• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wasp Nest
  • sparkerfix

Looks like we’ve got wasps nesting in the front loft space judging by some activity outside the eaves. They aren’t bothering us and we can’t hear them from upstairs (we sleep in converted loft). So do I get rid or leave alone?

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Few years back I had to deal with one the size of a bean bag in our loft crawl space(story tellers license applies but it did span more than two rafters). Since then my policy has been get rid of any that I notice while they are still small and easy.

Wasp nest foaming spray works a treat. If its relatively small and easy to access a wee spray in the entry point might be enough so get them gone.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And powder, just douse the entrance, works within hours.

Had one a few weeks back, I wouldn’t have been bothered, but they were surrounding the area the wife gets in and out her car, dozens of them.

dannyh
    Free Member

Powder around the entrance is the best catch-all option as the nests are often difficult to access. I’ve never had to do it more than twice to get rid of them.

hols2
    Free Member

ta11pau1

Or, powder. Make sure to do it in the evening when they’re less active, and have a quick ‘escape route’ planned…

holmes81
    Free Member

I jave just delt with a nest in a shed after leaving it.

Leavig it resulted in a much larger nest and multiple stings to the head.

Sort it now.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Dealt with one under our deck last year. Got a tin of spray stuff from B&Q which said a few squirts into the entrance of the nest will sort it so I unloaded the full can into there and no more wasps. Ever 😀

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’d argue if it’s not bothering you leave it alone, they’ll “disappear” later in the year and until then they’re important pest control and pollinators.

If they’re bothering you, powder stuff.

timbog160

Get someone in, esp if it’s in a confined space. It’s only after you try to deal with it yourself you’ll realise it’s the best £100 you ever spent😂

goldfish24

Your local council should have a team to take care of it. Cost to you will be something like £30. Don’t go farting round up a ladder, too dangerous (the ladder)
    That’s what we did. I’m all for leaving them bee, but not in the fabric of the house. Nest was size of a bean bag by the time we made our mind up! And too many coming in the nearby window.
    I leave the ones on the shed.

beamers

We’ve just had our wasp man round to deal with a nest between the tiles and felt (or what ever “felt” is these days).

We get them nesting most years, different part of the roof each year. According to the wasp man they are attracted to the black gutters.

£40 and jobs a good un. (Avoiding getting stung/falling off of a ladder/serious injury/etc.)

NZCol

We had same last week, they were in the cavity between the GIb and old brick wall, i could hear them at night. 40 quid to the wasp man to nuke them, after a few hours all was quiet again.

Freester

Had similar just after a previous thread on here a few weeks back.

If they are going in / out from the outside get the powder. I got some Rentokil stuff from Amazon.

The entrance was in the eaves and I could reach the entrance from the bedroom window. So one night around 1030PM donned riot gear (well jacket / gloves / hat goggles and gave the entrance to the nest a good dousing. Did I say I, I meant Mrs F 😛

Activity decreased. I had to treat it again 3 or 4 more times before the activity stopped.

I felt bad. I didn’t like seeing dead and dying wasps on the pavement below. But it was right above the front gate and my bedroom window. I didn’t want the bang of the gate angering them and attacking the delivery people. I definitely didn’t want them in my bedroom.

Reminds me I need to go up in the loft and have a look at the next I reckon it was a big one.

ac505
    Free Member

I recently foamed a nest as it was growing rapidly and too close to where the children play. The nest was the usual spherical shape. Clearly the wasps weren’t too happy with me destroying their home. In retaliation what few were left rebuilt, but this time with the nest resembling a mummified c0ck.
    I’m actually quite impressed by their response!

unovolo
    Free Member

Personally I would say if there not affecting you or your neighbours then leave alone, as previously said they are good pollinators and overall are more beneficial.

That said as the nests are made predominately from wood fibre/pulp there is a increased chance of fire risk but dont recall ever hearing someones house/shed/garage etc has burnt down because of a wasps nest.

According to the wasp man they are attracted to the black gutters.

I’d call bullshit on that one.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wasps are pollenators? Really? I thought they were just assholes.

beamers

I’d call bullshit on that one.

I thought the same when Mrs B was recounting her conversation with the wasp man.

dannyh
    Free Member

Wasps are pollenators? Really? I thought they were just assholes.

They are important pollinators. Red flowers, I believe, are largely co-evolved to be pollinated by wasps.

I’ve only ever dealt with them when they’ve become a real nuisance. It’s not easy to get to sleep at night when you can hear them munching the back of the coving in the bedroom.

project
    Free Member

A few years ago wasps nest in a timber store,lovely clever things, then i noticed the door was in need of a few screws in the hinge, so went to get electric screwdriver, got one screw almost in a nd a herd of them flew out, very angry at the disturbance of their afternoon siesta, they chased me round the large garden till i found a sheltered tree a bit dull underneath and they dont like dull or dark palaces outside, picked up a shovel and started battering them away, got a few stings and one on the eyelid, they hurt, but they are only defending their home.

Seems as if the noise of the electric screwdriver upset them like large humming swarm.

Kuco

I’ve just put a load of wasp powder into the nest above the bay window in my flat. The noise of the wasp dying is not good 🙁 I really didn’t want to kill them but I can’t have them living in the flat.

Nearly every insect especially those capable of flying are important pollinators.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wasp Nest’ is closed to new replies.