Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Wasps!
  • tyger
    Free Member

Everywhere and very persistant this weekend – any eating or drinking outside beware!!

fasthaggis

Everywhere!

Lies

I looked outside ..no wasps

🙂

jekkyl

they should be eradicated from existence, with nettles. Why a plant that is so prevalent needs self defence is beyond me.

organic355
    Free Member
    fasthaggis

they should be eradicated from existence, with nettles.

Bit harsh, he’s not that bad

duntstick
    Free Member

Not a problem 🙂

Nobby

they should be eradicated from existence

Having been stung on the neck yesterday, mid-ride, I’d agree with this. My head still aches. 👿

bikebouy
    Free Member

Agreed, taken a bit of a shine to MrsBouy.

We’ve been chased by them over the last few days too, can’t seem to outpace the buggers.

nickc

Pretty much Every insect has a wasp preditor. Get rid of wasps and we would lutterally drown in insects

Yay wasps…

jekkyl

They make any beach visit a nightmare espicially with any women or kids.

Northwind

We’ve got millions in the hedge just now, absolutely crawling with them. But they seem really chilled out for some reason, it must be full of waspnip or something. Fascinating to watch, when they’re not trying to sting you to bits.

johndoh
    Free Member

Went to Flamingo Land on Sunday – saw three people being stung, including our little girls’ friend. Our Izzi is now really freaked everytime she sees one.

Kill Wasp.

wilko1999
    Free Member

They absolutely decimated all the plums on our tree in the space of about 2 days a few weeks ago. You couldn’t get near the tree for the damn things. Just spent 4 days in Vilnius and they saw their way clear to landing on every meal I had and helping themselves to some. Greedy sods

slimjim78
    Free Member

Quins!

onewheelgood

We have a large oak tree in our garden, inhabited at this time of year by some kind of insect which produces nectar. This falls on our cars which are parked below. Wasps like this nectar, and typically there will be 40 or 50 wasps on my car. You have to be pretty careful when getting into the car that none of the buggers follow you in. In previous years I’ve tried killing them, but there seems to be a pretty infinite supply of wasps so it never made much difference.

slimjim78
    Free Member

What we need is a Wasp/Bee cross species (lets say, a ‘Wee’) , that way we can breed out the inherent problems with Wasps, and end up with freindly little Wee’s buzzing around instead!

Ahh!

Sandwich

The one that got inside my jersey yesterday stung me when I brushed at the heart rate monitor strap. I then let it out to die as it had left the sting behind bee-style. Mrs Sandwich ministered to my hurty when I got home and discovered the sting.

onandon
    Free Member

last week I was stung between the fingers. that hurt quite a bit 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I know a young man from Dundee
    Who got stung on the leg
    By a wasp
    When asked if it hurt
    He said ‘no, not a lot and it can do it again if it wants’.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why a plant that is so prevalent needs self defence is beyond me.

Well.. maybe the self defence just works…

As for wasps – ok, they might keep insect numbers down. What about mosquitos though?

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Taking a few photo’s of my nephew on a merry-go-round on sunday .. proper town centre location.
    See something fly to my arm in the corner of my eye.
    Stung a split second later, completely unprovoked.
    Shake my arm, swear really loud (unfortunately in front of the kiddies)
    get stung again.
    shake my arm again .. wasp still on there .. stung again
    See sense, flick it off, stamp on it.
    Ouch.
    Ouch
    Ouch.
    Then 4 hours later, almost a similar occurance but I was ready for it as it landed this time and swept straight away.

warton
    Free Member

they were everywhere in wallington hall yesterday. my wife and I hate them, but I at least keep it together when Warton junior is around. My wife not so, running around like a woman possessed, now William does the same 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

The ones in our garden appear to be quite a bit more fragile than usual. Easy to kill with a bit of stiff plastic.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s not just wasps it’s also butterflies – there’s loads of the little feckers at the moment. Why can’t the dozy gits fly in a straight line ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Why can’t you?

toby1

So far this year I’ve killed about 40 … and enjoyed everyone of those.

Yesterday I took off a flipflop, knocked the little bugger out of mid air by throwing it at him, then crushed him with it. Flipflops are great wasp bats!

I got stung by a bee last week, I’ve not killed any of them and don’t plan to – it was trapped and panicked though.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Could be worse:

Woah!
    Another interesting thing about these big girls, is the battles between them and the local honey bees
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkIvM0dKhS8[/video]
    I make no apologies for that video 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I have a big wasp nest in my compost heap they are not bothering me even when tipping fresh cuttings on the heap.
    Down the garden its OK just 30 yards away but we do have a waspinator hanging where we eat al fresco

bloodynora
    Free Member

Just be thankfull we don’t have the Tarantula Hawk Wasp buzzing around our beer gardens….. As its name suggests it kills big spiders for a living 😯

samuri
    Free Member

I like it when you have some dead big tough guys who think they’re rocking cool, just walking along and then a wasp flies over to them and they’re all like EEEK and AAARRRGH and running around like little girls.

And for people who attract wasps.
    Wasps like sugar don’t they. Don’t eat sugar, wasps stop liking you.

yunki
    Free Member

WOW! Tarantula hawk wasp is pretty, but intimidating

organic355
    Free Member
    legend
    Free Member

any eating or drinking outside beware!!

Outside? Outside you say?? That’s nothing, we’ve got a nest in the eaves (converted attic so bugger all room in there) and the little shits like to make an appearance in the house. And, of course, the room they choose to use to make an appearance?? The bloody bathroom! Appearing from behind the toilet of all places 😯

There goes my peaceful time 🙁

Drac

Everywhere and very persistant this weekend – any eating or drinking outside beware!!

Warning outdoors can be a dangerous place.

They’re just wasps leave them alone and they return the favour.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not in the bloody loo they don’t Drac!

legend – get some expanding foam or something. Burn Mozzie coils in there to deter them, or the plug-in ones?

legend
    Free Member

Expanding foam’s a bloody great idea! Thanks

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Cut a lemon in half and stick a load of cloves into it. Keeps the wasps away.

senorj

Had one fly into my helmet last week. It stung my temple. Bastid. Ouch.

Houns

What Drac said. I was eating Sunday lunch at a pub outdoors yesterday, I had 4 wasps on/around me. The girl on the table was doing her nut, typical girly around wasps thing. I had to tell her to stop waving her arms around as both she and I would no doubt get stung. She didn’t listen, luckily her and her fella buggered off before the wasps or I lost our tempers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Wasps!’ is closed to new replies.