Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Wasn’t expecting that.. Rick Astley
  • Kryton57

Christ. I thought he’d died for a minute there.

funkmasterp

enjoy The Smiths

Not possible

matt_outandabout

Did he give it up?

desperatebicycle

I don’t understand!
    Would anyone who liked the Smiths want to see or hear that?
    And would anyone who was into Rick **** Astley want to see/hear him do Smiths songs?

ads678

Did he give it up

Never.

thepurist

I thought he’d died for a minute there

Nah he’s never gonna say goodbye.

MSP

He is rickrolling both sets of fans, he is a **** comedy genius!

sirromj

**** me now I’m thinking of Morrisey singing Abba. Thanks.

CountZero

Well, ‘The Visitors’ is full of breakup songs, so there could be some interesting versions.
    If only Moz hadn’t turned into such a reactionary jackass.

nedrapier

It’s night-night for Rick:

dirkpitt74

Kryton57

Christ. I thought he’d died for a minute there.

Apparently not – but I did hear a rumour that Van Morrison has……..

reeksy

Hmmm… methinks we need a separate thread for unlikely collaborations.

Ozric Tentacles perform the hits of Kylie Minogue…

kayak23

Never gonna…get what I want, this time…

batfink
    Free Member

nedrapier
    It’s night-night for Rick:

That’s my kid’s favorite bed time story / Jackanory

Mine is anything read by Rosamund Pike

dudeofdoom

Dunno, sometimes singers can surprise.

Strangely I’ve seen Sonia live a few times and she was very good with a few covers and good entertainment.

I suppose they get put in a pigeon hole as part of the pop star process.

MoreCashThanDash

I know Rick Astley does a lot of charity gigs, so it’s only fair he tries to help out Morrisey

kerley
    Free Member

I know Rick Astley does a lot of charity gigs, so it’s only fair he tries to help out Morrisey

I think he is beyond help as he has reached that age and gone full right wing nutter as many people do. The Smiths were one of my favourite bands in the 80’s but can’t listen to them now.
    At least Mark E Smith didn’t let me down

jam-bo

Disappointed. I expected to be Rick-rolled by that first link.

nbt

Well, I saw the ad and thought “WTF?”

but then I saw this

If times weren’t weird (like the The Before Times) and I felt ready to go to gigs, I’d go to that

zilog6128

Dunno, sometimes singers can surprise.

I accidentally saw a RA gig once when he supported a Peter Kay show. He’s a far, far better singer than Morrissey plus, crucially, he always comes across as a top bloke. Would much rather watch him perform and/or go for a pint with him 😀

EDIT:some great quotes in this article! https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/morrissey-rick-astley-blossoms-the-smiths-b1920543.html

Fans of the English rock band are now tweeting that they’d rather watch Astley perform Smiths songs than “watch Morrissey do anything”.

lovewookie

If times weren’t weird (like the The Before Times) and I felt ready to go to gigs, I’d go to that

definitely this.

nedrapier

Mine is anything read by Rosamund Pike

Mmmm. I don’t mind too much when hers get chosen either!

Matt Berry, while not quite as sexy, is another favourite.

orangespyderman

I accidentally saw a RA gig once when he supported a Peter Kay show. He’s a far, far better singer than Morrissey plus, crucially, he always comes across as a top bloke. Would much rather watch him perform and/or go for a pint with him 😀

I came here to say the same thing, except I haven’t seen him live. I’ve heard him play some sets on the radio a few times, including some unusual cover songs and it’s always pretty enjoyable, he sings well and absolutely seems to love all sorts of music and comes across as an unassuming nice guy. I’d go to see him in a gig even if he were to play Smiths covers… 🙂

kayak23

pretty enjoyable, he sings well and absolutely seems to love all sorts of music and comes across as an unassuming nice guy.

Sounds like a cabaret act. 😴

wbo
    Free Member

Heard an interview with him about this. He’s an enormous Smiths fan and has always wanted to do this , and from what I’ve heard I think it would be very, very good.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks fun and he seems like a top bloke, but I’ll hold out for him to do The Pastels or Felt.

Never really liked The Smiths.

northernmatt

Rick Astley with the Foo Fighters doing Never Gonna Give You Up is a good find on Youtube. As others have said, seems a nice bloke.

And also have others have said, Morrissey is an arsehole.

midlifecrashes

I’ve seen Blossoms live, personality and good material are overdue.

Stainypants

I’m going if I can get a ticket. It will be fun and surreal, like the last night of Bludot one year with Steve Davis playing deep house, looking like he may have taken something pharmaceutical. It might not even sure he was playing the records but I’ll never forget it.

Bunnyhop

I love the band Blossoms, I’ve seen Rick Astley live, he was brilliant. I’ve made curtains for Johnny Marr, what’ts not to like.

llama

Looks and sounds better than Morrissey tbh

espressoal
    Free Member

Looks like the sort of thing you get on the stage of a booze cruise channel ferry.

jamj1974

Sold out within maybe 5 seconds. I am a regular buyer of tickets in high demand (For my own use, before anyone asks!) and that was crazy!

fossy

Damn, they went on sale this morning for Albert Hall Manchester.

I’ve seen him at 80’s music concerts, and he’s a really fun bloke. We were all there in the ‘piddling’ rain, and he came on, saw everyone was soaked, so chucked a jug of water all over himself. Said, well if your all soaked, I need to be too.

desperatebicycle

Sold out within maybe 5 seconds

Black Lace should reform and tour… maybe with Mr. Blobby as support. There’s obviously a big market for novelty acts.

jamj1974

I don’t agree that it’s a “novelty” and certainly not anywhere as desperate as Black Lace.

Singer who is a big fan of the original band and has a good voice – decides to perform a small set of gigs covering their songs. More a bit of a passion project.

I’m not an Astley fan, but the man can actually sing. I was trying to get tickets purely because a set made up entirely of Smiths songs done well would make a great night.

Johnny Marr performs a few of them in his live set and does a pretty good job – and certainly better than Morrisey himself. I’ve seen him a couple of times in the last 15 years and he just bellows the vocals now. I wouldn’t give him my money any more anyway – not in the last 5 years certainly.

brads
    Free Member

I had Rick Astley hair at my wedding.

Big fan.

Smiths, not big fan.

RustySpanner

Big fan of The Smiths (Hence the username) and Mr Astley.
    Bring it on.

They should reform with Rick as the frontman, can you imagine how pissed off Hauptmann Morrissey would be at that?

Pyro

I don’t understand!
    Would anyone who liked the Smiths want to see or hear that?
    And would anyone who was into Rick **** Astley want to see/hear him do Smiths songs?

FTFY 😉

(Less facetiously: He can’t sing them any worse than Morrissey did, as has been proved but various other covers over the years…)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Wasn’t expecting that.. Rick Astley’ is closed to new replies.