Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Waste ground – what would you do with this?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Waste ground by molgrips, on Flickr

It’s a sewer easement, so no house, but no-one’s come to claim it. Personally I’d like a wildflower meadow but it’d require a significant investment in seeds I reckon, it’s quite large. And it’s also currently full of docks which won’t take no for an answer I’d guess. I’m not sure I can afford that much round up!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

buy a land rover as now you have some “off roading” to do?
    put some proper weed (s) on it?
    Perhaps a nice little terraced garden with patio?

Pook

techy climb and rock garden descent. Model it on the middle bit of cavedale.

wwaswas

little area for some hippity hoppity trials bike action?

trail_rat
    Free Member

rent it to pikeys to pitch caravans on .,…..

save them pitching up on the rugby ground…. room for at least 8 caravans on there.

RustySpanner

Putting green?

dabble
    Free Member

Build a big slide down it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

obviously

chewkw
    Free Member

Veg patch … 🙂

MadPierre

Wooden drops to nice transition practice area

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

just add cheese . . .

letmetalktomark

Inquire with LR to see who legally owns it.

If legally owned maybe contact them to see if they would be interested in leasing it to you/going in on sowing seeds?

If not owned put up fence at the bottom – wait 12(?) years and it will be all yours …..

klumpy
    Free Member

Too small for riding on.
    Build a RC buggy race track/skills area.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if no one looks after it just chuck seeds on it ….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sneak out one night and roughly dig a 7 foot by 2 foot trench so that it’s clearly disturbed soil. Make a half arsed attempt at covering it with some twigs, etc and leave an old ripped t-shirt somewhere close by that you’ve spilt red food dye on.

Observe what happens the next day and report back to us – pictures essential, video preferable

sharkbait
    Free Member

Mini dry ski slope?
    Is that your house next to it?

cbike
    Free Member

Wild flowers harder to sow and establish that you’d think. Rocky alpine stuff? Floral clock? Scale model of Les arcs?

lemonysam
    Free Member

terraced Veg Patch?

trail_rat
    Free Member

olive grove ? vineyard ?

messiah
    Free Member

Extreme Wheely Bin racing… oh yeh!

irelanst
    Free Member

You could get a couple of semi town houses on that.

ads678

If it’s a sewer easement, its owned by the local water authority. Complain and tell them to come and make it look nice.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Is that your house next to it?

if it is… it’s been taken from the neighbours bedroom!! 😯

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Generic roundup costs about 30 quid for a gallon. It would take 200ml in a knapsack sprayer to finish that off…

molgrips
    Free Member

Scale model of Les arcs?

Winner so far! 🙂

It’s council owned afaik as a sewer easement. Having said that, part of the easement goes under our property (which is why our fence at the bottom of the pic, under the ivy is not quite at the edge of our land) so people can still apparently own the land over this thing. Maybe I will check with the LR after all.

st

Cut it and try to let the grass recover and supress the weeds, keep on top of cutting and then bung in your wildflower seeds when it’s in a abteer state.

Is the house next to it occupied? Looks as though it is so I guess you’d need to speak to them as part of the process. Likewise some of your other neighbours, if there’s a concensus you might all be able to chip in.

I wouldn’t spend to much in time or effort though and wouldn’t significanlty alter the plot either. That way if anyone does pick you up on it your response is that you are just keeping it maintained.

cookeaa

What’s the local community like? Could it become a bit of a of mini community allotment/ and/or a Barbeque area project?

Just to help you and the neighbors to all rub along together a bit better and grow some cheap veg?

ads678

Your fence should still be able to go to the boundary of your land. The easement right are so no permanent structures are built on or near the sewer. So technically you could build a shed on it but not extend your house.

Check with the local authority to see who owns the sewer, cos who ever is responsible for that owns the land/easement rights.

Where in the country is it?

z1ppy

I’d suggest a little bit of guerrilla gardening, turning it into a tiered veg patch.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sorry – yes, this came up because I was discussing it with the guy who lives in the house in the picture. He’s always complaining about how messy it looks, it was him that pulled up the weeds in the bottom corner.

I suppose if we attacked most of the perennial weeds and then kept strimming it every so often we’d end up with lots of hay and maybe some naturally seeded flowers, we could augment them with a few seeds if possible.

Your fence should still be able to go to the boundary of your land

Hmm.. you say this after I just spent days repairing the existing fence and adding a gate.. bah.. it’s a small garden too so the extra 4ft would make a difference… It’s in South East Wales btw

The neighbours are ok but I don’t imagine they’d be willing to put in the graft, we all have small kids. Making a garden out of it would be lovely but even after the initial graft it’s a lot of work to weed – quite a big area, 80m2 according to google.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive taken the strimming and weedkilling approach with the ditch at my road end. i have the corner plot.

It will be kept strimmed and ill stick down meadow seed.

was fed up of the ivy growing into my garden.

shifter
    Free Member

Moonter would have a wooden studio on stilts on that in about a week…

samuri
    Free Member

I’d definitely try and landscape that.

rockhopperbike

community chillax/ bbq area sounds good, brick built bbq and a few levelled areas for chairs n whatnot-rest wild seed

chakaping
    Free Member

Floral cock?

Sounds like a winner to me.

wwaswas

a sewer easement

I have no idea what one of these is but it’s almost poetic.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Put a couple of goats on it.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife suggested building some paths for our kids to run up and down, and we could add some seats for the parents to sit. I think the first thing is to control the perennial weeds and keep it strimmed.

Anyone selling a petrol strimmer?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I’d like a wildflower meadow but it’d require a significant investment in seeds I reckon.

Nah, seeds for that sort of area will cost a few quid

crikey
    Free Member

Get a lawnmower and a piece of rope. Stand at the top and lower the mower, then repeat.

I’d turn it into a zig-zag path to a seat at the top, and put stuff at the corners to avoid folk cutting them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Waste ground – what would you do with this?’ is closed to new replies.