Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Wasting away.
  • cyclingwilly
    Free Member

I’m not blowing my own trumpet on this as I know there will be others who have done better than me. This time last year, I was a nit on a gnat’s knacker from weighing 18 stonI was weighed today and I’m 14 stone 2 lb. Yes, I’m very happy, as is my doctor, I would like to get to 13 stone, but any further and I think I would be over doing it, but, never say never. I’m 5′ 10″ and be 57 next Monday, so I cannot complain at my efforts. Considering, I’m an leg amputee, with a knackered back, osteo-arthritis and fibromyalgia, no doubt something else will decend to attack my body shortly, but I love my cycling, road bike or mountain bike, I have to do it, it’s an addiction I’m very happy to have. Another plus, I’ve gone from 3XL clothing to size large, that’s a great bonus in itself.
    So remember if your having a bad day, the following day may be totally different and it may just give you what you want. I live day to day, but find something positive in everyone.

Enjoy yourselves.

alan.

ads678

Nice one. Good effort fella.

frankconway

Good man, well done.

jimdubleyou

Does missing a leg affect your BMi adversely ?

🙂 good work

wiggles
    Free Member

I’m an leg amputee

was that in the last year? as I think that counts as cheating 😉

Seriously, though well done I`m in a similar boat… mine is just still a lot lower in the water 😆

I hope I can say something similar in the next year.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

That’s a lot to lose! I got up to 17st last year from injury and being off work, exercise etc. for 18 months and would be over the moon to get down near that sort of figure. Been cycling hard for 6 months now and have just started a physical job but I need to do more before I make much of a dent on it.

It’s sounds to me like you think of it as a bit of a hollow victory what with having having all those other problems; But less weight for your body to deal with will no doubt help with them not to mention everything else. Some people may say that the positive attitude is a bit sappy but I reckon there’s nothing wrong with looking for the good so as long as you watch out for the bad.
    Good on you, best of luck.

Speeder

That’s amazing! Well done, great effort.

jamj1974

That is bloody fantastic! Really well done.

SaxonRider

Great post!

wiggles
    Free Member

Also does your username have anything to do with how you manage to ride a bike with one leg? 😯

I bet you are faster than me as well…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nice work !

cyclingwilly
    Free Member

Also does your username have anything to do with how you manage to ride a bike with one leg?

I bet you are faster than me as well…

As regards to the above comment, no! I use SPD’s, to keep my leg on the pedal. Thanks for the positive comments, they mean a lot and I’m no spring chicken. I have me bikes fairly low geared, but there are times, when I have to get off and push, but, I’m doing more than the “sofa surfers!”

wiggles
    Free Member

Very impressive, should really get out and ride my bike more…

Watched a programme about the BC bike (or something with loads of mountains in Canada anyway) race a ages ago and there was a guy with one leg (above knee amputation so nothing to pedal with at all) that did the whole thing with just the power of one leg made me feel very lazy with my 2 legs…

shermer75
    Free Member

Very impressive stuff!! I’m gonna reread this thread every time I’m feeling too lazy to get out on the bike..

sbob
    Free Member

Well done sir! 😀
    You’re an inspiration.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You sure you didn’t do one weigh with the leg on and one with it off?

CheesybeanZ

Welcome to the madhouse , top effort .

funkmasterp

Top job OP 🙂 hope you reach your target weight soon. If you can do it with one leg and other ailments the rest of us have no excuses.

tomwoodbury

Amazing effort.

allthepies
    Free Member

Nice one!

Sandwich

Well done, keep at it and you never know you might get down to high 70’s (Kg) in a year or so.

cyclingwilly
    Free Member

Once again, I thank you all for the positive comments, the leg loss wasn’t last year, it happened over 30 years ago, I’m a below knee amputee, so have a little input into pedaling, but have to be careful with sweating, rubbing and chafing, but if that happens, it’s a case of having a day off and being careful. As for getting to 70kg (11 stone in old money), may be taking it too far, as I’ll probabaly look like a Belsen victim, but, I’ll be putting the effort in. Watch this space.

Cheers.

Alan.

nuke

Very well done Alan…top effort!

retro83
    Free Member

well done that man

do you have a special prosthesis for cycling?

Cougar

As for getting to 70kg (11 stone in old money), may be taking it too far, as I’ll probabaly look like a Belsen victim, but, I’ll be putting the effort in. Watch this space.

Cheers.

Alan.

It’s doable. I’m the same height as you and sub-11 stone. And Alan.

sturmeyarcher

Nice one, high five.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Nice one OP! Success such as yours need not be enjoyed in isolation. In recognition of your efforts I can offer you a late entry to our very own fat knacker society, should you care to join us:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/corpulent-collective-2018/page/3?replies=96#post-8939377

avdave2

So remember if your having a bad day, the following day may be totally different and it may just give you what you want.

Yep tomorrow could be so bad that you’d do anything for it to be yesterday. 🙂

MrSparkle

Fair play fella!
    PS I’m 55, your height and weigh 10 1/2 stone. Skinny (fell) racing snake but only look malnourished if I get below 10st.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Keep smashing it and go down fighting.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Wasting away.’ is closed to new replies.