washingmachinetrackworld

Home Forum Chat Forum washingmachinetrackworld

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • washingmachinetrackworld
  • Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

have a go yourself.

We have both an AEG dryer and an AEG WM from 1997 and they have been excellent. Ive repaired the dryer (new belt), not had to do anything to the WM.

I guess maybe AEG dont manufacture their own goods anymore, but if they do its well worth keeping hold of. They are usually worth repairing, unlike the junkier brands.

Dickyboy

motor brushes gone at a guess – might be cheap fix unless internal motor fuse is blown too

eskay

9 times out of ten that will be the motor brushes. Look on espares for replacement.

Make sure you unplug it before working on it. Sounds obvious but easy to overlook!

b r

Option 3 is the obvious answer, but since rather than doing that you posted on here – go for Option 2 🙂

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

We’ve got an AEG which is over 5 years old but has always done a good job.

Woke up this morning to find a drum full of wet washing. Further investigation reveals that while water will pump in and out, there’s no movevent from the drum and no noise when it should be trying to move the drum.

I guess my options are:-
    1 new machine
    2 try for professionalssional repair (would it be cost effective)
    3 ha e a go myself in the hope it’s either a slipped/snapped belt or a dead motor of standard (cheap) spec. (might be wasting time while laundry builds up)

Your thoughts, experience and advice please.

I’ll be back soon with a “what washing machine?” thread.
    Cheers.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Only posted on here rather than option 3 as the machine is still at home and I’ve gone to work. If I took it with me, there wouldn’t be room in my bag for sandwiches

toby1

Usually if it’s the brushes you would hear a clicking when it is trying to spin the motor. Maybe not though.

Honestly it’s a really easy replacement and cheap parts too – well worth the effort in my experience.

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

Have it repaired.
    My old hotpoint got a further 5 years after being repaired.
    Oi you, stop breaking things 😉

Edit: YOu mean you don’t carry a kitchen sink in your bag?

cvilla

If you have a go, remember the obvious turn OFF the power!
    Then also check for any loose cables or connectors, if a heavy spin cycle can disconnect wires. But 5 years OK so maybe motor brushes, then look on line for spares.
    Good luck.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Thanks for the advice folks. I’ll have it apart later in the week and check the motor specs.

Bunnyhop, I didn’t break the washing machine or the bike bag.
    Just always come down to me to fix things though.

lasty

AEGs are great quality machines – well worth repairing, and as it sounds like the brushes an easy fix ….

globalti

Brushes. Buy replacements from your local independent repairer. When you go to collect them don’t trip over the dozens of broken Dyson vacs waiting to be fixed.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Don’t say that, the Dyson is working fine right now.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

If anyone is interested, it was just the motor brushes and everything is working now. The only hic-cup was that the brushes came with the chamfer cut in the wrong direction so I had to file 6 months off them to turn them around. Still, at £15 including next day postage, I can’t grumble too much. Way cheaper than a new machine.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

well done. Bet you feel like a Real Man now 😀

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I do, but the wife says I can’t have one. Too much DIY still needs doing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘washingmachinetrackworld’ is closed to new replies.