Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wasps
  • ratherbeintobago

Anyone seen any this year?

Is it just that we’ve not been eating outside, or because it’s been too hot/dry for them? Is it just not quite late enough in the year?

jam-bo

Plenty in the SW.

ratherbeintobago

None in the NW that I’ve seen, but then the weather has been pants since the end of May and I’ve not been outside as much. Is it just a bit too early?

I went to Dunham Massey last summer and there were clouds of them…

dove1

The marmite-pooing little bastards have made in a nest in the roof of my house.
    They keep flying in to the house but can’t seem to find their way out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, seen a fair few, but it’s early yet, August into sept is wasp season here.

Houns

None yet, won’t be long until I find a nest or two with the brushcutter at work

theboatman
    Free Member

Yes, in my bit of Derbyshire, but not in the usual number by a long way

pondo

Only seen a couple of wasps, but our solitary bee house is (ahem) buzzing. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

kennyp
    Free Member

Been plenty around Edinburgh for about a month now. Quite early for them this year.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Yes, in my bit of Derbyshire

I can attest to that. Luckily I have a set of chopsticks from Mr Miyagi.

Once in my vicinity they become deep-fried delicacies.

breadcrumb

Caught 3 nests in production (garden shed, workshop and wood shed) during early lockdown.

I’m not a wasp fan in the slightest.

bruneep

Yup had a nest in eaves of house to deal with this week.

brokenbanjo

Got a nest out back, doing a grand job. Had a few early on hunting small flies on the spyrocantha flowers. Was pretty awesome to watch. Hoping they feast on the cabbage caterpillars when they arrive. Had a nest in the eaves last year, given I don’t hang around on the roof, figured I’d leave them.

MoreCashThanDash

Still a little early for them in my part of Derbyshire.

Do seem to have more bees this year, which is encouraging.

stumpy01

We’ve had a few in the garden. They arrive about 2 mins after we sit down for a peaceful lunch & I then proceed to ‘morris dance’ around the garden with a tea towel and a fish slice….

easygirl

BigJohn

I think I spotted one a couple of days ago. Windsurfing, and halfway through a fluffed manoeuvre I had to grab the uphaul rope. I thought there was a bit of fluff on it, but it turned out to be a wasp which kindly left its sting in my palm. Flipping Heck! I’d always thought that windsurfing in a stiff breeze was so absorbing that there wasn’t enough room in your head for outside irrelevances like pain, but I was wrong.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Had a hornet in the shed a few weeks ago.

Lots of bumbles in the garden.

All quiet on the wasp front.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I saw a wasp after i felt the ****.

I quite like them. They can be heard stripping my chestnut fencing most sunny days.

mildbore

Big fan of wasps, especially as a gardener. My neighbour always freaks out at them especially in their crazy season. I “solved” her problem with them by putting out some jam every morning, wasps would gather round the jam and ignore us. I had so much fun putting jam out and telling her I was feeding my babies in the way she does with birds.
    All you haters need to read up on their life cycle, fascinating creatures

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wasps’ is closed to new replies.