• This topic has 39 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by NS.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Watch as 50th Present Help
  • shooterman

So my wife is turning 50 in June. I was thinking of getting her a decent watch. Watches are something I only have a superficial knowledge about. I know some of you folks are into your watches.

Just wondering if Longines is a good make? Spotted one I think she would like but spendy and not far off the price of more recognisible brands such as Tag.

CountZero

Oof! Tricky call, that, without knowing her tastes; does she like dress-type, sports, glitzy, sparkly, big, dainty…
    I see women wearing men’s sports/dive watches, or large, more conventional styled, as well as dinky little ones.

jblewi
    Free Member

No feed back on either of the above brands I am afraid but I would avoid Tissot.

I was bought one and have had lots of issues with it, great looking watch but had it replaced twice and lots of repairs needed.

After sales service has been ok but given the issues I have had I would have expected to be treated a little better.

T-touch is the model I have.

shooterman

I’m happy enough with the style of watch. Just wondering if my money would be better spent on something more well known for longevity and reliability ?

Actually bought her a Tissot as part of her 40th which is still going strong.

nicko74

Longines is good watch brand; slightly less known than some but have a good reputation. Tag has a bit more brand recognition, and for a while it felt like everyone had one.

jimw
    Free Member

On the reliability question, I have been very happy with the Eco Drive Citizen watch I was given as a present 18 years ago. It has never needed a battery and it works as well as the day I received it. I use it as my daily alarm.

earl_brutus

What’s your budget?

shooterman

£1500 – £2k.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Longine is a good, recognised Swiss brand for watches, don’t fret. Be aware though, no matter what the brand, ladies watches lose value. I suspect this is partly why it’s more and more common too see women wearing men’s watches. In the current climate, men’s watches are also not a good investment. However I get to feel this gift is not for investment anyway. Yes longine are a good brand.

earl_brutus

You could be into 2nd hand omega at that price. A nice refurbished constellation. Or a Cartier.

shooterman

Yes, it’s not for investment.

Where would you being looking for a refurbished Omega or Cartier?

Wally

SHooter man,
    Post up a link to the Longines and that will give us armchair watch nerds an excellent start for suggestions, which you can ignore of course. Because the golden rule is buy what she wants no what you think she wants.

shooterman
    Wally

Where should you go for vintage watch extreme window drooling?

Well not right now.

CountZero

Because the golden rule is buy what she wants no what you think she wants.

Truer words were never spoke! To do otherwise can really only go one way, and that way is almost certain to end in tears.
    Just noticed wally’s photo – been through there, best not to carry any means for purchasing anything. Or have an iron will. The prices for what are rather ghastly looking watches are eye-watering, and rather nice vintage watches likewise.

nicko74

Good call – a Cartier would be lush. Something like watches.co.uk (there are other similar sites too) could be worth a look.
    https://www.watches.co.uk/watches/ladies-watches/?filter=%26fd5%3D28

Wally

shooterman

Thanks for the link. This is a minefield!

Wally

Mrs Wally likes the 2nd – ArtDeco

nickb

Go vintage. A nice 1960s or 70s Rolex or Omega. Maybe one from her birth year??

Wally

Minefield maybe – but you are in driving seat of a Hobart Funny – there could never be a more buyers market.

CountZero

Looking at the second one of those two posted by the OP, made me wonder if a classic tank-style watch would be appreciated? Very, very stylish, especially back in the 20’s-30’s, and not just women’s watches, but men’s as well; I found this Longines watch which is very classy, I’d actually wear a man’s version of a watch like it, if I needed a dressier watch.
    https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/longines-dolcevita-alligator-leather-strap-watch-25-8mm-x-42mm/4750236/lite

earl_brutus

Watchfinder.co.uk May be worth a look. Even a Rolex for 2.5k. They do sometimes haggle on the listed price.

shooterman

Vintage from the birth year is an excellent idea!

I would definitely wear the male version of that Longines. Very calssic and understated. However, I think she prefers a bracelet type.

shooterman
    brads
    Free Member

Subjective beyond belief.

If you buy her a 2k watch she’ll likely hanker for a G shock.

TiRed

Used Cartier Tank Francais (Quartz). Nothing too bling. Timeless. 2K might find one.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

check out watchfinder on youtube. Addictive stuff.

greentricky
    Free Member

You could probably find a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso in that price range as well second hand

neilnevill
    Free Member

2k for a used ladies quartz tank? Doubt it… Half that more likely for a ladies one. I’d love you too be right and me out of touch as my wife has one she bought new, worn..err…. About twice…. It’s immaculate but despite me telling her to wear it, it comes out the safe about twice a year to check the battery is not flat, if we remember. She won’t sell it though either…..I do not and will never understand.

neilnevill
    Free Member

But yes, a tank is a timeless style, decorative dress piece they suits ladies, Cartier is a top watch brand and a quartz is ideal for a non watch nerd.

Wally

I second NeilNevill- get a really good quartz.

TiRed

Ah – I’d not realised the quartz were that bit cheaper than the mechanical. Lovely watches for daily wear. Mrs TiRed has expressed an interest too. A YLC Reverso would also be lovely, but budget a bit low?

For daily wear, I’d definitely go stainless steel, non-bling.

CountZero

However, I think she prefers a bracelet type.

It wouldn’t be difficult to have an appropriate bracelet fitted, it’s just that originally Tank watches tended to have a leather strap, in fact I think all wrist watches did, bracelets came a bit later.
    A very quick search shows there’s a bracelet version…

I have to say, that’s a seriously classy looking watch!

dakuan
    Free Member

+1 on the cartier tank, quartz are a lot slimmer too.

Sounds ghoulish, but jewelry shops are hurting pretty bad at the moment. If you phone around you’ll get upto a 25% discount.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Indeed, I’m constantly being emailed by Ernest Jones and some others I must have signed up to something with, offering discounts of that size. Now is a strong time for buyers with cash to negotiate.

shooterman

I’m going to have a look around for the Cartier tank. That Longines I hadn’t seen but is exactly to my wife’s taste!

Yep, emails from Goldsmiths and Ernest Jones almost daily offering 25% or more off.

nickb

Personal choice, but I’d never spend “big money” on a quartz watch. I’d go mechanical (manual or auto) – at least it then has some real engineering qualities to justify the cost. You can buy a quartz watch for a tenner…

Mrs nickb has a Cartier tank auto – beautiful watch. Having said that, it’s not great at staying on time, but maybe that’s part of the charm!!

dakuan
    Free Member

Probably one for Watches N+1 but not all quartz are alike! You can get an auto watch for £10 if you want too.

@OP, please consider phoning around local jewelers, Goldsmiths are a shower of shit heads. (wanted to buy a fancy watch, not a rolex, and they basically told me to **** off and come back when i wanted to spend 10k on something else)

NS
    Free Member

If I were to be spending £2K on a watch for my wife (she should be so lucky) – I would be seriously looking at an automatic Tudor watch.
    A lot of Tudor watches will be above your budget, but should be plenty of 28mm /32mm / 36mm watches around £2k.
    They are excellent quality & finish with 5 year warranty & the little brother of Rolex.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Watch as 50th Present Help’ is closed to new replies.