent like say, an Omega would.

Used to have a panerai 089 and hsd to get rid as the ti it was made from was so soft it used to mark near enough every time i wore it.

I now just have a suunto observer and this ebel. Ill probably get myself another sinn u1 when i go back to work but that’ll do me for watches for a while.

brakes
    Free Member

I do like watches, but I really don’t understand where the price comes from.
    are you paying for a brand or are you paying for the craftsmanship and materials?

TiRed

Of your choices, I’d go for the Omega, it’s a classic (and will hold its value). In fact I’d buy a used one from the 1960’s. Oris buy in their complications (if that matters to you). I have an Oris and a VERY small wrist. Since it has a leather strap, I seldom wear it due to perspiration issues when commuting etc…

neilnevill
    Free Member

ooo, ti being soft…hadn’t thought of that. Should I avoid the Oris titan perhaps? although IanW’s above looks okay

I’m not too fussed about it ‘going up in value’ or ‘holding its price’ well. It is to be a present to myself to mark a major event. I intend to wear it and enjoy it each time I check the time, it isn’t part of a collection or an investment of any kind. think of it as you might think of an engagement ring for your wife….a beautiful thing, a ludicrously expensive piece, but its sentimental value is what makes it priceless, and the fact that in 40 years time after countless washing-up episodes one of the diamonds is cracked…or even been replaced as the setting loosened and one was lost, is…. irrelevant to you and her.

that said I’d like a quality watch to keep looking smart – I’d expect it – but should bear this in ind and not get one which will wear away its gold plate or scratch too easily. I am also tending towards an auto, even though a quartz would be more robust, more accurate and cheaper to run….quartz just doesn’t have the same presence.

I’m told with Oris, they don’t gold plate, the gold is actually ‘sand blasted’ sort of…and goes right through the steel case – so it doesn’t wear off over time. Is that b*****ks? otherwise I’ll possibly stick with a plain stainless case and bracelet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Watch enthusiasts – advice and opinions please’ is closed to new replies.